More evidence Pete Thamel is the most ungrateful Syracuse alum ever | Syracusefan.com

More evidence Pete Thamel is the most ungrateful Syracuse alum ever

I assume the thinking is that if Clemson lost, the ACC would not have representation in the CFP. A little reactionary, but whatev.
I am assuming that's his take. But an alum with orange glasses, as they should be wearing, would look at a Cuse victory over Clemson in deathvalley as an opportunity for Syracuse to make the CFP?

I used to like him when he wrote for the Daily Orange? What happened

I assume the thinking is that if Clemson lost, the ACC would not have representation in the CFP. A little reactionary, but whatev.

I don’t know...it’s that kind of miserable, cynical stuff that makes sports not even fun to follow when it’s all you hear from these guys.

How about an “upset alert! Syracuse punches it in on 4th to take a 10 point 4th quarter lead at Clemson!” tweet instead?

Find me evidence that Thamel has even written anything positive about Syracuse and maybe you would be right.
Thamel has been very negative towards Syracuse outside Dr. Gross feeding stuff from 2008 to 2010.
Gross was Thamel’s source on SU entering the ACC. He had it first in The NY Times because of Gross.
Outside of that he is very negative towards his Alma mater.

I don’t know...it’s that kind of miserable, cynical stuff that makes sports not even fun to follow when it’s all you hear from these guys.

How about an “upset alert! Syracuse punches it in on 4th to take a 10 point 4th quarter lead at Clemson!” tweet instead?

He’s a POS.

He’s a POS.

I can tell, just from the limited attention I pay to him.

The general thinking anytime one of the like 7 preordained teams that are “allowed” to win a championship loses and people are all “lulz, the _____conference is soooo bad, so and so lost, what a disaster”...not a fan. Not at all.

Let Clemson be leading Syracuse by 10 in the second half of an ACC Tourney basketball game, and what’s the tweet? “Disaster for ACC?” I doubt it.

I wish newhouse were less a-holey

I'd like to think he's a special breed and not indicative of the greater population.

I know people here are often too sensitive, but Thamel qualifies as worth it to me. Strikes me as a weasel who just can't wait to take shots.

He gets a lot of scoops. I think he is a good journalist who has a lot of contacts.

It does look to me as though he makes it a point to show he is objective when discussing Syracuse athletics. Sometimes to the point where he appears antagonistic to the program.

That said, I know he has been a good mentor to a bunch of young journalists from Newhouse, including our own Stephen Bailey. I have heard a few of them say good things about him taking time to help them.

He isn’t all bad.

He gets a lot of scoops. I think he is a good journalist who has a lot of contacts.

It does look to me as though he makes it a point to show he is objective when discussing Syracuse athletics. Sometimes to the point where he appears antagonistic to the program.

That said, I know he has been a good mentor to a bunch of young journalists from Newhouse, including our own Stephen Bailey. I have heard a few of them say good things about him taking time to help them.

He isn’t all bad.

One thing I will say about his scoops is he gets more of then from anonymous sources than anyone I know and I am not sure how I feel about that.

One thing I will say about his scoops is he gets more of then from anonymous sources than anyone I know and I am not sure how I feel about that.
This is false. The very nature of the scoops business is "anonymous" sources - it's team / athletic department employees sharing "not public" information. Everyone does it equally (Schefter / Glazer / Woj / etc.)

Also, sources being anonymous doesn't mean they're bad or wrong.

This is false. The very nature of the scoops business is "anonymous" sources - it's team / athletic department employees sharing "not public" information. Everyone does it equally (Schefter / Glazer / Woj / etc.)

The entire rumor mill of the sports industrial complex is fed on anonymous sources. Journalism can be a swap meet of information btw parties that don't want to chat directly.

Pete has built himself a great career. TBH, Syracuse sports are often a three ring circus more so than any other normal program. I feel like he's describing the program the way a normal person would describe it. Not sure he owes the university any favors in terms of positive coverage. Pravda like news coverage is usually more prevalent in the SEC and even when Bob Knight was at IU. He had his guys who made him look good.

I think we get swept away by his success and assume he owes the school positive coverage. If someone can point me to another Newhouse national college sports writer who is super Syracuse positive maybe I can put some perspective on it.

I think we get swept away by his success and assume he owes the school positive coverage. If someone can point me to another Newhouse national college sports writer who is super Syracuse positive maybe I can put some perspective on it.
Yeah, I feel like people expect any Newhouse grad to be like McDonough or Tirico - laudatory at all times about their alma mater. But the role of a Play-By-Play on TV is far different from that of a National beat writer in terms of approach, style, warmth, humor, etc.

We're not the only fanbase who thinks Thamel is an ***. But it's not his job to be a booster.

The entire rumor mill of the sports industrial complex is fed on anonymous sources. Journalism can be a swap meet of information btw parties that don't want to chat directly.

Pete has built himself a great career. TBH, Syracuse sports are often a three ring circus more so than any other normal program. I feel like he's describing the program the way a normal person would describe it. Not sure he owes the university any favors in terms of positive coverage. Pravda like news coverage is usually more prevalent in the SEC and even when Bob Knight was at IU. He had his guys who made him look good.

How is Syracuse a three ring circus? Honestly its pretty stable and predictable. Place isn't run by a bunch of nutjob donors and coaching and such is pretty predictable.

But how much does he give back to syracuse? Isn’t that what determines how good of an alum he is?

1623418556018.gif

I never said bad or wrong.

Is the media above criticism? Every time this topic comes up you get super defensive about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom