My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I had this game penciled in as one to possibly attend in August. Held off on committing but talked with TexanMark and the next thing I knew, I had committed to going to the Ohio and VT games. I was going to go to the FSU and NC St games as well but those are easier for me because I can fly and have been to the venues before.

Anyway, the road trip for the Ohio game was tough on me. An 8 hour drive is really long, at least for me, and going on a 9 hour plus drive a month or so later was not appealing..

Checked on ways to make the drive easier. Blacksburg is tough. There are no major cities close to it. If it isn’t exactly in the middle of nowhere, it is very close. Long story short, found that Charlotte is about 2 hours 45 minutes away, saw there was a direct flight early Saturday from Syracuse and booked a flight a couple of days ago.

Lane Stadium was the only ACC football venue I have not seen Syracuse play at. Not sure when we will play there again. This might have been my last chance. Also, I had a feeling we were going to win and I wanted to be a part of it; to witness it in person.

So I found myself in a rental car, heading north on I77 yesterday morning. The terrain got more hilly with each mile
Soon I could see the Applalchians in the distance.

By the time I crossed into Virginia, I was surrounded by mountains and it was quite beautiful. Probably only 35% of peak, but the steepness of the slopes, the saw tooth mountain tops,,,pretty awesome stuff.

Got to the tailgate around 11:25, just as it was wrapping up. No surprise there. Mark did his usual great job, aided by people who live nearby. Thanks Mark for those diet Dr Peppers! Special props to Acesn8s for his contributions.

We headed to the stadium not long after. We all wanted to see ‘Enter Sandman’ and the helicopter flyover. The helicopter flyover was nice but it too a while and was kind of ho hum.

‘Enter Sandman’ was good. The crowd was pretty into it, especially the students. But it surely wound have been cooler if it had been a night game.

9B770797-D254-41E3-B090-86E3B168C341.jpeg

It is a big building and when I say building, I mean it. The sides have walls with a number of floors and windows.

I loved the wide concourses. They have a complex and elaborate system of ramps to get crowds to the higher levels of seats. It was built to handle big crowds. Or at least expanded to so this….

The end zone area one kind of a mess to navigate. There is no way to easily get from there (I think it was added fairly recently) to the other areas of the stadium.

The signage and row numbering schemes are lacking as well. My ticket said section 33R but there were no signs for sections with letter in them. I assumed I should go to section 33 and it turned out this was right. All the rows began with 4s where I entered so I thought I was in the wrong place but they have a weird row number system where it appears they start with 1a, go up to 1z, then 2a to 2z and so on.

It is an unusual stadium in that there is only one level of seating. So they have a ton of rows.

Anyway, I eventuallly found my seat. But on my way, I saw turkey legs for sale and got one. Why not eat the opponent’s mascot just before the game? It was smoked and kind good. Maybe just a tad underdone. $10; very keto friendly.

I was a little worried about how we SU fans wound be treated on the VT campus. We ice all heard the stories about why WVU fans have done to visiting SU fans in the past.

Well, this was decidedly not the case. I had 3 VT fans stop my on my walk to Lane Stadium. I was worried it was going to get an F bomb but they all just smiles
And said ‘Welcome to Virginia Tech!’. We sat next to some VT fans and they were very tolerant of our rooting for SU and pleasant all game long. And we had nice friendly discussions with VT fans all the way back to our parking lot. Many we’re happy VT lost because they thought it would lead to Fuente getting fired.

The VT fans made a fair amount of noise and supported their team all game long. This is a football school with a large and loyal fan base I respect.

The VT band was huge and impressive. Unfortunately, they played facing away fro us and I could not hear them well she they were on the field. I bet they played out fight song pregame. If memory serves, they had 25 tubas. Solid.

I think a good argument could be made that the opponent with whom we have played the most memorable games during my lifetime is VT. There have been a. Inch of them. And guess what? This one was as memorable, perhaps more so, then any of them. I expect we will see pods approved as a scheduling mechanism for P5 conferences during the off-season, as the SEC prepares to add Texas and Oklahoma, and the ACC will quickly move to a pod based scheduling system for football. That should address the ridiculous situation we have now where we play VT in the dome once every 14 years. This will be great to build conference rivalries and make the ACC a better comference

VT started the game with their safeties overplaying the run. They wanted SU to beat them through the air. Syracuse was able to move the ball and have successful anyway, in part due to some good blocking by the OL, and mostly due to some great running by Sean Tucker.

VT has struggled in offense all season but was very successful yesterday against the SU defense. We had Garrett out and it looked like we decided to force them to beat us with a short passing game. VT WRs routinely got 5 yard cushions and the troubled VT QB was able to make some easy completions doing this.

They have really struggled to run the ball and struggled early again. But they got a bunch of first downs with their QB runnjng, often untouched for 10-15 yards.

It was the same thing Travis did to us in Tallahassee. Disappointing to see it happen again so often. The good news is that adjustments were made and this stopped being a major issue.

We got hurt later though by the VT RBs. They had a bunch of long runs where our safeties got caught too close to the LOS and the RB got behind them and ran a long way.

I think this was ultimately our biggest problem. Safeties gettting out of position and getting burned. It is a really young bunch and I hope Tony is able to make some adjustments for BC.

I like a lot of what Sterlin is doing on offense. You have to have a genuine running threat for this offense to be successfully against ACC defenses and he realized, eventually, that the only way that was going to happen was to get a QB who can run the ball on the field.

That extra guy being involved makes all the differences. Especially when he is as tough and smart as Garrett is. It certainly helps when you have the best RB in the conference involved as well.

Sterlin kept throwing it deep all game long. We just missed on what, 3 different throws (all slightly overthrown).

But VT had their CBs on an island all game long. They refused to show respect for SU’s WRs and you know what? They got away with it until the last 19 seconds of the game.

I think we are going to have to take deep shots regularly with our WRa until we start to convert them into TDs more often.

Then the safeties have to get involved with pas coverage and our running game can really go to town. We are close to getting the whole offense working properly for tyhe first time post Dungey. I think it is going to happen this season, provided we can keep our key players healthy.

We still have issues at WR, where you see receivers running the wrong route, giving up routes and struggling to get open. I think Courtney is solid now. Alford is starting to establish himself as a deep threat and it looks like Cooper is becoming more of a factor with each passing game. Sharod is showing some signs of stepping up too. If only we had a TE threat defenses had to worry about as well….

I have been watching SU games since 1973. I would put this effort by Shrader up there in the top 5 efforts to will SU to victory since then. He was banged up pretty badly. Was hurt before the game started and took a bunch of hard shots from the Hokies. (They didn’t tackle that great but when they did, the hits were hard).

He just made play after play on his own, saving missed handoff, missed pass blocking assignments; you name it; he sis it. At times, he weaved around the Hokie defense like a drunken sailor. But he found a way to get first downs and keep drives alive over and over. And if you get him close to the goal line, watch out. He is going to do his damnest to get into the end zone. Amazing he has 12 rushing TDs already. And I think he has around 600 yards rushing. He might get 1000 if he can stay healthy.

Hoping the passing game can continue to improve and we don’t have to rely so much on Garrett’s legs to get us first downs abs points. A body, even his massive body, can only take so many hits.

Props to this team for never quitting all year long and overcoming a lot of adversity…including the usual number of troubling ref calls and review calls. Was it as bad watching on TV as it was live? Lane has a decent replay board. Nothing close to ours but it isn’t bad and man, it looked like the refs were lost all game long.

It wasn’t long ago that BC was undefeated and getting talked up as the best team in the ACC. But they are 0-3 in conference play now, and it sounds like they lost 3 more starters to injury yesterday. UL ran wild on them and they have to be very concerned about being able to stop our offense. And their offense stinks. They can’t run the ball and Grosert can’t throw it.

It will be interesting to see who is favored in the game. Writing this on a plane; guessing the line is already out there.

it has been a strange year. Let’s make it stranger and beat the Eagles. I would like to see them finish last this season in the Atlantic.

Agree on Shrader’s heroic game being top 5 — and I reach back watching SU football since Jim Brown was a junior. Also, don’t remember too many SU games where SU overcame a 2 score deficit in the final 5 minutes.

it isn’t a complete team, but they did enough and Shrader did plenty on his own.

The WRs are coming along (Jackson and Cooper) but Alford had 1 catch, a great one, but only one. Sharod Johnson - only one. Queeley — not much impact. Good thing Shrader can use multiple guys.

‘The defense has some injuries. Thought we got pushed around up front, and our small safeties try hard but they are small, We are going to have to control the games with the offense and put up scores (not FGs) to beat teams. A turn over or two — has to happen sometime, right?

I texted with a North Carolina friend and her hubby who went to VT and her daughter graduated from there as well. The daughter was there during the massacre and lost her best friend. Hugely traumatic. At any rate, Roxy is always the best sport, loving her team but never having a bad word for the team they are playing. When they lost her husband said, “Good! Now maybe they’ll fire Fuente.” Appears he is not the only fan to think that.

Finally back in Central NY, long drive, well worth the trip. Great tailgate! Thanks to TexanMark for doing all that work! Had a great experience for most part, great to see Enter Sandman, great to leave a long road trip with a win, been to many where that’s not the case. I bought our tickets last second from stubhub great deal great seats, that said fans in my area got pretty vocal and overbearing rubbing in what appeared to be a sure win for the Hokies. One guy left at 5 min mark and said well at least I can beat the traffic and thank god Syracuse is just what we needed. I would have paid a $1000 to see his face by the time he got the car. Once Syracuse sacked Brewmeister to force a punt, got a little concerned some issues might break out especially when little plastic alcohol bottles rained down. their southern hospitality changed quickly. All that being said great 48 hours. Hopefully we can carry momentum this Saturday. Will be great to be back in section 115 with some hope!

I went to Hokie-burg once, back in 1997. Was a big Saturday night game. Pre Enter Sandman. I found it to be one of the most hostile stadiums I’ve ever been to when the game was being played. Very loud and intimidating.

But the people were all very friendly. We didn’t realize at the time that you couldn’t drink from a bottle or can in the parking lot. Thought we were being singled out. A giant fraternity was next to us and they came over and gave us a bunch solo cups and said this will keep the cops off your case. Thought that was great of them.

But I still hate them. People who didn’t have this SU football habit from 1993 to 2003 have no idea how big a deal this feels to some of us. Winning in Lane, racking up 550 yards and 6 offensive TDs? That kind of thing just didn’t happen. The only game we won, we only had 1 offensive TD.

I had this game penciled in as one to possibly attend in August. Held off on committing but talked with TexanMark and the next thing I knew, I had committed to going to the Ohio and VT games. I was going to go to the FSU and NC St games as well but those are easier for me because I can fly and have been to the venues before.

Anyway, the road trip for the Ohio game was tough on me. An 8 hour drive is really long, at least for me, and going on a 9 hour plus drive a month or so later was not appealing..

Checked on ways to make the drive easier. Blacksburg is tough. There are no major cities close to it. If it isn’t exactly in the middle of nowhere, it is very close. Long story short, found that Charlotte is about 2 hours 45 minutes away, saw there was a direct flight early Saturday from Syracuse and booked a flight a couple of days ago.

Lane Stadium was the only ACC football venue I have not seen Syracuse play at. Not sure when we will play there again. This might have been my last chance. Also, I had a feeling we were going to win and I wanted to be a part of it; to witness it in person.

So I found myself in a rental car, heading north on I77 yesterday morning. The terrain got more hilly with each mile

By the time I crossed into Virginia, I was surrounded by mountains and it was quite beautiful. Probably only 35% of peak, but the steepness of the slopes, the saw tooth mountain tops,,,pretty awesome stuff.

Got to the tailgate around 11:25, just as it was wrapping up. No surprise there. Mark did his usual great job, aided by people who live nearby. Thanks Mark for those diet Dr Peppers! Special props to Acesn8s for his contributions.

We headed to the stadium not long after. We all wanted to see ‘Enter Sandman’ and the helicopter flyover. The helicopter flyover was nice but it too a while and was kind of ho hum.

‘Enter Sandman’ was good. The crowd was pretty into it, especially the students. But it surely wound have been cooler if it had been a night game.

View attachment 209414

It is a big building and when I say building, I mean it. The sides have walls with a number of floors and windows.

I loved the wide concourses. They have a complex and elaborate system of ramps to get crowds to the higher levels of seats. It was built to handle big crowds. Or at least expanded to so this….

The end zone area one kind of a mess to navigate. There is no way to easily get from there (I think it was added fairly recently) to the other areas of the stadium.

The signage and row numbering schemes are lacking as well. My ticket said section 33R but there were no signs for sections with letter in them. I assumed I should go to section 33 and it turned out this was right. All the rows began with 4s where I entered so I thought I was in the wrong place but they have a weird row number system where it appears they start with 1a, go up to 1z, then 2a to 2z and so on.

It is an unusual stadium in that there is only one level of seating. So they have a ton of rows.

Anyway, I eventuallly found my seat. But on my way, I saw turkey legs for sale and got one. Why not eat the opponent’s mascot just before the game? It was smoked and kind good. Maybe just a tad underdone. $10; very keto friendly.

I was a little worried about how we SU fans wound be treated on the VT campus. We ice all heard the stories about why WVU fans have done to visiting SU fans in the past.

Well, this was decidedly not the case. I had 3 VT fans stop my on my walk to Lane Stadium. I was worried it was going to get an F bomb but they all just smiles
And said ‘Welcome to Virginia Tech!’. We sat next to some VT fans and they were very tolerant of our rooting for SU and pleasant all game long. And we had nice friendly discussions with VT fans all the way back to our parking lot. Many we’re happy VT lost because they thought it would lead to Fuente getting fired.

The VT fans made a fair amount of noise and supported their team all game long. This is a football school with a large and loyal fan base I respect.

The VT band was huge and impressive. Unfortunately, they played facing away fro us and I could not hear them well she they were on the field. I bet they played out fight song pregame. If memory serves, they had 25 tubas. Solid.

I think a good argument could be made that the opponent with whom we have played the most memorable games during my lifetime is VT. There have been a. Inch of them. And guess what? This one was as memorable, perhaps more so, then any of them. I expect we will see pods approved as a scheduling mechanism for P5 conferences during the off-season, as the SEC prepares to add Texas and Oklahoma, and the ACC will quickly move to a pod based scheduling system for football. That should address the ridiculous situation we have now where we play VT in the dome once every 14 years. This will be great to build conference rivalries and make the ACC a better comference

VT started the game with their safeties overplaying the run. They wanted SU to beat them through the air. Syracuse was able to move the ball and have successful anyway, in part due to some good blocking by the OL, and mostly due to some great running by Sean Tucker.

VT has struggled in offense all season but was very successful yesterday against the SU defense. We had Garrett out and it looked like we decided to force them to beat us with a short passing game. VT WRs routinely got 5 yard cushions and the troubled VT QB was able to make some easy completions doing this.

They have really struggled to run the ball and struggled early again. But they got a bunch of first downs with their QB runnjng, often untouched for 10-15 yards.

It was the same thing Travis did to us in Tallahassee. Disappointing to see it happen again so often. The good news is that adjustments were made and this stopped being a major issue.

We got hurt later though by the VT RBs. They had a bunch of long runs where our safeties got caught too close to the LOS and the RB got behind them and ran a long way.

I think this was ultimately our biggest problem. Safeties gettting out of position and getting burned. It is a really young bunch and I hope Tony is able to make some adjustments for BC.

I like a lot of what Sterlin is doing on offense. You have to have a genuine running threat for this offense to be successfully against ACC defenses and he realized, eventually, that the only way that was going to happen was to get a QB who can run the ball on the field.

That extra guy being involved makes all the differences. Especially when he is as tough and smart as Garrett is. It certainly helps when you have the best RB in the conference involved as well.

Sterlin kept throwing it deep all game long. We just missed on what, 3 different throws (all slightly overthrown).

But VT had their CBs on an island all game long. They refused to show respect for SU’s WRs and you know what? They got away with it until the last 19 seconds of the game.

I think we are going to have to take deep shots regularly with our WRa until we start to convert them into TDs more often.

Then the safeties have to get involved with pas coverage and our running game can really go to town. We are close to getting the whole offense working properly for tyhe first time post Dungey. I think it is going to happen this season, provided we can keep our key players healthy.

We still have issues at WR, where you see receivers running the wrong route, giving up routes and struggling to get open. I think Courtney is solid now. Alford is starting to establish himself as a deep threat and it looks like Cooper is becoming more of a factor with each passing game. Sharod is showing some signs of stepping up too. If only we had a TE threat defenses had to worry about as well….

I have been watching SU games since 1973. I would put this effort by Shrader up there in the top 5 efforts to will SU to victory since then. He was banged up pretty badly. Was hurt before the game started and took a bunch of hard shots from the Hokies. (They didn’t tackle that great but when they did, the hits were hard).

He just made play after play on his own, saving missed handoff, missed pass blocking assignments; you name it; he sis it. At times, he weaved around the Hokie defense like a drunken sailor. But he found a way to get first downs and keep drives alive over and over. And if you get him close to the goal line, watch out. He is going to do his damnest to get into the end zone. Amazing he has 12 rushing TDs already. And I think he has around 600 yards rushing. He might get 1000 if he can stay healthy.

Hoping the passing game can continue to improve and we don’t have to rely so much on Garrett’s legs to get us first downs abs points. A body, even his massive body, can only take so many hits.

Props to this team for never quitting all year long and overcoming a lot of adversity…including the usual number of troubling ref calls and review calls. Was it as bad watching on TV as it was live? Lane has a decent replay board. Nothing close to ours but it isn’t bad and man, it looked like the refs were lost all game long.

It wasn’t long ago that BC was undefeated and getting talked up as the best team in the ACC. But they are 0-3 in conference play now, and it sounds like they lost 3 more starters to injury yesterday. UL ran wild on them and they have to be very concerned about being able to stop our offense. And their offense stinks. They can’t run the ball and Grosert can’t throw it.

It will be interesting to see who is favored in the game. Writing this on a plane; guessing the line is already out there.

it has been a strange year. Let’s make it stranger and beat the Eagles. I would like to see them finish last this season in the Atlantic.
we are favored by 4 to 5.5 pts

They can never be liked, or respected. Beamer is a dirtbag. Vick’s Jersey should be in the dome rafters.
Vick’s Jersey?

Of course, if he came to SU he'd have become a much better person! That's just plain obvious. ;)

Yeah, I don’t get the “nah, wouldn’t have wanted him here” stuff -

As if his adult life wouldn’t have gone completely differently going to a different college, different coaches & teammates, etc.?

Do we feel the same way about Jim Brown?
Because he had some equally unsavory parts to his post-college life too.

As if his adult life wouldn’t have gone completely differently going to a different college, different coaches & teammates, etc.?

Tommy Kane

Cough Allegedly Marvin Harrison Cough

View attachment 209414

You are the Charles Kuralt of SU fandom and we all really appreciate that.

You are the Charles Kuralt of SU fandom and we all really appreciate that.
Thank you. One of the goals of the My Take posts, especially the ones for away games, is to provide some insights into what it is like to go to a game, and to convince a few SU fans considering attending a game to get off the fence and give it a shot.

A couple of things i meant to discuss in the initial post but forgot:

The worst thing about Lane Stadium is how they set up the seating. They have the standard backless aluminum benches most schools have (and like we have in our upper deck) but they have an insanely narrow width between seat numbers. It has to be like 16 inches. I was sitting in seat 1 in my row and had half a butt cheek hanging into the aisle. There was no room. Extremely uncomfortable.

I think VT was on a quest to get their stadium capacity to a big number and towards that end elected to make the fan experience as miserable as possible.

The dome is a little too narrow but I bet we get an extra 4 or 5 inches compared to Hokie fans. The only other stadium close to this in terms of narrowness is Braver Stadium, another miserable place to watch a game. But I bet Lanr is even narrower than Beaver.

Lane has the same bad design as Beaver in that the sloe used for the stands is too flat so the fans end up fat further from the field than in our dome.

We were sitting maybe 3/4s of the way up from the top of the stands and a bet I was twice as far from the field, and 50 feet higher than my seats at the dome, which are one row from the top.

At FSU, they have a much larger stadium but better sight lines because the stands are much steeper. It makes for a tough walk to your seats but I think it is worth it to sit so much closer to the action.

Last edited:
Thank you. We ne of the goals of the My Take posts, especially the ones for away games, is to provide some insights into what it is like to go to a game, and to convince a few SU fans considering attending a game to get off the fence and give it a shot.

A couple of things i meant to discuss in the initial post but forgot:

The worst thing about Lane Stadium is how they set up the seating. They have the standard backless aluminum benches most schools have (and like we have in our upper deck) but they have an insanely narrow width between seat numbers. It has to be like 16 inches. I was sitting in seat 1 in my row and had half a butt cheek hanging into the aisle. There was no room. Extremely uncomfortable.

I think VT was on a quest to get their stadium capacity to a big number and towards that end elected to make the fan experience as miserable as possible.

The dome is a little too narrow but I bet we get an extra 4 or 5 inches compared to Hokie fans. The only other stadium close to this in terms of narrowness is Braver Stadium, another miserable place to watch a game. But I bet Lanr is even narrower than Beaver.

Lane has the same bad design as Beaver in that the sloe used for the stands is too flat so the fans end up fat further from the field than in our dome.

We were sitting maybe 3/4s of the way up from the top of the stands and a bet I was twice as far from the field, and 50 feet higher than my seats at the dome, which are one row from the top.

At FSU, they have a much larger stadium but better sight lines because the stands are much steeper. It makes for a tough walk to your seats but I think it is worth it to sit so much closer to the action.
Agreed. We had about 20 at the game. Blacksburg is a beautiful area in the fall.
If there is a next time you should bring your sticks.
Thanks for the posts love them also the dailies.
Heck of a comeback.
Kids and program needed this win desperately.

I was at Notre Dame on Saturday. While others were swilling beer in the afternoon, I was trying to keep tabs on the SU game.
Lots of great traditions at ND, but I am writing for only one reason. The Notre Dame marching band has 29 tubas.

Had his mother been smarter, sending him away to Syracuse, would have gotten him away from his home boys, which might have kept him from his eventual troubles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom