My Questions for tomorrow night's Dino Babers Show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tomorrow night's Dino Babers Show

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Free Radio Online | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

1st Segment Question

“Coach, In your first game against Clemson, we got blown out 0-54. But in every game since we’ve been in the game at least into the third quarter, three of them going right down to the end and we won one. We’ve also beaten Louisville once, when the Bobby Petrino era was ending and we had our best team of this century. The others have all been blow-outs where we just couldn’t stop them and they took control of the game early. Why are we able to compete more successfully against Clemson than against Louisville?”

2nd Segment Question

“Coach, I brought this up earlier in the season but I’ll ask it again because it’s making less and less sense. From 2018-2020 we had 80 takeaways. Even the 1-10 team of 2020 had 24 of them. I this year’s team had 24 takeaways we’d have been bowl eligible a long time ago. We have highest ranked defense we’ve had in 11 years. We have the same number of sacks, (34 in 10 games) as Georgia and Alabama and 5 defensive backs. Yet we have 6 takeaways, none in the last 4 games. You cited the loss of three defensive backs to the NFL but those three guys had just 3 of our 24 takeaways last year. Our secondary is young but they’ve now played 10 games. Fans have come up with other theories: Sacks prevent passes and so they actually reduce turnovers. Our concentration this year has bene on making clean tackles so we aren’t trying to strip the ball as much. What do you see as you look at the film? Why can’t we take the ball away from the other team?”

I want to know...did the flu bug run through the team last week? What was the explanation in coming out so flat with so much on the line? I sure as hell hope everyone felt under the weather because that was inexcusable.

DB what are your thoughts on players being able to enter the transfer portal during the season? Should a change be made?

DB what are your thoughts on players being able to enter the transfer portal during the season? Should a change be made?

How do you prevent it? Surely being on a team and even being at the school is voluntary.

How do you prevent it? Surely being on a team and even being at the school is voluntary.
Not let kids enter the portal from Aug 1st through December 1st. They can still leave the team but not put their name into the portal during that time period. Would stop a lot of kids bailing during the season to get a jump on the portal.

Not let kids enter the portal from Aug 1st through December 1st. They can still leave the team but not put their name into the portal during that time period. Would stop a lot of kids bailing during the season to get a jump on the portal.

Or make them lose their scholarship immediately and they have to pay the fall semesters tuition.

I give props for Taj for staying at Cuse and finishing at least this semester before going off to UK but kind of unfair that his schooling is getting paid for being on the football team and he’s not actually on the football team.

In 2018 we had an offense.
Which team was ranked higher at the end of the season?

P.S. I don’t actually have much respect for the polls. My only real point is that you stated something as fact that is certainly debatable. I’m sure Coach Babers agrees with you though.

In 2018 we had an offense.

In terms of how they were playing at the end of the season, there’s a good case for 2001, 2012 or 2018. All 3 were playing at a Top 20 level. Which one was the best, I’ll leave to the scholars.

That there were only 3 such teams this century and it’s 2021 is very depressing.

he'll talk turkey. and by turkey i mean THE FAMILY all gathering around the table and there's "only so many turkey legs" "somebody has to make the gravy" "it's either stuffing or mashed from here on out " that sorta homey BS he spins weekly to cover the crappy meal we've been served . but hey a bowl game would be a slice of pumpkin pie ! let's see if he delivers or drops the bird again..

Which team was ranked higher at the end of the season?

P.S. I don’t actually have much respect for the polls. My only real point is that you stated something as fact that is certainly debatable. I’m sure Coach Babers agrees with you though.

It certainly is debatable. My statement was of course, my opinion. I think I'll set it up as a poll.

The 2001 team wound up #14 in both polls, 2018 #15. 2001 didn't make the BCS ranking, which was only a top 15 while 2018 was #20 per the playoff committee. of course the meaning of those rankings depends on your evaluation of the teams above them.

Statistically the teams look like this:
(2001 is first, then 2018)

Offense
Rushing 175 - 199
Passing 155 - 265
Total 329 - 464
3rd/4th down 41% - 41%
Sacks 25 - 37
TFLs 117 - 87
Turnovers 15 -16
Scoring 26 - 40

Defense
Rushing 170 - 162.5
Passing 189 - 264
Total 359 - 427
3rd/4th down 29% - 30%
Sacks 40 - 43
TFLs 116 - 96
Takeovers 30 -31
Scoring 20 - 27

2018's offense was clearly better. We actually got out-gained in 2001 by 30 yards per game. We actually gave up more RFLs than Freeney & company got that year. 2018 had a weakness in pass defense. but I don't think RJ Anderson was the one to take advantage of it. 2018 did give up more sacks and Dwight could have had a field day. But Dungey was a resourceful quarterback and would not have bene intimidated.

In terms of how they were playing at the end of the season, there’s a good case for 2001, 2012 or 2018. All 3 were playing at a Top 20 level. Which one was the best, I’ll leave to the scholars.

That there were only 3 such teams this century and it’s 2021 is very depressing.

Interesting point. Can an 8-5 team be better than a 10-3 team. Certainly by the end of the season 2012 would have given 2001 or 2018 quite a battle. (Unfortunately I'd already set up the poll before I read this.)

We actually got out-gained in 2001 by 30 yards per game.
I suspect the Miami game impacted those numbers significantly. I’m not saying the game shouldn’t be counted. The 2018 faired better in their “big game” than the 2001 team, although I believe 2001 Miami was better than 2018 Clemson. I suppose that is debatable too.

“I’ll tell ya, practice yesterday was spooky, man. We’ve got a lot of cats out there that have got owwies and that’s slowing us down. It was real interesting, man”

Throw in a quote from Rocky and this is gold.

well no turkey talk but dino did drop a stew and potatoes analogy . sumptin about talking time...

Last edited:
“I’ll tell ya, practice yesterday was spooky, man. We’ve got a lot of cats out there that have got owwies and that’s slowing us down. It was real interesting, man”
Oh come on. making excuses already? I am growing sick of his rhetoric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom