My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers Show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Dino Babers Show

SWC75

Bored Historian

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: The Twitter account seems to have closed.)
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

“Coach, two questions:

I’ve always heard that punt returners with their backs against the goal line are told to stand at the 10 yards line and let the ball go if they’d have to step back to catch it. We had fair catches at the SU 8, 5 and 7. What do our punt returners get told?

We had the ball at the Florida State 1, 2nd down with 37 seconds and two time outs left and let the clock run out. We hadn’t scored a touchdowns in either of the last wo games. The kids, mostly second teamers, had driven 64 yards in 8 plays, all on the ground to get there. How did the players react to not being given a chance to score there and could they have called a time-out themselves to give them a chance?“

Last edited:
Are they taking questions from twitter? I’d like to ask him if he’s considering having the ball after halftime if we win the toss but I doubt he would answer that.

I am anxious to hear DBs answers, especially to that 2nd question. there is moronic use or non-use of timeouts which we have seen too often, but that situation was a disrespectful non-use of a timeout

Are they taking questions from twitter? I’d like to ask him if he’s considering having the ball after halftime if we win the toss but I doubt he would answer that.
he won't but you might get a movie reference or a rhino or hippo reference out of it

Last edited:
I am anxious to hear DBs answers, especially to that 2nd question. there is moronic use or non-use of timeouts which we have seen too often, but that situation was a disrespectful non-use of a timeout

I’ve gone back and forth on the TO. In the end, while I’m not hard over one way or another, I didn’t really have a problem not taking the TO. I looked at it from the other side. I think if our opponent took a TO to score a meaningless TD with seconds left, I’d be annoyed. I’ve seen plenty of times where a team even just takes a knee.

I’ve gone back and forth on the TO. In the end, while I’m not hard over one way or another, I didn’t really have a problem not taking the TO. I looked at it from the other side. I think if our opponent took a TO to score a meaningless TD with seconds left, I’d be annoyed. I’ve seen plenty of times where a team even just takes a knee.

Usually when they are ahead and can remember when they last scored a touchdown.

Yeah, it's the metaphorical equivalent of a chess master laying down his queen and maintaining some class and dignity. Like you I have no problem either way with the decision. It certainly wasn't the worst part of last Saturday...

We did kick that FG against ND in 2018. Maybe being shutout is what kicks in Dino's ego.

TDs like that, while meaningless to us, are meaningful to the 2nd team kids.

Usually the team that's winning takes the knee, at least from what I recall.

If FSU did that up 38-3 so they could run it up, that is one thing, but when you are on the other side of it and just want something positive, especially for the backups playing hard on the drive, I think they should have taken a TO

If FSU did that up 38-3 so they could run it up, that is one thing, but when you are on the other side of it and just want something positive, especially for the backups playing hard on the drive, I think they should have taken a TO

Yea, I didn’t consider who’s winning or losing. But let me ask a question. If we had called TO to try and score, would you have been upset if FSU then put their starters back in?

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 90 minutes, with the first hour being with Dino and the last half hour being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: The Twitter account seems to have closed.)

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

“Coach, two questions:

I’ve always heard that punt returners with their backs against the goal line are told to stand at the 10 yards line and let the ball go if they’d have to step back to catch it. We had fair catches at the SU 8, 5 and 7. What do our punt returners get told?

We had the ball at the Florida State 1, 2nd down with 37 seconds and two time outs left and let the clock run out. We hadn’t scored a touchdowns in either of the last wo games. The kids, mostly second teamers, had driven 64 yards in 8 plays, all on the ground to get there. How did the players react to not being given a chance to score there and could they have called a time-out themselves to give them a chance?“
Love these. May the force be with you.

Yea, I didn’t consider who’s winning or losing. But let me ask a question. If we had called TO to try and score, would you have been upset if FSU then put their starters back in?

Personally, I wouldn't have been. But I think it would have been stupid of them.

upset? no. it would have just been really weird and dumb.

Why would they? They took them out before we did. Besides there'd be about 5 seconds left, anyway. Steve, love the 2nd question. Now I can ask him a different question.

“Coach, two questions:

Great questions!

Babers is moronic to always want to take the ball to start game. Just dumn assed. Always better to start second half with the ball. I was floored to learn that he was winning toss and electing to receive. The opposing coaches must be delighted to have a true buffoon on the other side line. Clown show 4 sure.

Babers is moronic to always want to take the ball to start game. Just dumn assed. Always better to start second half with the ball. I was floored to learn that he was winning toss and electing to receive. The opposing coaches must be delighted to have a true buffoon on the other side line. Clown show 4 sure.

How many times has that happened?

I feel like we lose the toss more often than not and the other team defers.

Add coin toss selection to the laundry list of things we need to fix.

Disagree with him all you like but don’t question the man’s intelligence. He has already forgotten more about ball than everyone in this thread combined will ever know.

Before shraders injury, how many times did we score on that first possession in those first 6 games? How do you know it was a Babers idea? Maybe it’s Anae’s? How much did we do that before Anae and Beck got here?

They wouldn’t risk injuries to their starter up 40 points just to stop our backups from scoring against their backups.

He’s eager to get our first 3 and out on offense. Just another dumb Dino game day management.

Louisville wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

UConn wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Syracuse wins toss and will receive; (Purdue)

Virginia wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Syracuse wins toss and will receive; (Wagner)

NC State wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Clemson wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Notre Dame wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Pitt wins toss and defers; SYR will receive;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online