My Prediction: Jalen Carey | Syracusefan.com

My Prediction: Jalen Carey

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
My prediction, and you may hold this against me need be, is he shuts the door on our memories of the Kaleb Joseph miss. I do not expect he comes out looking like Flynn or Dion his sophomore year, but he was a great recruit from a gritty intriguing basketball backround coupled with visible AAU success.

I think he shows that he can be reliable this upcoming season as a scorer, a defender and a pace setting guard. What I’d like to see is improvement in facilitating and creating space. He has a good looking, smooth jump shot and despite his periodic ball handling issues he takes it to the hole and is capable of creative finishing. At worst, like Flynn, he seems to tend to take it to the core of the d and make them defend the shot (resulting in free throw opportunities and disrupting the oppositions interior).

We’ve forgotten what it is to allow a freshman to develop. I expect sighs of relief to come watching Italy and the first few weeks of the season.

Goodine and Girard are the future at guard, but I think Carey outworks them and earns the opportunity presented. Firm believer in this recruit and encouraged he’s been a worker in wait of his time.

My prediction, and you may hold this against me need be, is he shuts the door on our memories of the Kaleb Joseph miss. I do not expect he comes out looking like Flynn or Dion his sophomore year, but he was a great recruit from a gritty intriguing basketball backround coupled with visible AAU success.

I think he shows that he can be reliable this upcoming season as a scorer, a defender and a pace setting guard. What I’d like to see is improvement in facilitating and creating space. He has a good looking, smooth jump shot and despite his periodic ball handling issues he takes it to the hole and is capable of creative finishing. At worst, like Flynn, he seems to tend to take it to the core of the d and make them defend the shot (resulting in free throw opportunities and disrupting the oppositions interior).

We’ve forgotten what it is to allow a freshman to develop. I expect sighs of relief to come watching Italy and the first few weeks of the season.

Goodine and Girard are the future at guard, but I think Carey outworks them and earns the opportunity presented. Firm believer in this recruit and encouraged he’s been a worker in wait of his time.
And I am going way out on the limb and say Girard steps up big for us despite all our guard talent

I always like optimistic predictions about player development between freshman and sophomore year. There are are too many past examples to not realistically hope that a player will improve considerable in their second year, especially one as physically gifted as Carey. I'm with you on the facilitating and creating space argument. I think that the game will start to move much more slowly for him and he's going to feel much more comfortable out there. He'll be able to see opportunities to find his teammates and know when to drive. I didn't like the look of his jump shot this year, so I'm a bit more worried about that than you are.

Last edited:
Expectations often are high, but reality often can be different for a new player coming into JB's system. With others higher in the depth chart this past season and with limited PT that is predicated somewhat on good vs. bad play, Jalen's struggles were not unusual. With a season of practice and some actual game action in the books, I also believe Jason shows much improvement IF he gets enough PT (which he should) and if he is allowed to play thru inevitable mistakes so it doesn't get into his head too much.

We just need Jalen to be a serviceable, not great shooter from the 1 position, since Buddy, Girard, and Goodine can provide shooting power mainly from the 2. What we need is for Jalen to become more consistent in his strength, i.e., setting and pushing the pace, developing into a floor general, and distributing to the shooters. He will improve in these next year, with his junior year being full throttle if all goes well.

He does great if hes the 3rd guard.

Starting PG is too much next year though given where his game ended up once ACC play rolled around if we ask that of him it won't go well.

I think Girard and Buddy start and him and Goodine do well off the bench.

He does great if hes the 3rd guard.

Starting PG is too much next year though given where his game ended up once ACC play rolled around if we ask that of him it won't go well.

I think Girard and Buddy start and him and Goodine do well off the bench.

Im not sure how a freshman can be expected to handle ACC guards better than a moderately experienced sophomore. Girard’s coming from City Rocks, not too shabby, but aside from shooting threes and distributing he’d have to defend the top of the zone as well. Im not sure it’s reasonable to expect that the freshman going from aau/class B to p5 tournament teams

Im not sure how a freshman can be expected to handle ACC guards better than a moderately experienced sophomore. Girard’s coming from City Rocks, not too shabby, but aside from shooting threes and distributing he’d have to defend the top of the zone as well. Im not sure it’s reasonable to expect that the freshman going from aau/class B to p5 tournament teams
Tyler Ennis says hi

Tyler Ennis says hi

Are Jerami Grant, CJ Fair, Rak, BMK and Cooney waving Hi as well?

We didn’t, and don’t have that depth of veteran talent last year or this upcoming year.

Not to mention Tyler Ennis was a top 50 recruit.

Girard’s, albeit underrated, not the calibre recruit Ennis was (until proven otherwise) and isn’t walking into the same group of vets that’ve known nothing but winning.

Going from playing Lowville to Duke is an almost incomprehensible leap in level of competition.

I think he looks to have plenty of talent and potential, but there almost certainly will be a major adjustment period.

Going from playing Lowville to Duke is an almost incomprehensible leap in level of competition.

I think he looks to have plenty of talent and potential, but there almost certainly will be a major adjustment period.
No doubt, which is fine.

Are Jerami Grant, CJ Fair, Rak, BMK and Cooney waving Hi as well?

We didn’t, and don’t have that depth of veteran talent last year or this upcoming year.
Ah good point

I think a major area of work for Jalen is to slow down. Let the game come to him. He often would find trouble because he was going too fast and out of control, leading to charges or turnovers. He has the skills, just slow down kiddo.

I'd be really happy with 20-25 minutes per game, average 8 points, 4 assists and 2 turnovers, 1 steal per game. Shoot 32+% from three, 70+% from the line. He can do that. It's not unreasonable. I would take the over on the steals.

And I am going way out on the limb and say Girard steps up big for us despite all our guard talent

I think he will contribute, but I think he's the fourth guard. I don't think he's athletic enough yet or will play good enough defense against the ACC. He'll probably be pretty good against the non-conference schedule, though.

I agree with you.

The sophomore practiced against college kids for a year, and played in about 20 games or so. I'm not looking it up right now, but I would guess he probably got more than 200 minutes of game time, and he got pulled when he made mistakes.

So he knows what the coach wants him to do, and not to do. The freshman hasn't gone through that yet.

I hope Carey can gain better control of himself and play within himself a bit more. I think that Goodine can play point, but not for 40 minutes. If we can't trust Carey to be a major contributor, this team is going to struggle offensively.

I agree with you.

The sophomore practiced against college kids for a year, and played in about 20 games or so. I'm not looking it up right now, but I would guess he probably got more than 200 minutes of game time, and he got pulled when he made mistakes.

So he knows what the coach wants him to do, and not to do. The freshman hasn't gone through that yet.

I hope Carey can gain better control of himself and play within himself a bit more. I think that Goodine can play point, but not for 40 minutes. If we can't trust Carey to be a major contributor, this team is going to struggle offensively.
JB spoke positively of Carey as well. That has to mean something these days right?

I think he will contribute, but I think he's the fourth guard. I don't think he's athletic enough yet or will play good enough defense against the ACC. He'll probably be pretty good against the non-conference schedule, though.
I agree with your general assessment but there are guys who excel on savvy and always a step ahead and I believe joe is special. You don’t excel at football and basketball the way he did by just being 6 ft tall. It was brains and his will to achieve. He out played his opponents not by mistake or coincidence. He has the it factor.

I agree with your general assessment but there are guys who excel on savvy and always a step ahead and I believe joe is special. You don’t excel at football and basketball the way he did by just being 6 ft tall. It was brains and his will to achieve. He out played his opponents not by mistake or coincidence. He has the it factor.
Hope he does. The last time a freshman point guard from the sticks had the “it factor” it worked out pretty well for us

i think joe has the best chance to start. he has the handle and he has the shot. can he play enuf d and can he see the floor well enuf are the questions.

brycen has the most athleticism. he can also shoot. i think his athleticism should mean he can play d. would love to see him snag the spot, just think he is a bit rawer as compared to joe.

as for jalen, he just showed so little. he has the best d, but he showed no shot and little handle. i for one thought he had good speed, but not that elite speed, at least not with the ball.

i can see jimmy starting jalen early if jalen can cut his turnovers down, but he will have a long ways to go to hold the position.

i think joe has the best chance to start. he has the handle and he has the shot. can he play enuf d and can he see the floor well enuf are the questions.

brycen has the most athleticism. he can also shoot. i think his athleticism should mean he can play d. would love to see him snag the spot, just think he is a bit rawer as compared to joe.

as for jalen, he just showed so little. he has the best d, but he showed no shot and little handle. i for one thought he had good speed, but not that elite speed, at least not with the ball.

i can see jimmy starting jalen early if jalen can cut his turnovers down, but he will have a long ways to go to hold the position.
I don’t understand the notion that Carey has no shot. He put up 20 + vs uconn and oregon then unfortunately started getting the immediate hook treatment not allowing him to get in a rhythym ever again. I think he has a sweet mid range game from what ive seen with a serviceable perimeter game to build around. As long as he can draw a defender

Not to mention Tyler Ennis was a top 50 recruit.

Girard’s, albeit underrated, not the calibre recruit Ennis was (until proven otherwise) and isn’t walking into the same group of vets that’ve known nothing but winning.
Top 25 recruit. Rated much much higher than JG3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom