Munich/Bavaria Recommendations | Syracusefan.com

Munich/Bavaria Recommendations

ConnectiCuse

Scout Team
The family (me, wife, 17 & 16 y.o. daughters) are going to Munich this spring. Looking for any recommendations outside of the obvious things to do there as well as any favorite hotels or dining options. We are there for a week so we'll have some time to explore a bit.

TIA

zelte-hp.jpg

Munchen is awesome -- very quaint, historical architecture, etc. Lots to do there.

I LOVE Munich. I've been there several times, including one for Octoberfest. I've also spent a week in Augsburg, which I feel is worth a day trip.

For Munich
1) I've stayed near Karlsplatz a few times. Good value IMHO
2) Ulm is a bit of a cool city, the church is massive and might be worth a trip
3) I loved Nördlingen. Most definitely spend a day there.
4) Get a "Bavaria Ticket". Great and affordable way to take the train
5) I usually stay in cheaper hotels, but I like Hotel Demas City . It is located reasonably close to the main part of town. It doesn't have a lot of amenities, but is affordable and clean. I've stayed there 5-6 times. Good for stumbling to a few beer gardens.
6) The butcher shops in the Neumarkt have great food/beer. The Weisswurst (before noon) and the Leberkasse are to of my favorites.
7) The beer gardens are a must. Augistiner is my favorite. An "En Masse" and a SchienAxle is my favorite food in the world. But the Paulaner beer garden/brauhaus have the best beer IMHO. However, beer in Munich is second to only Czech beer (to me), so EVERYTHING is good.
8) Make sure to get the proper train ticket and have it validated before entering the train. They love to prey on tourists and have undercover cops who will come around and check them. Do some homework and you will be fine.
9) Hofbau haus is touristy, but definitely worth a visit.

Let me know how I can help. I've been to Europe 20+ times in the last few years, and Munich is likely my favorite city. Outside of Sicily, Bavaria is my favorite region in Europe.

I LOVE Munich. I've been there several times, including one for Octoberfest. I've also spent a week in Augsburg, which I feel is worth a day trip.

For Munich
1) I've stayed near Karlsplatz a few times. Good value IMHO
2) Ulm is a bit of a cool city, the church is massive and might be worth a trip
3) I loved Nördlingen. Most definitely spend a day there.
4) Get a "Bavaria Ticket". Great and affordable way to take the train
5) I usually stay in cheaper hotels, but I like Hotel Demas City . It is located reasonably close to the main part of town. It doesn't have a lot of amenities, but is affordable and clean. I've stayed there 5-6 times. Good for stumbling to a few beer gardens.
6) The butcher shops in the Neumarkt have great food/beer. The Weisswurst (before noon) and the Leberkasse are to of my favorites.
7) The beer gardens are a must. Augistiner is my favorite. An "En Masse" and a SchienAxle is my favorite food in the world. But the Paulaner beer garden/brauhaus have the best beer IMHO. However, beer in Munich is second to only Czech beer (to me), so EVERYTHING is good.
8) Make sure to get the proper train ticket and have it validated before entering the train. They love to prey on tourists and have undercover cops who will come around and check them. Do some homework and you will be fine.
9) Hofbau haus is touristy, but definitely worth a visit.

Let me know how I can help. I've been to Europe 20+ times in the last few years, and Munich is likely my favorite city. Outside of Sicily, Bavaria is my favorite region in Europe.

All great info, thanks.

I was looking at several hotels near Karlsplatz since it appears to be close to both the city center and the museums. I'll check out your recommended place as well.

I love eating at places like butcher shops (now, to convince my wife) and hope to check out most of the beer halls. I agree on Czech beer - I drank my way through Prague on an 11 day trip a few years ago and couldn't find a beer that I didn't like.

Noted on the ticket validation. We've traveled pretty extensively through Europe by train and it's funny how some countries have a validation process and some don't. I completely forgot to validate my ticket one time while traveling from the Milan airport to the city center and was sweating bullets the entire trip. Fortunately, the conductor never came to our car.

Thanks again.

Visit the 5-6 big breweries in Munich and their beer gardens, and you won't ever be upset. The Englishgarten is a good place to visit as well.

I'm VERY jealous. Keep asking any questions you have about the city.

Garmisch-Partinkirchen. Quintessential Bavarian town. Site of the 1936(?) Winter Olympics. Not sure if it will still be skiing season, but the cable car ride to the top of Zugspitze will remind you of the movie "Where Eagles Dare" (Broadsword calling Danny Boy...)

Last edited:
Oh and a tip:

If you want to bring home a beer mug, the most cost effective way to do it is to go to a beer garden where you pay a deposit and keep the glass. Other options are to ask the waiter/waitress if you can have the glass. Typically, I've just had them say I could keep it or they will often bring you a new glass.

Collecting German beer mugs is a hobby of mine.

The family (me, wife, 17 & 16 y.o. daughters) are going to Munich this spring. Looking for any recommendations outside of the obvious things to do there as well as any favorite hotels or dining options. We are there for a week so we'll have some time to explore a bit.

TIA

Some more stuff that might be more off the beaten path

Neuschwanstein castele - castle is beautiful and scenery is idyllic
Andechs Monastery and brewery (I kid you not - best beer I've ever had). Google it.
Starnberg - right on the Starnberger See - beautiful town
Dachau concentration camp - not for the faint of heart but very historically significant

You could even do a side trip to Innsbruck or Salzburg in Austria.

I am not a huge Germany fan in terms of visiting but Munich and Bavaria are, far and away, my favorite places to visit (caveat that my last time in Berlin was 1986 - so I have not been back in ages)

Love Munich and would love to go back. You made a great choice. It's exactly what you think it would be like in a good way. Hofbrauhaus is of course touristy but I still thought it was great. Again, exactly what you think a German Beer Hall would be like with the music, dancing, etc. We took a guided bike ride around the city and that was a good way to see the sights as well. Neuschwastein Castle is supposedly the most visited sight in Europe and was the model for the castle at Disney World. Part of it's allure is just getting there and driving through Bavaria. Picturesque. Can't recommend Munich enough. Great place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom