My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am just going to do some random thoughts this time. Making a meat sauce. Hard to write a long post and make a good sauce at the same time. Probably impossible.

I digress.

This might have been the game JB took JGIII out too soon and it hurt the team. JGII got off to a strong start and was playing really well, but JB, perhaps influenced by Pat, put in Kadary relatively early anyway.

Kadary was okay. He didn’t stink out the joint. But it took our best player off the court for an extended period.

Joe still played really well when he returned to play in the first half and ended up with 16 points in the first half. With 0 turnovers. And then...nothing. 0 points in the second half. But 4 turnovers. He ended up with 3 assists and 4 turnovers. Rare for him.

Kadary has changed his game the second half of the season. At this point, he appears to be focusing on being very aggressive attacking the paint when he gets the ball. Not looking to pass much. BC is another team with some undersized guards and I suspect JB told him to take his guy to the hoop whenever he could.

It helped that BC had no rim protectors out there. They were down to 7 scholarship players (we Syracuse fans know that feeling well). They started 3 forwards and 2 guards and had 2 more guards on the bench. So when they did any subbing, they went with a 3 guard lineup. Given that and the small guards they had, they were at a huge disadvantage trying to cover the big SU guards (and the small forward).

But we didn’t do a good job getting the ball to the guy with the mismatch. And Alan Griffin got in foul trouble again. One of the BC guards, Heath I think, got in his face yapping late in the half, pushed him and went to push him again. Alan had his arms up and positioned one of his elbows in front of Heath’s face. Heath walked into it and Alan ended up with a T. Not the finest hour for another group of incompetent refs (who spent way too much time on this). They ended up giving 4 players Ts including JBA, who had a BC player in his face and appeared to respond by head butting him. Not a smart move and it might keep him on the bench the rest of this season.

Anyway, Alan got a 4th PF before th 16 minute mark of the 2nd half and ended up sitting out almost 10 minutes. BC got back into the game during this time. JB responded to that 4th foul by pulling Alan and using his 3 guard lineup. The offense and defense got significantly worse almost immediately. Buddy was put on the baseline. Kadary came in. We rebounded way worse with this lineup. BC started hurting us on the offensive boards. Players stopped working the ball around, probing for weaknesses and looking for good matchups and just took the first available shot. Worst still, JB decided in the middle of this to put Bras in. Now that wouldn’t be the worst thing if he went in for Buddy. But he went in for Quincy. So we had Marek and basically 4 guards in, with Bras, Buddy, JGIII and Kadary. Just an awful rebounding team and a bad team on offense too. Bras did not play well, had some turnovers and made some foolish fouls.

BC really moved closer during this and JB responded by putting AG back in. Q went in too around this time and the bleeding stopped and SU started pulling away again. Props to Marek, who made a bunch of big plays here when we really needed them. Good to see him playing like the senior he is. He even made some FTs (unlike most of the team).

Hopefully we never see a lineup without Q or Alan in at forward again this year. Please JB, never again.

The game at UL is one of our last chances to get a really impressive road win. Hope UL avoids getting sick again just before they play us and we get the big upset. They certainly are beatable. This is the type of game that could be a differentiator between SU and the many other teams on the bubble.

Nice to get a win. Nice to get over .500 in conference play. There were some moments in the first half when we really looked like a strong team but today was another example of this team not showing it is capable of solid play for 2 halves. They can play great for 10 minutes. Maybe 15 or 20. But they have struggled to play a whole game well. Hope that changes on Wednesday night.

Obviously not Italian. Dropping the hockey in is key to a great Sunday gravy

Hopefully we never see a lineup without Q or Alan in at forward again this year. Please JB, never again.

75% of this team's problem is 4 small forwards no pf/center 6'5 where there should be a 6'7, 6'7 where there should be a 6'9, and 205 where there should be 6'11 240. This ruins mismatches at 4 positions, and cuts down on the 3 balls against taller defensive teams. Defense same goes.

Selfish team scoring numbers are going to kill us over the bigger picture going forward, it's not how many minutes buddy is playing.

Watching Ajax run pointless soft screen and rolls instead of bumping hips at 12 feet from the basket is like a self-sabotage coverup. Just giving a reason to pull him out from the game 3 minutes later. Then he goes head to head mentally at the end of the half like a tough guy. If our old Big man coach was here he would of been playing 15 minutes a game with more at pf than center to atleast midseason pending on Eddy and Sidibe's groth.

Last edited:
There were some moments in the first half when we really looked like a strong team but today was another example of this team not showing it is capable of solid play for 2 halves. They can play great for 10 minutes. Maybe 15 or 20. But they have struggled to play a whole game well. Hope that changes on Wednesday night.
I think this is a function of being a team that needs to shoot well to win/look good.

When we shoot well, we look really good. When we don't, we really don't have anything to fall back on so we look really inconsistent.

Good breakdown. Would love your analysis of the reffing in the game. This one and Clemson seemed worse than some of the old Big East battles. The hand checking, bumping and grabbing gives a great edge to man to man. JB throws his hands in the air and gaws some, but I'd really like to see an early T.

I think JBA and Edwards will be used against some of the beefier teams.

After listening to JBs presser, I think he realizes that Marek at center cannot beat UNC...so he will simplfy the d assignments and get the bigger Cs in vs them and similr teams a la UVA.

If this team could get some offensive rebounds it would really be a big bonus, imo.

Re; making sause is this what you mean:

1613319237255.png

I think this is a function of being a team that needs to shoot well to win/look good.

When we shoot well, we look really good. When we don't, we really don't have anything to fall back on so we look really inconsistent.
Agreed. Which is why I think many of us get so excited when :
1)Quincy is posting up, getting the ball inside, and scoring and getting fouled.
2) Kadary is getting to the basket and finishing.

Need that balance.

Obviously not Italian. Dropping the hockey in is key to a great Sunday gravy
I am not Italian but the recipe is from there. I recommend it

I am not Italian but the recipe is from there. I recommend it

White wine in bolognese - never would have thought of that.

I am just going to do some random thoughts this time. Making a meat sauce. Hard to write a long post and make a good sauce at the same time. Probably impossible.

I digress.

This might have been the game JB took JGIII out too soon and it hurt the team. JGII got off to a strong start and was playing really well, but JB, perhaps influenced by Pat, put in Kadary relatively early anyway.

Kadary was okay. He didn’t stink out the joint. But it took our best player off the court for an extended period.

Joe still played really well when he returned to play in the first half and ended up with 16 points in the first half. With 0 turnovers. And then...nothing. 0 points in the second half. But 4 turnovers. He ended up with 3 assists and 4 turnovers. Rare for him.

Kadary has changed his game the second half of the season. At this point, he appears to be focusing on being very aggressive attacking the paint when he gets the ball. Not looking to pass much. BC is another team with some undersized guards and I suspect JB told him to take his guy to the hoop whenever he could.

It helped that BC had no rim protectors out there. They were down to 7 scholarship players (we Syracuse fans know that feeling well). They started 3 forwards and 2 guards and had 2 more guards on the bench. So when they did any subbing, they went with a 3 guard lineup. Given that and the small guards they had, they were at a huge disadvantage trying to cover the big SU guards (and the small forward).

But we didn’t do a good job getting the ball to the guy with the mismatch. And Alan Griffin got in foul trouble again. One of the BC guards, Heath I think, got in his face yapping late in the half, pushed him and went to push him again. Alan had his arms up and positioned one of his elbows in front of Heath’s face. Heath walked into it and Alan ended up with a T. Not the finest hour for another group of incompetent refs (who spent way too much time on this). They ended up giving 4 players Ts including JBA, who had a BC player in his face and appeared to respond by head butting him. Not a smart move and it might keep him on the bench the rest of this season.

Anyway, Alan got a 4th PF before th 16 minute mark of the 2nd half and ended up sitting out almost 10 minutes. BC got back into the game during this time. JB responded to that 4th foul by pulling Alan and using his 3 guard lineup. The offense and defense got significantly worse almost immediately. Buddy was put on the baseline. Kadary came in. We rebounded way worse with this lineup. BC started hurting us on the offensive boards. Players stopped working the ball around, probing for weaknesses and looking for good matchups and just took the first available shot. Worst still, JB decided in the middle of this to put Bras in. Now that wouldn’t be the worst thing if he went in for Buddy. But he went in for Quincy. So we had Marek and basically 4 guards in, with Bras, Buddy, JGIII and Kadary. Just an awful rebounding team and a bad team on offense too. Bras did not play well, had some turnovers and made some foolish fouls.

BC really moved closer during this and JB responded by putting AG back in. Q went in too around this time and the bleeding stopped and SU started pulling away again. Props to Marek, who made a bunch of big plays here when we really needed them. Good to see him playing like the senior he is. He even made some FTs (unlike most of the team).

The game at UL is one of our last chances to get a really impressive road win. Hope UL avoids getting sick again just before they play us and we get the big upset. They certainly are beatable. This is the type of game that could be a differentiator between SU and the many other teams on the bubble.

Nice to get a win. Nice to get over .500 in conference play. There were some moments in the first half when we really looked like a strong team but today was another example of this team not showing it is capable of solid play for 2 halves. They can play great for 10 minutes. Maybe 15 or 20. But they have struggled to play a whole game well. Hope that changes on Wednesday night.
That’s the biggest problem is if you have a true three guard rotation which we don’t, it should not always be Kadary comes in when Joe starts playing bad or when the half is half over. Richmond first trip in has never been in for Buddy. If and when Joe’s playing goidy and Buddy is playing below average then why couldn’t we see Richmond in for a Buddy? That hasn’t happened all year! It’s nonsense, I hate it and everything about it!

I love when people talk about points, assist, steals, or (like Jim talk about last year stats) etc and where he ranks. His overall offense and defense of plus minus both respectively are the lowest in history of any starter that’s been a real 25 minute starter

Is it simply a matter of shooting well or is it that we get good looks against bad teams and struggle to get good looks against good teams?

Last edited:
Shittake

Shittake mushrooms are a wonderful complement and protein substitute to many sauces and stir frys.

Did all thosw guys really get Ts. I thought everyone got a common foul.

Felder x2, Heath, Griffin, Ajak

i reallt didnt think griffin did anything and the announcers were acting like he was the bad actor... i didnt get that. If felder got double Ts then how come he wasnt tossed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom