Montreal | Syracusefan.com

Montreal

ScrabbCuse

Starter
Heading to Montreal for New Years. First time visiting. Any recommendations on things I should do/see while I’m there?

Went there often as a kid/young adult but the last time was 2004.

We always stayed at Le Centre Sheraton on Rene Levesque, which was where the Major League Baseball teams stayed. Great location near restaurants and shopping and nice city views from the rooms. It’s right next to where the Canadians play.

i remember going to lunch at Reubens quite a few times, which had really good Reubens and was on Sainte Catherine St., which is the Main Street in that city.

That’s all I got.

Don't let Oburg scare you. Montrealers all speak English too, even if they get a bit fussy about doing so.

I used to go up for work frequently. Stayed at the Hilton Garden-Inn Centre-Ville most of the time. Really like this location and hotel - even brought my wife and kid up for a quick weekend away. Not far from St. Catherine, really close to museums and McGill.

Used to go to a great Indian restaurant nearby called Darbar (Location | Darbar). Plenty of other options within walking and the public transport is easy to get around on as well.

If I think of other options I'll let you know. Have fun! It's been over two years since we've been up. Time to rectify that.

Don't let Oburg scare you. Montrealers all speak English too, even if they get a bit fussy about doing so.

I used to go up for work frequently. Stayed at the Hilton Garden-Inn Centre-Ville most of the time. Really like this location and hotel - even brought my wife and kid up for a quick weekend away. Not far from St. Catherine, really close to museums and McGill.

Used to go to a great Indian restaurant nearby called Darbar (Location | Darbar). Plenty of other options within walking and the public transport is easy to get around on as well.

If I think of other options I'll let you know. Have fun! It's been over two years since we've been up. Time to rectify that.
Thanks for the recommendations! Excited for my trip.

Heading to Montreal for New Years. First time visiting. Any recommendations on things I should do/see while I’m there?
We went to Montreal for New Years a few years ago. I've lived in upstate NY my entire life but this was the coldest weather I ever experienced. Pick a nice hotel downtown and make dinner reservations in advance especially since it is on a weekend this year. Try to go to places not too far off the metro for ease in getting around.

Don't let Oburg scare you. Montrealers all speak English too
Yeah I didn’t understand that. I’ve been to Montreal many times and can’t speak a word of French.

The nice/extremely obnoxious benefit of being a native English speaker is you can basically go anywhere on Earth and speak English and the other person is expected to accommodate you.

Yeah I didn’t understand that. I’ve been to Montreal many times and can’t speak a word of French.

The nice/extremely obnoxious benefit of being a native English speaker is you can basically go anywhere on Earth and speak English and the other person is expected to accommodate you.
You’re experiences have not been mine, or, my wife’s

First, do you need company? They have plenty of that available!

Second, re: where to stay.

If I take the train I may opt for the Marriott right above the station. Typically, I would stay at the Delta, Renaissance, or Westin. They're pretty central to what I consider the two touristy areas, but not directly in either one. I only do Marriott though, so you likely have FAR more options!

I'd assume you want to be closer to Old Montreal, unless you're really into shopping, so I'd go with Westin (area) tbh, or just go straight up in Old Montreal.

Everything is walkable, much of it you can navigate underground, but if there is snow and ice they are the worst city I've seen in Canada for snow/ice removal on sidewalks. Still likely better than any place in the US, but for Canada, abysmal.

Third, if you're near McGill nobody speaks French. If you try to do the polite thing and say "Bonjour" they'll look at you like you're a madman. In the old MTL, and some other parts (neighborhoods), they're a little French(ier), but not much. You do not need ANY French there. If you're driving, and stopping randomly in small town Quebec for any reason, those people can be weird AF.

Fourth, driving in Montreal is a ************ing nightmare. If you suck at driving time it to avoid traffic. Construction is always awful, GPS seems confused too often, and the HWY has the dumbest merging/exit system for highways you'll ever encounter in your life. It's like Criss/Cross/Crash but for real life.

Uhhh, I don't know, this is already too long. I'll stop, but if you want more info, recs on food, things to do, whatever, let me know.
Great point about GPS. It don’t like skyscraper canyons

my wifes family was from Montreal. You dont need to speak french. Go to Old Montreal. Cool area.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 7.24.35 AM.png

I'm not sure how much time you have but if you're able to add on a little side trip to Quebec City, it is the most wonderful place ever. I can't recommend it enough.

upper-town-winter-old-quebec-city-canada.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much time you have but if you're able to add on a little side trip to Quebec City, it is the most wonderful place ever. I can't recommend it enough.

upper-town-winter-old-quebec-city-canada.jpg

He ain't wrong.

Even if it means adding some time on the trip...worth it.

Tremblant isn't far (maybe 2 hours) and nice enough as well if you like ski village(y) vibes.

But QC in the winter is like being in a snow globe. lol it's cool af

I'll toss out a few ideas, if you're desperate...

Sunset(ish) it's worth heading up Mont Royal. In the Winter I wouldn't dream of walking. Not sure if the view is as great as it is in the fall, but still probably worth the trip. I think you can drive up??????

Notre Dame Cathedral does a cool light show around that time of year (check though, not sure how COVID impacts such things)

I don't know if it's open, but one of our clients always takes us to the rotating restaurant - entertaining enough, and food is good.

Otherwise, museums and such, and walking about Old Montreal...yada, yada, yada. Not sure if you like touristy for food/shopping, but I prefer not eating/drinking in Old Montreal. Cheaper, better, etc...That sorta depends on personal preferences though.

Also, people used to tell me about the "underground city" which I fashioned in my head as some spectacular underground city. It's not. It's just a mall - unless I'm missing something.

I'll toss out a few ideas, if you're desperate...

Sunset(ish) it's worth heading up Mont Royal. In the Winter I wouldn't dream of walking. Not sure if the view is as great as it is in the fall, but still probably worth the trip. I think you can drive up??????

Notre Dame Cathedral does a cool light show around that time of year (check though, not sure how COVID impacts such things)

I don't know if it's open, but one of our clients always takes us to the rotating restaurant - entertaining enough, and food is good.

Otherwise, museums and such, and walking about Old Montreal...yada, yada, yada. Not sure if you like touristy for food/shopping, but I prefer not eating/drinking in Old Montreal. Cheaper, better, etc...That sorta depends on personal preferences though.

Also, people used to tell me about the "underground city" which I fashioned in my head as some spectacular underground city. It's not. It's just a mall - unless I'm missing something.
I agree with you on skipping the meals in Old Montreal. Feels too touristy. Expensive and food that's just fine. I'm definitely not above grabbing a drink there to take a break from the cold and walking though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom