My idea to fix to the ACC divisions | Syracusefan.com

My idea to fix to the ACC divisions

Alsacs

Living Legend
Since I am OH so popular right now on this board I might as give my opinion as to how to fix ACC divisional setup. I realize my forthcoming suggestion is unlikely to happen, but here it goes. I would continue an 8 game schedule to keep Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Clemson happy and continue having 1 guaranteed cross-over opponent.

Atlantic Division
Boston College
Florida State
Louisville
Miami (Fl)
NC State
Syracuse
Wake Forest

Coastal Division
Clemson
Duke
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech

My protected cross-over games each year
Syracuse-Pittsburgh( we have played Pitt more than any other BCS opponent)
North Carolina-NC State (these teams need to play each year for the Wolfpack fanbase to be able to successfully taunt the Tarheel fanbase in one sport)
Duke-Wake Forest (these 2 private NC schools enjoy a friendly rivalry)
now here are the changes
Florida State- Clemson (the 2 top ACC football brands and consistent top 25 teams continue playing each year and allow the conference to potentially have them play a rematch if each win their division.
Miami- Virginia Tech (these schools enjoy a rivalry that has gone on from the old Big East thru their joint move to the ACC together and this protection keeps VPI happy.)
Georgia Tech-Louisville (these schools have no current history, but are both decent historically in football and since both are Southern states that live in the shadow of their SEC rivals Kentucky and Georgia and could develop a nice little rivalry for the ACC.)
Boston College-Virginia (this one is made because obviously they are the last two schools and it would work because both schools have simliar student bodys and UVA considers themselves an elitist university and Boston College is a good academic university and it could develop a decent rivalry.)

The summarize my only change is I flip Miami and Clemson and this change would work for the conference because it would split the 2 top ACC football brands and still maintain competitive balance. The Coastal with Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina. The Atlantic with Florida State, Miami, Louisville, Syracuse. I am sure the Coastal wouldn't like having no Florida teams, but they would still play Miami and Florida State in cross over games for sure. Clemson would be okay with this because they would play North Carolina, Florida State, Georgia Tech and they could develop a rivalry with Virginia Tech. Miami is happy because they get more games in the Northeast for their alumni in Boston College and Syracuse more frequently.

Since I am OH so popular right now on this board I might as give my opinion as to how to fix ACC divisional setup. I realize my forthcoming suggestion is unlikely to happen, but here it goes. I would continue an 8 game schedule to keep Florida State, Georgia Tech, and Clemson happy and continue having 1 guaranteed cross-over opponent.

Atlantic Division
Boston College
Florida State
Louisville
Miami (Fl)
NC State
Syracuse
Wake Forest

Coastal Division
Clemson
Duke
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech

My protected cross-over games each year
Syracuse-Pittsburgh( we have played Pitt more than any other BCS opponent)
North Carolina-NC State (these teams need to play each year for the Wolfpack fanbase to be able to successfully taunt the Tarheel fanbase in one sport)
Duke-Wake Forest (these 2 private NC schools enjoy a friendly rivalry)
now here are the changes
Florida State- Clemson (the 2 top ACC football brands and consistent top 25 teams continue playing each year and allow the conference to potentially have them play a rematch if each win their division.
Miami- Virginia Tech (these schools enjoy a rivalry that has gone on from the old Big East thru their joint move to the ACC together and this protection keeps VPI happy.)
Georgia Tech-Louisville (these schools have no current history, but are both decent historically in football and since both are Southern states that live in the shadow of their SEC Kentucky and Georgia and could develop a nice little rivalry for the ACC.)
Boston College-Virginia (this one is made because obviously they are the last two schools and it would work because both schools have simliar student bodys and UVA considers themselves an elitist university and Boston College is a good academic university and it could develop a decent rivalry.)

The summarize my only change is I flip Miami and Clemson and this change would work for the conference because it would split the 2 top ACC football brands and still maintain competitive balance. The Coastal with Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina. The Atlantic with Florida State, Miami, Louisville, Syracuse. I am sure the Coastal wouldn't like having no Florida teams, but they would still play Miami and Florida State in cross over games for sure. Clemson would be okay with this because they would play North Carolina, Florida State, Georgia Tech and they could develop a rivalry with Virginia Tech. Miami is happy because they get more games in the Northeast for their alumni in Boston College and Syracuse more frequently.

Miami and Florida State have always wanted to be in separate divisions so that they can meet in the ACC Championship Game. The main complaint that Florida State has is that they want Georgia Tech in their division in exchange for either Syracuse or Boston College.

The irony is that in a decade Miami and Florida State have never played in the Championship Game. In fact, Miami has never made it. They would have last year and would have played FSU, but they disqualified themselves while waiting on NCAA sanctions.

Division A
Miami
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
VT
L'ville
UVA

Division B
Duke
UNC
NC State
Clemson
FSU
WF
GT

Reunite the old BE schools and throw in one other school to even out the divisions. You regionalize the divisions as much as possible. Miami in a division with a lot of northeastern schools makes them happy. It is easy to remember for most fans who is in what division.

Division A
Miami
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
VT
L'ville
UVA

Division B
Duke
UNC
NC State
Clemson
FSU
WF
GT

Reunite the old BE schools and throw in one other school to even out the divisions. You regionalize the divisions as much as possible. Miami in a division with a lot of northeastern schools makes them happy. It is easy to remember for most fans who is in what division.
In your idea I would switch Wake Forest and UVA and guarantee Wake a UNC game each year and Va. Tech a game with UVA each year.

Division A
Miami
BC
Syracuse
Pitt
VT
L'ville
UVA

Division B
Duke
UNC
NC State
Clemson
FSU
WF
GT

and UVA goes to the B1G because they don't want to play in the old BE

The main complaint that Florida State has is that they want Georgia Tech in their division in exchange for either Syracuse or Boston College.
Or Louisville.

Reunite the old BE schools and throw in one other school to even out the divisions. You regionalize the divisions as much as possible.
Yankee vs. Confederate, I mean BE vs. ACC, would be the beginning of the end. Can't do it.

This is where pods in a 16-team conference would be beneficial. You could have 2 northern pods, and once every 3 years you'd have your desired matchups.

Don't forget VT to the SEC because they don't want that either.

Cheers,
Neil
Yeah , if VT or UVA leave it will be because of $$$$$ NOT because of what division they are in :rolleyes:

If anybody on this board frequents other ACC boards and wants to see what they think of the Clemson/Miami switch and the different protected rivalries please go ahead and use this and see how they gauge the change. I think its something Swofford may want to consider if Louisville is going to be a consistent top 25 team and he doesn't want to do the Georgia Tech/Louisville switch.

Yeah , if VT or UVA leave it will be because of $$$$$ NOT because of what division they are in :rolleyes:
UVA is happy with its current $$$ and like an honorable Southern university will not move its Athletic Department strictly for money, but if they don't get to play fellow Southern universities North Carolina, Duke, Georgia Tech each and every year they would probably be more likely to move to the B1G. North Carolina-Virginia is an important rivalry to each school. Virginia has to play to 3 schools each year Georgia Tech (for Atlanta alums), Virginia Tech( in-state rivalry), and North Carolina( UVA-UNC are like elitist brothers who meet at the country club who like each other and make fun of their blue collar brothers NC State and VPI) if you take UVA out of its comfort zone just for the heck of it then UVA will be likely to take its ball and go elsewhere.

Yankee vs. Confederate, I mean BE vs. ACC, would be the beginning of the end. Can't do it.

This is where pods in a 16-team conference would be beneficial. You could have 2 northern pods, and once every 3 years you'd have your desired matchups.

We could have pods even with 14 teams:

1. Two four teams plus two three team pods.
2. Two potential divisional combinations
3. Six within games division, plus two OOD to maintain rivalries and games between cross pod members that will never be in the same division.

Every could play each other at least once every three years.

Duh!, the money is already there for them to claim. Oh Lord

If they leave it will be because the league they thought they were in changes so much that it becomes either unrecognizable to them (UVa) or becomes what they ran away from (VT).

Cheers,
Neil

UVA is happy with its current $$$ and like an honorable Southern university will not move its Athletic Department strictly for money

I had to stop right there I couldn't stop laughing. A school is honorable and wouldn't leave strictly for money...ha ha ha ha ha!! ha ha ha!!

I had to stop right there I couldn't stop laughing. A school is honorable and wouldn't leave strictly for money...ha ha ha ha ha!! ha ha ha!!

Though this wasn't directed toward me and though Alsacs mentioning of honorable may indeed be over the top, since you seem to hold the belief that $$$ trumps all please enlighten us on why UNC or UVa or VT haven't left the ACC yet?

Cheers,
Neil

Though this wasn't directed toward me and though Alsacs mentioning of honorable may indeed be over the top, since you seem to hold the belief that $$$ trumps all please enlighten us on why UNC or UVa or VT haven't left the ACC yet?

Cheers,
Neil
They haven't been offered to go anywhere else officially. Once they are offered they will leave if the money is greater.

They haven't been offered to go anywhere else officially. Once they are offered they will leave if the money is greater.

And you know they haven't been offered how?

Most offers are not made publicly known until the offered school has indicated they will accept privately.

Perhaps you truly believe that the SEC struggled for months in choosing #14 Mizzou while never even considering offering the position to VT?

And this is supposedly the smarter board?!? :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Neil

Whether you believe this or not all colleges don't change conferences strictly for money. If a university is making 25 million dollars a year and they enjoy their conference affiliation they won't leave a conference of like minded schools for another conference that will pay them 40 million dollars a year if they are comfortable with their situation. The University of Virginia which has an acceptance rate of 33% is not going to move strictly for money they have an earned elitist mindset of wanting to be with like minded universities. If we follow your idea they won't be with like minded universities and as they will be in the Big East circa 2002 with Louisville instead of West Virginia. Not all schools will move for just for money.

I believe that the proposed South Division schools would go along with it right now. The majority of the proposed North Division schools would, too. But, UVa and VPI would never vote for it, IMHO. I doubt there'd be anything you could guarantee either of them that'd get them to agree to it. Not even promising to protect the UNC-UVA rivalry, and, making Clemson the Hokies' permanent cross-divisional opponents.

That'd also mean nine conference games per season, and, Clemson, among others, are adamantly against that.

I believe that the proposed South Division schools would go along with it right now. The majority of the proposed North Division schools would, too. But, UVa and VPI would never vote for it, IMHO. I doubt there'd be anything you could guarantee either of them that'd get them to agree to it. Not even promising to protect the UNC-UVA rivalry, and, making Clemson the Hokies' permanent cross-divisional opponents.

That'd also mean nine conference games per season, and, Clemson, among others, are adamantly against that.
What about the Miami-Clemson flip-flop would Coastal schools be adamantly opposed on not having a guaranteed team from Florida on the schedule each year?

here is the best most balanced divisions for football while keeping as many of rivalries together as possible while numbering teams 1-14.

Atlantic Division -------------------------------------------------------------------Coastal Division
Virginia Tech(5)--------------------------------------------------------------------- Boston College(14)
Pittsburgh(10)-------------------------------------------------------------------------Syracuse(9)
Miami (FL)(3) -----------------------------------------------------------------------Florida State(1)
North Carolina(7)-------------------------------------------------------------------NC State(8)
Duke(13)------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wake Forest(12)
Virginia(11)----------------------------------------------------------------------------Louisville(6)
Clemson(2)---------------------------------------------------------------------------Georgia Tech(4)

here is the best most balanced divisions for football while keeping as many of rivalries together as possible while numbering teams 1-14.

Atlantic Division -------------------------------------------------------------------Coastal Division
Virginia Tech(5)--------------------------------------------------------------------- Boston College(14)
Pittsburgh(10)-------------------------------------------------------------------------Syracuse(9)
Miami (FL)(3) -----------------------------------------------------------------------Florida State(1)
North Carolina(7)-------------------------------------------------------------------NC State(8)
Duke(13)------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wake Forest(12)
Virginia(11)----------------------------------------------------------------------------Louisville(6)
Clemson(2)---------------------------------------------------------------------------Georgia Tech(4)
I like this as well and would call the division on the right Atlantic since it has 6 current Atlantic teams. I am okay with a Clemson-Georgia Tech flip-flop, but Clemson-Florida State would play a lot less. Florida State wants to play Clemson, Miami, and Georgia Tech and hard thing is finding a way all 3 and accomplishing this outside of switching Louisville and Georgia Tech and not alienating North Carolina and Virginia.

And you know they haven't been offered how?

Most offers are not made publicly known until the offered school has indicated they will accept privately.

Perhaps you truly believe that the SEC struggled for months in choosing #14 Mizzou while never even considering offering the position to VT?

Cheers,
Neil
I live in reality not on rumors. They haven't been offered.

Now that's funny
What I mean is that a team like North Carolina wouldn't join the B1G just to make 20 million dollars more than they will make in the ACC. Sometimes comfort and familiarity mean more. As long as UNC can remain the King of the ACC they won't leave for the B1G even if they can make more money. Whether you believe it or not the B1G presidents have given Jim Delany a list of teams he can offer and North Carolina has a standing offer on the table from the B1G and could probably get one from the SEC if they wanted to leave the ACC. Schools like Iowa, Minnesota will make more than North Carolina and Virginia and as long as they are comfortable playing traditional riv@ls and they are maintaining a sphere of influence within their conference they probably won't leave the ACC. Putting UVA in a division with the old Big East isn't going to appeal to them now your idea would probably get a lot of support from a clear majority of ACC schools, but with how vulnerable the conference could be the ACC has to keep Florida State, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech as happy as they can within reason moving UVA into that division you suggested would likely accelerate them looking at the B1G as an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom