My Big Road Trip Next Week | Syracusefan.com

My Big Road Trip Next Week

LeMoyneCuse

All American
Hey everyone. Looking to crowd source some recommendations.

I'm doing a big 7 day Civil War road trip next week. My route is: Atlanta - Chattanooga - Nashville -Shiloh/Memphis - Mississippi Delta/Vicksburg/Jackson - Birmingham - Atlanta.

My research has mostly been on historical sites and beer. That said, can anyone share their best beer bars / food recommendations in town? I know Nashville has been covered in another thread. But Memphis BBQ, gas station fried chicken, tamales, and other regional stuff would be greatly welcome.

Thanks!

I suppose this has nothing to do with this, but I always wanted to go here. It's like 20 miles from Vicksburg.

I don't even think it looks that way anymore (been renovated).

My sister-in-law just moved from Memphis and I know Rendezvous is her go-to BBQ joint.

I read an interesting gas station tamale article a few years ago, might have been in Smithsonian? Could be a solid starting point.

And I hear great things about Oxford, not sure if that's on the list but it's supposed to be a good food town in addition to all the literary stuff.

I’d do The Bar-B-Q Shop or Central over Rendezvous. Rendezvous is the very touristy one downtown near Beale St. It’s good but the others are better and probably less of a line. Gus’s is the fried chicken spot to go to in Memphis!

I’m in Nashville often and my brother lives there. Beer scene is hot now. If you like hazy NE style IPAs then Bearded Iris and Southern Grist are fantastic. Southern Grist has a lot of tart/fruit sours too. Hot chicken is worth it once. I like Prince’s and Bolton’s over Hattie B’s. Prince’s might be a little out of the way as it’s up 65N heading towards Louisville.

I’d do The Bar-B-Q Shop or Central over Rendezvous. Rendezvous is the very touristy one downtown near Beale St. It’s good but the others are better and probably less of a line. Gus’s is the fried chicken spot to go to in Memphis!

I’m in Nashville often and my brother lives there. Beer scene is hot now. If you like hazy NE style IPAs then Bearded Iris and Southern Grist are fantastic. Southern Grist has a lot of tart/fruit sours too. Hot chicken is worth it once. I like Prince’s and Bolton’s over Hattie B’s. Prince’s might be a little out of the way as it’s up 65N heading towards Louisville.
Went to Central BBQ last year. It was excellent. Didn't realize it was across the street from where MLK was assassinated. Went to the civil rights museum, was pretty interesting.