Mo Neal? | Syracusefan.com

Mo Neal?

All4SU

Duos Cultores Scientia Coronat et Go Aureum
Anyone? Bueller?

Just bizarre.

Lol our coordinators really put on a disservice for guys that had a punchers chance this year.

I loved what I saw from Moe throughout his career.
i agree. if we were absolue garbage last year moe and TJ would have been late draft picks imo

I was rewatching the SU v Clemson game from ‘18. Announcers went on about Ishmael being one of the top guys in the country. He doesn’t get drafted. Dungey. Strickland. Phillips. Ishmael. Coleman. I don’t get it. I understand systems can make guys look better. But the disparity between production and draft result just seems too disparate. I feel like something else is at work.

Last edited:
I was rewatching the SU v Clemson game from ‘18. Announcers went on about Ishmael being one of the top guys in the country. He doesn’t get drafted. Dungey. Strickland. Phillips. Ishmael. Coleman. I don’t get it. I understand systems can make guys look better. But the disparity between production and draft result just seems too disparate. I feel like something else is at work.
Maybe we have decent talent, a good strength and conditioning system and up until this point a pool of good buddy assistants who proved they don’t cut it at a p5 level.

Sure, the tattered O line and Slayton leaving are legitimate issues. But at what point do we just recognize our assistants were no bueno

I love moe and hope he and every cuse player gets a shot . As fans we sometimes lose reality, you have to be freak talent in most cases to make it to the NFL .Sorry to say our guys aren’t freak talents and the proof is in recent drafts . For our offensive skill players I feel for them close your eyes and imagine if our O line was ranked 60th how much better would we have been ?
I’m sorry to beat a dead horse but LAST IS LAST ! No power 5 team should ever be last in any category no EXCUSES!

• Coleman was always going to be late round to UDFA.
  • Dungey's health was the red flag.
  • Ishmael not getting drafted was hard to understand. 1st team All-ACC and an All-American.
  • Strickland's numbers weren't great because he shared carries with Moe Neal and Jarveon Howard.
The offensive line being as bad as it was hurt these guys chances this year. Neal should have been a 1,000+ yard rusher. He had less yards in 2019 than 2018 on more carries. Jackson probably could have been a 1500 yard receiver. Devito's chances of getting drafted took a huge hit because of what he played behind.

Lastly, the NFL is hard to make. The best of the best make it to that level. It's a shame the virus caused the XFL to implode because some SU guys could have got their second chance to show and prove there.

I love our guys and want to see them get a shot, but I just don't think we're going to see more Cuse draft picks until our recruiting improves a bit.

Even Baylor was only getting a few draft picks a year when Briles was there.

The NFL is talent and or physical skills. Then you need the luck to get to the right spot with the right team.

There is a reason someone like Mungro had a decent NFL career and someone like Neal might not really get a shot.. to be an NFL running back you either need to run by/over people or make them miss.. Can you really point at any of those things in Neals SU career on any consistent basis.

Carter had a shot but injuries slowed him too much.

Neal was a nice system back at SU and system guys in the right system can be great, But can you really go back and find many plays that were not just hit the hole and run until contact?

as for WRs, there are 30-40-50 guys who pretty much do the same thing trying to get into the NFL every yr. You need to again run by guys or create space to make it in the NFL and very few get by by being the physical dude. Jackson has a higher upside than Ishmael but he drops so many its hard to even get the shot to show it.

I would take Neal over the RB my Jets drafted in the 4th. He has averaged over 5 yards per carry all 4 years, running behind a mediocre at best, OL. I think a few of the teams will pick anyone who comes from the top SEC schools like Alabama, LSU etc, which is silly is many cases like RB, because they're running behind superior OL's with holes I could run through at times.

Last edited:
Eh. I like Moe and hope he makes it. I’m trying to think of SU RB’s in like the last 30 years who have made the NFL.

Mungro, Carter, Brinkley, Brown(kinda)...is that it? Kirby Dar Dar was there a little, but as a WR/KR.

Lots of productive RBs that were good college players who didn’t make it...Walker, Malcolm Thomas, Reyes, Rhodes, Bailey, Gulley, Smith...is Neal a notably better prospect than those guys?

Maybe we have decent talent, a good strength and conditioning system and up until this point a pool of good buddy assistants who proved they don’t cut it at a p5 level.

Sure, the tattered O line and Slayton leaving are legitimate issues. But at what point do we just recognize our assistants were no bueno
If SU has such an absence of talent, yet can go 10-3 and 5-7, then those assistants must be great. Your premise is 180 degrees illogical in my opinion. There is no way such mediocre players defeat ACC teams without great coaching. I suspect there’s some middle ground here that is at play.

Lol our coordinators really put on a disservice for guys that had a punchers chance this year.

I loved what I saw from Moe throughout his career.
Me too. Expected him to be undrafted but still sign. What the hell is going on.

If SU has such an absence of talent, yet can go 10-3 and 5-7, then those assistants must be great. Your premise is 180 degrees illogical in my opinion. There is no way such mediocre players defeat ACC teams without great coaching. I suspect there’s some middle ground here that is at play.
No.

I think we won 10 games because we had a great college quarterback who hid our offensive coach’s limitations. We also had a 5tech manbeast in the middle of our d line that anchored the D.

Our talent gap isnt as large as some here say. It’s our staff, which is why it looks so different heading into this spring.

No.

I think we won 10 games because we had a great college quarterback who hid our offensive coach’s limitations. We also had a 5tech manbeast in the middle of our d line that anchored the D.

Our talent gap isnt as large as some here say. It’s our staff, which is why it looks so different heading into this spring.
Going to have to disagree with you.
And that “5tech manbeast” barely eeked into the draft in the 7th round. That QB didn’t get drafted at all.

for all the huge holes guys like ALA Rbs get to run thru you can still see several plays a game that POP.. you would find it hard to see that in a whole season of our RBs.

Jackson for all his drops did have those Hmm moments.. He has some NFL moments but that doesnt make an NFL career.

Even with our OL, moe wasn’t a draft worthy nfl talent. He never jumped off the screen.

Loved Moe, & not to be a Debbie Downer but there were quite a few times when he was caught from behind on long runs, even on perhaps his best run ever vs WVU in the Camping Bowl game. He was kind of a tweener; not big enough to consistently break tackles, and not fast enough to be a dependable homerun threat.
I’m not surprised he went undrafted, but he’s the kind of kid who, if given an opportunity, might earn a practice squad spot and then with hard work, who knows?

Eh. I like Moe and hope he makes it. I’m trying to think of SU RB’s in like the last 30 years who have made the NFL.

Mungro, Carter, Brinkley, Brown(kinda)...is that it? Kirby Dar Dar was there a little, but as a WR/KR.

Lots of productive RBs that were good college players who didn’t make it...Walker, Malcolm Thomas, Reyes, Rhodes, Bailey, Gulley, Smith...is Neal a notably better prospect than those guys?

How do you leave Joe Morris off the list?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom