My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Wow, that was a crazy game. UB dominated for so long, then SU came all the way back and looked to have the win, then UB made a crazy last second comeback and came within an eyelash of getting a win in regulation.

And then the stagecoach turned into a pumpkin and the hard hat guys walked out of the place with their heads down.

I find this team one of the most interesting ones I have seen. They are capable of truly putrid play on the offensive side and the defense can also be alarmingly awful for extended periods. But they have also scored well over 100 points twice this year. When they are on, they can score as well as any Syracuse team. Ever.

UB watched the film of the RU game and saw they need to play man and extend it so our shooters get no room to get good shots. Or maybe they watched film of the last SU-UB game. Doesn’t really matter; we have struggled against an aggressive in your face man defense for a while.

JGIII becomes a very ineffective player on offense against this type of defense. At least at this point in his career. He can’t beat his guy one on one, can’t get off good shots from the perimeter and either does nothing or forces bad shots that have little chance to go in.

Buddy tends to disappear against this type of defense as well. Or force bad outside shots where he is covered, which rarely go in. UB tried to cover him with a little guy and I think JB told him to take him into the paint and shoot whenever possible. Not a bad strategy given our other options and their limited ability to beat their man one on one in the half court.

So we struggled again against this type of defense. Quincy kept us in the game almost singlehanded by getting offensive rebounds or getting open down low and finishing or drawing fouls.

Things just seemed to get worse in the second half until JB got desperate, put in Kadary and Woody and put on the press. This changed the game. SU started closely the gap almost immediately. It was slow going but SU kept creeping closer and closer and finally took the lead near the end, only to lose it in a disturbing fashion.

Why was the press so effective? It really didn’t cause many turnovers. Not sure it caused any turnovers. UB got quite a few easy baskets when they beat it. But it got the pace of the game to speed up considerably, and for this SU team, this is a very desirable thing.

We have a few players who are way better playing in fast paced games with a lot of transition and unsettled situations. Alan is not a very good player at this point in half court settings. Especially when the other team has a guy in his face all the time. Put him in 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 situations and he is a really good player who can finish, draw a foul, make a good pass or pull up and hit a jumper. He is just a different player when the pace of the game speeds up.

Kadary is the same way. He is an okay PG running the point in half court settings but get him in transition and he is an assassin. Marek and Buddy are better in unsettled situations as well. Q is good whenever.

Once we starting running some, the offense opened up. We got UB in some foul trouble and I think a few guys who were struggling to finish in the first half got going and were able to score in some half court sets as well.

I love watching Q play. We haven’t had many really good inside players for a while. It is so nice watching him get open and finish reliably. So nice to get him battle down low for position and get so many big rebounds. He draws fouls and gets opponent big people in foul trouble really well and this year, he is even stepping out to the perimeter and hitting 3s now and again. Including one massive one last the game today. But it is a little bittersweet seeing him play so well because we have all seen this happen in recent years. You almost don’t want a player to dominate too much because it probably is going to end up with Q going pro after the season. So props to him for another great game (double doubles have actually become an expected thing for him now). Enjoy him while he is here, because this might be it for him.

Buddy took a lot of shots today. Missed a lot of them for much of the game but he was terrific for the last 15 minutes or so. Even got some huge steals and some huge assists. He scored 22 points without making a 3 point shot. Not sure I would have ever thought that possible. It is good to see him becoming a more well rounded player.

Speaking of well rounded players, Kadary had another nice overall game. I think he ended up with 13 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks and 1 steal. He ran the offense almost the whole second half and was a rock for us.

Griff was pretty much a non factor in the first half but as the game sped up, he emerged from a game and a half funk and was terrific. He ended up with 24 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals. One of those blocks was the play of the game, where he rejected a short shot just before the buzzer to force the game into overtime. It appeared he got into some serious trash talking with some of the UB guys, and came close to getting a technical late because of this, which almost caused JB to melt down. Griff spent almost the entire overtime talking to the UB players and laughing about the exchanges.

Marek quietly had a really good day. He struggled some defending the big French guy but the big French guy struggled some covering him too. Ended up with 19 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 blocks. Made a bunch of big plays down the stretch and draw some big fouls. Got the call from JB to make a play at the end of the game to win it and lost the ball but Alan made the great hustle play to save the day. He didn’t rebound much in the first half but come on in the second. Another guy who does a lot better in unsettled situations, when he had some room inside, he consistently finished or drew a foul.

Woody played a few minutes but isn’t being aggressive on offense, which I think is limiting his PT. He did draw a great charge (Marek got a couple too).

It will be interesting to see how good UB turns out to be. Based on their first few games, I thought this would be an easy game but they apparently did not play with the big French guy. Mballa is really good. Williams is legit. So is Graves. In the final analysis, we had 5 guys who could score and they really only had 3, and that is why we ended up winning. Us getting them in foul trouble again played a big role as well.

Hopefully UB kills it the rest of the season and wins the MAC. It could happen, especially if they develop a couple more scorers. Segu looked solid down the stretch and if he had played like that all game, it would have been a UB win. They play good defense, have some nice athletes and I liked the way they attacked the zone.

The next game should be a better matchup for JGIII. It was good to see JBA out there, if only for a few minutes. When we pressed, I thought we might see Frankie playing safety but I guess he is so raw that isn’t going to happen.

It ended up being a terrific game. Happy we got the win. Thinking we might be seeing this ‘ineffective’ press more this season than we have in a long time. We will find out soon enough.

What is your definition of a well rounded player?

I would call Guerrier’s game well rounded.

Buddy scored early in the game to keep us close but I wouldn’t consider 8 for 19 shooting 2 pt shots well rounded. He drove the ball a couple of times in the first and did an excellent job. However he took a lot of bad shots.
When the guards stopped shooting is when we went on our run in the second half. Marek, Alan, and Quincy just took over offensively and Richmond and Buddy played excellent defense.

Our interior defense is absolute trash. We’re getting little paint or rim protection without a true center. And our perimeter defense is almost as bad. We can’t get Sidibe back and healthy fast enough. He’s not a panacea, but he should help considerably, especially if he defends and rebounds as well as he did the final 8-10 games of last season. I know everyone is disappointed by the younger bigs, but big men always take longer (aka years) to develop. Frank has all the raw athletic material, he just needs a year or two of development. Same with Jesse, though I thought he would be able to contribute a little bit this season, but JB doesn’t seem to trust him at all.

pretty sure most of us would like to see a nolan richardson, 40mins of hell game. not a 10 minutes of hell out of necessity while behind by 16. jb is predictable af

it will never happen with jb. it's pretty obv the 2/3 sucks the big one with this team righ now, and most of last year. but SU got bailed out again.

I like the point about the press causing the game to open up, and that we do better in an up-and-down transition game.

Would be great to try that before we’re down double digits, but we never seem to try and dictate pace.
The problem with that though is if you do press and they break it then you are giving them easy 2v1s and 3v2s to score. It could be good depending on how the opponent handles it but i think the general idea is the press will give up some easy buckets and might not be worth it. I would love to see a soft press or like a 3 quarters press just to kill 10 seconds or so on the shot clock so it limits the amount of time teams have to attack our zone.

With Quincy’s new found outside shooting stroke, I wonder if we will see him at the 3 when Sidibe returns. Perhaps push Griffin into the 2G with Kadary at point when Joe and Buddy struggle.

I couldn't watch the game. How many of Buddy's shots were within the flow of the offense? I was surprised to see that out of 24 shots only 5 were three-point attempts. Did we make an effort to get the ball to QG or were a bunch of his shots put backs?

Wow, that was a crazy game. UB dominated for so long, then SU came all the way back and looked to have the win, then UB made a crazy last second comeback and came within an eyelash of getting a win in regulation.

And then the stagecoach turned into a pumpkin and the hard hat guys walked out of the place with their heads down.

I find this team one of the most interesting ones I have seen. They are capable of truly putrid play on the offensive side and the defense can also be alarmingly awful for extended periods. But they have also scored well over 100 points twice this year. When they are on, they can score as well as any Syracuse team. Ever.

UB watched the film of the RU game and saw they need to play man and extend it so our shooters get no room to get good shots. Or maybe they watched film of the last SU-UB game. Doesn’t really matter; we have struggled against an aggressive in your face man defense for a while.

JGIII becomes a very ineffective player on offense against this type of defense. At least at this point in his career. He can’t beat his guy one on one, can’t get off good shots from the perimeter and either does nothing or forces bad shots that have little chance to go in.

Buddy tends to disappear against this type of defense as well. Or force bad outside shots where he is covered, which rarely go in. UB tried to cover him with a little guy and I think JB told him to take him into the paint and shoot whenever possible. Not a bad strategy given our other options and their limited ability to beat their man one on one in the half court.

So we struggled again against this type of defense. Quincy kept us in the game almost singlehanded by getting offensive rebounds or getting open down low and finishing or drawing fouls.

Things just seemed to get worse in the second half until JB got desperate, put in Kadary and Woody and put on the press. This changed the game. SU started closely the gap almost immediately. It was slow going but SU kept creeping closer and closer and finally took the lead near the end, only to lose it in a disturbing fashion.

Why was the press so effective? It really didn’t cause many turnovers. Not sure it caused any turnovers. UB got quite a few easy baskets when they beat it. But it got the pace of the game to speed up considerably, and for this SU team, this is a very desirable thing.

We have a few players who are way better playing in fast paced games with a lot of transition and unsettled situations. Alan is not a very good player at this point in half court settings. Especially when the other team has a guy in his face all the time. Put him in 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 situations and he is a really good player who can finish, draw a foul, make a good pass or pull up and hit a jumper. He is just a different player when the pace of the game speeds up.

Kadary is the same way. He is an okay PG running the point in half court settings but get him in transition and he is an assassin. Marek and Buddy are better in unsettled situations as well. Q is good whenever.

Once we starting running some, the offense opened up. We got UB in some foul trouble and I think a few guys who were struggling to finish in the first half got going and were able to score in some half court sets as well.

I love watching Q play. We haven’t had many really good inside players for a while. It is so nice watching him get open and finish reliably. So nice to get him battle down low for position and get so many big rebounds. He draws fouls and gets opponent big people in foul trouble really well and this year, he is even stepping out to the perimeter and hitting 3s now and again. Including one massive one last the game today. But it is a little bittersweet seeing him play so well because we have all seen this happen in recent years. You almost don’t want a player to dominate too much because it probably is going to end up with Q going pro after the season. So props to him for another great game (double doubles have actually become an expected thing for him now). Enjoy him while he is here, because this might be it for him.

Buddy took a lot of shots today. Missed a lot of them for much of the game but he was terrific for the last 15 minutes or so. Even got some huge steals and some huge assists. He scored 22 points without making a 3 point shot. Not sure I would have ever thought that possible. It is good to see him becoming a more well rounded player.

Speaking of well rounded players, Kadary had another nice overall game. I think he ended up with 13 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks and 1 steal. He ran the offense almost the whole second half and was a rock for us.

Griff was pretty much a non factor in the first half but as the game sped up, he emerged from a game and a half funk and was terrific. He ended up with 24 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals. One of those blocks was the play of the game, where he rejected a short shot just before the buzzer to force the game into overtime. It appeared he got into some serious trash talking with some of the UB guys, and came close to getting a technical late because of this, which almost caused JB to melt down. Griff spent almost the entire overtime talking to the UB players and laughing about the exchanges.

Marek quietly had a really good day. He struggled some defending the big French guy but the big French guy struggled some covering him too. Ended up with 19 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 blocks. Made a bunch of big plays down the stretch and draw some big fouls. Got the call from JB to make a play at the end of the game to win it and lost the ball but Alan made the great hustle play to save the day. He didn’t rebound much in the first half but come on in the second. Another guy who does a lot better in unsettled situations, when he had some room inside, he consistently finished or drew a foul.

Woody played a few minutes but isn’t being aggressive on offense, which I think is limiting his PT. He did draw a great charge (Marek got a couple too).

It will be interesting to see how good UB turns out to be. Based on their first few games, I thought this would be an easy game but they apparently did not play with the big French guy. Mballa is really good. Williams is legit. So is Graves. In the final analysis, we had 5 guys who could score and they really only had 3, and that is why we ended up winning. Us getting them in foul trouble again played a big role as well.

Hopefully UB kills it the rest of the season and wins the MAC. It could happen, especially if they develop a couple more scorers. Segu looked solid down the stretch and if he had played like that all game, it would have been a UB win. They play good defense, have some nice athletes and I liked the way they attacked the zone.

The next game should be a better matchup for JGIII. It was good to see JBA out there, if only for a few minutes. When we pressed, I thought we might see Frankie playing safety but I guess he is so raw that isn’t going to happen.

It ended up being a terrific game. Happy we got the win. Thinking we might be seeing this ‘ineffective’ press more this season than we have in a long time. We will find out soon enough.
Nice write up, and a great observation regarding the effectiveness of the press (even though it didn't force a lot of turnovers). The press definitely sped the game up, which really seemed to benefit us - this year's team likes to play at a much faster pace than what we've seen in the past 5-10 years.

Completely agree on guerrier. He is everything I hoped oshae would become will he was at su.

we absolutely need to enjoy him this year. I would be shocked to see him back at su next year.
I'll hold out to see how he is in league play before I entertain the thought of him leaving early. He has been outstanding so far.

Something that I have noticed since ~2006, is that our offense often gets better when we switch put on the press, or even MTM back then.

Something that I have noticed since ~2006, is that our offense often gets better when we switch put on the press, or even MTM back then.
Good observation. I think it wakes the team up, and they play more aggressively on both ends of the court. It also helps to get a few easy buckets off steals.

the story of the season so far.. when we shoot even just a below Avg 30% from the 3 we are gonna be tough.. And really not many of the 3s we are missing are forced or late shot clock shots..

Completely agree on guerrier. He is everything I hoped oshae would become will he was at su.

we absolutely need to enjoy him this year. I would be shocked to see him back at su next year.
great stuff as always
I am thrilled with how great Quincy has been so far. But let’s calm down with the Quincy going to the pros talk. The fact of the matter is he is a tweener and until he continuously demonstrates a reliable three point shot as well as more moves off the dribble I don’t see him as a first round pick. Plus he is doing this against our softer, smaller nonconference schedule. If he is anywhere near these averages after ACC play then I think we will have much more to talk about.
I get your point about JG3’s limitations but I think his shortcomings are more glaring this year because he appears to be slower and less athletic. I think the weight training was misguided and I think he was much better going by guys and using his dribble last season.
I have made this point on other threads but I think it is briefly worth noting that you were too soft on buddy’s shot selection. He needs to be more selective and willing to move the ball. This team has too many good options to take bad shots.

What is the longest period of time they can sustained the press without running low on gas?

10 minutes of heck
images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom