My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Watched this one at home. Long story. It was a shame to miss an away game so close to CNY.

Yes, the broadcast of the game was of low quality. The camera people looked like they did not have experience covering football games. They were faked out too often. The director chose a bad shot and we lost continuity a number of times. The color guy, a former Colorado TE named Fauria, offered no insight into what was going on, was not familiar with either team and half of what he was able to offer as commentary was wrong. He didn’t even know some rules.

The woman doing play by play was bad too. I think you need to go through the process to become a fit broadcaster for football. I know the kids at Newhouse sit in the stands with a tape recorder (probably just a phone these days) and their own homemade charts and broadcast games live repeatedly early during their time at SU and get critiqued by professors. It was clear she was not familiar with football, either football team or anything related to the game. It was bad. As others have pointed out, thank god we have better people for all the other games. Poor UConn fans have to deal with this garbage the rest of their lives. Ugly.

I thought the UConn defense was not awful. They shut down Tucker pretty consistently. Looked like their game plan was to take him away, try and contain Shrader, try and force SU into passing situations and make Garrett beat them with good passes. Essentially the same approach UL took. Like UL, this was not successful.

Garrent has gone from completing just over 50% of his passes last season to close to 75% this season. Why?

One clear reason is he has improved his accuracy. The latter part of last season, his arm was pretty much gone, and he didn’t much much arm strength or accuracy.

It is clear his arm is stronger this year and vastly more accurate.

Then there is the improved play of the OL. There has been a pass rush sometimes and Garrett has been flushed from the pocket occasionally, but for the most part, he has had the time to make his throws. If there is a breakdown, it is usually with Dakota Davis. He is playing out of position at RT and he isn’t quite fast enough to handle a rough rusher but he has been adequate. Now that the crazy run of illegal procedures has gone away, hopefully forever (mostly on Carlos), the only issue I am seeing are some holds on Dakota. Anyway, overall this group a huge improvement over what happened the last couple of years. The rest of the line has been good. Bergeron has been great and looks to be a lock for all conference.

Lastly, the WRs are going open consistently. It has been common in the first two games for more than one WR to be wide open on the same play. That NEVER happened with the old offense. I think a lot of the credit goes to the much better scheme Coach Anae has brought here. And some credit needs to go to our WRs. They are overall, bigger, faster, tougher and stronger than the last couple of years. Credit to Coach Anae, Coach Johnson and to the WRs themselves.

Of course, UL and UConn are not great defensive teams. We will be playing much better defenses down the road, starting on Saturday with Purdue. But this is good to see.

I am watching the WR group closely this year, with great interest. Very interested to see how things develop and who emerges here. Thought Gadsden and Hatcher had the highest ceilings going in but to date, Hatcher is not in the rotation. Looks likely Tucker is going to lead the team in receptions. If not he, I think Cooper is going to be the guy. Dino says the lead receiver will be the one who gets tightest with the QB. From where I am seeing, it looks like Cooper might be that guy. Courtney has the most experience and receptions going into the season so he needs to be considered as well.

I think Mang is struggling as the lead blocker for Sean. Think this is a big reason Sean’s numbers since Rhino went down are not terrific. Hope he gets it down the road. When Dino says there is no replacement for Rhino, it is not coach speak. I wonder if Hoeh might get a chance here down the road. Would not be surprised if Cruz starts getting some run with the first team at RT as well.

Good to see the second team get some playing time on offense. Del Rio-Wilson looked very impressive in limited minutes. The guy has a gun and can run. That is a nice combo to work with. Adams had a chance and made a big play. As did Isaiah Jones and Dan Villari. Love it.

Thought we played well defensively. We were aggressive attacking the young QB. Maybe got burned a couple of times doing this but we also disrupted things a lot for them with late movement and stunting. Garrett continues to play like a AA. Yes, his coverage is top notch but his run support has also been great and he hustles all over the field, making plays he shouldn’t be making. Thought pretty much everyone played well. The play of the safeties is noticeably better than last year. Carter has stepped up his game. Barron too. Clark is a special athlete and even when he gets out of position, he has a way of recovering well. Simmons got some run, and Hanna continues to split time at Rover. All of them had good moments.

It was nice to be able to play the second team defense a lot. They played pretty well. Jeremiah Wilson and Isaiah Johnson made big plays from the corners. Folk was terrific. Sparrow jumped the line and almost killed a UConn RB. Not unlike what Wax did to the poor UConn QB on that blind side hit. It looks to me as though we have some players on the second team defense that are ready to contribute if they are called upon. Depth is improving.

Special teams were good. The ‘Bergs’ were solid. Aussie punter Max Von Marburg had a quiet but consistent day. Looks like he gets rid of it quick and has a strong leg.

Brady Denaburg, the true frosh whiz kid PK from Florida, made his debut (I think; maybe he kicked off against UL). He showed a booming leg and I though he was really impressive. Would hate to burn his RS year just kicking KOs but field position is important and it might be worth it. Looks like he is the heir apparent when Andre completes his eligibility at the end of this season. Andre, BTW, looked great last night.

Looks like we are using a ton of starters on offense and defense on the coverage units, and they have looked really good so far. No question we are emphasizing special teams a lot more than in the last couple of years and I think this is a very good thing.

Good effort. Very good start to the season. No injuries I can remember, though it looked like Shrader might have had a cramp or something going on with a hammie at one point. Purdue is a big game for this program. They are the best team we have faced to date. It will take an excellent effort to beat them.

Anyone know a spot for a replay? CBS app doesn’t have replay of game

I am in Charlotte visiting my son. I was talking to a friend of his yesterday. She looked at my Syracuse t shirt and said, “I’ve got a neighbor whose son plays for Syracuse. Football. His last name is Williams.“ I said, “Say what?” She said, “Yes, I think his son’s first name is Garrett.” I shouted, “GARRET INTERCEPTION IN THE END ZONE WILLIAMS?” She said, “I think so. He sent me a picture. His daddy talked him into playing this year because he wanted to leave. He goes to every game.”

Oops.

Well, we scored a lot of points and crushed them, so pretty much the same thing, right?

:oops:
If you can find the link it would be appreciated ... we traveled to the game and didn't record it. Tried finding it last night and got nothing but subscription scams. Thx, 0-79.

Anyone know a spot for a replay? CBS app doesn’t have replay of game

Excuse my ignorance but the Orange All Access doesn't give you recorded games?

I checked everywhere I could. Looks like there isn't even a replay of the game for an opportunity to record.

Special teams were good. The ‘Bergs’ were solid. Aussie punter Max Von Marburg had a quiet but consistent day. Looks like he gets rid of it quick and has a strong leg.

Brady Denaburg, the true frosh whiz kid whiz bang PK from Florida, made his debut (I think; maybe he kicked off against UL). He showed a booming leg and I though he was really impressive. Would hate to burn his RS year just kicking KOs but field position is important and it might be worth it. Looks like he is the heir apparent when Andre completes his eligibility at the end of this season. Andre, BTW, looked great last night.
FIFY Opera Man style.

I am in Charlotte visiting my son. I was talking to a friend of his yesterday. She looked at my Syracuse t shirt and said, “I’ve got a neighbor whose son plays for Syracuse. Football. His last name is Williams.“ I said, “Say what?” She said, “Yes, I think his son’s first name is Garrett.” I shouted, “GARRET INTERCEPTION IN THE END ZONE WILLIAMS?” She said, “I think so. He sent me a picture. His daddy talked him into playing this year because he wanted to leave. He goes to every game.”

Excuse my ignorance but the Orange All Access doesn't give you recorded games?

I checked everywhere I could. Looks like there isn't even a replay of the game for an opportunity to record.
The rights for the game are held by CBS Sports. I don't think the ACC Digital Network or SU can post this content legally.

And since the CBS Sports Network does not appear to be posting the games they have televised, we may be out of luck here. I checked to see if they are going to show a replay out a couple of days and did not see one scheduled.

Bummer.

The rights for the game are held by CBS Sports. I don't think the ACC Digital Network or SU can post this content legally.

And since the CBS Sports Network does not appear to be posting the games they have televised, we may be out of luck here. I checked to see if they are going to show a replay out a couple of days and did not see one scheduled.

Bummer.

I do have it recorded from Saturday so if anyone wants to look at anything. Just holler.

I think we play a lot of starters on specials - it's good but always makes me nervous. I think GS improvement stems from a lot of reasons including use of Gadsen in hybrid TE role at least giving us that dimension of the 5-8 yard completion.

OL and DL are still my biggest concerns and I want to see our safety's hold up against an organized passing scheme like we will see this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom