My Story about how the NCAA are crooks

sorry forget that i post the link not the story

Tyler's missery
The NCAA Is a Bunch of Crooks
February 28, 2018

|

Tyler Marona

That logo is the whole reason why players are forgotten about. The NCAA does not wants its employees (players) to have a name or face. The reason why I am writing this is because DeAndre Ayton got paid 100k to play for U of Arizona. I think that it is crazy that we could not get paid.

I do say we, because I did play for the NCAA. There is no other company in America that says "F*** them" besides the NCAA. It is the only place that everyone hates them. Even the worst of companies have someone that likes it. Johnny Manziel was an electric college football player. He got $0 for playing for them. He single handily saved their program. Yet nothing for him. The NCAA wants to use you, exploit you, and forget about you.

They are a bunch of crooks. They steal from the players likeness. They steal money out of the players mouth. My tutor could not give me a ride back to my apartment at Cuse cause it was a violation. We could not accept free drinks, food, or help because the NCAA sees it as unfair. In any other world, or profession does that take place. Dave Portnoy President of Barstool Sports went to U of Michigan. He gets free Michigan gear all the time. If it were to be in the inverse it would be heresy.

For the athletes it is common occurrence. I waited my whole life to be on National Television. Although, that never happened the ACC made 25 million per YEAR, on my best friend Michael Lasker for playing. Stupid. Nike gave Syracuse the biggest deal on the east coast. Worth probably over over 25M. Which is all well and good. But where does that go? Actually... I know, the school, the NCAA, and TV.

People want to say it goes to our scholarships. A school does not feel the hit that a scholarship presents. I mean even at Syracuse. Our scholarships were worth 60k. Yet we brought in as a team over 500 million??? Where does the math add up?

We got scolded constantly for having to much free stuff. Yes we got free drinks. Yes Mike Lasker and I got a free meal at Outback Steakhouse. Yes we are liked on campus. Sports are a way to build a bridge between the tough lives that we had to live, and everyone else. Bill Burr said on his podcast, the Monday Morning Podcast, "no one in the right mind would ever go fill a stadium to see someone look through microscope." That is the truth of it. Mikhail Marinovich risked his whole well being to play his finally game. (Click to listen)

For being the talk of the town we got nothing besides a couple hugs. Yeah hugs are cool. But is that enough to risk our health and future on you. My concussion symptoms still plague my daily. I did not sign up for that. I heard two old guys once talking on campus about how much they loved us. They said that they would not trade our success for anything. All I got out of that was a free set of clothes and a visor. A visor that I love but still only a visor.

The NCAA will never change. It is to big too strong to change. But should its employees have to suffer at the hand of the oppressive boss. We deserve the chance to see what we are making and benefit off of it. And ultimately profit from it.

jgeorge322

All American
Im not impressed by this article. Ny is an employment at will state. So, if youre an employee, then quit and go play somewhere else that will pay you (yes i know there isnt one). Its called capitalism. Also, calling the ncaa crooks is p***** s***. Man up and call your alma mater crooks.

texascpa

Hall of Fame
Tyler, first, you need to edit your article. Too many spelling and grammatical errors. Second, why did you play if you felt this way? No one would/should continue to work for an employer if they felt underappreciated or underpaid. I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear from you why you kept playing.

As a former college athlete, I have to say I firmly disagree with this post. I realize that if not for my athletic scholarship, I would most likely be working a factory job or construction-nothing wrong with these jobs- instead of being able to work my dream job. YES, we are almost slaves to the program, but come on, you are working 4 or 5 years for 200000$. Athletes don't deserve another penny in my opinion. Not one cent.

I respect his opinion. You don't know what the players go through. He does.

If you take all 130 fbs teams, each player brings in an average of about $1.6 mil over 4 years. A Texas player brings over $5 million. If any one of you could earn $5 mil for your employer, you'd be asking why you weren't worth more than 60k a year, and you'd promptly find more acceptable compensation. It's a valid opinion. I think the $$ should go to other sports, but I also can't argue this. It's pretty messed up that athletes are bringing $100+ million a year to their schools. Kids just wanna play. School just wants the $$$ . It's a reasonable discussion.

As a former college athlete, I have to say I firmly disagree with this post. I realize that if not for my athletic scholarship, I would most likely be working a factory job or construction-nothing wrong with these jobs- instead of being able to work my dream job. YES, we are almost slaves to the program, but come on, you are working 4 or 5 years for 200000$. Athletes don't deserve another penny in my opinion. Not one cent.
Y'all realize he got a massive concussion to end his carreer? No disrespect shaggy. Football is a massive injury sport. Yeah, they sign up for it. But I can't believe it's easy for a kid that destroyed his knees(etc.) watching the school making a couple mil off it . The model will eventually fold.

maxxyz

2nd String
I respect his opinion. You don't know what the players go through. He does.

If you take all 130 fbs teams, each player brings in an average of about $1.6 mil over 4 years. A Texas player brings over $5 million. If any one of you could earn $5 mil for your employer, you'd be asking why you weren't worth more than 60k a year, and you'd promptly find more acceptable compensation. It's a valid opinion. I think the $$ should go to other sports, but I also can't argue this. It's pretty messed up that athletes are bringing $100+ million a year to their schools. Kids just wanna play. School just wants the $$$ . It's a reasonable discussion.
No offense intended but you premise is pretty flawed. Just to start with, the idea that each player is the only entity that has a value ( what about coaches, staff, administrators, cheerleaders) and that there are apparently no expenses in your football world (the dome utility bill alone is millions annually) so your numbers are inflated.

And there are many businesses that have 5-10 % labor costs. Not unusual for 10 engineers to be working on a $100,000,000 contract. There are plenty of grad assistants at research universities working on huge research projects for a scholarship and a stipend. But it’s all moot anyways because football and basketball pays for all the other sports. You can’t look at an individual team in a vacuum.

Maybe things should change. Maybe the revenue sports should stand alone. Maybe there will be a huge wave of new legislation and Title IX laws will be repealed. But if the NCAA was disbanded and colleges created a professional league to market themselves (because that’s why colleges do athletics in the first place) the players average salary would likely be less than $50,000 at a school like SU. Any players that deserved more would be under contract with an NFL team. And have a work environment similar to A & AA baseball. Maybe AAA in some places. Take a look at your local minor league baseball franchise. Is that what you want your teams to have?

Let the kids who have the talent go pro immediately and make what the market will bear. Let the pro leagues develop their own talent in their own minor league system. Let college be amateur athletics.

Y'all realize he got a massive concussion to end his carreer? No disrespect shaggy. Football is a massive injury sport. Yeah, they sign up for it. But I can't believe it's easy for a kid that destroyed his knees(etc.) watching the school making a couple mil off it . The model will eventually fold.
We know the risks we are taking. Come on. I’m fine with the fact that I’ve traded my right knee for a quality education. I guess I just hate the fact that people think athletes should get paid. It would be the worst thing that ever happened to athletics. And I do know what the players go through, although not at the ACC level, I’ve been there and it ain’t easy, but paying players or the assumption that they should make money off of the merchandise, or whatever else, that is ridiculous. A free education is MORE than enough.

Tyler, first, you need to edit your article. Too many spelling and grammatical errors. Second, why did you play if you felt this way? No one would/should continue to work for an employer if they felt underappreciated or underpaid. I think I know the answer, but I'd like to hear from you why you kept playing.
I did not keep playing. I was disqualified for medical liability.

We know the risks we are taking. Come on. I’m fine with the fact that I’ve traded my right knee for a quality education. I guess I just hate the fact that people think athletes should get paid. It would be the worst thing that ever happened to athletics. And I do know what the players go through, although not at the ACC level, I’ve been there and it ain’t easy, but paying players or the assumption that they should make money off of the merchandise, or whatever else, that is ridiculous. A free education is MORE than enough.
Im not impressed by this article. Ny is an employment at will state. So, if youre an employee, then quit and go play somewhere else that will pay you (yes i know there isnt one). Its called capitalism. Also, calling the ncaa crooks is p***** s***. Man up and call your alma mater crooks.
Nothing wrong by SU playing by the rules

Who said everyone needs 100k

No offense intended but you premise is pretty flawed. Just to start with, the idea that each player is the only entity that has a value ( what about coaches, staff, administrators, cheerleaders) and that there are apparently no expenses in your football world (the dome utility bill alone is millions annually) so your numbers are inflated.

And there are many businesses that have 5-10 % labor costs. Not unusual for 10 engineers to be working on a $100,000,000 contract. There are plenty of grad assistants at research universities working on huge research projects for a scholarship and a stipend. But it’s all moot anyways because football and basketball pays for all the other sports. You can’t look at an individual team in a vacuum.

Maybe things should change. Maybe the revenue sports should stand alone. Maybe there will be a huge wave of new legislation and Title IX laws will be repealed. But if the NCAA was disbanded and colleges created a professional league to market themselves (because that’s why colleges do athletics in the first place) the players average salary would likely be less than $50,000 at a school like SU. Any players that deserved more would be under contract with an NFL team. And have a work environment similar to A & AA baseball. Maybe AAA in some places. Take a look at your local minor league baseball franchise. Is that what you want your teams to have?

Let the kids who have the talent go pro immediately and make what the market will bear. Let the pro leagues develop their own talent in their own minor league system. Let college be amateur athletics.
I also have friends that I played baseball with after transferring, making less than minimum wage in the minors. For their time

I won’t comment further, but Everyone I played with that responded agreed firmly. The conversation starting is all I cared for.

SmilinBob

Hall of Fame
My questions are: What is a colleges liability and responsibility to the injured players? Do they pay for their rehab for as long as they need it in their lives and is there any compensation for said injury?

texascpa

Hall of Fame
I did not keep playing. I was disqualified for medical liability.
But you did play until you were medically disqualified. That's the point. No one forced you.

Even though you've decided not to comment further, which is a shame, my guess is you played because you 1) love football, 2) believed this was the avenue to get what you wanted (whether it was a shot at the NFL or a college degree), 3) realized you wouldn't have to pay for college.

You could have just as easily not played football and gone to college...or could you? $60K/year at Syracuse U. Could you have afforded that? Maybe you could, buy most can't. Lots of kids got to community colleges o9r much smaller, in-state, less expensive colleges. Maybe they should structure it so that you receive the scholarship cost in cash and then use that to pay for your attendance. Isn't that what's essentially happening anyway?

And by the way Tyler, your figures are way off. Syracuse, while not a public university, still has to file certain federal reports on revenue and expenses. They barely break even. It's the cost of all the other sports that eats into that profit you believe exists for football players. You can thank Title IX for that, ie the Federal Government, not the NCAA, not Syracuse.

HtownOrange

All American
I understand both sides of the argument. While I am no fan of the NCAA, there is one premise that is not mentioned here: Title IX. Yes, football brings in much revenue, as does men's hoops. However, with few exceptions, no other sports pay for themselves. Revenue generated by the money teams pays for other teams. It is a government mandate, it is how the government decided the game will be played. If you want more capitalism in the college sports world, get rid of Title IX (not happening, so don't waste too much energy here).

Each athlete gets a free ride academically. At SU, that amounts to$60K/year. How many 18-22 year-olds earn that much? Yes, they work hard, so does the kid making $10/hour working 60 hours to get by.

While I disagree with the NCAA on not allowing kids to earn money in the off season and from their likeness/jersey sales, even if it is put in trust while they are in school, there is a fair market value each athlete gets in return for their work.

As to the sport a kid plays, that is their choice, sometimes their parents' choice. Regardless, as noted, the kids are not forced to play. Most kids will never have a shot at a college athletic scholarship, if a college athlete does not want the scholarship, that is their choice, I respect their decision either way. They choose the risk. They know that few others can do what they do: Push around a 300+lb offensive guard; run a 4.4 route and catch the ball one-handed; throw a 60 yard pass down the sideline, hit the curve or a 98-mph fastball; shoot 25 foot threes near 40%, etc. By accepting a scholarship, they are already ahead of the game in comparison to their age group peers. and likely to remain that way for the remainder of their lives.

P.S. As a father of four daughters, I know this is easy to say, keep criticisms to yourself: knowing now what I know about football, I would be reluctant, at best, to allow a son to play football. Baseball would likely be my first choice.

HtownOrange

All American
But you did play until you were medically disqualified. That's the point. No one forced you.

Even though you've decided not to comment further, which is a shame, my guess is you played because you 1) love football, 2) believed this was the avenue to get what you wanted (whether it was a shot at the NFL or a college degree), 3) realized you wouldn't have to pay for college.

You could have just as easily not played football and gone to college...or could you? $60K/year at Syracuse U. Could you have afforded that? Maybe you could, buy most can't. Lots of kids got to community colleges o9r much smaller, in-state, less expensive colleges. Maybe they should structure it so that you receive the scholarship cost in cash and then use that to pay for your attendance. Isn't that what's essentially happening anyway?

And by the way Tyler, your figures are way off. Syracuse, while not a public university, still has to file certain federal reports on revenue and expenses. They barely break even. It's the cost of all the other sports that eats into that profit you believe exists for football players. You can thank Title IX for that, ie the Federal Government, not the NCAA, not Syracuse.

You posted while I was typing, you got the Title IX argument in before I did.

I forgot to add the tax benefit of a $60K scholarship. If that was paid out, the equivalent would be closer to $80k-$90K/year before taxes to net $60K.

jgeorge322

All American
Nothing wrong by SU playing by the rules
So if slavery was legal, plantation owners would not be wrong?

You come across as so uninformed. The ncaa is the member institutions. That includes syracuse. Stop blaming the boogie man.

MadNY3

All Conference
sorry forget that i post the link not the story

Tyler's missery
The NCAA Is a Bunch of Crooks
February 28, 2018

|

Tyler Marona

That logo is the whole reason why players are forgotten about. The NCAA does not wants its employees (players) to have a name or face. The reason why I am writing this is because DeAndre Ayton got paid 100k to play for U of Arizona. I think that it is crazy that we could not get paid.

I do say we, because I did play for the NCAA. There is no other company in America that says " *** them" besides the NCAA. It is the only place that everyone hates them. Even the worst of companies have someone that likes it. Johnny Manziel was an electric college football player. He got $0 for playing for them. He single handily saved their program. Yet nothing for him. The NCAA wants to use you, exploit you, and forget about you.

They are a bunch of crooks. They steal from the players likeness. They steal money out of the players mouth. My tutor could not give me a ride back to my apartment at Cuse cause it was a violation. We could not accept free drinks, food, or help because the NCAA sees it as unfair. In any other world, or profession does that take place. Dave Portnoy President of Barstool Sports went to U of Michigan. He gets free Michigan gear all the time. If it were to be in the inverse it would be heresy.

For the athletes it is common occurrence. I waited my whole life to be on National Television. Although, that never happened the ACC made 25 million per YEAR, on my best friend Michael Lasker for playing. Stupid. Nike gave Syracuse the biggest deal on the east coast. Worth probably over over 25M. Which is all well and good. But where does that go? Actually... I know, the school, the NCAA, and TV.

People want to say it goes to our scholarships. A school does not feel the hit that a scholarship presents. I mean even at Syracuse. Our scholarships were worth 60k. Yet we brought in as a team over 500 million??? Where does the math add up?

We got scolded constantly for having to much free stuff. Yes we got free drinks. Yes Mike Lasker and I got a free meal at Outback Steakhouse. Yes we are liked on campus. Sports are a way to build a bridge between the tough lives that we had to live, and everyone else. Bill Burr said on his podcast, the Monday Morning Podcast, "no one in the right mind would ever go fill a stadium to see someone look through microscope." That is the truth of it. Mikhail Marinovich risked his whole well being to play his finally game. (Click to listen)

For being the talk of the town we got nothing besides a couple hugs. Yeah hugs are cool. But is that enough to risk our health and future on you. My concussion symptoms still plague my daily. I did not sign up for that. I heard two old guys once talking on campus about how much they loved us. They said that they would not trade our success for anything. All I got out of that was a free set of clothes and a visor. A visor that I love but still only a visor.

The NCAA will never change. It is to big too strong to change. But should its employees have to suffer at the hand of the oppressive boss. We deserve the chance to see what we are making and benefit off of it. And ultimately profit from it.
Hopefully, you have been able to personally and professionally grow from the education you took part in.

Good luck. Thanks for writing your insights.

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Gotta say, people who play D-1 sports do so willingly. Whining about it afterwards is not a good look in my opinion.

Did you know the financial aspects going in? I hope do. If not, shame on you.

Could the system be better? Sure. Should kids get a stipend. Absolutely.

But don't enter a contract, complete the contract, get your benefit of the contract, then complain about your contract partner.

However, MBB and FB are not independent entities. They are the division which brings in the funds, which allows schools to run non-profitable divisions, like baseball, hockey, track, soccer and women's sports. (UConn WBB excepted.)

bcubs9497

All Conference
My questions are: What is a colleges liability and responsibility to the injured players? Do they pay for their rehab for as long as they need it in their lives and is there any compensation for said injury?
Actually, us player's parents use our health insurance. Whatever our policies don't pay is paid out by the university. Don't really know what happens after graduation. Will probably find out in a couple of years.

Top Bottom