My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Work intervenes so this has to be quick.

If I knew nothing and was just watching 2 young PGs vieing for playing time, knowing one was from Harlem and played against top notch competition in Northern NJ while the other was from the middle of nowhere and played against some of the worst HS basketball programs in the state, I would say with great confidence Girard was the guy from Harlem and Carey was the guy from small town, USA.

Carey is one of our most athletic players of the decade. He has nice form on his jumper, he has great quickness and agility, and is surely our best defender up top, where it looks like he has elite ability.

But he consistently gets his shot blocked. Appears to have little clue how to use his body to make space and protect the ball. Doesn't protect the ball well dribbling either. I wonder how he has played where he has played for so long and not developed some of the basic skills any solid basketball player has.

He is not a natural PG. He is a scorer miscast in a role it appears he cannot fill. Perhaps the most striking difference in these players is their confidence level. Jalen looks really tentative. He seems to be doubting himself on every turn. No explosiveness. Overly cautious. Has no idea how to protect the ball, even against inferior competition. And he gets his shot blocked just about every time he shoots inside the paint. No wonder he has no confidence.

On the other hand, say what you want about his size, his athletic ability or his background, one thing that really jumps out at you about Joe is his absolute confidence. He can see he believes in himself and that bravado translates to his teammates when he is on the court.

If you watch film of Jalen when he was playing well in HS, it is clear he was not a PG then either. He is a scorer. Not really a SG and definitely not a true point. Our staff keeps recruiting kids who are not natural PGs and tries to convert them to fill the role. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it kind of works and sometimes it is a disaster.

I think the biggest problem the program has today is identifying the right players to recruit. Carey is the kind of a player that would thrive in a running environment, probably at a lower level college environment. He is a guy you want cast in a role where he pressures the ball and is free to release early and get transition baskets. Press a lot, play Jalen a lot. He has to subjugate his game and run the offense if he is to succeed here. Maybe he can. Maybe he can't. I do know that his chances to show he can do it are evaporating and soon will be gone. I hope he responds. Seems like a good guy and is capable of so much more than he has shown to date.

Hope Jalen responds well to this adversity and finds a role on this team. Griff lost his starting position, stayed with the program and eventually regained a starting role and was a big part of the team later in his career. Jalen can do the same. This is when character comes into play.

He really seems lost out there but if the reports about his hard work are accurate he has plenty of time to turn things around.

He really seems lost out there but if the reports about his hard work are accurate he has plenty of time to turn things around.

Agree. Early last season he flashed (26 against UCINN?). Seems like there is something there. Maybe just ends up being a role player. Rooting for the ones that work hard and stick with the program.

If I knew nothing and was just watching 2 young PGs vieing for playing time, knowing one was from Harlem and played against top notch competition in Northern NJ while the other was from the middle of nowhere and played against some of the worst HS basketball programs in the state, I would say with great confidence Girard was the guy from Harlem and Carey was the guy from small town, USA.

Carey is one of our most athletic players of the decade. He has nice form on his jumper, he has great quickness and agility, and is surely our best defender up top, where it looks like he has elite ability.

But he consistently gets his shot blocked. Appears to have little clue how to use his body to make space and protect the ball. Doesn't protect the ball well dribbling either. I wonder how he has played where he has played for so long and not developed some of the basic skills any solid basketball player has.

He is not a natural PG. He is a scorer miscast in a role it appears he cannot fill. Perhaps the most striking difference in these players is their confidence level. Jalen looks really tentative. He seems to be doubting himself on every turn. No explosiveness. Overly cautious. Has no idea how to protect the ball, even against inferior competition. And he gets his shot blocked just about every time he shoots inside the paint. No wonder he has no confidence.

On the other hand, say what you want about his size, his athletic ability or his background, one thing that really jumps out at you about Joe is his absolute confidence. He can see he believes in himself and that bravado translates to his teammates when he is on the court.

If you watch film of Jalen when he was playing well in HS, it is clear he was not a PG then either. He is a scorer. Not really a SG and definitely not a true point. Our staff keeps recruiting kids who are not natural PGs and tries to convert them to fill the role. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it kind of works and sometimes it is a disaster.

I think the biggest problem the program has today is identifying the right players to recruit. Carey is the kind of a player that would thrive in a running environment, probably at a lower level college environment. He is a guy you want cast in a role where he pressures the ball and is free to release early and get transition baskets. Press a lot, play Jalen a lot. He has to subjugate his game and run the offense if he is to succeed here. Maybe he can. Maybe he can't. I do know that his chances to show he can do it are evaporating and soon will be gone. I hope he responds. Seems like a good guy and is capable of so much more than he has shown to date.

Hope Jalen responds well to this adversity and finds a role on this team. Griff lost his starting position, stayed with the program and eventually regained a starting role and was a big part of the team later in his career. Jalen can do the same. This is when character comes into play.

Spot on. Great post. Tomcat. Let's hope the young man wants to fight for a position here.

You cite his lack of basic skills. Why hasn't our coaching staff worked with him to improve these skills? It sure doesn't appear to have been improvement since he has been here.

Yes, that's great to hear.
Wish Jalen all the best, he seems like a really great kid.
And yes - his story is not yet written.
He can ask Red, Griff, or make a call to Jason Hart to ask them how to handle this sorta thing.

But - we also heard that KaJo was also a very hard worker too, so...

You cite his lack of basic skills. Why hasn't our coaching staff worked with him to improve these skills? It sure doesn't appear to have been improvement since he has been here.

Im sure the staff works with him every day and im sure jalen puts in the work since by all reports hes a very hard worker. I think it just comes do confidence and being able to perform and lead the team when the lights are on and he hasnt shown he can do that at all.

Spot on. Great post. Tomcat. Let's hope the young man wants to fight for a position here.
Agree on the Griffin analogy wholeheartedly T.C., I Remember his situation well

Would Carey be better off as a Steive Thompson type player? Carey is taller than Thompson and maybe he would thrive closer to the rim for put backs or sprinting down the court on breaks without the ball.

Steive Thompson

Would Carey be better off as a Steive Thompson type player? Carey is taller than Thompson and maybe he would thrive closer to the rim for put backs or sprinting down the court on breaks without the ball.

Steive Thompson

Carey gets blocked at the rim more than any Syracuse player I can remember.

sutomcat:

I really look forward to your takes on the games and find them really informative for a fan who cannot attend the game. I also think they are pretty funny! I thank you for taking the time to do that.

I also wholeheartedly agree that I hope Jalen puts in the hard work and succeeds.

However, I do not think you needed to take a shot at the level of high school basketball competition that Girard played against. Syracuse has benefited greatly over the years from players who were from the middle of nowhere. Jim Boeheim (from Lyons) would probably agree with that assessment.

I think it is important to keep in mind that Carey was a top 35 type of recruit. One college hoops prognisticator predicted before last season that he was going to be last year's version of Trae Young.

What I find most discouraging about the whiffs we've had at lead guard is the poor handle. Kaleb and Carey were both the hand-selected choices of the coaching staff to be the program's point guard of the future. They were athletic and quick. Usually, those types of players are waterbugs with tight handles, with the handle complimenting the quicks. Instead, both arrived at SU barely able to dribble down their chins.

What's up with that?

As with Kaleb, I think that the lack of confidence stems largely from their lack of confidence in their ability to put the ball on the floor. This is such a fundamental part of what is required to be a PG, that it is mind boggling that the staff is bringing in players who are so poor with this basic skill. To say nothing of the instincts for the position.

If Carey had confidence in his dribble, then I think that everything else would fall into place. He'd be better pushing the ball upcourt. He'd be a more confident driver. He'd be able to get himself free for mid-range shots [which seem to be his bread-and-butter]. And I think we'd be able to live with the mistakes as he developed into a better lead guard, with experience.

But since he lacks said handle, he can't do any of those things. He basically hasn't done anything valuable through the first two games.

Which is a shame, because he seems like a hard worker and a good kid. But results matter.

So...you're criticizing Carey for not working on his dribble?

I think it is important to keep in mind that Carey was a top 35 type of recruit. One college hoops prognisticator predicted before last season that he was going to be last year's version of Trae Young.

What I find most discouraging about the whiffs we've had at lead guard is the poor handle. Kaleb and Carey were both the hand-selected choices of the coaching staff to be the program's point guard of the future. They were athletic and quick. Usually, those types of players are waterbugs with tight handles, with the handle complimenting the quicks. Instead, both arrived at SU barely able to dribble down their chins.

What's up with that?

As with Kaleb, I think that the lack of confidence stems largely from their lack of confidence in their ability to put the ball on the floor. This is such a fundamental part of what is required to be a PG, that it is mind boggling that the staff is bringing in players who are so poor with this basic skill. To say nothing of the instincts for the position.

If Carey had confidence in his dribble, then I think that everything else would fall into place. He'd be better pushing the ball upcourt. He'd be a more confident driver. He'd be able to get himself free for mid-range shots [which seem to be his bread-and-butter]. And I think we'd be able to live with the mistakes as he developed into a better lead guard, with experience.

But since he lacks said handle, he can't do any of those things. He basically hasn't done anything valuable through the first two games.

Which is a shame, because he seems like a hard worker and a good kid. But results matter.
As a b-ball player in D3 I can tell you your assessment of not being comfortable with ball in the hands is SPOT ON. I excelled when I was off ball and when I touched the ball I was dribbling typically less then 3 times. I was not confident in my handle and I was an off ball player who looked to get open and take the quick shot. If I had the ball in my hands often I would have looked like an awful player. It happened before trust me.

What's up with that?

Great post, it completely explains the situation as I also see it. I remember when we were recruiting Kaleb and a poster after watching his team play numerous times made a few telling comments. He said that Adam's (the other guard on the team that went to Uconn) was the better player and actually handled most of the ball handling duties. We continue to force feed guys to become PG's instead of recruiting real ones. Michael Gbinije had a bad handle when he first arrived here but it worked out. Sorry to say that was the only example where it did. Everyone can tell when someone has a shaky handle. It's like when a golfer steps up to the first tee and takes his first swing. I'm extremely happy to have Kadary and hope we continue to recruit point guards that already have a handle.

So...you're criticizing Carey for not working on his dribble?

I think the staff should be criticized for trying to make him a point guard when his dribble is not a strength of his game. But I hope he's working on his dribble.

Not as many times but probably more times per minute than Oshae and Paul Harris. Speaking of whom, if we could get some Paul Harris-like performances out of him, that would be nice.

it's a different situation when you're initiating the offense than when you are off the ball and the recipient of passes

also, if he moves to the 2 behind buddy, then we're probably only talking 8 minutes a game, sometimes a little more,sometimes a little less.

I hope you're right about his work ethic. Anybody who works hard will be successful. Our program has plenty of examples of kids who were relegated to the bench only to succeed later. If he stresses his defensive abilities and works on finding the best shot (mostly through a pass - not a shot), Carey has an opportunity to be Jason Hart II.

or opportunity to move on to a different program--it takes some character and judgement to make that decision as well---jb has cast the dye --barring injuries, he little chance of getting back in good graces

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom