My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Gotta be brief but I will jot down a few things...

Yes, it was a disaster. 15 baskets in a game? Wow.

That said, our defense is vastly improved this season. If we were just average on offense, we would have been right in this game until the end. The kids are way more athletic, engaged and they play hard possession after possession. They fight through screens and for the most part, do a good job maintaining focus. Huge improvement over last season. If you can play defense, you should be able to have a chance to win most games.

There is a lot of film out on Judah and teams have made adjustments. They are over playing the drive, looking to pick up charges, over playing his right hand side, and bodying him up/playing him physical.

Judah is a different player when played this way. I think he will make adjustments. He missed the chance to against Bryant. I think he made some progress in the second half against Illinois but he has a lot of work to do here. I think he will get there but it is going to take time. It is a big leap from HS to college, especially for a PG who is being asked to be the focal point of the offense from day one.

Jesse is doing a phenomenal job rebounding. Far beyond what I thought he was capable of. Thought he did a good job avoiding fouls too today. It is tough to rebound hard and not pick up a bunch of fouls, but he did it. His defense was really good as well. He scared the crap out of the Illinois players in the paint and forced them to focus on attacking us from the outside.

We are trying to feature him on offense and doing a lot better job getting him the ball. Props mostly to Judah for that. Benny is doing well here most of the time too. But Jesse is not doing a great job finishing. Lots of shots when spinning away from the basket, way off balance. He takes too much time, doesn't feel the defender well and takes too many charges. And he misses too many bunnies...ranging from layups to open 4 foot jumpers. Just seems to be playing a bit too tight.

But most of all, he needs to develop a go to move. Hope it comes together for him soon because I don't see anyone else stepping up to help much on offense.

JGIII strikes me as a guy who has overachieved greatly in his career, largely fueled by great self confidence and confidence from his coach.

That confidence is gone now and so is his game. Not how you want your senior to lead. I hope he gets his act together. Things are coming to a point where if he doesn't turn it around fast, he might stop getting playing time. This is a seminal moment in Joe's career at Syracuse. I hope he finds his way out of this. I don't blame JB. He has shown a lot of patience and confidence in Joe to date. It is a sad situation.

That said, our defense is vastly improved this season. If we were just average on offense, we would have been right in this game until the end. The kids are way more athletic, engaged and they play hard possession after possession. They fight through screens and for the most part, do a good job maintaining focus. Huge improvement over last season. If you can play defense, you should be able to have a chance to win most games.

There is a lot of film out on Judah and teams have made adjustments. They are over playing the drive, looking to pick up charges, over playing his right hand side, and bodying him up/playing him physical.

Judah is a different player when played this way. I think he will make adjustments. He missed the chance to against Bryant. I think he made some progress in the second half against Illinois but he has a lot of work to do here. I think he will get there but it is going to take time. It is a big leap from HS to college, especially for a PG who is being asked to be the focal point of the offense from day one.

Jesse is doing a phenomenal job rebounding. Far beyond what I thought he was capable of. Thought he did a good job avoiding fouls too today. It is tough to rebound hard and not pick up a bunch of fouls, but he did it. His defense was really good as well. He scared the crap out of the Illinois players in the paint and forced them to focus on attacking us from the outside.

We are trying to feature him on offense and doing a lot better job getting him the ball. Props mostly to Judah for that. Benny is doing well here most of the time too. But Jesse is not doing a great job finishing. Lots of shots when spinning away from the basket, way off balance. He takes too much time, doesn't feel the defender well and takes too many charges. And he misses too many bunnies...ranging from layups to open 4 foot jumpers. Just seems to be playing a bit too tight.

But most of all, he needs to develop a go to move. Hope it comes together for him soon because I don't see anyone else stepping up to help much on offense.

JGIII strikes me as a guy who has overachieved greatly in his career, largely fueled by great self confidence and confidence from his coach.

That confidence is gone now and so is his game. Not how you want your senior to lead. I hope he gets his act together. Things are coming to a point where if he doesn't turn it around fast, he might stop getting playing time. This is a seminal moment in Joe's career at Syracuse. I hope he finds his way out of this. I don't blame JB. He has shown a lot of patience and confidence in Joe to date. It is a sad situation.
I applaud your positivity. I don’t agree with most of it but I applaud it. The one thing I would push on is JBs support for Joe. I would call it a stubborn refusal to try alternatives. That stubbornness over the last half a decade has produced a woeful record by our standards and a nearly complete loss of faith by the fanbase. Without getting specific there have been far too many guys on roster that are simply not the caliber we have come to expect or need. The stubborn refusal to acknowledge this has put us where we are. Joe is just the best example of this but there are many more. It is time for JW to own the situation.

Gonna echo AZ on the positivity piece. It's not easy to do and not sure many of us have the patience left to keep that mindset.

Last night I think the dam broke. Listening to Fran, on national TV, break down the regression and state of the program is a major deviation from what you have heard the talking heads say over the past few years where the tournament runs were highlighted and regular season somewhat ignored or lightly referenced. Fran was channeling many things a lot of us on the board have said and currently feel. Those closer to the man not just the coach I'm sure are pained to see this unfold and hate the criticism. It's no bowl of peaches sharing that criticism for those of us who know what things were like in the best of times which lasted a long time.

That said when the longtime well respected stalwarts in hoops speak up- you've lost that buffer of your history/reputation protecting your present.

I applaud your positivity. I don’t agree with most of it but I applaud it. The one thing I would push on is JBs support for Joe. I would call it a stubborn refusal to try alternatives.

What are these "so-called" alternatives?

We can't make a trade with another school. We can't pick up a SG off the free agent wire and sign him to a 10 day contract.

Your only options are Taylor and Copeland.

Taylor played 23 minutes last night, and made two baskets. Which is 3 more minutes than Joe got.

Maybe change is coming. I can see Joe getting a quick hook, and Taylor being the 1st guy off the bench.

I don't even need to add a take. This captures how I feel too.

Great observations.

I liked that JB mixed the lineups around. I do think Justin Taylor offers more than some others, with his size, ability to shoot, and ability to drive. Would like him to be a focal point.

Overall though, the offensive execution is extremely bad and degrading. We need to be able to run sets and generate shots against any team, I don't care how old or experienced the opponent.

JG needs to realize it is rock bottom and shoot his way out. Shooters gotta shoot. If he is not shooting, he cannot accomplish much. I thought he did a better job of moving around and at least trying to get open.

Cuse_MBB instagram needs to do a better job with their highlights. They featured Mintzs dunk, which was his only basket for 90% of the game, and Hima's dunk, which was our last FG before Illini scored the next 20. But, not one of Edwards, who was the shining star.

Without getting specific there have been far too many guys on roster that are simply not the caliber we have come to expect or need ...
... to implement the head coach's defensive and offensive philosophies.

Agree with everything and this what I keep coming back to every season. These are, for the most part, the wrong guys for the system. No doubt some of them could be effective elsewhere. Although the counterpoint is most of the players who have left haven't set the world on fire elsewhere. Roster has been a mess.

We can't make a trade with another school. We can't pick up a SG off the free agent wire and sign him to a 10 day contract.

Taylor played 23 minutes last night, and made two baskets. Which is 3 more minutes than Joe got.

Maybe change is coming. I can see Joe getting a quick hook, and Taylor being the 1st guy off the bench.
There were alternatives we had on campus and recruits we missed on directly related to these issues. It’s not just about who is on the team currently.

It’s also the steadfast refusal to expand offensive or defensive philosophies.

I guess we are what we are at this point. A below average squad, looking forward to “next year” then lamenting the portal activity. Wash rinse repeat

This is a great thread and some interesting thoughts. Somethings we need to look back to find out what the plan was compared to what is happening right now. Last year we had no bench/back up help how did that happen? The portal had dozens and dozens of players to select from and we failed miserably in participating. SU basically had 5 people who played 40 minutes with scarce substitutions and no one else getting experience for this season. How can that happen? Look no further than Illinois last night. Illinois rebuilt exclusively via the portal with new starters and are ranked 16th in the nation. IMHO we need to go ALL OUT to get a point guard or two who can handle the ball, director the offense, pass effectively, and shoot well - in that order. It's all chaos on nearly every possession this year. If we don't get a prominent PG for next year prepare for more glaring vulnerabilities. PLEASE go all out to recruit a high school all-american guard or the next best thing.

Pretty scathing takes on the current state of the program from Fraschilla, including telling Syracuse fans that based on what he sees on the court, it will not be getting any better than last year. I was also surprised he shared that JB apparently told him the night before at dinner that if he was 50 right now, he'd go to the NBA. To me, that tells you all you need to know about JB's appetite for recruiting at this point of his career.

Last edited:
i'm not gonna write off joe yet. he has to figure out his new role. and that's not jacking up 20 shots.with proper guard rotation he should have enuf legs to at least make an effort on D. he still is an outside threat and has enuf handle to bring the ball up court. pass more and shoot less. and be a vocal leader.

To borrow a phrase, It's all about recruiting, stupid.
We don't have the horses. All the rest is just rearranging chairs on the Titanic.
Judah is not our savior. If Torrence could get his scoring back he would be our best pg. He is the only only one who can take care of the ball and facilitate.

Last edited:
Fran crushed Cuse in 2019 when they played Ok State in Brooklyn. He's speaking like an NYC guy that is accustomed to Syracuse being much better than what they have displayed recently.

To borrow a phrase, It's all about recruiting, stupid.
At this time, there is no recruiting on the horizon. The coaches need to pull another Edwards, Marek or Judah out of the thin air and hope for the best.

Agree on Joe. Additionally I would add that he had been the 3rd guy behind Buddy and Cole. This year he is the main 3 point guy (at least he had been before the current 2-25 shooting slide). Opponents know that if you shut him down, you will beat the Orange. In the last three during this slide he is averaging 3 pg on 8% shooting -- it is no coincidence that all 3 games were losses. Joe has had three good games this season -- Lehigh, Northeastern, Richmond -- all were wins. I detect a pattern here.

At this time, there is no recruiting on the horizon. The coaches need to pull another Edwards, Marek or Judah out of the thin air and hope for the best.
With the transfer portal, it is easier to transform a team and address weaknesses than it has ever been before.

All you need to do is look at what Illinois has done.

If anything, our issues getting HS players for the class of 2023 might help us when/if we hit the portal. Which I assume (hope) we are going to do very hard.

I also applaud your positivity, and respect greatly your takes. I am just sad for everyone, fans, players ,coaches, most students and some faculty but not many.. I don't see a way out of this one for JB. NOBODY stays to develop anymore in college sports and what is the plan for JB with 7 frosh?? I honestly dk why he didn't retire with K and with his two sons leaving. Maybe he didn't want to over shadow K, maybe he didn't want to be predictable, and maybe its that he is just stubborn & proud and thought he could coach his way to a decent finish. I will defend JB forever but he certainly isn't making it ez. The whole athletic dept appears to me to be a mess. We(family) are involved w the dept. on a very very tiny scale, and from what I've seen, it is NOT impressive, and I do have the context of knowing that it once was impressive. Someone has to do something up there and quickly, before we turn into Boston freaking college athletics with a decent soccer club and women's hockey. Please someone...

I applaud your positivity. I don’t agree with most of it but I applaud it. The one thing I would push on is JBs support for Joe. I would call it a stubborn refusal to try alternatives. That stubbornness over the last half a decade has produced a woeful record by our standards and a nearly complete loss of faith by the fanbase. Without getting specific there have been far too many guys on roster that are simply not the caliber we have come to expect or need. The stubborn refusal to acknowledge this has put us where we are. Joe is just the best example of this but there are many more. It is time for JW to own the situation.

Joe got 20 minutes last night so I think JB is past "being loyal". He's got options and if uyo0u aren't helping the team, he'll search for someone who will.

Joe was never the focal point of the offense before. His first 3 years he was on teams where the defense focused heavily on stopping other players. This year he's the focal point and the guy other teams gear to stop. And it's not hard to stop a 6'1 guard who can only catch and shoot and is terrible at putting the ball on the floor. He's no threat to drive so it's relatively easy to just get in his grill and deny his shot or force him further and further out to take bad shots which is why his percentage is so poor. That's what we're seeing.

Is Bell at the 2 an option? If he's not going to rebound, make him a guard...

Going to use this to touch on a few different threads, so this isn't all directed at OP.

Mintz is a lead guard. I can't believe anyone is thinking to put Joe at lead guard. Look at the current crop of lead guards in the NBA and if you still think lead guards want to be CP3 instead of Steph Curry, you aren't following closely. Did Joe play it over the last few years? Yep. How many losses did we have over those years?

Mintz' issue is that the tape on him is out there. He has to navigate the help defense that's coming when he's beating the primary defender off the dribble. To be clear, him being able to beat a defender off the dribble is better than what others can do on the roster. He isn't there yet but will get there. BTW, he will def be on the draft radar come spring, so if he leaves, don't be surprised. Hope he doesn't.

Joe has been and is limited both in size, athleticism and ability in terms of playing at this level, especially at the demand JB has utilized him at. He improved last year when Buddy the center of the universe for the offense.

I would strongly consider giving JT much more time at the 2 and live with what happens so their is experience for next year and let him also flex down to the 3.

Bell is still a net negative until he can do more than be a two dribble inconsistent shooter.

JBA shouldn't be playing.

Jesse is good, but is not a low block player. He's not strong enough or have the fundamentals to consistently do it. He keeps getting bullied, gets worn out and getting offensive fouls called on him when he's trying to get position.

I honestly would try to run PnR with Jesse and Judah and try to spread the floor with shooters, whoever is on that game.

We should be playing for the future at this point. Joe has had every opportunity to show out during his career and that runway should have been shut down long ago. JBA seems like a great teammate, but every minute he's playing is a net negative to the future of the program.

Focus on Jesse and Judah, give opportunities to the young guys, play relaxed. Next focus, for me, would be on JT and Brown. Until Bell wants to literally do anything else besides shoot even remotely better than "poorly", he should be benched.

But all of this is stomping out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire. We all know this. And until their is a fundamental adjustment in the program-level strategy and roadmap, we're sitting here talking about how to improve on the margins.

Last edited:
Joe was never the focal point of the offense before. His first 3 years he was on teams where the defense focused heavily on stopping other players. This year he's the focal point and the guy other teams gear to stop. And it's not hard to stop a 6'1 guard who can only catch and shoot and is terrible at putting the ball on the floor. He's no threat to drive so it's relatively easy to just get in his grill and deny his shot or force him further and further out to take bad shots which is why his percentage is so poor. That's what we're seeing.
Waters made a good point on the radio a few minutes ago. Said that the move to the 2 sounded great in theory, but now Joe is being guarded by bigger SGs instead of relatively small PGs. Buddy could shoot over those types of players. Joe cannot

Waters made a good point on the radio a few minutes ago. Said that the move to the 2 sounded great in theory, but now Joe is being guarded by bigger SGs instead of relatively small PGs. Buddy could shoot over those types of players. Joe cannot
Joe simply doesn't have the footspeed or endless stamina to run from screen to screen. Last night he tried and was getting zero separation and he was having to work harder than the speedier defender following him.

On the flip- the tape of how to guard him on the ball is clear too. Extend the defense and hedge on the high ball screen and he can be trapped and give up his dribble quickly. His limitations are often out of his control.

People realize that this isn't pickup basketball?

This isn't like "I'm the two guard, so I HAVE TO GUARD JOE GIRARD NOW ON DEFENSE".

That isn't how any of this works and is such a fundamentally flawed way of looking at defensive strategy, it's mind boggling.

Do people really think teams are more scared of Judah or Joe?

Do people really think you need "bigger" guys on JGIII?

This is not the way D1 P5 defenses are constructed. It's lazy analysis.

People realize that this isn't pickup basketball?

This isn't like "I'm the two guard, so I HAVE TO GUARD JOE GIRARD NOW ON DEFENSE".

That isn't how any of this works and is such a fundamentally flawed way of looking at defensive strategy, it's mind boggling.

Do people really think teams are more scared of Judah or Joe?

Do people really think you need "bigger" guys on JGIII?

This is not the way D1 P5 defenses are constructed. It's lazy analysis.
Some fans here have watched the zone too long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom