My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Very sparse attendance. You have COVID, a bitter cold night and an underperforming team all at work here. Along with the students being out of session. No cheerleaders, no band, no Otto, no dancers, no Rasta Guy, not even the Camillus Master Orchestra.

It was a bad atmosphere for hoops.

I think Mr Excitement returned as the PA announcer last night. The guy who replaced him did a really good job. Very professional. Not sure why Mike was out. Can anyone confirm he was back last night? Can't see his face from where I sit but it sounded like him.

I never thought I would say it but I miss the singers that are normally brought in to sign the NA. A scratchy recording is a not so great way to start a game.

It was an interesting game. Thought Pitt played well in the first half. Got the ball into the paint pretty much at will and got a lot of easy shots. They even got a bunch of wide open 3s and made a bunch. We made no adjustments all half and really looked like a badly coached, unathletic and confused team on defense. On offense, things weren't much better.

It was nice to see vintage Buddy. We so need him to be great to win games. He did it all last night. Shot it great from outside, got some rebounds, made a number of nice passes and yes, he even played some of the best defense I have ever seen from him.

Joe continued to play in a funk. Struggled to penetrate. Struggled to move the ball and run the offense. Struggled to get decent shots.

Cole is the kind of player who can be successful if someone else sets him up with the ball in a good place. If he is asked to score on his own, at this point anyway, he is pretty much a non entity. You can see him trying to drive, trying to get to the basket. He usually gets cut off and is not willing to bang his way closer to the basket. I think he clearly trying to get mid range shots from inside 15 feet and while he is able to get good shots off, he seems to miss these contested shots almost all the time. He rebounds hard some games and other games, doesn't seem very interested. This was one of those games. I think he would be a lot better with a PG looking to set him up in positions he can score from. You get him some open looks and he is going to be successful. He made a cut in the second half to get a layup (I think Jimmy found him that time). Needs to do more of that and we need to do a better job as a team finding the open guy.

JB3 had a nice game. Got some rebounds, got some baskets inside, moved more, made some cuts. He did a better job crashing inside when the ball got into the paint in the second half. And he made some FTs which was nice to see. With his old man game, he is going to get fouled a lot. He really needs to make a lot of his FTs to be fully effective on offense.

Thought Symir had some good moments and some bad ones. He is our best guard down low, seems very comfortable converting down there. Think we should look to have him post his guy up whenever they try and cover him with a small guy. Speaking of getting covered with a small guy, it seems like most games, Buddy gets a forward assigned to him and they almost always put a guard on Cole. Cole is getting covered by a 6'3 guy or thereabouts all the time. We need to make teams pay for putting a forward on Buddy and run some plays to allow Cole to post up his guy. Problem is, I think he is not good at that right now. But it would help us a lot if he could start doing this.

Jesse had a strange game. I believe he had zero PFs at half time. Looked like JB must have stressed him not getting in foul trouble and he adjusted by pretty much standing away from the action and watching. A lot of the easy scores Pitt had in the first half was unchallenged by Jesse. Jesse didn't even try to rebound most of the half. Pretty sure he had 1 at half time.

To JAB's credit., changes were made at halftime to address the awful performance of the zone. They put Buddy in the top middle of the zone and Joe above him. Buddy was really aggressive defending players who came into the paint. Looked like he really tried to deny them the ball and if they got it and tried to dribble, Buddy dove for the ball. Really happy with how aggressive he was in this role. Looked like JB brought the forwards closer to the paint as well so if Pitt tried to get the ball to someone down low, a forward could (and generally did) swoop in and knock the ball away). Now Pitt is bad on offense and I don't want to make a big deal out of it. But it was great to see the defense play as a unit, really for the first time all season and consistently work hard to stop Pitt from getting good shots. It started last game and expanded in the second half of this game.

I actually saw Joe, Buddy and Sy bodying players trying to dribble by them. They were denying them the lane. Stuff that was second nature to players like Andy Rautins, Brandon Triche and Tyus Battle. But stuff we haven't seen in a lot time.

And Jesse played a lot more aggressive in the second half. Made a lot of good plays defensively, got a lot more rebounds, looked to score more...you name it, he did it. Yes, he made a number of the foolish fouls he has become notorious for and somehow still fouled out of the game but overall, he played really well in the second half. I continue to think he is the only player on our team that can be an above average rebounder and with so many poor rebounders on the team, it is imperative he hits the boards hard every game.

Watching the game about halfway through the second half, I started getting a strange feeling. A familiar but strange feeling. I should be thinking about something. An important decision was looming. But what was it?

Finally I got it. I needed to think about when to leave the game.

Wait for the 4 minute mark? Wait for the taco threshold? Wait for the walk ons to get in?

It has been so long since I have watched a game in person where I had the opportunity to think about this (because the game was a blow out). It hadn't happened this year (the exhibitions were must sees given the novelty of watching the new players in the renovated dome). It certainly didn't happen last year. And even the year before, it probably didn't happen until around mid December. Anyway, it was a good feeling to be able to leave the dome with a victory in hand and get home in time to get a decent night of sleep. For the record, we waited for the 70 point mark. I was with my nieces, who wanted to leave early but also wanted to know tacos were a done deal.

On the topic of tacos and SU basketball, I started thinking about how you could redeem your ticket for a taco in the electronic ticket age? Well, when SU reached 70 points, the PA guy said to go to Taco Bell and just tell them 'Taco Time'. So I guess there is no need to prove you went to the game any longer. I believe he also said fans had 3 hours to get their tacos. I have no issues with the 'Taco Time' message instead of showing proof of attendance, but why only 3 hours to redeem? Surely Taco Bell understand most of the tacos are getting eaten by kids and most of the kids have school the next day. A 3 hour deadline might be okay for weekend games but they should give kids the chance to get their tacos the next day. It is bad enough most of these kids don't get home from the game until 9:30 pm or later, going directly home.

Okay, let me jump off my taco soapbox and relax.

It is nice to get a win. It was nice to get the bench some minutes. Disappointed Benny didn't play more. 4 minutes? It should be clear the kid has talent and needs some time to figure things out. A game like this was perfect for that. Sigh.

90BE7AF6-AC3B-412B-BB27-5E80D2AEFA0E.gif

Time for color commentary. Hope you guys don’t mind. You all seem to like it when CuseTroop does it. :) (I like it, too.) So this is Codger Commentary.

As you know, I walked ALONE to the game. There was no wind. And I have heated mittens. I parked 5 blocks away because the students are gone. So far, so good!

There were two cars parked on the wrong side of the street when I arrived. I was puzzled but turned around and parked on the right side. I got out of the car and went through all of the complicated motions of making sure I had my keys, and my phone and my driver’s license, etc. I don’t know why that is so hard! Walked about a block and then realized I hadn’t entered my ticket into my phone. Damn! I couldn’t do it standing in the street so I went back to my car so I could take off my mittens in relative warmth. Entered the ticket, got out, made sure I had everything, started to walk and then thought, “Wait a minute!” The ticket said it was January 11. Crap! I had to move my car. Those bozos were right after all. Mutter mutter. I am my own Keystone Cops.

Walked quickly to the Dome behind two teenage girls, one of whom had pants cut off mid-calf, and was wearing sneaks with no socks. I was fascinated by the bright pink of her flesh. Young people are so foolish!

The Dome may have been the emptiest I have ever seen it. The couple I sit behind have been coming to these games in those seats for probably 45 years. Faithful fans! The man is pretty darn odd. Never speaks. I know the man, J, got the Johnson vaccine at the last minute and only because he HAD to. His wife is boostered up and wears her mask. J refuses to wear his mask. At the last game, the usher finally confronted him and asked him twice to put on his mask. He did so. Was obviously angry.

He didn’t come to the game! I was astonished. Beth said he was VERY UPSET he had to wear his mask. He said the usher was a mask Nazi. Ha ha ha! I asked her if he was going to come to future games and she said she didn’t know. I said, “Tell J that my daughter had Covid at the last game and if she hadn’t been wearing an N95 she could have given it to him.” (She got symptoms the next day.)

The fans who were there were clearly there to cheer on the team. And we did! The first half was lackluster except Buddy made 4 3’s in a row. I was so happy to see him do that. It seems all these guys need confidence. I am trying very hard not to think too much about what this season must be like for the Boeheim’s.

Second half I could not relax. Finally did around the two minute mark. It’s hard to trust that the team will hold the lead. Although I have watched basketball for decades, I do not have a good grasp of who is doing what to whom and why. I like to come to the board so I can read about what I just saw. One time, however, I clearly saw Jesse communicate to Buddy, “Take your shot and if you miss I’ve got the rebound.” Buddy missed, Jesse got the rebound and was fouled.

I am astonished by the poor free throw shooting. To be clear, I have visualized the ball going in the basket, I have directed mental energy to the aforementioned ball, and I have indicated to all the free throw shooters that they are good men and their mothers love them. It’s not working. I am at my wits end.

It was wonderful to walk home after a win!

Thus endeth the Codger Commentary. Go Cuse!

I had mentioned in a thread yesterday that I still thought JB was razor-sharp in most games, even though I don't agree with some of his decisions. This was definitely one of those games in the 2H.

The things that Benny needs to figure out don't have to do with basketball.

View attachment 212652

Time for color commentary. Hope you guys don’t mind. You all seem to like it when CuseTroop does it. :) (I like it, too.) So this is Codger Commentary.

As you know, I walked ALONE to the game. There was no wind. And I have heated mittens. I parked 5 blocks away because the students are gone. So far, so good!

There were two cars parked on the wrong side of the street when I arrived. I was puzzled but turned around and parked on the right side. I got out of the car and went through all of the complicated motions of making sure I had my keys, and my phone and my driver’s license, etc. I don’t know why that is so hard! Walked about a block and then realized I hadn’t entered my ticket into my phone. Damn! I couldn’t do it standing in the street so I went back to my car so I could take off my mittens in relative warmth. Entered the ticket, got out, made sure I had everything, started to walk and then thought, “Wait a minute!” The ticket said it was January 11. Crap! I had to move my car. Those bozos were right after all. Mutter mutter. I am my own Keystone Cops.

Walked quickly to the Dome behind two teenage girls, one of whom had pants cut off mid-calf, and was wearing sneaks with no socks. I was fascinated by the bright pink of her flesh. Young people are so foolish!

The Dome may have been the emptiest I have ever seen it. The couple I sit behind have been coming to these games in those seats for probably 45 years. Faithful fans! The man is pretty darn odd. Never speaks. I know the man, J, got the Johnson vaccine at the last minute and only because he HAD to. His wife is boostered up and wears her mask. J refuses to wear his mask. At the last game, the usher finally confronted him and asked him twice to put on his mask. He did so. Was obviously angry.

He didn’t come to the game! I was astonished. Beth said he was VERY UPSET he had to wear his mask. He said the usher was a mask Nazi. Ha ha ha! I asked her if he was going to come to future games and she said she didn’t know. I said, “Tell J that my daughter had Covid at the last game and if she hadn’t been wearing an N95 she could have given it to him.” (She got symptoms the next day.)

The fans who were there were clearly there to cheer on the team. And we did! The first half was lackluster except Buddy made 4 3’s in a row. I was so happy to see him do that. It seems all these guys need confidence. I am trying very hard not to think too much about what this season must be like for the Boeheim’s.

Second half I could not relax. Finally did around the two minute mark. It’s hard to trust that the team will hold the lead. Although I have watched basketball for decades, I do not have a good grasp of who is doing what to whom and why. I like to come to the board so I can read about what I just saw. One time, however, I clearly saw Jesse communicate to Buddy, “Take your shot and if you miss I’ve got the rebound.” Buddy missed, Jesse got the rebound and was fouled.

I am astonished by the poor free throw shooting. To be clear, I have visualized the ball going in the basket, I have directed mental energy to the aforementioned ball, and I have indicated to all the free throw shooters that they are good men and their mothers love them. It’s not working. I am at my wits end.

Lovely job! That was a delightful read.
I totally agree about the confidence with this group.

They are so close to playing pretty well. It's just a few things here and there. I don't think they've been blown out of more than 1 or 2 games all year.

Very sparse attendance. You have COVID, a bitter cold night and an underperforming team all at work here. Along with the students being out of session. No cheerleaders, no band, no Otto, no dancers, no Rasta Guy, not even the Camillus Master Orchestra.

I think Mr Excitement returned as the PA announcer last night. The guy who replaced him did a really good job. Very professional. Not sure why Mike was out. Can anyone confirm he was back last night? Can't see his face from where I sit but it sounded like him.

I never thought I would say it but I miss the singers that are normally brought in to sign the NA. A scratchy recording is a not so great way to start a game.

It was an interesting game. Thought Pitt played well in the first half. Got the ball into the paint pretty much at will and got a lot of easy shots. They even got a bunch of wide open 3s and made a bunch. We made no adjustments all half and really looked like a badly coached, unathletic and confused team on defense. On offense, things weren't much better.

It was nice to see vintage Buddy. We so need him to be great to win games. He did it all last night. Shot it great from outside, got some rebounds, made a number of nice passes and yes, he even played some of the best defense I have ever seen from him.

Joe continued to play in a funk. Struggled to penetrate. Struggled to move the ball and run the offense. Struggled to get decent shots.

Cole is the kind of player who can be successful if someone else sets him up with the ball in a good place. If he is asked to score on his own, at this point anyway, he is pretty much a non entity. You can see him trying to drive, trying to get to the basket. He usually gets cut off and is not willing to bang his way closer to the basket. I think he clearly trying to get mid range shots from inside 15 feet and while he is able to get good shots off, he seems to miss these contested shots almost all the time. He rebounds hard some games and other games, doesn't seem very interested. This was one of those games. I think he would be a lot better with a PG looking to set him up in positions he can score from. You get him some open looks and he is going to be successful. He made a cut in the second half to get a layup (I think Jimmy found him that time). Needs to do more of that and we need to do a better job as a team finding the open guy.

JB3 had a nice game. Got some rebounds, got some baskets inside, moved more, made some cuts. He did a better job crashing inside when the ball got into the paint in the second half. And he made some FTs which was nice to see. With his old man game, he is going to get fouled a lot. He really needs to make a lot of his FTs to be fully effective on offense.

Thought Symir had some good moments and some bad ones. He is our best guard down low, seems very comfortable converting down there. Think we should look to have him post his guy up whenever they try and cover him with a small guy. Speaking of getting covered with a small guy, it seems like most games, Buddy gets a forward assigned to him and they almost always put a guard on Cole. Cole is getting covered by a 6'3 guy or thereabouts all the time. We need to make teams pay for putting a forward on Buddy and run some plays to allow Cole to post up his guy. Problem is, I think he is not good at that right now. But it would help us a lot if he could start doing this.

Jesse had a strange game. I believe he had zero PFs at half time. Looked like JB must have stressed him not getting in foul trouble and he adjusted by pretty much standing away from the action and watching. A lot of the easy scores Pitt had in the first half was unchallenged by Jesse. Jesse didn't even try to rebound most of the half. Pretty sure he had 1 at half time.

To JAB's credit., changes were made at halftime to address the awful performance of the zone. They put Buddy in the top middle of the zone and Joe above him. Buddy was really aggressive defending players who came into the paint. Looked like he really tried to deny them the ball and if they got it and tried to dribble, Buddy dove for the ball. Really happy with how aggressive he was in this role. Looked like JB brought the forwards closer to the paint as well so if Pitt tried to get the ball to someone down low, a forward could (and generally did) swoop in and knock the ball away). Now Pitt is bad on offense and I don't want to make a big deal out of it. But it was great to see the defense play as a unit, really for the first time all season and consistently work hard to stop Pitt from getting good shots. It started last game and expanded in the second half of this game.

I actually saw Joe, Buddy and Sy bodying players trying to dribble by them. They were denying them the lane. Stuff that was second nature to players like Andy Rautins, Brandon Triche and Tyus Battle. But stuff we haven't seen in a lot time.

And Jesse played a lot more aggressive in the second half. Made a lot of good plays defensively, got a lot more rebounds, looked to score more...you name it, he did it. Yes, he made a number of the foolish fouls he has become notorious for and somehow still fouled out of the game but overall, he played really well in the second half. I continue to think he is the only player on our team that can be an above average rebounder and with so many poor rebounders on the team, it is imperative he hits the boards hard every game.

Watching the game about halfway through the second half, I started getting a strange feeling. A familiar but strange feeling. I should be thinking about something. An important decision was looming. But what was it?

Wait for the 4 minute mark? Wait for the taco threshold? Wait for the walk ons to get in?

It has been so long since I have watched a game in person where I had the opportunity to think about this (because the game was a blow out). It hadn't happened this year (the exhibitions were must sees given the novelty of watching the new players in the renovated dome). It certainly didn't happen last year. And even the year before, it probably didn't happen until around mid December. Anyway, it was a good feeling to be able to leave the dome with a victory in hand and get home in time to get a decent night of sleep. For the record, we waited for the 70 point mark. I was with my nieces, who wanted to leave early but also wanted to know tacos were a done deal.

On the topic of tacos and SU basketball, I started thinking about how you could redeem your ticket for a taco in the electronic ticket age? Well, when SU reached 70 points, the PA guy said to go to Taco Bell and just tell them 'Taco Time'. So I guess there is no need to prove you went to the game any longer. I believe he also said fans had 3 hours to get their tacos. I have no issues with the 'Taco Time' message instead of showing proof of attendance, but why only 3 hours to redeem? Surely Taco Bell understand most of the tacos are getting eaten by kids and most of the kids have school the next day. A 3 hour deadline might be okay for weekend games but they should give kids the chance to get their tacos the next day. It is bad enough most of these kids don't get home from the game until 9:30 pm or later, going directly home.

It is nice to get a win. It was nice to get the bench some minutes. Disappointed Benny didn't play more. 4 minutes? It should be clear the kid has talent and needs some time to figure things out. A game like this was perfect for that. Sigh.
Tom, how do you think the game would have gone if Pitt had it’s good guards for that game?

Tom, how do you think the game would have gone if Pitt had it’s good guards for that game?
I don’t know much about Nike Sibande. He got hurt in preseason and is out for the season. I think he was expected to be pretty good. Averaged 6.9 ppg last season.

Horton was a starter last year I think. He has been suspended almost all season. I think he got reinstated and charges were filed and he was suspended again. He averaged 8.9 ppg last season and shot 37% from 3. Might have helped them shooting from the 3 point circle.

I think they have other, similar mediocre guards that might be a little worse. Guessing it cost them 5 points or so? I don’t see either player as a difference maker.

The only correct answer to the question of when to leave the game, is when the game is OVER.

View attachment 212652

Rather than just be a separate post in the 'My Take" thread, I propose a separate thread titled, "Codger Commentary"...

View attachment 212652

i think you are spot on about the confidence thing. i'm sure this board is probably not helping much on that side of things...

i think the schedule difficulty of this season was a confidence-killer. they came into the year with their chests puffed out big time...but not ready to play anywhere near their best...if this non conference season had been full of easier games im sure they might be playing and feeling better now.

But I do think that the season isnt over (as bad as it looks) and that they will keep fighting to the end.

and agree about your comment about the boeheims...gotta be tough so far.

Tom, just saw on Facebook that you have 48 hours to go to a Taco Bell and say Taco Time to get the free taco!

Tom, just saw on Facebook that you have 48 hours to go to a Taco Bell and say Taco Time to get the free taco!
Sweet. That is a lot more reasonable than 3 hours from the end of the game! Taco lovers everywhere*, please take note.

* Void where prohibited. Not all franchises may participate. Your mileage may vary…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom