MSOC SU 0 vs NC State 0 10/25/14 7:00 @ Raleigh ESPN3 | Syracusefan.com

MSOC SU 0 vs NC State 0 10/25/14 7:00 @ Raleigh ESPN3

http://dailyorange.com/2014/10/alse...coring-option-for-syracuse-against-n-c-state/

Alseth breaks out with 2 goals, offers another scoring option for Syracuse against N.C. State
By Matt SchneidmanAsst. Copy Editor
13 hours ago

Oyvind Alseth had to wait almost 2,528 minutes for his first career goal in a Syracuse uniform.
Once the sophomore got it in his 33rd career game on Tuesday, though, it didn’t even take eight minutes for him to get a second.
“I honestly don’t know what was going on out there,” Alseth said. “I guess I was just feeling it.”
Against Bucknell on Tuesday, Alseth scored the first two goals of his career and added an assist, helping SU pull away in the second half for a 4-1 win. He hasn’t seen his name on the score sheet often, but the right winger will look to continue his rare offensive form when the Orange (13-2, 4-2 Atlantic Coast) faces North Carolina State (6-5-3, 1-3-2) at Dail Soccer Field in Raleigh, North Carolina at 7 p.m. on Saturday.
The Orange has scored 14 goals in its last five games after tallying just 15 in its first 10, and Alseth’s newfound finishing touch gives SU yet another viable scoring option going forward.
“We try to get the wings to drive forward and help the strikers score goals,” forward Chris Nanco said. “It was a great showing from him and I’m really happy for him.”
Twelve minutes into the second half against the Bison, Julian Buescher lofted a cross from the left side toward the far post. Alseth won the header and directed it across goal, but goalkeeper Clarke Fox got a right hand on it, deflecting it just wide of the left post and preventing Alseth from finally putting one in the back of the net.
Sixteen seconds later, Korab Syla sent a cross to Alseth in the same spot at the far post. He won the header again, but this time, the ball was directed to the right post and it snuck past Fox.
“He’s got the quality going forward, strikes a great ball, but to score with his head was nice as well,” head coach Ian McIntyre said. “I think it hit him on the ear and went in.”
Alseth, who has previously said he had an abundance of prepared celebrations in his back pocket, ran to the right corner flag and simply saluted toward the field while Emil Ekblom, Syla and Buescher joined him.
On Alseth’s second goal, in which he dribbled past a diving Fox on the right side of the box and fired the ball top shelf, the celebration got a little more creative.
“I’ve had too many celebrations on my mind these past couple weeks, couldn’t figure which one to chose the one time I finally score,” Alseth said of his reaction after the first goal. “But the selfie one (on the second goal) was pre-planned with Julian and Juuso (Pasanen). We Europeans, we had that one figured out.”
In the last five games, Syracuse has conceded five goals compared to just one through its first 10 matches. But it’s also received a spark from Alseth that could take some pressure off the forwards to score.
“Coach has been complaining a lot that I haven’t been scoring,” Alseth said. “I’m told by my teammates all the time and it was good to finally get it out of the way and get my first two goals.”

B0u8Yn2CMAAD-Zp.png:large

Ian McIntyre‏@ismcinty 46m46 minutes ago
Game day at NC State. Team breakfast and then out for a stretch and to walk the pitch. A tough test tonight with 3 big ACC points on offer!

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 14m14 minutes ago
8'- Alseth is called for the offside as he crosses the ball in.

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 26m26 minutes ago
14'-Murrell tries a free kick from the left. NC States goalie recovers the ball.

Josh Hyber‏@JoshHyber 22m22 minutes ago
Emil Ekblom called for offsides on a chance in close. Good passing from Jordan Murrell and Chris Nanco. 0-0 almost 20 minutes in.

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 17m17 minutes ago
27'- Corner kick Syracuse!

Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 11m11 minutes ago
35'- Callahan and Halis enter the game

Josh Hyber‏@JoshHyber 8m8 minutes ago
Liam Callahan and Alex Halis check in for SU. Callahan hasn't played since suffering a high ankle sprain against Wake Forest 2 weeks ago

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 7m7 minutes ago
40'- Buescher fires the ball off the bar

Josh Hyber‏@JoshHyber 8m8 minutes ago
Julian Buesher hits the crossbar from 20 yards out. Five minutes until halftime

Josh Hyber‏@JoshHyber 5m5 minutes ago
Alex Halis with a great chance from point-blank-range, but at the half, No. 5 Syracuse men's soccer and N.C. State are tied 0-0

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 8m8 minutes ago
Halftime- NC State 0-0 Syracuse #DaretoDream

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 12m12 minutes ago
Second half underway.

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 10m10 minutes ago
50'- Bono makes a comfortable save.

SUMensSoccer 14m14 minutes ago
53'-Ekblom flicks the ball towards goal but it is just over the bar

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 10m10 minutes ago
60'- Alseth produces a dangerous right footed cross into the box.

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 6m6 minutes ago
67'- Alseth looks sharp tonight down the right and is causing some real problems for the NC State defence.

Hyber‏@JoshHyber 6m6 minutes ago
Oyvind Alseth shaken up after contesting a header. Looks like his left shoulder. 0-0 with 21 minutes left in regulation.

Josh Hyber‏@JoshHyber 4m4 minutes ago
Korab Syla comes on for Oyvind Alseth, who takes a seat on the bench

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 2m2 minutes ago
72'- Syracuse have the majority of the ball and look good in possession.

Josh Hyber‏@JoshHyber 47s48 seconds ago
Alseth returns. 7 minutes left in regulation. Still 0-0.

SU Mens Soccer‏@SUMensSoccer 42s43 seconds ago
89'- Murrell has a free kick in the edge f the box.

Josh Hyber‏@JoshHyber 2m2 minutes ago
No. 5 Syracuse and NC State men's soccer will go to overtime scoreless.

Matt Schneidman‏@matt_schneidman 4m4 minutes ago
No. 5 Syracuse plays to its first tie of the season, a scoreless draw against NC State. SU now 13-2-1 on the year.

Went to the game last night, and good to battle for a point on the road. Plenty of opportunities for the win, but they seemed to lack the creativity needed in the final third of the field. In fairness, State played with one up top and "Packed" in their own end with black jerseys (see what I did there?). Hard to find space when there are 9 defenders in the box. State did well with their possession in midfield, but when they lost possession they "parked the bus" in front of their keeper. Entertaining game and Syracuse perhaps deserved more from it, but a road draw in conference at this stage of the season is a solid result, especially considering the form of State in their previous five games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom