Most Surprising Commit? | Syracusefan.com

Most Surprising Commit?

Who is the most surprising commit?
I say Dior.

Of all time? Wow that’s a tough one. Rakeem kind of surprised me just because we already had Fab and we recruited him late from what I remember. Josh Pace came out of nowhere from what I remember as well. I may come up with more as I think about it.

Also, even though neither never actually played here, Bazely and Winfred Walton. I didn’t think we’d beat out Michigan State for Walton and remember calling in to some recruiting hotline to find out his commitment. As for Bazely, I thought he would be a late decider and I remember we got him only a couple days after losing Cole Swider. Too bad how it worked out with us for both of them.

Recently - Bazely.
Seemed like that came outta nowhere.
(and ended up right back nowhere.)

2nd - Frankie A.
Didn’t seem we had any chance at all there.
Especially w our 3 returning Bigs.

I didn’t really follow recruiting back in the day.

Red Autry. It was basically before the Internet, so I got all my info from Street and Smith’s, Big East Briefs, and Hoop Scoop. He was a big deal in part because he was on a great team (played with Brian Reese and Malik Sealy at Tolentine). Nothing I read had us in for Autry and then he committed.

Red Autry. It was basically before the Internet, so I got all my info from Street and Smith’s, Big East Briefs, and Hoop Scoop. He was a big deal in part because he was on a great team (played with Brian Reese and Malik Sealy at Tolentine). Nothing I read had us in for Autry and then he committed.
Good call...remember the same. Thought Pitt was on him as a fave back then.

Who is the most surprising commit?
I say Dior.
Greg Davis or Erik Rogers.

Their commitments were a surprise. Their contributions were not a surprise. ;)

On the positive side, maybe Jonny Flynn. When he committed, few knew who he was and most assumed he was a dud who was only offered to ensure that good friend and HS teammate Paul Harris honored his commitment to Syracuse.

Jonny made a lot of people on this board look stupid.

Uncle Drew only because he didn't even have to commit, he was so late in the cycle he could just complete the late course registration and get notes for the classes he missed from some of his classmates.

On the positive side, maybe Jonny Flynn. When he committed, few knew who he was and most assumed he was a dud who was only offered to ensure that good friend and HS teammate Paul Harris honored his commitment to Syracuse.

a lot of us thought paul & jonny were a package deal
and a lot of us thought that paul was the real prize in that package
but i don't recall anyone thinking that jonny was a "dud"

i'll add tyus battle to the list

yes we thought he was orange all along, but once he committed to michigan, getting him to decommit & fall back in love was quite surprising. to me, anyway

Jon was a year or two younger than Paul Harris. His commitment came after Paul’s Freshman year.

Last edited:
Uncle Drew only because he didn't even have to commit, he was so late in the cycle he could just complete the late course registration and get notes for the classes he missed from some of his classmates.
John gillon as well

a lot of us thought paul & jonny were a package deal
and a lot of us thought that paul was the real prize in that package
but i don't recall anyone thinking that jonny was a "dud"
There was a lot of angst about us giving him an offer and ‘wasting’ a scholarship. If you don’t remember it, you weren’t paying attention.

It wasn’t until that legendary game Niagara Falls played in Manley against JD that Jonny got respect from much of the board. He and Brendan Triche had a hell of a battle that game. It was the best HS game i have ever seen.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom