My Expectations, Your Expectations, Reasonable Expectations Year 1 | Syracusefan.com

My Expectations, Your Expectations, Reasonable Expectations Year 1

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
This thread was coming eventually.

I think my expectations next year, assuming Judah/Jesse/Joe/JBA/Symir are gone, are that we’re above .500 overall and qualify for a postseason tournament. And thats it. And no in no way should we even think about hot seat discussions if these aren’t met, barring a single digit win finish.

I think that’s reasonable for year 1. I dont think we immediately return to tournament contention or the top 25. Theres some work to do.

If Judah comes back,

I have faith Red brings in some experienced size at C and PF. In which I adjust my expectations to 20 wins, a top half finish in the ACC and at least being on the bubble.

Judah’s a generational Cuse college basketball talent as a sophomore and we have a head coach who can push a guard to realize some potential imo. He’s a Waiters like talent who as a sophomore will be able to impose his will when provided some decent support. We have a staff I think who can build that support.

This is the scenario where we test the maintaining of an Orange Standard immediately.

Im just excited

I think at the least, grit and pride will return to the program on the court. We’ll see a team that fights and knows that they’re representing a culture bigger than themselves individually.

Last edited:
It all depends on who comes back and what we get in the portal. so I have no expectations and probably wouldn’t till the season gets here. Basically Red has one year free for me
Yeah, mid to long term I’m of the mind that Red deserves at least the three years hinted barring back to back years of last place <10 win finishes.

Last edited:
I do not know about what record I expect until I see the final roster. Right now I expect to see a massive upgrade in talent. I was told over and over again how JB was holding back our recruiters and we were not able to land a number of top players because of JB. I expect that to start happening NOW...

As far as game play I hope we play more aggressive on both ends and play with space and pace like he said I really hoping for exciting basketball game in and game out where we get up and down the court like we use to.

My biggest concern Year 1 is that Maui gauntlet. Depending what happens there, I think we can upgrade by about five wins.

Expectations for me are in phases. Phase 1 and 1A will be recruiting- our own guys and then additional talent that fits the scheme.

Phase 2 is the summer- getting a look at what the team has and how they perform overseas ( assuming like previous years there will be a stream to catch). Hopefully from there we have something to work off of.

Given this is year one we certainly could see a good year if Phase 1 and 1A is a homerun. Alternatively - a winning season with evidence we can beat some good teams to me is a logical first year expectation. Losing season would be missing the mark, tourney and 20 wins would be a little above expectation in year 1.

I do not know about what record I expect until I see the final roster. Right now I expect to see a massive upgrade in talent. I was told over and over again how JB was holding back our recruiters and we were not able to land a number of top players because of JB. I expect that to start happening NOW...

As far as game play I hope we play more aggressive on both ends and play with space and pace like he said I really hoping for exciting basketball game in and game out where we get up and down the court like we use to.
How the heck is that a fair expectation? Recruiting isn’t a binary in or out thing. Other programs have a 2 to 3 year head start on recruiting against us and having the hc build relationships. Also our main bag guy seems to be a big question mark. It took us a decade to get to this point… you really think it’s fair to think one off season will fix all the rot?

How the heck is that a fair expectation? Recruiting isn’t a binary in or out thing. Other programs have a 2 to 3 year head start on recruiting against us and having the hc build relationships. Also our main bag guy seems to be a big question mark. It took us a decade to get to this point… you really think it’s fair to think one off season will fix all the rot?

So are you saying these past 2 to 3 years RED and our coaching staff haven't been out building relationships?? WHAT ?

Check out the recruiting board. These guys are grinding and having a great time with each other doing it. I’m very optimistic. Sure we will have growing pains, but having JB gone is going to allow the rest of our coaches to fulfill their potential.

We’re still Syracuse and like Red said the same standard applies so I always go into the year expecting the tourney at a minimum.

Now obviously if Judah and Jesse are gone that’s not going to be fair to hold Red to.

I’d say the most important thing next year is a clear indication that Red’s vision is being implemented. A more modern offense playing with pace and pushing the tempo. An aggressive D that mixes and match dependent on the opponent. We see those things, no matter the record it’s going to be very encouraging to see we’re building back to what we expect from this program.

Red has 4 years to make it to a sweet 16.

Anything less, and they will have to take a close look at what progress he is making towards that goal.

If Cuse qualifies for a couple, and is competitive in the games, but recruiting is good, then OK, closer look..

If Cuse fails to qualify, etc, then we have problems.

Last edited:
No expectations for next year. Too early to offer much of a guess without knowing what players we’ll have. I wouldn’t be surprised by a losing season. I wouldn’t be surprised by a 22-ish win season. I suppose I would be surprised by a top 25 season; I think we all would.

Beyond that, I do expect to be in the tournament in 2025 and a regular participant year after year. I don’t know that we’ll get back to our former glory in the near future; I expect we won’t.

Personally I think he should only get 2 years to make the tournament. He probably gets 3. I think it should be 2 because of where the program is. We cannot allow it to get worse, soon it will avalanche.

With that said, basketball is the easiest sport to turn around in 1 year with the portal. Pound the portal for 2 years and get your recruiting in order.

I think we have a real problem if we are within 4 games of .500 and need to have 20 wins by year 2 even if we don’t make the tournament.

Program is in a bad spot, for those reasons red doesn’t/shouldn’t have a long leash.

Personally I think he should only get 2 years to make the tournament. He probably gets 3. I think it should be 2 because of where the program is. We cannot allow it to get worse, soon it will avalanche.

With that said, basketball is the easiest sport to turn around in 1 year with the portal. Pound the portal for 2 years and get your recruiting in order.

I think we have a real problem if we are within 4 games of .500 and need to have 20 wins by year 2 even if we don’t make the tournament.

Program is in a bad spot, for those reasons red doesn’t/shouldn’t have a long leash.
Program is in a bad spot so he DOESN’T/ SHOULDN’T have a long leash?
What????

This thread was coming eventually.

I think my expectations next year, assuming Judah/Jesse/Joe/JBA/Symir are gone, are that we’re above .500 overall and qualify for a postseason tournament. And thats it. And no in no way should we even think about hot seat discussions if these aren’t met, barring a single digit win finish.

I think that’s reasonable for year 1. I dont think we immediately return to tournament contention or the top 25. Theres some work to do.

If Judah comes back,

I have faith Red brings in some experienced size at C and PF. In which I adjust my expectations to 20 wins, a top half finish in the ACC and at least being on the bubble.

Judah’s a generational Cuse college basketball talent as a sophomore and we have a head coach who can push a guard to realize some potential imo. He’s a Waiters like talent who as a sophomore will be able to impose his will when provided some decent support. We have a staff I think who can build that support.

This is the scenario where we test the maintaining of an Orange Standard immediately.

Im just excited

I think at the least, grit and pride will return to the program on the court. We’ll see a team that fights and knows that they’re representing a culture bigger than themselves individually.
Come now. I love Judah but he is no Dion

Nice achievements would be
  • Top 6 in conference
  • Advancing to the final 4 in the ACC
  • 'Qualifying' for the NCAA tournament (i.e. being solidly in 'bubble' conversations)
  • Making the NCAA tournament
  • Being competitive in the NCAA tournament
  • Advancing to the round of 32
  • Advancing to the sweet 16
The bar is pretty low for year 1 & perhaps even year 2 because in a worst case scenario, this is a complete rebuild. However, in a best case scenario, with Mintz and Edwards back, and a couple good players off the portal, I would hope we could be in the bubble conversation.
By year 2 I want to see some competitiveness and successes on the recruiting trail. Mintz would be gone by now, so this year could actually be a reset expectations year..
By year 3, it would be ideal to achieve some of these goals above.
By year 4, we should be sniffing sweet 16s.

A 'home run hire' would be advancing to the sweet 16. But, if we are competitive in the tournament, by year 4, then that would be great too.

I do hear what you are saying about a 'short leash', but there are no guarantees a national search / coach solves anything. We want Red to be successful, otherwise the last 9 years could be the new normal.

Program is in a bad spot so he DOESN’T/ SHOULDN’T have a long leash?
What????
Yes, he has 0 experience and he can’t make the team go further down into the gutter. Should have been a national search, there wasn’t. I will support red. But he should 100% have a short leash because we are already at a tipping point. Look at football. Pasqoloni was fading. Program was getting worse. Fired him and hired Grob. We hit rock bottom. I’m sorry I don’t trust a top 10 program to a coach that has only been an assistant for 12 years, no head coaching experience, and 9 of those 12 years were the worst the program has seen. So yes, short leash. Can’t give the guy 5 years to turn it around (especially in basketball, where it is easier to change the program trajectory in 1-2 years.). There should be no honeymoon period here.

Clearly you disageee. This doesn’t mean I won’t give the man my full support.

Going to be cool seeing Red and his assistants work together -expect Red will have an open ear during games.

2 years is a choke chain not a leash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom