My Expectations for This Week | Syracusefan.com

My Expectations for This Week

GeauxSU

2022 Cali Winner (Points Scored/Passing TDs)
While I understand both our fanbase and team's confidence heading into this week (I am very confident), I feel like these things should be said before Saturday's dawn comes. Maybe you already know these things, maybe you don't. Maybe I'm ranting:

- You better flippin' believe Jim Mora will have his TEAM and however many Dog fans show up to the Rent on Saturday ready. We're 1-5 in Week 2 games and you'd better believe that both that team and their fans know it and want to make it 6. We need to weather the storm for the first 15 minutes. They will be putting everything into that opening punch. Do that, and you kill them. They will quit. Hell, it took them a quarter and a half to score against CCSU. We battle, we win. Simple.
- Don't care what the line says, they have some good players, especially their fantastic back Nate Carter (out of...checks notes...Rochester?) We neutralize their run game and force them to throw the ball, we win. Simple.
- Special teams will be key in this game. UConn's returner muffed a punt last week and turned the ball over and they were gifted great field position all game due to the fact that they were just pinning CCSU deep each drive. We win in the special teams game and we control field position, we win. Simple

My point here, fellow Syracuse superfans, is as much as I hate those bad dogs from Storrs, we need to hope that the team has been prepared as if this game is against a conference opponent. Hell, I want them to be prepared as if they are playing Alabama. Complacency is not an option in this game.

Because if we come out complacent, we lose a howler. And that would not be good for my stress eating (drinking)

Let's Go MF Orange, let's whip their rear, come home and get ready for the Boilermakers. Beer of choice for the weekend: Lord Hobo Glorious NEIPA

I see what you’re saying, but I think a big part of why we looked so good against Louisville, besides so many returning players, is how well coached the players are. I don’t think the new coaching staff will let them be complacent. I think this is going to be a glorious blowout.

I see what you’re saying, but I think a big part of why we looked so good against Louisville, besides so many returning players, is how well coached the players are. I don’t think the new coaching staff will let them be complacent. I think this is going to be a glorious blowout.
Bobby Anae gives me a sense of calm when it comes to the coaching staff. No-nonsense, all business all the time type of guy.

While I understand both our fanbase and team's confidence heading into this week (I am very confident), I feel like these things should be said before Saturday's dawn comes. Maybe you already know these things, maybe you don't. Maybe I'm ranting:

- You better flippin' believe Jim Mora will have his TEAM and however many Dog fans show up to the Rent on Saturday ready. We're 1-5 in Week 2 games and you'd better believe that both that team and their fans know it and want to make it 6. We need to weather the storm for the first 15 minutes. They will be putting everything into that opening punch. Do that, and you kill them. They will quit. Hell, it took them a quarter and a half to score against CCSU. We battle, we win. Simple.
- Don't care what the line says, they have some good players, especially their fantastic back Nate Carter (out of...checks notes...Rochester?) We neutralize their run game and force them to throw the ball, we win. Simple.
- Special teams will be key in this game. UConn's returner muffed a punt last week and turned the ball over and they were gifted great field position all game due to the fact that they were just pinning CCSU deep each drive. We win in the special teams game and we control field position, we win. Simple

My point here, fellow Syracuse superfans, is as much as I hate those bad dogs from Storrs, we need to hope that the team has been prepared as if this game is against a conference opponent. Hell, I want them to be prepared as if they are playing Alabama. Complacency is not an option in this game.

Because if we come out complacent, we lose a howler. And that would not be good for my stress eating (drinking)

Let's Go MF Orange, let's whip their rear, come home and get ready for the Boilermakers. Beer of choice for the weekend: Lord Hobo Glorious NEIPA
There is no way with captains like Shrader on offense and Jones on defense that anyone on this team will be overconfident.

my hope is that tucker plays sparingly and allen gets a lot of time. schrader plays sparingly and del rio wilson gets the bulk of the time mora will be be prepared look for his " offensive creativity"' all starters play sparingly and everybody else gets the time

Orange teams of the recent past, IMO, have had a tendency to get cocky after winning just a game or two. Will be an interesting statement tomorrow to see if the new coaches have impacted that culture. I hope we see the lunchbox over the hypebox tomorrow and sustained improvement. The old saying, most football teams make the most improvement from game 1 to game 2 doesn't seem to apply to us given the 1-5 recent record. Hopefully, the boys just do what they need to do, take care of business and get out without anymore injuries.

And, for the record, I hate having these negative thoughts but I suppose that's what 20 yrs of bad to mediocre football does to you. This team feels exciting and I want to believe...

my hope is that tucker plays sparingly and allen gets a lot of time. schrader plays sparingly and del rio wilson gets the bulk of the time mora will be be prepared look for his " offensive creativity"' all starters play sparingly and everybody else gets the time
With one game under their belts, the starters will have to play at least one half.

This - we are too strong at the Coordinator positions for those kind of let downs. I am a little concerned that they will run the ball with success but if we get people on the ground we will be fine. I will be shocked if we don't drop 40 on them.

23D8832F-8CA1-4681-ADD4-63193BD905AD.jpeg

I expect that we'll compete in all 3 phases of the game. While we'll continue to work on our passing concepts, I believe we'll establish Tucker on the ground much earlier than we did vs Louisville. I expect the defense will feast.

I also would like to see the majority of our starters play the first half. I like seeing our back ups put points on the board (which I’m not used to). If we can shut their run game down we will win significantly. This year’s defense caused mass confusion for Louisville and will for UConn too. Push down on the gas and ignore the brakes. LGO!

Don't turn the ball over, clean up penalties, stay healthy. Simple stuff really.

Just hope my sneaking suspicion of more shithouse tactics like we saw from Lville is misguided and the Huskies play clean in that regard. I'm fully expecting them to play dirty though as has been the trend against Maine and teams of that caliber

You vastly over estimate uconn.

What's with all of the self loathing? We're going to handle them.

You vastly over estimate uconn.

What's with all of the self loathing? We're going to handle them.
I wouldn't call it self-loathing, I'd just call it knowing what we've done in similar situations vastly underestimating opponents in the past.

Middle Tennessee, anyone?

I wouldn't call it self-loathing, I'd just call it knowing what we've done in similar situations vastly underestimating opponents in the past.

In the Dino era I think it's been less about underestimating opponents, and more about just not being very good. We out-talent UConn all over the field.

And it'll help that half the crowd will be SU fans -- there will be road-game energy not usually seen in that horrifically boring concrete slab of a stadium.

How is this remotely similar to Middle Tennessee?

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised on Saturday.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised on Saturday.

I agree.

That MTU team would probably be favored by 14 points over this UCONN team. I certainly understand stranger things have happened and I think the game will be closer than some but eventually at some point during the game we are going to wear them down on both sides of the ball and we will wind up winning by at least a couple scores. I do expect it to stay close for awhile if UCONN is able to run the ball somewhat effectively. If they can't it will be over quickly because if they are forced to pass the ball it will get ugly.

People also have to remember the 3-3-5 defense is built on athleticism and I am sure UCONN has some big O Lineman that are bigger than our D Line but so does Cortland St. slow 285 pounders doesn't mean whole hell of a lot. We will be able to handle it. There will be some O Lines that may push us around for 4 quarters I just don't think this is one of them.

They still have to go out and execute and avoid dumb turnovers.

I also think people are giving the UCONN fanbase too much credit, there isn't many left

MTSU was purely a dumpster fire due to the Cigar Boy factor, not just him knowing our personnel but more the players let his return get in their heads, they and Dino admitted as much after the game. he was a sucko coach but the kids loved the guy. and not that MTSU was Clemson or anything, but they were a lot better than this U Conn team.

East Hartford is in the middle of Connecticut.

At least my state has the good sense to call the university there "Central".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom