My .02 | Syracusefan.com

My .02

kcsu

Living Legend
Last nights spring game was very well done. From the parking to post game player access everything was excellent. Hats off to SU .
I focused on a few areas and had an opportunity to spend some quality time before and after the event with a few of the families.
Without sharing too much out of school here are some highlights.

QB room is in good shape. 4 capable players. Expect Shrader to be here for 2 more seasons now that we have a new O. Hes pumped. Great kid and an amazing family who we got to know at the Vtech game. He has wonderful parents and support and it shows.
Lamson is the real deal. He really likes SU and is also pumped about the new OC and Beck. Said he had learned so much this year. Hes the smallest of our QBs but still has NFL size. Im 6 3 and hes taller than me .
Dan is enormous. Im not sure how tall he is . Id say 6 5 in cleats and hes a bruiser. Ripped and thick.
Also got to spend time with our new RB from NJ and his family. Super people and what a nice guy. Same with Price. We landed two really good kids in them.

Josh as i posted earlier is full go in June and Bliech according to his own words is full go for the fall.
My other long talk was with Thompson. Again great kid. My takeaway is that Dino has built a great culture here. The team is tight and this is 100% Shraders team. Hes a magnet with the guys. Not a talker but a leader which doesn't surprise me on bit as his parents are exceptional.

Last point. Our new OC is a very serious, very smart man. You wouldn't want to mess with him. He has a factor that i rarely see in business or life. Guy is no BS and we are very lucky to have him.
This team will be much better than last in all aspects other than the Dline which is very young, thin, and undersized. DL is our Achilles.
I expect us to be much improved but the schedule is so tough i can see a better team but possibly not a better record.
If chemistry and good people equaled wins we would be undefeated.
Great event, great night.
Go Orange!

Thought Steven and Caleb looked agile and good physically off the DL but I agree. Would be interesting to see if Hough’s burst could be utilized off the edge.

I was actually impressed with the 2 newbies on the DL- Jaquez and Nolton. Watched both individually and they seemed to consistently get into the backfield and both went hard to the ball. Something to keep an eye on as Louisville approaches.

I was actually impressed with the 2 newbies on the DL- Jaquez and Nolton. Watched both individually and they seemed to consistently get into the backfield and both went hard to the ball. Something to keep an eye on as Louisville approaches.
Linton looks like the guy most likely to have a break out year of the DEs. Still need DTs and I think last night drove that point home even further. I expect they will add at least 2 from the portal.

Last nights spring game was very well done. From the parking to post game player access everything was excellent. Hats off to SU .
I focused on a few areas and had an opportunity to spend some quality time before and after the event with a few of the families.
Without sharing too much out of school here are some highlights.

QB room is in good shape. 4 capable players. Expect Shrader to be here for 2 more seasons now that we have a new O. Hes pumped. Great kid and an amazing family who we got to know at the Vtech game. He has wonderful parents and support and it shows.
Lamson is the real deal. He really likes SU and is also pumped about the new OC and Beck. Said he had learned so much this year. Hes the smallest of our QBs but still has NFL size. Im 6 3 and hes taller than me .
Dan is enormous. Im not sure how tall he is . Id say 6 5 in cleats and hes a bruiser. Ripped and thick.
Also got to spend time with our new RB from NJ and his family. Super people and what a nice guy. Same with Price. We landed two really good kids in them.

Josh as i posted earlier is full go in June and Bliech according to his own words is full go for the fall.
My other long talk was with Thompson. Again great kid. My takeaway is that Dino has built a great culture here. The team is tight and this is 100% Shraders team. Hes a magnet with the guys. Not a talker but a leader which doesn't surprise me on bit as his parents are exceptional.

Last point. Our new OC is a very serious, very smart man. You wouldn't want to mess with him. He has a factor that i rarely see in business or life. Guy is no BS and we are very lucky to have him.
This team will be much better than last in all aspects other than the Dline which is very young, thin, and undersized. DL is our Achilles.
I expect us to be much improved but the schedule is so tough i can see a better team but possibly not a better record.
If chemistry and good people equaled wins we would be undefeated.
Great event, great night.
Go Orange!

With this schedule:
I had the feeling we are a bunch of bugs preparing to do battle with a windshield. Six of the first 12 games are at home but we are likely to be underdogs in 5 of them and one of the road games is Clemson. Then we
finish with 3 of the last 4 on the road. This with 7 of our last 8 seasons and 5 of Dino's 6 producing losing records.

I just hope Wildhack is prepared to stick with this staff long enough to get this turned around because this year is going to be straight uphill.

Linton looks like the guy most likely to have a break out year of the DEs. Still need DTs and I think last night drove that point home even further. I expect they will add at least 2 from the portal.
Its the weakness for sure

Hopefully we can keep Lamson here. Shrader has 2 more years of eligibility left.
shrader needs to improve his passing game, in order to hold his position. lamson has wheels as well but hot yet the power of shrader. however as we saw he can throw it with accuracy. it appears we may have some talent at wr as well--- remains to be confirmed.

I’d hope Dino can recruit better than Lamson in the next two years.
We don’t know how good Lamson is or can be at this point and the recruiting may be more on Beck and Anae for the QB.

Hopefully we can keep Lamson here. Shrader has 2 more years of eligibility left.
I have a feeling that Lamson will supplant Shrader at some point. I don't know when, but I think it'll happen.

This mentality of "we might be better but it's ok if the record doesn't show it" gots to go

We have a Heisman finalist caliber player and in the off-season we've addressed nearly every deficiency on the team. The schedule is a challenge but it doesn't matter. We're getting to at least 6 wins.

That's happening. Shut up about it.

This mentality of "we might be better but it's ok if the record doesn't show it" gots to go

We have a Heisman finalist caliber player and in the off-season we've addressed nearly every deficiency on the team. The schedule is a challenge but it doesn't matter. We're getting to at least 6 wins.

That's happening. Shut up about it.

Agreed.

And the path to 6 wins requires beating some peer teams. That's what teams with bowl aspirations need to do. If we handle our business, then we'll go bowling. If not, then we haven't shown the necessary improvement.

Despite what some would like to pretend for basketball, there are no pyrrhic victories. Close but no cigar doesn't cut it. The team will be judged on W / L, not on feelings.

Agreed.

And the path to 6 wins requires beating some peer teams. That's what teams with bowl aspirations need to do. If we handle our business, then we'll go bowling. If not, then we haven't shown the necessary improvement.

Despite what some would like to pretend for basketball, there are no pyrrhic victories. Close but no cigar doesn't cut it. The team will be judged on W / L, not on feelings.
Yup. It's time to beat teams in our peer set.

Assuming we get one (or more) of the portal DTs, there just aren't any excuses.

I’d hope Dino can recruit better than Lamson in the next two years.
We just got a verbal commitment from Lanorris Sellers, so there’s that. I thought Lamson looked decent for a Spring game. I agree with most others in the fact that we have a decent season with some interior DL depth.

Agreed.

Maybe you meant "peeric victories'.

A loss is a loss and coming up short doesn't cut it, although it still beats coming up way short. And having your first losing season in 46 years is a bit different than having your 8th in 9 years, which this would be if we can't overcome that schedule. We need to be the peers of those teams in order to beat them.

Maybe you meant "peeric victories'.

A loss is a loss and coming up short doesn't cut it, although it still beats coming up way short. And having your first losing season in 46 years is a bit different than having your 8th in 9 years, which this would be if we can't overcome that schedule. We need to be the peers of those teams in order to beat them.
Good one!

But the rest of your post is off kilter. The previous 46 years doesn't change the losing record, or have any bearing except to those trying to put a rationalized spin on the subpar performance.

Good one!

But the rest of your post is off kilter. The previous 46 years doesn't change the losing record, or have any bearing except to those trying to put a rationalized spin on the subpar performance.
It certainly was a sub-par performance but the history creates a very different context.

It certainly was a sub-par performance but the history creates a very different context.

Why do you keep talking about historical context? Again, that interpretive spin has zero to do with last year's losing record.

We have a small group of posters who feel compelled to defend Boeheim against all objective criticism despite how the season unfolded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom