Mullin out at St. John’s / Mike Anderson hired | Syracusefan.com

Mullin out at St. John’s / Mike Anderson hired

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
576C4A04-5AD0-4104-A80D-4BAC52D403B8.png

I don’t think Mullin is cut out to be a college recruiter and coach. I know he does not draw up plays in the huddle.

For what it's worth, St. John's overall wins, conference wins, and standings finish in the Big East has improved every year each of his four seasons. Obviously starting from a very low point, but still.

I know ASU isn't exactly a powerhouse, but it's still a state school, so I was surprised to learn that up until last year, Hurley was making considerably less than Mullin.

I noticed Mullin wasn't running the huddle immediately. i thought he was just hired for name value and the assistants were running the show. :oops:

But they did a good job- we couldn't beat them. :mad:

Stupid video, when would he tie his shoes, when the team is on the court. What did he do before and after, oh couldn’t see that. Means nothing.

I just emailed this thread to my friend who bleeds St. John's and is sorta connected. Simple reply:
"He is gone."

Eh, just because most of these insecure control freak coaches out there couldn’t possibly let go enough to let an assistant talk to the team in the huddle for 20 seconds, doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with what Mullin did there.
The question for me is that the exception or the rule. It came across as the rule, Mullin looked so disengaged and fake tieing his shoes for a loooong time. What did the assistant say that Mullin couldn't.

Mullin is a figurehead coach. Hurley going to St. John’s would be his way of getting a new job before he is fired from his current one.

Steve Alford did this when he was at Iowa he went to New Mexico before he got fired from Iowa.

The question for me is that the exception or the rule. It came across as the rule, Mullin looked so disengaged and fake tieing his shoes for a loooong time. What did the assistant say that Mullin couldn't.

Perhaps.

Even if it is the norm, I still don’t think there’s necessarily something wrong with it.

Who says the head coach has to do all the talking? Ultimately it’s his name on the program, but how he chooses to utilize his staff is up to him.

I remember people said that Larry Bird was just a figurehead coach for the Pacers, but they went to the finals so whatever their setup was, it was working.

St. John’s has been getting better and had a decent year this year.

Perhaps.

Even if it is the norm, I still don’t think there’s necessarily something wrong with it.

Who says the head coach has to do all the talking? Ultimately it’s his name on the program, but how he chooses to utilize his staff is up to him.

I remember people said that Larry Bird was just a figurehead coach for the Pacers, but they went to the finals so whatever their setup was, it was working.

St. John’s has been getting better and had a decent year this year.
Larry Bird was kinda a figure head coach Dick Harter was responsible for the defense and was why Indiana did well.
That Pacers team was very veteran as well. Bird did a good job treating them like adults and letting Harter coach the D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom