My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Seems like when I write these My Take posts this season, the first thing that occurs to me to type is that is was a surprising game.

The game started out with NC State hurting us on the boards. We couldn’t get any offensive rebounds and they were doing some damage on their offensive boards. That would change over time and in the end, we ended up out rebounding them 32-28.

NC State did most of their damage last game getting the ball to Hellems near the foul line, where he would take a mid range jumper (usually made) or drive a little and pass it low to Bates for a dunk when Marek came out to stop him. We eventually adjusted in the second half, and that was a key in the first victory over the Wolfpack.

This game, Hellems rarely touched it near the high post and when he did, he had a guard coming from behind. He was never left alone and when pressured, he often turned it over. Bates was out for extended periods and the offense seemed to focus on getting the ball to Funderburke down low.

We again took away their high low game and gave them some looks from the corner, which hurt us some. But NC State is not a good offensive team, they have no true point guard, and when we got in their face, they made a starling number of turnovers. Some were completely unforced.

We again struggled to score for the first ten minutes or so of the game. I think we got some baskets off turnovers to help get the offense started, but we worked the ball around well on offense and took advantage of the smaller NC State players (especially their guards), just like we did last game.

Good to see this team identify mismatches and get the ball to the right player for easy baskets. Beverly in particular was abused and had to be sat down for a while because he couldn’t cover anyone.

They again had Beverly on Q for most of the first half and again, it worked for a long time. Disappointed we didn’t just clear out and let Q post up him up for dunks and layups. Q has fallen into a pretty bad slump and started this game off badly again. But we got better as the game went on and as usual, Q was part of this. He did a lot of damage on the offensive boards. This is where he got his scoring touch going again.

Alan was the best athlete on the floor all game. It looks like he is slowly getting more comfortable and confident. When he is right, he can take over a game pretty well and he did that at times. Yes, he shot well from the 3 point circle but I am more happy with his developing mid range game. He has great touch on anything inside 15 feet and is quick enough and shifty enough to get in the paint against just about anyone. So I was really liking what he did tonight.

And the long wait for a good game from Buddy is over. Gotta give some credit to his teammates, who did a nice job getting him some wide open looks for 3s. But Buddy hurt NC State just as badly with his slashes to the hoop tonight. Seemed like he played just a little slower and got his shooting touch back. It helped being covered by a midge a lot. Even draw a couple fouls.

Gotta give credit to Braswell for being ready when Q got his fourth. He came in and immediately drained a 3, got a couple rebounds and hit a couple of FTs, all in just a few minutes. Maybe he will get some PT next game. Hope so.

JB did try to pain Kadary and JGIII together but Joe missed a couple of 3s, and Buddy and Kadary were playing well, so Joe sat a lot. He did a good job rebounding and got some points in the paint, continuing where he left off last game. Probably deserved more playing time but when a lot of players play well, this sometimes happens.

Marek did a nice job battling down low, neutralizing the NC State bigs and he did a lot of little things. Was key in beating the NC State press. Had some nice passes. Hit a couple mid range jumpers. Got some big rebounds. He wasn’t awesome, only had 6 points but he stayed out of foul trouble and was good enough that we didn’t get destroyed down low.

That leaves Kadary. Kadary was a big part of making sure the right player got the ball where he could score in our half court sets. He made some nice passes. He got some good steals. The blocks and rebounds he had been piling up have largely stopped in his last few games but when he is in up top on defense, the ball rarely gets into the high post and players rarely get off quality 3s on his side of the zone. He made a couple really bad turnovers on consecutive sets when we were trying to close out the game, but he got us 8 badly needed points and ran the half court offense nicely. He is a very mature frosh.

If we are going to get an NCAA bid, this was pretty much a must win. Have to find a way to get into the top 5 or 6 in the conference to have a reasonable chance to get a bid. Have to get some more road wins and have to win the 3 home games remaining. Hopefully we get one or two more home games back. That unfortunately does not sound likely.

Huh. Is this what it feels like to win? My jaw doesn’t hurt from clenched teeth, my shoulders are loose, my vision is clear, even my hair looks better!

It was great to see Alan play so well and be in the flow. I wish Kadary would take (and make) some threes; conversely, there were times he was right under the bucket and kicked it out, and I wished he would just put it in the basket. But he’s a distributor and I love him, so these are small quibbles.

This has been a hard season and a hard year. But things could be worse. We could be Duke.

As I've said many times before, I am so angry about losing (the ability to play) those three home games. Has any other ACC team lost that many home games? Too lazy to do the research, but I doubt it.

Hooray -- a post following a nice win, on a night when Duke and Kentucky lost, that was not bitching about our players or coach. I have stopped reading posts by many of the experts here, but you always save me, Tom.

Thanks for the post. Glad they won. Maybe the 50 year streak will be preserved.
11-6. 6 regular season games left. At least one post season game.

Assuming there are no changes to the schedule, which in this year is certainly not a given, I think we need to win 2 of them to assure ourselves of a winning season.

That would put us at 13-10 going into the ACC tournament. Even if we lost in the first game, somehow got invited to another tournament and lost the first game there, worst case we would end up 13-12.

So our magic number is 2*. With a COVID asterisk.

It wasn’t a coincidence that Q FINALLY got going in the 2nd half - after Kadary got in the game.

Is it me, or does K seem to have more steals that he ‘officially’ gets credit for in the box score?

I’m glad Bras got some run. He played well.
Sucks that it takes Q in foul trouble for that to happen.

I hope we see Woody again this season.
He started off SO well, was really giving me Frosh CJ Fair vibes, then Covid and - poof!
He’s on a milk carton.

Feel awful for Sid. Ugh.

One of the key elements last night was our guards rebounding - either via blind luck or effort I think Joe and Buddy both had 3 or 4 and I know Kadary had his hands on a few. I would be interested in seeing what our rebound numbers are like with Kadary in the game? I think his ability turns what is often more of a 4-1 into a 2-3 again because the forwards trust his coverage allowing them to play closer to the glass and giving them a better opportunity to rebound.

Kudos to JB and the staff as the game planning was excellent. Taking away the High-low, identifying the match ups, and applying pressure all excellent coaching. Marek in my opinion had his best overall game this year. It doesn't show up in the stats but he was a force on both ends. Gumby was awesome.
Kadary just makes everyone better. Hes a natural gifted PG and a pleasure to watch on D. He might be the best guards i have seen play at the top of Jims Zone. Long and quick as a cat. He is one talented player.
Griff, Buddy, Q they all miraculously become better players when Kadary is on the floor because the puzzle fits.
Thought Buddy played well. He didnt force, hustled his butt off, and dominated the match ups when he had them.
Q just kept grinding and it eventually paid off. Guy is an animal.
Griff played measured and in control. Smooth game . Kind of like a CJ smooth where all of a sudden you go " he had 22".
Joe was ok. I wish Jb would use him as the 3rd Guard more of a spark type player and take some of the pressure off him. Hes a natural 2. He does his best at the point but its not who he is and he struggles because of it. Still he hustled and didn't throw up to many chucks.
All in all from staff to players this was the teams best overall performance. Hopefully the start of a nice run.

Again, it’s absolutely pathetic the conference can’t figure out a way to reschedule games.

AND that they didn’t plan for the need to possibly have to do so...

... in the middle of a pandemic.
Because the odds were just soooo low that this was gonna happen. :rolleyes:

AND that they didn’t plan for the need to possibly have to do so...

... in the middle of a pandemic.
Because the odds were just soooo low that this was gonna happen. :rolleyes:

Are the BE, B1G, B12, SEC, P12 making up cancelled games?

Again, it’s absolutely pathetic the conference can’t figure out a way to reschedule games.

Is this the conference or coaches not wanting to be flexible? Didn't our Women's team come off a stretch of playing a ton of games in a short period because of their previous pauses and postponements?

You're using the "Mom line" on me?

"If all of your friends did X stupid thing, then you should too?" ;)

It's idiotic that ALL of college hoops didn't plan better for the fact that there would likely be numerous postponed games during a global pandemic. Not just the ACC.

Including postponing March Madness for at least a few weeks, to allow time for said rescheduling.

Better?

Last edited:
You're using the "Mom line" on me?

"If all of your friends did X stupid thing, then you should too?" ;)

It's idiotic that ALL of college hoops didn't plan better for the fact that there would likely be numerous postponed games during a global pandemic. Not just the ACC.

Including postponing March Madness for at least a few weeks, to allow time for said rescheduling.

Better?

The plan was that cancelled games wouldn't be made up.

CBS has a schedule to keep, and they ain't moving the Masters again.

A few thoughts:
-This was by far AG's best game of the year. It was as if the staff is getting through to him and teaching how to play smart and under control. There were a few times I expected him to chuck up a bad shot but instead he moved the ball. The kid has a great motor and is very athletic and can shoot. Aside from a good handle he has a number of elite tools. Here's hoping this is the breakthrough game and he continues his cerebral play (a sentence I did not think I would ever write as recently as a week ago).
-Was really happy to see Buddy have a big second half. When he is open he can score. But the longer he has the ball, whether it is holding it or dribbling it, the less likely we are to have a productive trip. Hopefully he will feel good about last night and play a bit more relaxed.
-Kadary looks so relaxed and that clinic at the end of the first half was fun to watch, as was the dish to Marek. He did have a span in the second half where he had some awful turnovers and was lackadaisical going after a rebound, which if AG or Buddy did the same things people here would be calling for their heads. There were a lot more good things than bad from Kadary last night, including making big free throws.
-How does Braswell get no minutes in a blowout loss to Clemson yet he gets important minutes last night? I just can't figure out what JB is doing with the kid. Credit Braswell for being ready and producing on both ends of the court. This is a kid who should get minutes every game and should be a four year contributor for us. JB has to keep this kid invested in the program and show some faith in him.
-Quincy was awful in the first half continuing a trend. It was good to see him return to relevance and be active in the second half. He has committed two of the dumbest fouls in recent memory this season which is surprising as he doesn't come across as a dumb player.

Bras played because Q was in foul trouble, and then fouled out.

The ONLY reason he got in. Otherwise, Q woulda gone the distance.

Q was awful because Kadary was on the bench.
K came in in the 2nd half, and all of a sudden, Q was playing well again.
Spoiler -
it's not a coincidence. Except to JB, apparently.

We should makeup games during conference tourney week. The ACC should be trying everything possible to get the most teams in the tournament. Nobody has asked about extending the season. Look at what the Patriot League is doing for Colgate. Maybe we should play them.

We should makeup games during conference tourney week. The ACC should be trying everything possible to get the most teams in the tournament. Nobody has asked about extending the season. Look at what the Patriot League is doing for Colgate. Maybe we should play them.

Everybody gets 1 loss during ACCT week.

How many coaches want 2-3 losses?

I don’t understand why teams don’t make up games on Mondays if they play the Saturday before and then Wednesday/Thursday following the Monday game.

It’s crazy. Give me an hour in the office I could reschedule games.

Also as I said play consolation games in the conference tournament for teams with openings.
It’s stupid if teams want to make the NCAAT and don’t have enough wins to not try.

We don’t have close to an NCAAT resume right now. Our best wins are At NC State, Virginia Tech and Northeastern.

I don’t understand why teams don’t make up games on Mondays if they play the Saturday before and then Wednesday/Thursday following the Monday game.

It’s crazy. Give me an hour in the office I could reschedule games.

Also as I said play consolation games in the conference tournament for teams with openings.
It’s stupid if teams want to make the NCAAT and don’t have enough wins to not try.

We don’t have close to an NCAAT resume right now. Our best wins are At NC State, Virginia Tech and Northeastern.
There's got to be some kind of funky logistical issue. Maybe arena availability, or getting refs. I don't know.

It feels like it shouldn't be complicated, but there hasn't been a lot of urgency over rescheduling postponed games it seems. Maybe it's a lot more complicated than it seems. Maybe it's just not actually a priority.

It's weird.

There's got to be some kind of funky logistical issue. Maybe arena availability, or getting refs. I don't know.

It feels like it shouldn't be complicated, but there hasn't been a lot of urgency over rescheduling postponed games it seems. Maybe it's a lot more complicated than it seems. Maybe it's just not actually a priority.

It's weird.

The factors that you have to consider in my amateur eyes would seem to be: team availability, arena availability and tv (I could live with ACCNX if they could get the games in personally)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom