My Pre-season ACC power rankings | Syracusefan.com

My Pre-season ACC power rankings

Alsacs

Living Legend
IMO this how I would rank the teams. I am being objective as an SU fan. I don't think we will finish 12th, but that is where we belong until we show we have a decent QB.

1. Clemson- top 10 team with Tajh Boyd, but their season depends on their opener at home against Georgia
2. Florida State- top 25 team rebuilding replacing 11 NFL draft picks, but still has top 25 talent

Borderline top 25 teams
3. Miami- young team from last year Stephen Morris stud at QB, and this team was good at the end of last year and Duke Johnson is a stud RB. I think they will be a top 25 team.
4. North Carolina- they lost Gio Bernard, but they are a real good team, and I think can be a top 25 team, and will be interested in watching their season opener @South Carolina.

These teams have talent, but I am questioning whether they are top 25 teams
5. Virginia Tech- Logan Thomas is returning as a Senior QB, and he has a ton of potential, but needs to improve accuracy and composure. This team has talent on defense.
6. Georgia Tech- they didn't lose much from last year's roster, and Paul Johnson is on the hot seat.

These teams are interchangeable IMO
7. North Carolina State- David Doeren is inheriting a roster losing its QB, but NC State has decent talent on defense.
8. Pittsburgh- Paul Chryst has talent, but I have no clue.
9. Virginia- they have a hard schedule, and Mike London needs a decent year/bowl season to loosen the echoes calling for change.
10. Maryland- Edsall has talent, but they don't have a QB still, and I think they will struggle.
11. Wake Forest- Jim Grove is on the hot seat, and he needs to do better this year.
12. Syracuse- lost Nassib, Sales, Lemon, Marrone, Hackett. Until they prove they have a QB they are here, but have above average defense talent and running backs.
13. Duke- they lost Sean Renfree at QB, and Cutcliffe needs to show he can sustain Duke back to back years.
14. Boston College- Addazio is taking over a complete rebuild job and if he wins 2 ACC games next year I will be shocked. This program is devoid of playmakers and will need 2 years for him to get them back into the middle.

We are better than UVA, Maryland and WF regardless of our QB situation at the moment. Our running game and defense is superior to any of these three teams. And the fact that Pitt lost one of their best RB's, I think we beat them this year.

I would put us up with the Tech's as a starting point and probably group NC State in with that tier.

I would rate VaTech higher if they didn't have Logan Thomas back, he's just not a good QB. Terrible decision making and only had 2 games completing over 60% against Austin Peay and Duke. The other side of that coin is 5 games under 50% vs Pitt (45.2%), Bowling Green, BC, UVA, and Rutgers (38.5%).

For comparisons sake Nassib was 63.3% v Pitt and 59.5% v Rutgers.

If we had a solid QB I would put us ahead of NC State, but I don't know how good Drew Allen, Terrel Hunt, or Charlie Loeb are and whether they can play Division 1 quarterback effectively. If any of those three are average we easily make another bowl game, but I need to be objective.

I think Syracuse is top half. Clemson and FSU will be hard hit, we may not win, their kids will know Syracuse means business.

I want Syracuse to win every game they play, but I am also objective and realize that won't happen even though I will be angry when they lose. However, we lost a 3 year starting QB who played every snap last year except 2 last year 1 play against Rutgers and 1 play against West Virginia. We have a beyond a ?????? at QB next year if Allen or Hunt can play I would slot us 7th/8th with the ability to easily move up to the 4th-6th range, but we aren't there until our QB play is shown to be decent.

If we had a solid QB I would put us ahead of NC State, but I don't know how good Drew Allen, Terrel Hunt, or Charlie Loeb are and whether they can play Division 1 quarterback effectively. If any of those three are average we easily make another bowl game, but I need to be objective.

I'm with you but at the same time alot of teams are unproven at QB at this point (or proven bad in Va Tech's case) and lack the RB stable we have. Pretty much, our QB shouldn't have to pass as much to win games. Would be great if they can but our defense shouldn't put our QB in a position to need to make plays. If our O line is solid or better then our QB won't have the same type of pressure on them.

Of course I'm so optimistic it hurts (not that you aren't as well) so until we record a loss the glass is still 100% full over here.

be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg

Of course I'm so optimistic it hurts (not that you aren't as well) so until we record a loss the glass is still 100% full over here.

be-an-optimist-prime-4756-1283979887-3.jpg
If your going to use Transformers, you have to use this.
BTW, I know you realize I am not being negative. If Allen or Hunt can play QB we can go anywhere from 10-2 to 6-6 next year.

If your going to use Transformers, you have to use this.
BTW, I know you realize I am not being negative. If Allen or Hunt can play QB we can go anywhere from 13-0 to 10-3 to 6-6 next year.

Right with you brother (with a small amendment)

Respectfully: Unbiased = afraid to appear biased, discounting own teams strengths.

Pitt is unknown at QB, lost their best RB and lost to us last year. Our Defense and running game will make us better than VT, Wake, Maryland.

I have us at #7-#9 in the league. If Drew or Hunt can play, I have us behind the 1st tier.

Respectfully: Unbiased = afraid to appear biased, discounting own teams strengths.

Pitt is unknown at QB, lost their best RB and lost to us last year. Our Defense and running game will make us better than VT, Wake, Maryland.

I have us at #7-#9 in the league. If Drew or Hunt can play, I have us behind the 1st tier.
Again, I stated I don't think we will finish 12th, but I believe QB is the most important position, and we are completely unknown at that position. If we had Nassib next year we would be 2/3, but we have no signal callers who played more than 16 snaps in their career's and you want to put us ahead of schools with QBs. If Hunt/Drew come in and I see they are decent we will move up after week 1, but what is wrong with underrating us rather than overrating us?

Just because I rank Pitt above us to the start the season doesn't mean I think Pitt will beat us. Our defense is good and better than Wake and Maryland, but not Virginia Tech. VPI has out-recruited for us a while now and we don't have as much defensive talent as them.
If we make a bowl next year I will consider it a success, but I realize next year will be difficult without an experienced QB, but I think Smith, PTG, Morris are a great RB corp and if the OL is solid we will be able to run the ball to help the QB.

Just get to another bowl. Anything else is just gravy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A lot of the teams in BCS games last year didn't have passing QB's of note. It's not ideal but you can have a good season without a stud QB. If we have a QB that can complete ~55%, limit turnovers, and break contain and run for a couple first downs a game we'll be golden.

Let's not forget we have a decent to very good receiving corp. West will help make a rookie QB look better and gain confidence.

Our defense will be one of the top 3 or 4 (if not higher) defenses in the ACC. With any kind of production on offense we can easily finish in the top 5 of the conference.

12? good lord. our defense and offensive line alone will get us into the top half. this isn't the SEC West.

ACC is no BE!! I think this change will have a huge effect on the program, no matter what SU's talent level is. Once the ACC season starts one after another the teams SU plays are better and quicker than most BE teams(maybe except Pitt and WV) played in the recent past. 6-6 would be great, but with PSU and NW at the start and the ACC that goal will be hard to achieve for 2013. Down the road maybe not, but now it seems unlikely. SU will see SPEED, SPEED and more SPEED than ever before on both sides of the ball. Patience is needed here. But I can't wait to find out either way!!

Again, I stated I don't think we will finish 12th, but I believe QB is the most important position, and we are completely unknown at that position. If we had Nassib next year we would be 2/3, but we have no signal callers who played more than 16 snaps in their career's and you want to put us ahead of schools with QBs. If Hunt/Drew come in and I see they are decent we will move up after week 1, but what is wrong with underrating us rather than overrating us?

Just because I rank Pitt above us to the start the season doesn't mean I think Pitt will beat us. Our defense is good and better than Wake and Maryland, but not Virginia Tech. VPI has out-recruited for us a while now and we don't have as much defensive talent as them.
If we make a bowl next year I will consider it a success, but I realize next year will be difficult without an experienced QB, but I think Smith, PTG, Morris are a great RB corp and if the OL is solid we will be able to run the ball to help the QB.

It's fine - Pitt in particular, I just can't buy. They don't have a QB. They are in the same boat without any great RB - we have 2, probably 4.

I'm just tired of being underrated. All last season, AA at ESPN picked us last or had us second to last for 2/3 of the season.

12? good lord. our defense and offensive line alone will get us into the top half. this isn't the SEC West.

Where is our pass rush coming from?

And OLine is a weakness considering RT and the lack of depth. One or two injuries there and we're in deep doo doo.

I think NC State's QB situation is an even bigger question mark than ours. They also don't return the running game that we do. Their offense is really going to struggle, and that's probably going to weaken the defense at some point.

I can't confirm we'll be better than them, especially having to play them on the road. But on paper, I like us better.

You are right though, it is a pretty wide open league this year.

The thing to keep in mind too is that since we aren't playing everybody in the league we don't have to be better than all of those teams, we just have to be better than the teams on the schedule.

AA did her rankings and I am glad she gives SU more respect.

1. Clemson: The Tigers reinforced their spot atop the power rankings after a spring that featured the re-emergence of Sammy Watkins in the receiver group, and what appeared to be added growth of the front seven on defense. Questions remain in the secondary, but with Watkins and Tajh Boyd leading the way, the Tigers remain the favorites to win the ACC.

2. Florida State: There is no doubt the Seminoles have a lot of production to replace. But Jameis Winston looked like an emerging star this spring, there is depth at running back and the Noles should be dominant again on the offensive and defensive lines. A new aggressive defensive style has hopes high in Tallahassee that this team can reload rather than rebuild.

3. Miami: Stephen Morris and Duke Johnson looked fantastic throughout the spring, raising hopes that Miami can once again get itself back into the Top 25 and perhaps even make some noise nationally. Defense remains a concern, though with 20 starters returning on both sides of the ball, something should be said for having a more experienced team coming back.

4. North Carolina: The Tar Heels have found some answers for their holes on the offensive and defensive lines and believe they will be able to replace Giovani Bernard with the trio of A.J. Blue, Romar Morris and Khris Francis. The big key this spring was having a second season learning Larry Fedora's offense. With Bryn Renner back, the expectation is for this group to play even faster and score even more.

5. Georgia Tech: Vad Lee and Justin Thomas impressed coach Paul Johnson this spring, and so did the way the defense took to the new scheme coordinator Ted Roof has brought in. There is some major depth at the A-back and B-back positions as well, putting the Jackets in position to make another run at the ACC championship.

6 Virginia Tech: The Hokies might have been ranked higher on this list if their offense did not have such a letdown in the spring game. Questions still remain at every single position on that side of the ball, from Logan Thomas to the running backs to the receivers to the offensive line. The defense, however, should return to the form we have often seen out of Bud Foster-coached groups.

7. Wake Forest: The Deacs are a senior-laded team, and as such, they should be expected to make it back to a bowl game. Watch out for a more versatile offense and some more explosiveness out of Tanner Price, Michael Campanaro and Orville Reynolds. After the nightmarish injury bug that hit this team last season, everybody should be healthy and ready to go for fall practice.

183.gif
8. Syracuse: The Orange are still searching for candidates to replace several big-time players in Ryan Nassib and top receivers Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales. The quarterback competition continues, but the depth Syracuse has at running back will be tough to beat. The Orange should also be stingy on defense, with nose tackle Jay Bromley and linebackers Marquis Spruill and Dyshawn Davis returning.

9. Maryland: The Terps' running game took a major step forward this spring with the emergence of Brandon Ross as a dependable ball carrier, and quarterback C.J. Brown is expected to be cleared for full participation again this summer after tearing his ACL last year. The receivers should be a strength with Stefon Diggs and Deon Long, but can the defense hold its own?

10. Virginia: The tired storyline of a quarterback competition continues under Mike London, as Phillip Sims, David Watford and Greyson Lambert expect to learn who the starter will be in August. The running game remains a question, and the Cavaliers also have big shoes to fill at linebacker with the departure of leading tackler Steve Greer.

11. Pitt: It was a rough spring for the Panthers, who saw leading returning rusher Rushel Shell transfer and also had to dismiss three backups from the team. Tom Savage is leading the quarterback battle, but he's not a lock after Chad Voytik had an impressive spring game. Pitt also needs a second dependable receiver to emerge to help free up Devin Street.

12. Duke: Quarterback Anthony Boone drew high praise from those within the program as he took over the offense for the first time as the team's projected starter. There is plenty of talent returning on offense, but until proven otherwise, Duke's defense remains the weak link.

13. NC State: First-year coach Dave Doeren and his staff increased the tempo of the offense, and quarterback Pete Thomas got the most reps with the first team, but the competition with Manny Stocker continues. There is still a lot of work to do in Raleigh, as NC State has an entirely new coaching staff, new schemes and 12 starters to replace, including standout quarterback Mike Glennon.

14. Boston College: Nobody in the ACC has more work to do that first-year BC coach Steve Addazio, but he came out of the spring as enthusiastic as ever. Depth at all positions remains a concern, but particularly at running back. The good news is that veteran quarterback Chase Rettig returns, and he has a familiar face in former BC wide receivers coach Ryan Day, who is now the offensive coordinator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom