my JB info | Syracusefan.com

my JB info

BillSU

All American
I am a friend of Jim's. Used to pick him up about 4P.M. with another friend of his at Bradley Airport in CT when they were in town to play UConn. The team would go to the Marriott and we'd take Jim to the best kid(s) he was recruiting in CT. Sat through many BB games with him until he was satisfied before going to dinner at a diner at midnight.

Knowing him as a coach and person, he's a really nice person. As a coach he's a grinder.

He doesn't like good, experienced players making mistakes like Allen Griffin. He will call you off the court and get right into your problem that he just told you how to correct and you did it again. It's like dealing with little kids but they are not kids and after awhile they don't like it and this year they have an option to get him out of their face and go play more minutes for somebody else. Hope it works out for them.

He can't afford to have people continually making the same mistakes at this level. As far as picking the right person for the positions we have to fill with the right player from the Transfer Portal we'll see. It's like art. It's all subjective. I hope I am wrong about this but he and his coaches will pick someone they think is going to fill the positions for next year and fifty to one hundred here will think he's wrong. Or, they won't know how those picks are going to work out with the players who've chosen to stay.

He was right when his eighth grade teacher told him he wasn't going to please everybody, especially a basketball coach - none of us can please our bosses, family friends 100 per cent of the time.

At seventy six your effort is, I have to guess, not what it was at 38. There's not a whole lot you can do. The man was a bright, coaching mind when he started out in 1976-77 at 26-4.

He continued that run for 45 years. He's going to leave when he wants to. With 39 - 20+ win seasons, 6 - 30+ win seasons a total of 1083, (101included), wins vs. 408 losses .726. He's earned that. The people that see it differently will have to wait until he's gone.

I am guessing he's leaning on his assistant coaches a bit in recruiting and coaching practices but I am still his biggest fan.

Last edited:
He has absolutely earned the right to walk away when he chooses for all he has done at and for SU. If that means we hover on the bubble for a couple more years when he’s not at his best, so be it. If you could get Nick Sagan right now for the football program, win and be top 20 for the next 20 years but then suffer in mediocrity for the last couple would you sign up for that? Of course you would.

I am a friend of Jim's. Used to pick him up about 4P.M. with another friend of his at Bradley Airport in CT when they were in town to play UConn. The team would go to the Marriott and we'd take Jim to the best kid(s) he was recruiting in CT. Sat through many BB games with him until he was satisfied before going to dinner at a diner at midnight.

Knowing him as a coach and person he's a really nice person. As a coach he's a grinder.

He doesn't like good, experienced players making mistakes like Allen Griffin. He will call you off the court and get right into your problem that he just told you how to correct and you did it again. It's like dealing with little kids but they are not kids and after awhile they don't like it and this year they have an option to get him out of their face and go play more minutes for somebody else. Hope it works out for them.

He can't afford to have people continually making the same mistakes at this level. As far as picking the right person for the positions we have to fill with the right player from the Transfer Portal we'll see. It's like art. It's all subjective. I hope I am wrong about this but he and his coaches will pick someone they think is going to fill the positions for next year and fifty to one hundred here will think he's wrong. Or, they won't know how those picks are going to work out with the players who've chosen to stay.

He was right when his eighth grade teacher told him he wasn't going to please everybody, especially a basketball coach - none of us can please our bosses, family friends 100 per cent of the time.

At seventy six your effort is, I have to guess, not what it was at 38. There's not a whole lot you can do. The man was a bright, coaching mind when he started out in 1976-77 at 26-4.

He continued that run for 45 years. He's going to leave when he wants to. With 39 - 20+ win seasons, 6 - 30+ win seasons a total of 1083, (101included), wins vs. 408 losses .726. He's earned that. The people that see it differently will have to wait until he's gone.

I am still his biggest fan.

I am guessing he's leaning on his assistant coaches a bit in recruiting and coaching practices but I am still his biggest fan.
Great post! Thanks for sharing.

There is a possibility that the new world could suit him to a degree. Instead of having to sit on hard bleachers in a HS gym all night to scout players, you can do it by watching college bball games on tv in your living room. And we know he already does that. So it could be a blessing for a 76 year old coach.

Knowing him as a coach and person he's a really nice person. As a coach he's a grinder.

You may be his biggest fan, but I'm right up there. In fact, Jim Boeheim's the only reason I really follow Syracuse basketball. I don't "bleed Orange", have no connection to SU, but fate put me in CNY for a couple of decades, starting around the Louie & Bouie show, and I like basketball, so...

It's really the Story of Jim Boeheim for me, the reason I follow the SU basketball program. He was never one of these Charming Salesman types...just a guy who had a keen interest in the challenge of coaching and apparently knew how to talk to basketball players, well enough to get some good ones to come play for him. Then, the Dome and success happened for him and I really liked the story...

I soon found myself arguing with many and various Boeheim Bashers back in the day, who seemed to perceive his "Nerd Visuals" as a sign of weakness they could pounce on. I've always had a thing for The Underdog and Jim seemed to fit that profile to me. Since I like to argue when I think I have a good position to defend, it was a natural for me to take up the crusade to defend Boeheim from his armchair critics.

When/if Boeheim retires before I retire from this stint on earth, I'll probably follow the Syracuse basketball program...for a while...but just to see what follows in the wake of his legendary basketball story. In the meantime, from where I'm sitting, the legend will continue on to new heights...

A breath of fresh air to blow away the stale negativism. Thank you sir!

Thank you for sticking your neck out and speaking from the heart.

Best rational post I’ve seen on here in 20 years. We are so spoiled to have this incredible winning program which started with Roy Danforth and has continued with Jim Boeheim. All of us are armchair experts, however we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes with these kids who have been put on a pedestal their whole lives due to their basketball prowess. Too many are now bailing, in all programs, when they don’t get the playing time they believe they deserve. Get used to it, it’s the youth of today which we’ve created, for better or worse...

Best rational post I’ve seen on here in 20 years. We are so spoiled to have this incredible winning program which started with Roy Danforth and has continued with Jim Boeheim. All of us are armchair experts, however we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes with these kids who have been put on a pedestal their whole lives due to their basketball prowess. Too many are now bailing, in all programs, when they don’t get the playing time they believe they deserve. Get used to it, it’s the youth of today which we’ve created, for better or worse...
Well said.

but then all geneseo grads are geniuses

Well said.

but then all geneseo grads are geniuses
Ha ha ha, back then they let idiots like me in there. My daughter went there when it was a “smart” school......but it certainly wasn’t anywhere near as fun! Thank god cell phones weren’t around back in the day, it was a crazy time where you could get away with insane s@!?!!!!!

Ha ha ha, back then they let idiots like me in there. My daughter went there when it was a “smart” school...but it certainly wasn’t anywhere near as fun! Thank god cell phones weren’t around back in the day, it was a crazy time where you could get away with insane s@!?!!!!!

yep

rat, ib, waldos, augies, vital, idle, gjs,

good times

I soon found myself arguing with many and various Boeheim Bashers back in the day, who seemed to perceive his "Nerd Visuals" as a sign of weakness they could pounce on.
this sentence cracked me up when you consider the guy played professional basketball and is still a nerd to some people.

All the jb haters can smd, HE IS SU BASKETBALL. There i said it lol

1617334946379.gif

Bigger than Julie?

Great post. Always love reading posts that bring a historical perspective w/ them.
I became a JB fan in the early ‘80’s when I took notice of the perennial 20 win seasons, conference dominance, and high tournament seeds and appearances. JB, for whatever reason, has always elicited very personal criticisms from people. I’d argue w/ friends who’d say; “He’s not a good coach. He’s never “won” anything”. Yet, there we were like clockwork year after year, in the mix for championships. His greatest asset has always been his consistency. Programs drop off some, but SU has ALWAYS managed to stay relevant. We still pull headlines that some other programs don’t. That’s a fact that some in our fanbase, like it or not, have to acknowledge.
After ‘87 & especially ‘96, i didn’t feel the need to defend him anymore. His record spoke for itself. And I’ve gone on record here that defending him does not mean absolving him of any criticisms. The two can be mutually exclusive.
We are a spoiled fanbase, and we are that because of JAB. It’ll be fascinating to watch as we get a new guy in a coupla years, and the winning pauses or God forbid, stops. We WILL look back on these as the “good old days” for SU bball. JMHO

Last edited:
So the program folds when he leaves? SU will trudge onwards with or without him
No ya dingus im on your side lol, im very optimistic for the future but facts are facts and jim is the one that built this program into a destination for the future heir

His kids are both d1 players, he deserves this swan song, he's awful to the media, he's wrong about Richmond/Girard, and almost everyone else in basketball history would be wrong more often than he is

Gave your post a like. Going to nitpick a bit. Please know I appreciate your post.

1) I would defend my friends like you, so I get it. Whether they were a coach or a garbage man, wouldn’t matter. I can appreciate going to bat for a friend.

2) JB is not bigger than the program. He can’t leave whenever he wants. This needs to be managed. I’m not saying doing it disrespectfully, but he isn’t the only one to make the call.

3) He’s not a saint. None of us are. He’s played some kids that did some messed up stuff. He’s a coach that tries to win games. Point being, I’m not worshipping a god. He’s a man. Faults and all. He can be the bearer of some criticism, especially with the way he has talked about players in the media.

Again, appreciate your post. But JB doesn’t walk on water. He doesn’t get to make decisions with impunity.

Just my 0.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom