My Questions for Tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for Tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

The early shows tend to be in a one hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Segment Question:

“Coach, Buddy faced the most aggressive defensive pressure I’ve seen against Florida State and couldn’t get open shots. Villanova seemed to play us more straight-up and Buddy got a lot of good looks but was as far off as I’ve seen him. Is there an after-effect of being guarded aggressively? Do players, when they get open shots, lose some of their poise or their mechanics?”

2nd Segment Question:

“Coach, against Villanova, we hit more two point shots and more free throws and a higher percentage of our three point shots, yet we lost because they attempted 50 three point shot and we only attempted 15. Even with the lower percentage, they made 8 more three pointers than we did. The offensive rebounds allowed them to attempt 21 more shots but are we looking for the three pointer enough? When we get the ball into the paint, we always seem to be looking to score from there, rather than pass it back out for the three.”

Might have to start live blogging this again, not sure were gonna get the fireworks we got last year with everybody back in person and no runner. That first call about Jimmy playing 35+ min or why they grabbed 2 rebounds combined in nearly 75 mins combined should be a doozy.

Coach show started at 7, listened on and off for the first 20 minutes or so but wasn't able to update. Lots of talk about the Nova game. Jessie missing multiple layups was talked about and his struggle at the line. Talked about Buddy and that he's not goign to have an easy games anymore but has to keep shooting. Mentioned Klay Thompson and stated that Buddy's evolved into more then a shooter, if he hadn't "he wouldn't be scoring at all". Talked that Buddy and Swider are in a new system (one of them is, I think he meant together) and that they will improve.

Lots talk about the zone about how its more then just a 2-3, sometimes they cheat Jessie and it's essentially a 3-2 when they do that. Talked more about the straight 2-3 and noted that "their trying not to give up 3's but were not there yet".

Matt Park brought up G-town and the dude who went off on from 3 yesterday. JB noted that he did it vs Man to Man but that he can hit them. Said Georgetown started out slow but is playing better.

More talk about G-town and a sizzle real that Fox is running tonight for the game. JB talks about the rivalry and history, says its on the same level or was as Duke vs UNC, great atmospheres there were "so loud".

John in Liverpool called in with a god awful echo and immediately asks a golf question that no one cares about. JB answers and says he beats his kids everytime but that Jimmy and Buddy hit it a lot farther, shots 41 or so for 9 holes. Can't shoot his age, says he only played 18 a few times this year. Says its relaxing to play 9 holes at night with no one around. (answer is dragging on and on.....) Says Jimmy can hit it 320 and talks about different clubs and how far he can hit it. Gerry is the best player on the staff, Park asked who was the best. Matt then talks about playing with Griffin, again dragging on and on. JB says Griff claims he made a hole in one, doesn't believe him.

Back from commercial, Park talks about Saturday and JB audibly yawns or moans.

Jessie form somewhere calls in, again bad audio. Says he looks up to JB and goes into some speel about just having 2 kids and asks JB how he introduced bball to his kids. (Who the hell is screening these calls). JB recommends the fisher price hoop and says Julie did it for Jimmy and Buddy, Jessie says he got it a week ago, (then why ask). JB goes into an explanation on the "tike basket" and some stuff with the boys growing up. Says that he believes in the 10,000 hour work schedule, says the work will pay off. He never envisioned his kids would be this good but the more time in the gym the better but they have to "want it". They finally hang up on Jessie.

Talked about Elijah Hughes and that he can play but isn't in the right spot right now, to many guys in his position at the NBA level. Says same thing happened with Oshae until he got to Indiana. Hughes has played 5 games averaging 19 pts in 31 minutes. for the Jazz G-league team.

Another commercial break, tons of 1-2 min or so breaks. Terrestrial Radio blows.

Last edited:
Back from commercial, again. Nick from Fort Myers, Florida calls in, notes he's a fan for 30 years, goes into some odd story about Fort Myers having a tournament during Thanksgiving and wants to know if SU will play in it at some point. JB essentially blows him off and Park actually does something and hustles the guy off. They need a new screener on these calls......

Some talk about MSG and Park brings up the Texas Tech game yesterday and no one being there (again no idea why) and they talk about MSG and Barclays, off to yet another commercial.

Back again, notes there at Carrabas for the 712th time. JB again with an odd sighing noise when Park is talking about the quick turnaround from yesterday to G-town at Noon on Sat. JB clearly ready to leave.

Park says that everything until he end of the year is nothing SU hasn't seen before. JB says its been daunting and that the team is getting better and thats all he can do at this point.

Park mentions win at FSU, JB notes its a good start and that with the Non conf struggles that was a big one to get. Talked more about the schedule and playing non-conf tournaments and playing Indiana. Updates Seton Hall score vs Texas.

Park gives a shoutout to the womens bball team, JB says there playing really well and doing a great job. Park talks about their almost being a quadruple double in the game.

Talks more about Rice from G-town and G-towns prior schedule and several of the losses. JB says there playing better now and we have to get ready for that. Mentioned Mutombo's son in the middle (clearly killing time at this point). Park asks a question about the schedule and signing a long term deal with G-town but JB brushes him off.

Talked about Indiana blowing the game yesterday, JB says they couldn't get Davis the ball enough. In the middle of his explanation the fight song starts up and starts drowning him out, Park wraps it up and JB says something in response but you can't hear it over the song, Park then notes they will be their next Thursday to talk bball with you!

Thanks for the recap Jeremy. Sounds like we need Pat to call in and spice things up again. Better yet, who was the poster last year that kept urging people to call in and ask his questions for him because he was too scared to call himself?

Thanks for the recap Jeremy. Sounds like we need Pat to call in and spice things up again. Better yet, who was the poster last year that kept urging people to call in and ask his questions for him because he was too scared to call himself?

That was Cuserunner, he has been banned permanency fortunately/unfortunately.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts

The early shows tend to be in a one hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. If they go back to the 2 hour format, I may split it up between the items directly related to the team, which I will post that night and the other stuff, which I will post the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Segment Question:

“Coach, Buddy faced the most aggressive defensive pressure I’ve seen against Florida State and couldn’t get open shots. Villanova seemed to play us more straight-up and Buddy got a lot of good looks but was as far off as I’ve seen him. Is there an after-effect of being guarded aggressively? Do players, when they get open shots, lose some of their poise or their mechanics?”

2nd Segment Question:

“Coach, against Villanova, we hit more two point shots and more free throws and a higher percentage of our three point shots, yet we lost because they attempted 50 three point shot and we only attempted 15. Even with the lower percentage, they made 8 more three pointers than we did. The offensive rebounds allowed them to attempt 21 more shots but are we looking for the three pointer enough? When we get the ball into the paint, we always seem to be looking to score from there, rather than pass it back out for the three.”

I like the second question.

I would tweak it to say "Should we take more threes, and if so, how drastically (if at all) must our schemes change to achieve this"

Two bad ideas.

Back again, notes there at Carrabas for the 712th time. JB again with an odd sighing noise when Park is talking about the quick turnaround from yesterday to G-town at Noon on Sat. JB clearly ready to leave.

Park says that everything until he end of the year is nothing SU hasn't seen before. JB says its been daunting and that the team is getting better and thats all he can do at this point.

Park mentions win at FSU, JB notes its a good start and that with the Non conf struggles that was a big one to get. Talked more about the schedule and playing non-conf tournaments and playing Indiana. Updates Seton Hall score vs Texas.

Park gives a shoutout to the womens bball team, JB says there playing really well and doing a great job. Park talks about their almost being a quadruple double in the game.

Talks more about Rice from G-town and G-towns prior schedule and several of the losses. JB says there playing better now and we have to get ready for that. Mentioned Mutombo's son in the middle (clearly killing time at this point). Park asks a question about the schedule and signing a long term deal with G-town but JB brushes him off.

Talked about Indiana blowing the game yesterday, JB says they couldn't get Davis the ball enough. In the middle of his explanation the fight song starts up and starts drowning him out, Park wraps it up and JB says something in response but you can't hear it over the song, Park then notes they will be their next Thursday to talk bball with you!

Thanks Jeremy. Through all those posts I didn’t learn a damn thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom