My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show | Syracusefan.com

My Questions for tonight's Jim Boeheim Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, Fran Fraschilla did the color commentary for the Illinois game and he said a couple of things I’d like to get your reaction to:

- He said, as Illinois pulled away, that this game was a game between two rebuilding teams, one of whom rebuilt with the transfer portal and one of whom rebuilt with freshmen.
- He also said that you had told him that “If I was 50, I’d be in the NBA right now”, due to the state of college basketball.”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, how did Joe Girard go from scoring 31 points against Richmond to going 2 for 25 in his next three games? I know he was 8 for 13 inside the arc in the 31 point game, 2 for 11 since.”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

I am appreciative of your questions and show summaries.
But I suggest that the next question anyone asks the coach can be a lot simpler:

When?
Contact info for the show is in his post. Give them a call with your question.

If JB did actually make that statement about wishing he had left for the NBA coach when he was 50 - bet he really didn’t meant it, doubt he’d ever want to give up that National Championship here when he was 58. I’m sure glad he didn’t go then. He also would have made much more money in the NBA after -than before his championship year. I also bet Fran won’t be getting another dinner interview anytime soon regardless.

If JB did actually make that statement about wishing he had left for the NBA coach when he was 50 - bet he really didn’t meant it, doubt he’d ever want to give up that National Championship here when he was 58. I’m sure glad he didn’t go then. He also would have made much more money in the NBA after -than before his championship year. I also bet Fran won’t be getting another dinner interview anytime soon regardless.

I have a lot nitpicks with JB, but this isn't one of them. I think he's just saying this as a generality, not about willing to give up his chip.

I can see if he were 50 now considering making a jump if it were offered.

NIL and national recruiting and portal makes it like free agency in college, but without a GM, POBO, full front office staff, etc. Go to the NBA, get hired by a team that has their star at the same agency as he would be at and that he likes the GM/POBO.

Whether he'd actually do this, I don't know. We're talking a guy that has basically cultivated his kingdom in a 100 mile radius and who knows if his coaching style would work in the NBA, but you never know.

It's funny, I actually could see him getting along really well with KD.

I will take a crack to answer them to see how close I get lol.
“Coach, Fran Fraschilla did the color commentary for the Illinois game and he said a couple of things I’d like to get your reaction to:

- He said, as Illinois pulled away, that this game was a game between two rebuilding teams, one of whom rebuilt with the transfer portal and one of whom rebuilt with freshmen.
- He also said that you had told him that “If I was 50, I’d be in the NBA right now”, due to the state of college basketball.”
Predicted response: "Fran is an idiot and a disloyal person, next!"

“Coach, how did Joe Girard go from scoring 31 points against Richmond to going 2 for 25 in his next three games? I know he was 8 for 13 inside the arc in the 31 point game, 2 for 11 since.”
Predicted response: "You should go ask Joe. He is a senior and he should know what he has to do or he shouldn't be playing. If I had anyone better he wouldn't be playing a minute".

I have a lot nitpicks with JB, but this isn't one of them. I think he's just saying this as a generality, not about willing to give up his chip.

I can see if he were 50 now considering making a jump if it were offered.

NIL and national recruiting and portal makes it like free agency in college, but without a GM, POBO, full front office staff, etc. Go to the NBA, get hired by a team that has their star at the same agency as he would be at and that he likes the GM/POBO.

Whether he'd actually do this, I don't know. We're talking a guy that has basically cultivated his kingdom in a 100 mile radius and who knows if his coaching style would work in the NBA, but you never know.

It's funny, I actually could see him getting along really well with KD.
I’m really not nitpicking at all. As I said, I doubt he meant it specifically but maybe he really does wonder ‘what if’ he had taken a shot at the NBA at some point - I would think and hope he meant sometime after the ‘ship especially knowing the new changes coming down the pike. I agree and think navigating this new NIL, transfer portal is a difficult change to adapt to, especially for older coaches who enjoyed developing young players, rewarding loyalty and progress over time within their own system rather than a plug n play system peppered with outside monetary rewards as a lure. The power of boosters isn’t decreasing but actually increasing under this new system. It will take a few years for all the effects of these changes to really shake out. I also think the inherent favoritism within the NCAA enforcement system for decades towards certain programs vs others has to take it’s toll especially looking back through time. I wouldn’t have bet against JB’s success if he had taken the NBA route either.

JB addressed the transfers vs. freshmen and the Joe Girard issue on Orange Nation today:

(go to the 1:06 mark)

I'll still ask my questions, though, in a modified form.

Last edited:
I will take a crack to answer them to see how close I get lol.

Predicted response: "Fran is an idiot and a disloyal person, next!"

Predicted response: "You should go ask Joe. He is a senior and he should know what he has to do or he shouldn't be playing. If I had anyone better he wouldn't be playing a minute".

See the link above. That's very far from what he said.

JB sounds so tired, depressed and defeated on his talk show. I can’t imagine that he has the energy at his age to be a successful recruiter and or the ability to connect ( texting, instagram etc) with the young teenagers he is attempting to sway to SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom