MSG View: Sharing the Court Discussion Moving Forward | Syracusefan.com

MSG View: Sharing the Court Discussion Moving Forward

arbitragegls

All Conference
Since it is ACC tournament time it is good to know that MSG remains as a possibility for ACC Tournament Bball. The discussions are moving forward and the "lack" of ticket sales for the New Big East has become a bell- weather for MSG to entertain ACC as a potential add on or even the Only conference to play their tournament games at MSG. Here are some of the talking points today:

1. Does the NBE bring 92% capacity to MSG for each and every game
--will MSG keep NBE contract but without exclusivity clause that would allow other conference to play
2. Does the ACC want a rotation among 2 or more sites...
--how many cities in the rotation...it looks like 3-4
3. What happens if MSG must move site...where would it go and how long would that take

There are a number of outs for MSG with their NBE contract...and in fact; this is already being discussed and a reason for the ACC discussions to continue...the ACC is now THE HUNTED...NOT THE HUNTER.

Looking forward to a finalization in a reasonable period of time...also the big one...ACCNetwork moving forward with a number of alternatives...lots happening with ESPN and Dish; the new WEE network and the negotiations with B1G--ESPN will not leave the ACC hanging out there...as always the STEALTH side remains strong and provides whispers...read between the lines...as always:

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Since it is ACC tournament time it is good to know that MSG remains as a possibility for ACC Tournament Bball. The discussions are moving forward and the "lack" of ticket sales for the New Big East has become a bell- weather for MSG to entertain ACC as a potential add on or even the Only conference to play their tournament games at MSG. Here are some of the talking points today:

1. Does the NBE bring 92% capacity to MSG for each and every game
--will MSG keep NBE contract but without exclusivity clause that would allow other conference to play
2. Does the ACC want a rotation among 2 or more sites...
--how many cities in the rotation...it looks like 3-4
3. What happens if MSG must move site...where would it go and how long would that take

There are a number of outs for MSG with their NBE contract...and in fact; this is already being discussed and a reason for the ACC discussions to continue...the ACC is now THE HUNTED...NOT THE HUNTER.

Looking forward to a finalization in a reasonable period of time...also the big one...ACCNetwork moving forward with a number of alternatives...lots happening with ESPN and Dish; the new WEE network and the negotiations with B1G--ESPN will not leave the ACC hanging out there...as always the STEALTH side remains strong and provides whispers...read between the lines...as always:

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Last year's Big East Semis:

#2 Louisville vs #23 Notre Dame
# 8 Georgetown vs # 16 Syracuse

This year's potential ACC semis:

#6 Virginia - #15 NC
#11 SU - #7 Duke

This year's potential Big East semis:

#3 Villanova vs Providence
#14 Creighton vs Xavier

'Ya think that the ACC might be slightly more attractive to MSG than the new Big East???SUball

Zero buzz in NYC this year for the Big East tournament...However, if you had that ACC semi here this year??? Fugghedaboutit. MSG would be rockin'

I'm going tonight; will be interesting to see what it's like

If the Big East wants to keep their tournament at MSG they should end their season a week earlier and play the conference tournament the Thursday-Sunday when the big conferences are ending their season like the Missouri Valley Conference does. That way MSG would always be their for them and the B1G/ACC could rotate MSG into their conference championship rotation and MSG wouldn't lose anything.

If the Big East wants to keep their tournament at MSG they should end their season a week earlier and play the conference tournament the Thursday-Sunday when the big conferences are ending their season like the Missouri Valley Conference does. That way MSG would always be their for them and the B1G/ACC could rotate MSG into their conference championship rotation and MSG wouldn't lose anything.

Not sure MSG would be willing to basically give up 2 weekends in a row and lose the Knicks and Rangers home dates. I know they are doing 2 out of 3 this year with the regional, but that's not an every year situation.

Not sure MSG would be willing to basically give up 2 weekends in a row and lose the Knicks and Rangers home dates. I know they are doing 2 out of 3 this year with the regional, but that's not an every year situation.
It wouldn't be every year as I would think both the ACC and B1G would only want MSG as part of a rotation.

B1G- Year 1-Indy, Year 2- Chicago, Year 3-MSG
ACC Year 1-Greensboro, Year 2- MSG, Year 3-Washington D.C.

If James Dolan can make the extra revenue from those conference tournaments he will do it as the Knicks/Rangers could each get a home game in after the Sunday of the BET final and Wednesday before the ACC/B1G would each need MSG for their conference tournament.

I don't know the numbers but it looked like they only had 6,500 people in there last night.

I just don't see the fan interest with the schools currently in the New Big East to merit playing its tournament at MSG. Or the quality of play for that matter.

It would better for them to swallow their pride and find a smaller venue where there would be sell out crowds and excitement in the arena. It is no wonder that the interest in down.

Besides losing its 5 biggest draws, the New Big East is likely going to have 2 teams make the NCAA tournament. 2 teams. Compare that to the Big East conference, which had 8 last year and as many as 11 in the past.

The New Big East responded recently to projections that only 2 teams would make the NCAA field by saying Georgetown would finish 3rd in the Atlantic 10. That same Georgetown team that lost to DePaul.

I would recommend they go to Newark and curtain off the top level. Or maybe they can get the Palestra in Philly. They could sell those places out and it would look a lot better on TV if they went in this direction.

I just don't see the fan interest with the schools currently in the New Big East to merit playing its tournament at MSG. Or the quality of play for that matter.

It would better for them to swallow their pride and find a smaller venue where there would be sell out crowds and excitement in the arena. It is no wonder that the interest in down.

Besides losing its 5 biggest draws, the New Big East is likely going to have 2 teams make the NCAA tournament. 2 teams. Compare that to the Big East conference, which had 8 last year and as many as 11 in the past.

The New Big East responded recently to projections that only 2 teams would make the NCAA field by saying Georgetown would finish 3rd in the Atlantic 10. That same Georgetown team that lost to DePaul.

I would recommend they go to Newark and curtain off the top level. Or maybe they can get the Palestra in Philly. They could sell those places out and it would look a lot better on TV if they went in this direction.

Agree they should probably end up in a different venue. Though I'd go over 2.5 teams in the tournament this year.

Big East will get atleast 3 teams IMO. Today's St. John's vs. Providence game is a First Four play-in game IMO. Both of them are right on the bubble and winner today (preferably St. John's for our RPI) will likely make the field of 68.

Obviously, Villanova and Creighton are locks. I think Xavier can get in as well if they beat Marquette and Creighton. I would take the over if the number of Big East bids was 2.5.

I do agree with Tomcat though the BE conference can't support the BET at MSG unless Villanova and St. John's bring huge numbers. Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul, Butler won't bring the numbers. Georgetown has the name brand, but not the fans. Marquette and Xavier when they are good I think will bring 1-2.5k. Creighton is bringing people as their are in awe of being in the Big East.

The BET won't remain at MSG IMO unless the Garden people just want a yearly event there and they will move the time frame to accommodate the ACC/B1G which would bring more sheer numbers.

What's this about 92% of capacity for the NBE? Is that what the NBE promised MSG? What's the penalty if they don't produce 92% of capacity?

Why is the Verizon Center in DC never mentioned as a possible long term venue for the ACC Tournament?

It's a pro arena in a fun city that's easy to travel to and is centrally located for their territory.

Makes much more sense than Greensboro or even Charlotte.

And they don't have a current conference tournament affiliation.

Just wondering.

Why is the Verizon Center in DC never mentioned as a possible long term venue for the ACC Tournament?

It's a pro arena in a fun city that's easy to travel to and is centrally located for their territory.

Just wondering.
Six words, "it is not in North Carolina".

Just wondering.

I think because the Carolina mafia wants to keep it in-state, but MSG would be such a home run that would be the only place they'd consider taking it for more than a year or 2? just guessing here

Is the ACC locked into the idea of rotating cities? It would seem to me that if you can get an every year deal with MSG, you do it. Not only because, once they do it, the ACC will realize how awesome it is but also because it ices the B1G out of there. Strategically, that seems very important in my book.

ACC won't do MSG every year. Getting MSG into the rotation is fair compromise. If the conference did Greensboro/MSG/Washington D.C. its fair to everyone. If they wanted to add Atlanta as a 4th team for the FSU/Clemson/Ga. Tech group I wouldn't object. MSG- would be the Northern schools, Greensboro would be for the NC mafia, Washington D.C. middle ground, and if they added Atlanta then the capital of the South for everyone to fly into easily.

Seems fair and logical to me. But we all know that logic doesn't really enter into these conversations.

ACC won't do MSG every year. Getting MSG into the rotation is fair compromise. If the conference did Greensboro/MSG/Washington D.C. its fair to everyone. If they wanted to add Atlanta as a 4th team for the FSU/Clemson/Ga. Tech group I wouldn't object. MSG- would be the Northern schools, Greensboro would be for the NC mafia, Washington D.C. middle ground, and if they added Atlanta then the capital of the South for everyone to fly into easily.

That is perfectly logical if the only focus is down and in, the up and out viewpoint is that the ACC has the opportunity to deny the B1G access to MSG/NYC and should take that opportunity. Right? I mean, it seems really important to keep the B1G out. They grabbed Maryland and Rutgers so they have a "presence" on the East Coast already. They clearly want to move in on ACC territory and the territory that matters is NYC (the ACC acknowledged this by grabbing the BE teams they did).

HoustonCuse said:
That is perfectly logical if the only focus is down and in, the up and out viewpoint is that the ACC has the opportunity to deny the B1G access to MSG/NYC and should take that opportunity. Right? I mean, it seems really important to keep the B1G out. They grabbed Maryland and Rutgers so they have a "presence" on the East Coast already. They clearly want to move in on ACC territory and the territory that matters is NYC (the ACC acknowledged this by grabbing the BE teams they did).

This.

I'm not as witty as Kaiser, and I have about 10,000 fewer posts than him.

But NYC is a no brainer. Every year.

Yes I am wearing my Orange colored glasses and I am extremely biased when it comes to Syracuse and MSG, but there are several reasons why it needs to be the ONLY place the ACC holds its tournament.

1- Im a believer that a tournament needs to be held in one area, a place that everyone can equate to that conference. The ACC is an eastern conference, it should be marketed that way in the biggest city on the Eastern seaboard.

2- Its amazing how the B1G is put on a pedestal and anointed the best conference the last several years. Over the last two years the ACC has been down but has still tied the B1G 6-6 in the ACC/B1G challenge. However, it is perceived that the B1G is far and away the better conference. Coach K has said several times this year that the B1G does a wonderful job of marketing their conference, "Our league is not promoted very well," said Krzyzewski. "We should figure out how the Big Ten does it. They’re really good, don’t get me wrong. They’re still saying it’s great, and they’re not saying anything about us". He later goes onto say, "
"Diet Coke, they’re still trying to sell Coke. In other words, you have something that’s going good, try to keep it really going good and I don’t think we’ve had an emphasis in that," said Krzyzewski. "In the future, with the league that we will have, we need to really go after it and take a look at everything that we do because we will have the most powerful basketball conference".
I believe MSG would be the thing that would really promote and upgrade the ACC product. I believe this is exactly the type of thing Coach K is talking about when he says with the league we have, we need to go after it and take a look at everything. Everyone pays attention to a college basketball game/tournament at MSG, and that will add to the allure of the ACC conference being the best conference.

3- Got to keep the Big Ten out of NY, they have already taken Rutgers and Maryland, its clear they want a presence in this area. If you rotate, then you leave open the possibility of the B1G sneaking into MSG, taking the luster out of the ACC.

It wouldn't be every year as I would think both the ACC and B1G would only want MSG as part of a rotation.

B1G- Year 1-Indy, Year 2- Chicago, Year 3-MSG
ACC Year 1-Greensboro, Year 2- MSG, Year 3-Washington D.C.

If James Dolan can make the extra revenue from those conference tournaments he will do it as the Knicks/Rangers could each get a home game in after the Sunday of the BET final and Wednesday before the ACC/B1G would each need MSG for their conference tournament.
I have a feeling the ACC would look more like:
Yr 1 - Greensboro, Yr.2 - MSG, Yr. 3- Greensboro, Yr.4 - DC, Yr. 5- Greensboro
Greensboro every other year with the other 2 sites alternating. Meaning it's at MSG only every 4th year. I don't know if MSG would find that worthwhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom