My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I haven't been able to post after the last couple of losses. Just too painful, too sad to do it.

Thanks to a wonderful benefactor (cto; thanks again!), last night, I had a chance to sit court side.

From there, you can really notice how much darker the building is during play. They have lowered the lighting over the stands and it makes the building seem a little more intimate. Which is a good thing.

From my normal seats in section 310, you can see the center hung scoreboard very nicely, and it was greatly missed down low. Hope it is possible that someday, we can figure out a way to move that great scoreboard over the basketball court for hoops games and properly leverage the massive investment that was made here.

This team is one of the quieter teams in recent years. A lot of times the PG is really vocal. Sometimes it is a captain. Often, the center talks a lot to his teammates from his central position in the zone, directing the other players when they drift out of position.

The only guy I heard talk much was Symir. This is just a quiet bunch.

The game always seems much physical up close. There are a lot of violent collisions. A lot of people hitting the floor hard. A lot of hard pushing, holding and shoving.

Buddy gets hit a lot. Cole hit the floor hard a number of times. Jesse got mugged a few times. I am surprised how the players are able to handle all the contact and not get hurt all the time. I guess young bodies can take a lot of pounding.

Was surprised to be Bourama be the first player to get in. He actually played decently while he was in, but he didn't last long and my guess is that his knee swelled up because he never got back in.

Thought we had a matchup advantage on Clemson in that they did not have a tall, athletic guy with long arms to cover Buddy. That has been the most effective way to take away his inside game and if the tall guy stays in his face, Buddy really struggles to even get outside shots. In this game, Buddy was mostly covered by guys his size or smaller and he was able to get quality shots off in the paint relatively easily. Also, Clemson rarely doubled Buddy when he ventured into the paint, which is pretty odd (and ill advised IMHO).

Clemson didn't have any shot blockers either, which helped Jimmy and Jesse get shots off in the paint. They generally covered Buddy with a forward and used a guard on Cole, as most ACC teams have done and Cole was again not able to take much advantage of this. The guard on him was a lot quicker and got some steals when Cole exposed the ball. Cole is not comfortable going one on one on anyone, but looks especially venerable trying to beat a guard with the dribble. He still needs a lot of work on this. Wish he would try and post his man up down low but he just isn't that guy right now. That said, he played good defense, he got some rebounds and made a few good passes.

Jesse had a nice game. Biggest gripe with him was that he let Hall get the ball too close to the basket too many times. JB must have made denying Hall position down low a priority because Hall posted Jesse close a couple of times early and Jesse got pulled and yelled at. The box score had Jesse with 4 blocks but I thought some were missed and he ended up with 6 or 7. He really had a big impact on Clemson and their ability to score in the paint (when they did, it was usually because a guard got beat and Jesse came out to fill the gap and they passed to someone under the basket, where a forward was a step late filling in). He had 11 rebounds but got his hands on another 4 or 5 that got knocked loose. Was not far from a big rebounding day for him.

Liked the subbing JB did in the first half, even if he again subbed too many backups at the same time. Was unhappy watching Clemson subbing every couple of minutes in the second half (part of that was foul trouble) and us not sub at all.

Finally, I think it was around the 8 minute mark, JB brought in Symir and started using the 3 guard lineup. We were struggling some scoring then but when Symir came in, the ball seemed to move around better and JG3 became more of a threat offensively playing on a wing. When we have that lineup, with Cole, JG3 and Buddy on the perimeter and Jesse inside, and Symir capable of penetrating, things open up for us. It is a tough lineup to defend; all 4 of the guys other than Symir can score and we tend to score some points. Even Symir benefits and can score some because the inside gets a lot more open with only Jesse down there, so there is more space to drive and dish or finish.

The big con to this lineup is rebounding. It isn't a great lineup defensively but it is at least as good as our starting lineup (I think our best defensive lineup has Benny in for JB3 but lets leave it at that for now). It should be a really bad rebounding lineup and most of the time when we go to it, we get pounded on the boards, but Clemson is a small team that doesn't rebound well and this was one opponent in the ACC where we could get away with using it for an extended period and not get killed.

Anyway, props to JB for going to it. Thought it was a key towards getting the win last night. Thought the refs did a good job last night. They called the game pretty tight and I thought they were consistent throughout. Rarely give them props and I think a couple of the guys might be new to the ACC (didn't recognize them) but they were good.

Hate the 9 pm starts on weekdays. Dragging a bit right now but I am glad I went and saw a nice victory. It has been a tough season and I am grateful for every win we can get.

I haven't been able to post after the last couple of losses. Just too painful, too sad to do it.

Thanks to a wonderful benefactor (cto; thanks again!), last night, I had a chance to sit court side.

From there, you can really notice how much darker the building is during play. They have lowered the lighting over the stands and it makes the building seem a little more intimate. Which is a good thing.

From my normal seats in section 310, you can see the center hung scoreboard very nicely, and it was greatly missed down low. Hope it is possible that someday, we can figure out a way to move that great scoreboard over the basketball court for hoops games and properly leverage the massive investment that was made here.

This team is one of the quieter teams in recent years. A lot of times the PG is really vocal. Sometimes it is a captain. Often, the center talks a lot to his teammates from his central position in the zone, directing the other players when they drift out of position.

The game always seems much physical up close. There are a lot of violent collisions. A lot of people hitting the floor hard. A lot of hard pushing, holding and shoving.

Buddy gets hit a lot. Cole hit the floor hard a number of times. Jesse got mugged a few times. I am surprised how the players are able to handle all the contact and not get hurt all the time. I guess young bodies can take a lot of pounding.

Was surprised to be Bourama be the first player to get in. He actually played decently while he was in, but he didn't last long and my guess is that his knee swelled up because he never got back in.

Thought we had a matchup advantage on Clemson in that they did not have a tall, athletic guy with long arms to cover Buddy. That has been the most effective way to take away his inside game and if the tall guy stays in his face, Buddy really struggles to even get outside shots. In this game, Buddy was mostly covered by guys his size or smaller and he was able to get quality shots off in the paint relatively easily. Also, Clemson rarely doubled Buddy when he ventured into the paint, which is pretty odd (and ill advised IMHO).

Clemson didn't have any shot blockers either, which helped Jimmy and Jesse get shots off in the paint. They generally covered Buddy with a forward and used a guard on Cole, as most ACC teams have done and Cole was again not able to take much advantage of this. The guard on him was a lot quicker and got some steals when Cole exposed the ball. Cole is not comfortable going one on one on anyone, but looks especially venerable trying to beat a guard with the dribble. He still needs a lot of work on this. Wish he would try and post his man up down low but he just isn't that guy right now. That said, he played good defense, he got some rebounds and made a few good passes.

Jesse had a nice game. Biggest gripe with him was that he let Hall get the ball too close to the basket too many times. JB must have made denying Hall position down low a priority because Hall posted Jesse close a couple of times early and Jesse got pulled and yelled at. The box score had Jesse with 4 blocks but I thought some were missed and he ended up with 6 or 7. He really had a big impact on Clemson and their ability to score in the paint (when they did, it was usually because a guard got beat and Jesse came out to fill the gap and they passed to someone under the basket, where a forward was a step late filling in). He had 11 rebounds but got his hands on another 4 or 5 that got knocked loose. Was not far from a big rebounding day for him.

Liked the subbing JB did in the first half, even if he again subbed too many backups at the same time. Was unhappy watching Clemson subbing every couple of minutes in the second half (part of that was foul trouble) and us not sub at all.

Finally, I think it was around the 8 minute mark, JB brought in Symir and started using the 3 guard lineup. We were struggling some scoring then but when Symir came in, the ball seemed to move around better and JG3 became more of a threat offensively playing on a wing. When we have that lineup, with Cole, JG3 and Buddy on the perimeter and Jesse inside, and Symir capable of penetrating, things open up for us. It is a tough lineup to defend; all 4 of the guys other than Symir can score and we tend to score some points. Even Symir benefits and can score some because the inside gets a lot more open with only Jesse down there, so there is more space to drive and dish or finish.

The big con to this lineup is rebounding. It isn't a great lineup defensively but it is at least as good as our starting lineup (I think our best defensive lineup has Benny in for JB3 but lets leave it at that for now). It should be a really bad rebounding lineup and most of the time when we go to it, we get pounded on the boards, but Clemson is a small team that doesn't rebound well and this was one opponent in the ACC where we could get away with using it for an extended period and not get killed.

Anyway, props to JB for going to it. Thought it was a key towards getting the win last night. Thought the refs did a good job last night. They called the game pretty tight and I thought they were consistent throughout. Rarely give them props and I think a couple of the guys might be new to the ACC (didn't recognize them) but they were good.

Hate the 9 pm starts on weekdays. Dragging a bit right now but I am glad I went and saw a nice victory. It has been a tough season and I am grateful for every win we can get.
Can't speak enough about how well Jesse played. He has done a great job the last couple games staying out of foul trouble. Makes a huge difference. I think we will see more of the three-guard lineup going forward as Symir is earning more minutes at the point with Joe at the two. Plus, there is no way that JAB is going to keep Buddy out of the game. This directly affects Benny's minutes and makes it even more important for him to make an immediate impact when he enters.

Hall, from Clemson, has a nice inside offensive game. Our bigs could take lessons watching Hall and his little jump hook/turnaround J that so many bigs haven't mastered, although Sid had a nifty move last night. It was so good to see Cuse come out strong in the 2nd half yesterday and maintain a lead throughout, although taking the air out of the ball was a little scary at times. Glad JAB got smart and inserted Frank towards the end.

Dome Pete is just as incompetent as All Business Pete from Barstool Sports.

Symir also limits his own minutes in crunch time, when most teams slap a press on us, because of his foul shooting woes. He’s a junior and I’m certain he’s aware of his foul shooting issues but sure hope he can figure it out. It’s worse for any team that their point guard is a poor foul shooter but even worse for us because we know every team will pressure us at some crucial point.

Symir also limits his own minutes in crunch time, when most teams slap a press on us, because of his foul shooting woes. He’s a junior and I’m certain he’s aware of his foul shooting issues but sure hope he can figure it out. It’s worse for any team that their point guard is a poor foul shooter but even worse for us because we know every team will pressure us at some crucial point.
We should sub Jimmy out then as well.
He isn’t a good FT shooter either.
Atleast Symir can dribble thru pressure.

Our HC will say whatever to justify what he wants to do.

The refs did look to be good on TV, but they should be embarrassed by that call on Jesse's fifth foul.

I actually didn’t think the officiating was that great…….

The obvious travel comes to mind….where the kid for Clemson went up to shoot and came back down and then continued his dribble

JB isn’t the only one who will say what he wants to justify what he wants. Symir is shooting 35.6% from the free throw line this year and 35.2% for his 3 year career. His role is to be the guy who has the ball, break the press. Jimmy, also has a poor free throw % at 58.2% this year, down from his last year mark of 71.6%. However Jimmy’s role is different In breaking the press, handling the ball, as I figure you know.

Now if you’re referring to the desperation situation where an opponent is intentionally fouling SU at the end of a game, that is different. In that case, taking out Jimmy is certainly an option but sure wish we had clear cut better options on the bench. Putting in frosh Benny would be worse than Jimmy since he’s a 42.9% free throw shooter. Frank Anselm has the best bench percentage at 65.2%, a little better than Jimmy. There are ways to earn minutes from the bench and one would be to excel at the free throw line. (The bad is Frank is averaging over 6 fouls per 40 minutes, will he hurt you in crucial situations by fouling?)

JB isn’t the only one who will say what he wants to justify what he wants. Symir is shooting 35.6% from the free throw line this year and 35.2% for his 3 year career. His role is to be the guy who has the ball, break the press. Jimmy, also has a poor free throw % but it’s 58.2% this year, down from his last year mark of 71.6%. However Jimmy’s role is different In breaking the press, handling the ball, as I figure you know.

Now if you’re referring to the desperation situation where an opponent is intentionally fouling SU at the end of a game, that is different. In that case, taking out Jimmy is certainly an option but sure wish we had clear cut better options on the bench. Putting in frosh Benny would be worse than Jimmy since he’s a 42.9% free throw shooter. Frank Anselm has the best bench percentage at 65.2%, a little better than Jimmy. There are ways to earn minutes from the bench and one would be to excel at the free throw line. (The bad is Frank is averaging over 6 fouls per 40 minutes, will he hurt you in crucial situations by fouling?)
We don’t have a real PG.

If we are going to get pressure we have used Jimmy one of the 4 other starters to help Joe the most.
The idea Jimmy hasn’t been used to help break the press isn’t true.

Symir struggles at the FT? He has shot 13 FTs the entire year. Jimmy has shot 55FTs.

It’s not the same amount to draw the same conclusion.

Their has been a chilling effect of saying the leash from the bench making one mistake is not the same as the starters.

The starters minus Edwards can mistakes without immediately being subbed out. One mistake from Benny or Symir go straight to the bench do not pass go do not collect 200 dollars.

Sorry I don’t believe 13 FT attempts the entire season is enough to feel he can’t play at the end of games.

We need the starters to play 35+ MPG its the only way to win.

If the defense is better with Symir at the end then he should get to play. The defense is better with Symir. Maybe trying to rotate offense and dsfense a little.
You know like coaches can do.
There isn’t a limit how many times you can sub in and out.

Wow you are all over the place. Guess you weren’t really replying to my post.

Wow you are all over the place. Guess you weren’t really replying to my post.
13 FTAs really proves Symir can’t play at the end of games.
You are right.
Why improve the zone defense and ball handling because he has shot 5 for 13 from the FT line.

Lets keep the starters in the whole time. Syracuse basketball can’t compete unless Joe, Buddy, Cole, Jimmy are on the floor af the end.
Even though Symir makes the defense and ball handling better.

You are right.
Why improve the zone defense and ball handling because he has shot 5 for 13 from the FT line.

Lets keep the starters in the whole time. Syracuse basketball can’t compete unless Joe, Buddy, Cole, Jimmy are on the floor af the end.
Symir's role and minutes are growing every game.

Symir's role and minutes are growing every game.
That isn’t the point.
End of game situations. Because he has shot 5 for 13 and most of those FTs were in the early part of the season.
He is 1 for 2 since NYD. The 1 for 4 against Cornell we can’t play Torrence at end. 13 FTs is not enough.

Torrence has shown he can play.
He should get some minutes and Joe has shown he can shoot and play 2G.

JB subs all the reserves at the same time.

Symir-Joe-2F-Jesse can play some minutes. Buddy doesn’t need to play 38-40 a game.

No reason we can’t sub offense for defense at end game scenarios.

Last edited:
You are up 2 with 10 seconds left.
Why sub the better defender for an end of the game situation?
Because Torrence can’t shoot FTs.
Leave the worse defenders in.

Dunk in 4 seconds. Tie game. Going to OT and loss.

Can’t express this opinion.

You are right.

Missing no the front end of a one and one is the same as a turnover with the point of the foul being to stop the clock and have an offensive opportunity. Ball handling makes no difference when the ball can’t be in your hands. Pretty fundamental.

Missing no the front end of a one and one is the same as a turnover with the point of the foul being to stop the clock and have an offensive opportunity. Ball handling makes no difference when the ball can’t be in your hands. Pretty fundamental.
13 FTs attempts. You are making a decision based on 13 FTs.
Why would you play Jimmy at the end of games then?

Symir can play defense and makes the zone better. You aren’t getting the point we don’t even try to use our bench in situations it can help.

If Symir made 58% of his FTs which is making 3 more it wouldn’t matter.

The numbers have been shown. We are at our worst in the last 10 minutes of the game. The thread about quarters broken down.

We can sub in situations we need defense and we can sub in situations we need offense. Instead we only sub when it’s completely necessary.

Our starters may be better offensive players they aren’t better defensive players we can actually use that.

That isn’t the point.
End of game situations. Because he has shot 5 for 13 and most of those FTs were in the early part of the season.
He is 1 for 2 since NYD. The 1 for 4 against Cornell we can’t play Torrence at end. 13 FTs is not enough.

Torrence has shown he can play.
He should get some minutes and Joe has shown he can shoot and play 2G.

JB subs all the reserves at the same time.

Symir-Joe-2F-Jesse can play some minutes. Buddy doesn’t need to play 38-40 a game.

No reason we can’t sub offense for defense at end game scenarios.
Buddy draws the best defender and is the focus of the opponents defense which gives Joe space and clean looks. The three guard offense is going to be on the floor for more minutes going forward.

Buddy draws the best defender and is the focus of the opponents defense which gives Joe space and clean looks. The three guard offense is going to be on the floor for more minutes going forward.

It’s not hard to scout our team.
Buddy gets the tallest wing defender. He is a good player.
He isn’t a superstar. He should play a lot. Just not 40 mpg.

Their is a lot of situations i could break down where his transition defense costs us because he can’t exert energy because he is playing the whole game.

We need some shooting on the floor.

Why does Symir’s minutes have to come from Swider or Jimmy.
It makes our defense and rebounding worse.

Symir-Joe could play 4 minutes each half with forwards/Jesse.
We would lose some offense but gain defense.

This isn’t even addressing the end of game situations. Where we can should sub offense and defense.

The Wake game if Symir and Frank are on the court when we are up 2 with 10 seconds our defense is better and the situation is different.

There is a big difference between your 4 man being struggling with FT's and your main ball handler struggling with FT's at the end of the game ... you can hide Jimmy somewhat and you need his post play/reb... Symir will handle the ball and get fouled... I get that we look really shaky vs pressure def but we are not turning it over a ton vs it...To be honest its more the fact that we get into late offense when pressured... and Symir even looks shaky at times... the best part of about Symir is he can create in HC offense for someone and get to the rim

You are right.

Benny's 42% FT sample size is 7 attempts lol. I'm sure he would match Jimmy's 52% if he was able to get comfortable at all.

You are up 2 with 10 seconds left.
Why sub the better defender for an end of the game situation?
Because Torrence can’t shoot FTs.
Leave the worse defenders in.

Dunk in 4 seconds. Tie game. Going to OT and loss.

Can’t express this opinion.
I’m really having a hard time understanding where you stand on this. You are using some form of shorthand that is making your message confusing

I’m really having a hard time understanding where you stand on this. You are using some form of shorthand that is making your message confusing
We can sub players in for specific situations.

We are up 2 against Wake 10 seconds left do you ride your starters or do you bring in the best defensive lineup?
You don’t need to worry about offense.

In those situations Girard/Boeheim up top and Boeheim in the middle of the zone SHOULD NEVER happen.

Guess what that is exactly what took place and because the HC would say we need that lineup for offense but not defense. That was a clear situation the bench should be in for defense. Instead no subs and we gave up a dunk in 4 seconds and lost in OT.

The coaching has been poor. We won’t use the bench in clear situations we should but Symir is 5 for 13 from the FT line so he has to sit.

We can sub players in for specific situations.

We are up 2 against Wake 10 seconds left do you ride your starters or do you bring in the best defensive lineup?
You don’t need to worry about offense.

In those situations Girard/Boeheim up top and Boeheim in the middle of the zone SHOULD NEVER happen.

Guess what that is exactly what took place and because the HC would say we need that lineup for offense but not defense. That was a clear situation the bench should be in for defense. Instead no subs and we gave up a dunk in 4 seconds and lost in OT.

The coaching has been poor. We won’t use the bench in clear situations we should but Symir is 5 for 13 from the FT line so he has to sit.
I get it. As a lowly volunteer coach myself I have kicked myself in retrospect for not moving players in and out of a game freely. When you are not a super talented team, you really need to look at your bench as assets and identify what can they bring to a game. It may not be scoring...it could be fouls, roughing up the opponents big man, shot blocking, great screen setter, defense, who knows. I had a kid that I'd put M2M on the ball while the rest of the team sat in zone. He was a turnover machine! I think that dimension is missing from Syracuse. It always has been, but it's been worse in recent years. It's an all or nothing proposition, either you are in, or likely you are out, and if you are sort of in, it's going to be limited in almost a pre-set way. Maybe with most of the Syracuse teams that was the winning formula, but I think what is frustrating is this team doesn't have the talent level to support it and there is not a demonstrable talent delta between most starters and some of the bench guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom