My favorite Troy Nunes play - '99 at Pitt | Syracusefan.com

My favorite Troy Nunes play - '99 at Pitt

Eric15

Living Legend
I just randomly came across this on YouTube and thought I'd share. Who else was at this game? I remember sitting near Madei Williams' parents.

Unfortunately a lot of his plays looked like this, running backward like a crazy person to avoid blitzes, but instead of TDs they ended in INTs.

My favorite play and first memory of SU football (even though I had been to previous games) was when Cheriehoop and the old man brought me to the Florida game as a five year old and Kirby Dar Dar ran back the opening kick. Loudest I ever experienced the Dome.

There's a reason they call Nunes an Absolute Magician.

I just randomly came across this on YouTube and thought I'd share. Who else was at this game? I remember sitting near Madei Williams' parents.

Coupla things come to mind:
- I always think of Bennett when someone posts that we "wasted" a scholarship on a long snapper.
- Nunes was an absolute magician.
- I forgot how much I liked Kyle Johnson as a player.

My favorite play and first memory of SU football (even though I had been to previous games) was when Cheriehoop and the old man brought me to the Florida game as a five year old and Kirby Dar Dar ran back the opening kick. Loudest I ever experienced the Dome.

My favorite play too. Searched YouTube for it for years now.

He busted his butt to get to that ball fast enough to have a chance to make a play. Troy was under appreciated during his time on the Hill. Got the most out of his ability.

Also, this is Exhibit A for why it is a good idea to have a QB as the holder for extra points and field goals.

He busted his butt to get to that ball fast enough to have a chance to make a play. Troy was under appreciated during his time on the Hill.

Have you ever heard of www.nunesmagician.com? :)

Ernie has a statue, Jim Brown has a big poster in the dome, Troy has his name on the biggest blog.

Nunes was a Pittsburgh killer. I think he had a few real good games against them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That was a great night for the Orangemen. First year post-McNabb, coming in to a national prime time Thursday night game at 4-1 with just that close loss to Michigan. Hype about how our 2-headed QB situation was actually working well.

Then a week later we played Virginia Tech and the whole season went to .

That was a great night for the Orangemen. First year post-McNabb, coming in to a national prime time Thursday night game at 4-1 with just that close loss to Michigan. Hype about how our 2-headed QB situation was actually working well.

Then a week later we played Virginia Tech and the whole season went to .

It was the tale of two seasons. Under today's grounding rules, that Michigan game is probably going to overtime (although he backed up 50 yards so I'm not sure he could throw it that far back to the LOS).

VT and Rutgers that year were probably the 2 worst losses of the Pasqualoni era. Before I'm reminded, I could easily rattle off all the good wins.

Managed to sneak into a bowl, which went the opposite way of our season. Started horrible, their TE had about 8 catches, 400 yards, 2 TDs in the first 5 minutes of the game, and it looked pretty bad. Then he got hurt, and the rest of the game went our way.

It was the tale of two seasons. Under today's grounding rules, that Michigan game is probably going to overtime (although he backed up 50 yards so I'm not sure he could throw it that far back to the LOS).

VT and Rutgers that year were probably the 2 worst losses of the Pasqualoni era. Before I'm reminded, I could easily rattle off all the good wins.

Managed to sneak into a bowl, which went the opposite way of our season. Started horrible, their TE had about 8 catches, 400 yards, 2 TDs in the first 5 minutes of the game, and it looked pretty bad. Then he got hurt, and the rest of the game went our way.

Yep, and it was a sign of how all our seasons would go for the next 5 years. Equal amounts of excellence and crapitude.

And if I remember correctly, the crowd breakdown at the Music City Bowl was about 40K Kentucky fans, and 40 Syracuse fans.

And if I remember correctly, the crowd breakdown at the Music City Bowl was about 40K Kentucky fans, and 40 Syracuse fans.

A crappy bowl, in Tennessee, 2 days after Christmas, for a 6-5 team, that lost to a dreadful Rutgers team to close the season... stunning we traveled so poorly to that one. ;)

I think you nailed the Syracuse number. But you are light on the Kentucky blue. One team who had become accustomed to more attractive bowl games. The other who was just happy to go to a bowl game.

Imagine how good a Music City Bowl would look now.

he was always a full all out competitor and i bet someday he would make a great coach---never say die player

A crappy bowl, in Tennessee, 2 days after Christmas, for a 6-5 team, that lost to a dreadful Rutgers team to close the season... stunning we traveled so poorly to that one. ;)

Certainly can't disagree with any of that... but didn't we have disappointing fan turnouts at the 1997 Fiesta and 1998 Orange Bowls, as well?

Certainly can't disagree with any of that... but didn't we have disappointing fan turnouts at the 1997 Fiesta and 1998 Orange Bowls, as well?

Fiesta had some storm issues that prevented people from going, but I'm not sure that would have mattered much. Add 5,000 people and that place was still going to look all purple. Fiesta Bowl would never be a good place for SU to turn out big #'s.

Orange wasn't bad. Obviously Florida had more people than us, but I thought we had a pretty good sized section. Was hard to tell since we didn't have much to cheer about, but I thought we were loud when the team came onto the field (and then never again).

All I can remember is him retreating into the endzone throwing off his back foot and having it intercepted. I am pretty sure there where multiple instances where that occurred. :bang: But then against VT he played like the second coming of John Elway when we upset them in the dome.

Fiesta had some storm issues that prevented people from going, but I'm not sure that would have mattered much. Add 5,000 people and that place was still going to look all purple. Fiesta Bowl would never be a good place for SU to turn out big #'s.

Orange wasn't bad. Obviously Florida had more people than us, but I thought we had a pretty good sized section. Was hard to tell since we didn't have much to cheer about, but I thought we were loud when the team came onto the field (and then never again).

The worst part was they kept showing P with this blank look on his face, like "This wasn't supposed to happen".

Not sure about the Fiesta, I was watching in a bar at on New Year's Eve in Boston and everything is a bit hazy from that night. I think we had a decent enough turnout in Miami though. I mean SU is never, ever going to be sending 25K to a southern bowl, so our measure of traveling well is just simply different than the behemoth schools from the south and midwest. I seem to recall hearing that we had ~15K for the Orange, that seems about right for us.

All I can remember is him retreating into the endzone throwing off his back foot and having it intercepted. I am pretty sure there where multiple instances where that occurred. :bang: But then against VT he played like the second coming of John Elway when we upset them in the dome.

I think the Tech game in the Dome involved one of those "off the back foot from the end zone" interceptions, wiping out an Elway-esque first-half (and a great game by the defense) and snatching defeat from the jaws of upset victory. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores100/100295/100295415.htm#RECAPS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom