My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Watched Georgetown against Siena earlier in the week. They were bi-polar that game too. Looked like a careless team that didn’t care if they won or lost for much of the game but they turned it on late, played quality defense, got a lot of baskets in transition and beat them easily. They looked big, strong and fast and I was worried they were going to be a big problem.

And they were. For the first 5 minutes of the game. Probably more like the first 7 or 8 minutes.

We fell behind 9-0, looking tight and sloppy. Next thing you know, we were down 17-6. Judah was forcing shots, the offense was a mess, and the Hoyas were destroying our zone.

JB did some wholesale substituting. Symir came in. JBA came in. The vets settled us down. We started to get quality shots. The defense improved dramatically. We got our share of rebounds.

Judah was sent back in pretty quickly, and after seeing what was going on, he came back in a different player. He clearly was looking to penetrate and looking to set players up for baskets. Especially Jesse, who he has not fed the ball to very much thus far this year.

He did a great job dicing up the Hoya defense. They had number 0 cover him (Murray I think) and I suspect he was their best defender. Judah is a handful when he is on, and he got Murray in foul trouble. Getting him out just made things worse for the Hoyas. Judah continued to do damage and Syracuse was able to get Qudus in foul trouble as well. Very nice work executing what I assume was a key JAB objective. For the first time this season, I saw Judah actively looking for his good friend Benny, and he hooked him up with good passes to get easy looks several times. Good to see.

Judah wasn’t the only one looking to get the ball to Jesse though. JBA started hanging out around the high post and seemingly every time he touched the ball, he looked to get it to Jesse. The guy covering JBA had been rotating over and doubling Jesse early in the game (when Benny was in) but JBA up top, Qudus was left by himself to defend Jesse and we went high low to Jesse a lot, to great effect.

It got so bad for Georgetown that Ewing actually went to a 2-3 zone for a while, trying desperately to keep Murray and Qudus in the game. It was a crappy version and Syracuse destroyed it. It was at this point, I am pretty sure I heard Hoya Saxa’s brain explode, all the way from his mother‘s basement in DC. I assume he has stopped following Georgetown and is now a Duke fan. If this game killed him, RIP Saxa. No one will miss you.

Good to see JGIII playing like a senior leader again. Good to see Benny playing productive minutes. Sy settled the team down and got the offense running again. Bell had some moments and I think Hima deserves a lot of praise for his work once Jesse made a foolish 2nd foul around the 8 minute mark of the first half. Hima came in, and Syracuse did not miss a beat. His defense was terrific, he shut down the paint and made contributions rebounding and on the offensive side. What a great upgrade over Frankie. How fortunate for us that we have Hima in the fold.

But the hero of this game was Jesse. I think it was the last game where I mentioned that Jesse made a couple of face to the basket jumpers for the first time (at least in my memory). Well, it wasn’t an aberation against a bad team. He made a few more yesterday against a guy his size. He also threw down a few dunks and made his usual assortment of driving baskets (nice use of the glass). And I believe he had 2 blocks of jumpers from way in the far corner. I think that was what really impressed Pat.

Great game. Excited for the rest of the season.

Taylor also came in during that early come back and really contributed to moving the ball around. He has a good ball handle, is constantly on the move and represents another shooting threat. Perhaps a bit too unselfish in not shooting when he has the chance, but it does open things up for others..

I enjoyed the segment of the 1st half when they climbed out of the early double digit deficit with Joe on the bench.

Jesse made a few really nice buckets; a one-hander on the baseline, a bank shot from the low block that looked like vintage Bill Walton at UCLA. He has great dexterity. He's playing really well right now.

Jesse made a few really nice buckets; a one-hander on the baseline, a bank shot from the low block that looked like vintage Bill Walton at UCLA. He has great dexterity. He's playing really well right now.
He did.

THese days, he gets doubled almost immediately every time he has the ball. If he has an opening, he takes it and shoots. But he’s doing a really good job of feeling the doubl tteam, finding the open man, and hitting him when he does not have a quality look.

This Is what big time AAs do.

Very impressive.

Last edited:
He did.

THese days, he gets doubled almost immediately every time he has the ball. If he has an opening, he takes it and shoots. But he’s doing a really good job of feeling the doubl tteam, finding the open man, and hitting him when he does not have a quality look.

This Is big time AAs do.

Very impressive.
All-Amsterdam's? :)

Watched Georgetown against Siena earlier in the week. They were bi-polar that game too. Looked like a careless team that didn’t care if they won or lost for much of the game but they turned it on late, played quality defense, got a lot of baskets in transition and beat them easily. They looked big, strong and fast and I was worried they were going to be a big problem.

And they were. For the first 5 minutes of the game. Probably more like the first 7 or 8 minutes.

We fell behind 9-0, looking tight and sloppy. Next thing you know, we were down 17-6. Judah was forcing shots, the offense was a mess, and the Hoyas were destroying our zone.

JB did some wholesale substituting. Symir came in. JBA came in. The vets settled us down. We started to get quality shots. The defense improved dramatically. We got our share of rebounds.

Judah was sent back in pretty quickly, and after seeing what was going on, he came back in a different player. He clearly was looking to penetrate and looking to set players up for baskets. Especially Jesse, who he has not fed the ball to very much thus far this year.

He did a great job dicing up the Hoya defense. They had number 0 cover him (Murray I think) and I suspect he was their best defender. Judah is a handful when he is on, and he got Murray in foul trouble. Getting him out just made things worse for the Hoyas. Judah continued to do damage and Syracuse was able to get Qudus in foul trouble as well. Very nice work executing what I assume was a key JAB objective. For the first time this season, I saw Judah actively looking for his good friend Benny, and he hooked him up with good passes to get easy looks several times. Good to see.

Judah wasn’t the only one looking to get the ball to Jesse though. JBA started hanging out around the high post and seemingly every time he touched the ball, he looked to get it to Jesse. The guy covering JBA had been rotating over and doubling Jesse early in the game (when Benny was in) but JBA up top, Qudus was left by himself to defend Jesse and we went high low to Jesse a lot, to great effect.

It got so bad for Georgetown that Ewing actually went to a 2-3 zone for a while, trying desperately to keep Murray and Qudus in the game. It was a crappy version and Syracuse destroyed it. It was at this point, I am pretty sure I heard Hoya Saxa’s brain explode, all the way from his mother‘s basement in DC. I assume he has stopped following Georgetown and is now a Duke fan. If this game killed him, RIP Saxa. No one will miss you.

Good to see JGIII playing like a senior leader again. Good to see Benny playing productive minutes. Sy settled the team down and got the offense running again. Bell had some moments and I think Hima deserves a lot of praise for his work once Jesse made a foolish 2nd foul around the 8 minute mark of the first half. Hima came in, and Syracuse did not miss a beat. His defense was terrific, he shut down the paint and made contributions rebounding and on the offensive side. What a great upgrade over Frankie. How fortunate for us that we have Hima in the fold.

But the hero of this game was Jesse. I think it was the last game where I mentioned that Jesse made a couple of face to the basket jumpers for the first time (at least in my memory). Well, it wasn’t an aberation against a bad team. He made a few more yesterday against a guy his size. He also threw down a few dunks and made his usual assortment of driving baskets (nice use of the glass). And I believe he had 2 blocks of jumpers from way in the far corner. I think that was what really impressed Pat.

I was hoping you would mention the guy who sang the N.A. Not only was he superb, but I would anoint him with the "Don't judge a book by its cover" award. We are used to pretty good renditions, but this guy had a world class voice.

I enjoyed the segment of the 1st half when they climbed out of the early double digit deficit with Joe on the bench.

Did you enjoy it when he came back in down 17-14 and then….from the Cuse.com article.

“The Orange answered with a 17-3 run that featured 6 points from Girard and 4 from Edwards”.

“The slam sparked a 12-0 run which pushed SU’s advantage to 41-30. Girard had a 4 point play that keyed the stretch”.

“Back to back 3 pointers by Girard and Bell pushed the lead to as high as 13”.

I would think that Jesse should be able to continue his solid (really good) play and hopefully Joe will play more like he has the past couple of games - I don't think that's asking too much, provided that other players are producing. I have no doubt Judah will only improve throughout the season. Having JBA and Symir as difference makers who can come in when needed is a huge benefit.

In my mind, the keys to getting into bubble discussion later in the season will be how consistent Benny plays, whether Taylor can continue to find a way to contribute and make a difference with minutes he gets, and if Bell either picks it up (last night was better) or is replaced by someone who can. The latter being the most important because Bell is often a black hole. I also look forward to seeing much more of Brown!

Did you enjoy it when he came back in down 17-14 and then….from the Cuse.com article.

“The Orange answered with a 17-3 run that featured 6 points from Girard and 4 from Edwards”.

“The slam sparked a 12-0 run which pushed SU’s advantage to 41-30. Girard had a 4 point play that keyed the stretch”.

“Back to back 3 pointers by Girard and Bell pushed the lead to as high as 13”.

Exactly. He came back into the game and scored 12 points in the final 9 minutes of the half.
You know how many people on here are going to lose their minds when at the end of this year Joe is 2nd or 3rd all-time in 3pointers made while also in the top 15 in all-time scoring. And IF he were to use his Covid year, he will most likely end up 1st in 3pointers and also 1st in career scoring (of course with an asterisk)

Jesse's 2 corner blocks on 3 pt attempts were awesome.
Now that it’s on tape, however, a good coach will instruct his shooter to pump fake and drive with Jesse literally leaving the basket unprotected.

Now that it’s on tape, however, a good coach will instruct his shooter to pump fake and drive with Jesse literally leaving the basket unprotected.

In the first one Taylor was under the basket and in the second one Benny moved under the basket.

Drawing fouls is a special gift. Ed Pinckney used to put pressure on entire front lines due to his quirky gifts. Judah seems to have that ability.

In the first one Taylor was under the basket and in the second one Benny moved under the basket.
It’s great when Jesse skies up to block those corner shots. You get the crowd reaction. But how many times have we vilified and ridiculed the coach for asking the center to cover the corner 3? When the center is flying out of bounds they are now playing 5-on-4. A couple good passes at that point will lead to a good shot.

Jesse’s athleticism would be better served jumping straight up near the basket to distract the shooters field of vision.

It’s great when Jesse skies up to block those corner shots. You get the crowd reaction. But how many times have we vilified and ridiculed the coach for asking the center to cover the corner 3? When the center is flying out of bounds they are now playing 5-on-4. A couple good passes at that point will lead to a good shot.

Jesse’s athleticism would be better served jumping straight up near the basket to distract the shooters field of vision.

I've never vilified the coach for asking the center to cover the corner 3 and in each case the ball was knocked out of play.
They were 2 awesome plays and I enjoyed the heck out of them.
Both prevented 3 pts, why complain about them?

Kornet Kontest!

I've never vilified the coach for asking the center to cover the corner 3 and in each case the ball was knocked out of play.
They were 2 awesome plays and I enjoyed the heck out of them.
Both prevented 3 pts, why complain about them?
I offered a solution that Vermont also pointed out. Jesse would be great at this.

Because if he’s not on the floor, no one on the defense will ever leave the paint.
How were they able to score so efficiently without him on the floor then?

Not suggesting Joe shouldn't play at all. I thought in general he was good after the start.

But he did have a -5.8 BPM for the game. Just facts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom