My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

My Take

How about Frank. Guess the reports were accurate. Thought he played really well. Same with Symir. Great handle, and very solid on D. Joe played another good game. Made his open looks, didnt force anything . Liked that Jb is riding him. He needs it and it will make him better.
Cole and Buddy are all ACC caliber players and Jimmy is my favorite player in many years. Such a smart player and very skilled. His right hand is almost as good as his left. Hes really fun to watch.
Edwards is still raw but his upside is significant. Benny is what he is a 5 star young kid who just needs time. He is so fortunate to be on this team with Cole and Jimmy as those guys will bring him along. Cole seems to be a great mentor as i always see him encouraging Benny. Which brings me to Chemistry. This team has it. The second half they looked to be in mid season form.

We will loose our share of games against very athletic teams but i dont see us being outclassed often.
This is a very good team. Hats off to JB and the staff. Go Cuse!

Benny's shot needs work, and that hair in his eyes can't help -HAS to obstruct his vision.
Drives me crazy anyway!
Benny is the player that I'm most interested in watching progress over this season.
A quiet start, but that highlight block announced exciting, Dome-rocking plays to come!

How about Frank. Guess the reports were accurate. Thought he played really well. Same with Symir. Great handle, and very solid on D. Joe played another good game. Made his open looks, didnt force anything . Liked that Jb is riding him. He needs it and it will make him better.
Cole and Buddy are all ACC caliber players and Jimmy is my favorite player in many years. Such a smart player and very skilled. His right hand is almost as good as his left. Hes really fun to watch.
Edwards is still raw but his upside is significant. Benny is what he is a 5 star young kid who just needs time. He is so fortunate to be on this team with Cole and Jimmy as those guys will bring him along. Cole seems to be a great mentor as i always see him encouraging Benny. Which brings me to Chemistry. This team has it. The second half they looked to be in mid season form.

We will loose our share of games against very athletic teams but i dont see us being outclassed often.
This is a very good team. Hats off to JB and the staff. Go Cuse!
Frank had a couple boards in the second half that were big boy

Edwards did a great job offensively of keeping the ball up and not allowing the guards to swipe it away down low. He and Frank also showed some solid post moves. Very happy with them so far helping out the offense so we don't become too jump shot oriented.

Symir is another guy who doesn’t even look at the basket when he has the ball. He helped stabilize the defense when Drexel was shredding us early and that might be one of his biggest contributions to this team. I doubt he scores more than 6 or 8 in any game all season long. Hope he can develop a nice floater to get off when he gets into the lane and has no one open.
There was a play in the second half where Symir penetrated and the opposing center actually backed off to play the lob, giving him an open lane to the basket, and he didn't take it and still tried to throw the lob.

Benny's shot needs work, and that hair in his eyes can't help -HAS to obstruct his vision.
Drives me crazy anyway!
Benny is the player that I'm most interested in watching progress over this season.
A quiet start, but that highlight block announced exciting, Dome-rocking plays to come!

As a fellow Knicks fan, maybe you’ll agree with this - Benny should try to model his game right now after Obi Toppin. Relentless energy and be ready to run run run. Active on D and do work in transition.

There was a play in the second half where Symir penetrated and the opposing center actually backed off to play the lob, giving him an open lane to the basket, and he didn't take it and still tried to throw the lob.
I saw that.

Not a big deal against a team like Drexel but in the ACC, the scouts will see what is going on and Symir's man will be used to double Buddy. He doesn't have to score a point a minute but when they give him the middle of the lane, he has to take it and make the floater. Gotta keep the defenses honest.

Edwards looks like the absolute man out there and it gets better every game. Not quite as fast or bouncy as Anselem, but he has fantastic hands which have lead to some really nice blocks, finishes on offense, and rebounds. When he finishes in the paint on O he is able to go up with the ball quickly but in control. Always seems to have the right touch on the ball. A good example was early in the first half someone on cuse shot a way short three that bounced hard off the front rim. It went right over the shoulder of the drexel guy draped on Jessie with serious pace, but Jessie still managed to get his hands on it right away and was already laying it in while the drexel guy was still looking around for the ball. That level of coordination to go along with his massive wing span will lead to great things.

As a fellow Knicks fan, maybe you’ll agree with this - Benny should try to model his game right now after Obi Toppin. Relentless energy and be ready to run run run. Active on D and do work in transition.
And he'd have a willing partner in Symir. I've seen Symir trying to initiate a fast break a few times only to realize he's beating all of his teammates down the floor.

I saw that.

Not a big deal against a team like Drexel but in the ACC, the scouts will see what is going on and Symir's man will be used to double Buddy. He doesn't have to score a point a minute but when they give him the middle of the lane, he has to take it and make the floater. Gotta keep the defenses honest.
Agreed. If Symir can beat his guy off the bounce and get into the lane and nobody slides, he has to finish.

And he'd have a willing partner in Symir. I've seen Symir trying to initiate a fast break a few times only to realize he's beating all of his teammates down the floor.

Too eager to pass? He should go all the way to the goal if nobody stops him. Plenty of trailers on this team to find if defenders cut Torrence off.

Too eager to pass? He should go all the way to the goal if nobody stops him. Plenty of trailers on this team to find if defenders cut Torrence off.
The ones I'm talking about he had 2 or 3 defenders ahead of him, with his teammates at his sides. He didn't press the issue thankfully. If Benny were ahead though, likely it would have resulted in good things.

Symir is good. Best handle, fastest guard in a very long time. He needs to keep taking it to the rack. They will start to fall or we will get put backs. He is only going to get better.

With Benny Edwards Cole and Frank, only a matter of time unto Sy passes off to the trailer with someone else in the low block. In our first exhibition both Sy and Joe went west/east to find the lob, haven't done that since. With Two tall shooters who can also pass over the defense and 3 quick strong finishers to dish to in the paint the whole game, that set is a gold mine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom