Montreal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Montreal

"i once dated a girl at MCGILL..."

(you can all finish the limerick)

I hope you speak French

In Montreal, particularly downtown its not so bad. You will run into the odd French jerk (that will happen and just take it in as part of the experience), but will generally be able to find someone to help with no more than a few tries at worst. I am close to fully bilingual, but I always try English first in downtown, but if I sense someone has a bad accent I veer off.

If you veer towards the east end of the city it becomes more of a problem. But don't think you would go out to east end. All that is out there is the Big Owe and that would be a pass for most people.

.I went for a walk around the Big Owe grounds in early October, but that was more cathartic as an Expo fan. It was interesting to still see the odd remnants of the 1976 Olympics and for me just brought back some Expos memories. So personally for me it was very enjoyable and good exercise to walk around for about 4 hours (including the park to the north), but I suspect that it would not be enjoyable for most. I had went to many games in the past, but it was typically at night and hadn't walked around the grounds during the day for many, many years.. They were also giving a fresh coat of paint to the exterior of the roof for some reason.

Last edited:
You can pass on visiting Montreal "landmark" Club SuperSexe.
The building burned down a few weeks ago.

(Apparently it has been closed for a few years)

Last edited:
QC should just run marketing campaigns in the US that say, "Do you want to go to Europe, but you're too lazy to bother? Afraid of flying? Well, we got an answer for you!"
Actually they do market that way.

I have seen a number of ads over the years for Quebec City and even Montreal that advertise the European element of it.

It’s actually extremely English these days. But avoid our dumpster fire of a hockey team which is a shame because normally the games are super fun to go.

It’s actually extremely English these days. But avoid our dumpster fire of a hockey team which is a shame because normally the games are super fun to go.

On the bright side, tickets are much more accessible this year.

Because of Covid Leeriness, and some not being allowed in due to Passports, Montreal (and even Toronto) still had some tickets available for games.

And for Montreal there will be even less demand now that they stink so badly.

Last edited:

On the bright side, tickets are much more accessible this year.

Because of Covid Leeriness, and some not being allowed in due to Passports, Montreal (and even Toronto) still had some tickets available for games.

And for Montreal there will be even less demand now that they stink so badly.
I was looking forward to going to a Canadiens game but of course they’ll be in the state of Florida when I’m there. Maybe next time.

I like a lot of the advice on this thread.

We went to Quebec City and then hit Montreal on the way back down in 2018.

I had been to Montreal several times while at SU but hadn't been back since I graduated in the early 90s.

As was noted by Eric and Ghost, Quebec City is just phenomenal and we definitely also thought it was Europe lite. Montreal is definitely fun though, and you'll have a great time.

Seeing the Rangers play at Montreal (and Toronto) is on my bucket list. Hope I can make that happen someday!

Our experience is always a little different because I have Celiac Disease and have to eat gluten free. That often means going outside of more popular areas.

Not sure what's going on with them in the winter, but the Montreal Markets were awesome. Find some bakeries... we went to a gluten free one and it was one of the best we've ever been to after my diagnosis 15+ years ago.

Mondavie was our favorite restaurant. They had some live music that was great and the food was fantastic. We went to a couple steak houses, like Vieux-Port , which were definitely good but we liked Mondavie better.

Order Poutine. Then try more Poutine. After that head out and find some Poutine.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Heading to Montreal for New Years. First time visiting. Any recommendations on things I should do/see while I’m there?
One of my favorite towns. The underground city is unreal. Great restaurants in Old Town.

Sadly, I have to postpone my trip for a date tbd. Bars are completely shut down in Quebec. Restaurants are at half capacity now and a lot of the ones I’ve looked into are closed completely. The airport in Montreal is offering rapid tests upon departure but at $300 per test. Montreal looks lovely and I hope to get there by next November (before my plane tickets expire). Just not worth the hassle now while everything is shutting down again.

Sadly, I have to postpone my trip for a date tbd. Bars are completely shut down in Quebec. Restaurants are at half capacity now and a lot of the ones I’ve looked into are closed completely. The airport in Montreal is offering rapid tests upon departure but at $300 per test. Montreal looks lovely and I hope to get there by next November (before my plane tickets expire). Just not worth the hassle now while everything is shutting down again.
International travel sucks right now. I had a trip planned for Barbados that we recently switched to St. Thomas USVI because the rules currently make it easier to get in and out of. Still hoping to go but there is still a chance that we will have to postpone it also.

Sorry, Brother. Hopefully things change quickly and you can make it happen soon... we went in the summer and it was perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom