My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers Show- before Clemson | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers Show- before Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Free Radio Online | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments

First segment question:

“Coach, you’ve given us an exciting team to root for, one that’s strong on both offense and defense. Maximus would say “Are you not entertained?” Critics have to find something else to complain about and punting is boring, so they have focused on your in-game decisions – when they don’t work.

A focal point has been your decision to take the holding penalty at the end of the half against Wake Forest. You’ve already explained your thinking on that one. Could you explain the defense you used on the subsequent 3rd and 23 play? It looked like a three-man rush with one guy to spy on the quarterback behind them and the other 7 defenders were all beyond the sticks, which made it an easy completion.”

Second segment question:

“Coach, we’ve got a great 1-2 punch in the running game with Sean Tucker and Garrett Shrader. Ben Schwartzwalder would have loved their two-man game, which resembles his old ‘sissors’ play, which involved the quarterback faking to one back and handing off to another who hits the other side of the line.

On short yardage we are often in the shotgun formation, which means the hand-off would take place 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Isn’t it better to be under center and get going forward immediately? With those two, we’d be hard to stop.”

Was it an easy completion? My recollection is that it took an uber-athletic play by the receiver to make the catch.

glad you're not lobbing in your usual softballs.

5708f2ccd1e9230e6bae53372f016ac8.jpg

brush him back.

I'll go with a reference to lions and tigers attacking the gladiators and they just kept on fighting together in response to your first question.

Being under center arguably makes it harder to run. Most of our run game is the read option. Fake handoff to tucker then schrader pulling the ball. Being under center get rid of that. Being under center tends to stack the box, making it harder to find running lanes.

glad you're not lobbing in your usual softballs.

5708f2ccd1e9230e6bae53372f016ac8.jpg

brush him back.

It's not a cross-examination. I saw his mood at the news conference. There's nothing coaches hate more than having their judgements questioned. I decided to say something positive, (not false: positive), before hitting him with the question. I feel that I'll get a better, less defensive response that way.

I believe dino might need a brushback pitch. let's hope he doesn't charge the mound mr. chinwhiskers

..with nobody challenging the catch. He did leap to get it as it was ahigh throw.

Go to 4:30:

Yes. Not contested and not "uber" athletic. Just a really nice catch.

Being under center arguably makes it harder to run. Most of our run game is the read option. Fake handoff to tucker then schrader pulling the ball. Being under center get rid of that. Being under center tends to stack the box, making it harder to find running lanes.

They are going be stacked at 3rd or 4th and one anyway. I don't see why being under center eliminates the fake handoff.

Check out the scissors play and subsequent drive that begins at 1:52:

They are going be stacked at 3rd or 4th and one anyway. I don't see why being under center eliminates the fake handoff.

A thing of beauty! Ben was an innovator!

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to Free Radio Online | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments

First segment question:

“Coach, you’ve given us an exciting team to root for, one that’s strong on both offense and defense. Maximus would say “Are you not entertained?” Critics have to find something else to complain about and punting is boring, so they have focused on your in-game decisions – when they don’t work.

A focal point has been your decision to take the holding penalty at the end of the half against Wake Forest. You’ve already explained your thinking on that one. Could you explain the defense you used on the subsequent 3rd and 23 play? It looked like a three-man rush with one guy to spy on the quarterback behind them and the other 7 defenders were all beyond the sticks, which made it an easy completion.”

Second segment question:

“Coach, we’ve got a great 1-2 punch in the running game with Sean Tucker and Garrett Shrader. Ben Schwartzwalder would have loved their two-man game, which resembles his old ‘sissors’ play, which involved the quarterback faking to one back and handing off to another who hits the other side of the line.

On short yardage we are often in the shotgun formation, which means the hand-off would take place 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Isn’t it better to be under center and get going forward immediately? With those two, we’d be hard to stop.”
There were 4 guys rushing on the play after accepting the penalty after watching again.

I'll go with a reference to lions and tigers attacking the gladiators and they just kept on fighting together in response to your first question.
i'm confused. the lions and tigers are fighting together ?

I believe dino might need a brushback pitch. let's hope he doesn't charge the mound mr. chinwhiskers

There were 4 guys rushing on the play after accepting the penalty after watching again.

3 guys were rushing. One guy hung back in case the QB scrambled. The other 7 guys were 25+ yards downfield on 3rd and 23.

Last edited:
i've called in numerous times over the years but now that i think of it i don't believe i've ever talked live to dino.

Because you cannot run a read option QB run from under center. You have to read the DE, if he goes for the RB, Schrader pulls the ball and runs outside. If he looks like he's going after the QB, handoff to Schrader. Its 90% of Schraders designed runs

Because you cannot run a read option QB run from under center. You have to read the DE, if he goes for the RB, Schrader pulls the ball and runs outside. If he looks like he's going after the QB, handoff to Schrader. Its 90% of Schraders designed runs
If it's 4th and 1or 2, you shouldn'tbe running a read option, just get Shrader under center. Let him decide where he is going to plant his foot and drive forward.

I think he was asking DB for his input but thanks for covering for him. ;)

But you can hand off or run a QB sneak that way and you won't have to run 5 yards before you can gain anything. it doesn't have to be a 'read option'.

And what is Dave Sarette, (#23) doing at 2:40?

i've called in numerous times over the years but now that i think of it i don't believe i've ever talked live to dino.

There's a first time for everything...:rolleyes:

But you can hand off or run a QB sneak that way and you won't have to run 5 yards before you can gain anything. it doesn't have to be a 'read option'.

And what is Dave Sarette, (#23) doing at 2:40?
And you don't give the defense time to react if you are under center. The QB gets to chose where he goes, and doesn't have to take steps to get back to the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom