Moving to Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Moving to Syracuse

Walshjfii

Walk On
I will be moving to Syracuse later this month and was looking for a little housing advice. I was hoping to find out area's to avoid really. Right now the plan is to get an apartment or maybe a house to rent while we sell our current house, and take time to find a permanent place to buy. Hopefully it gives time for the market to go down for sales as well.
Ill be working near the Dome, and prefer a low crime, quiet area. Typical stuff you would want. Is there any complexes with crap management to avoid etc..

Do you want to live in the city or suburbs? How long of a commute do you want?

Do you want to live in the city or suburbs? How long of a commute do you want?
Id like to keep it under 30 minutes. Right now I drive about an hour. Probably in the Suburbs.

Also what are the best options for Watching the games on tv/online? Im guessing some of the stuff gets blocked?

Id like to keep it under 30 minutes. Right now I drive about an hour. Probably in the Suburbs.

Also what are the best options for Watching the games on tv/online? Im guessing some of the stuff gets blocked?
You can find a lot within 20 minutes. If I was going to move back to Syracuse I would check out Tipp Hill and then Westvale/Camillus. Not sure your budget and your situation but you might be able to find a pretty reasonable rate on a house rental. Plus it's a pretty easy commute to work.

I’ve never had an issue with games being blocked and I’ve had Spectrum and Verizon(currently) in Baldwinsville. I suggest looking in Liverpool or Camillus as there’s a lot of nicer apartments in that area. Baldwinsville and the FM area are further away and more expensive to live in.

Last edited:
You can find a lot within 20 minutes. If I was going to move back to Syracuse I would check out Tipp Hill and then Westvale/Camillus. Not sure your budget and your situation but you might be able to find a pretty reasonable rate on a house rental. Plus it's a pretty easy commute to work.

I would echo cliftonpark, Tipp Hill is still technically in the city but its right on the edge of the suburbs and definitely a different vibe then most parts of the City and a breeze to commute. . If your a single guy or just two people it's definitely an area to review especially if you want just a rental at first. Ditto Westvale/Solvay/Fairmount/Camillus, all suburbs just outside the city with Westvale and Solvay being literally right next to the city and Westvale literally next to Tip Hill. Very easy commute to SU via highway or the backroads (goes right through Tip Hill) and access to plethora of reasonable housing, restaurants, 2 Wegmans, Township 5 in Camillus etc etc.

Solvay, Westvale, Fairmount, and Camillus all have either Spectrum or Fios (city does not have Fios) plus there is a third smaller cable company for Solvay/Lakeland and Westvale residents. You shouldn't miss a game.

Some parts of Solvay are very nice but some are very sketchy, to say the least. Best avoid it to be safe.

Its just me and the wife, couple of Empty nesters with the two girls off to college. We do have to keep a room ready for them or whoever to visit though.

I picked out 6 places yesterday, buts he is worried they are to far away with traffic. The places I saw were in Camillus, Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Lakefront and Bayberry. With Bayberry being the farther at a Google estimate 20-26 minutes for each of us. How bad is rush hour on 81?

Thanks for all the input!

Its just me and the wife, couple of Empty nesters with the two girls off to college. We do have to keep a room ready for them or whoever to visit though.

I picked out 6 places yesterday, buts he is worried they are to far away with traffic. The places I saw were in Camillus, Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Lakefront and Bayberry. With Bayberry being the farther at a Google estimate 20-26 minutes for each of us. How bad is rush hour on 81?

Thanks for all the input!

I used to live in North Syracuse and it took me 15 minutes to get to work downtown any time between 6:30-7:30. Obviously in the winter it can be a bit longer. Generally the “traffic” is worse on 481 or 690 in my experience. And I say traffic lightly because it’s just going to cost you 5 minutes at most.

There are an incredible number of locations less than 30 mins from near the dome. Even the places listed as far (FM/Manlius) really are not far, in the grand scheme. And syracuse in general is one of the more affordable areas, as a whole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom