My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Another short one (damned work).

Yes, that was hard to watch. Not as bad as watching 8 year old kids trying to play soccer but close.

We have a bunch of guys who can score but not many that look to pass. Joe did pass it some at times to Jesse, especially in the second half, but while our offense is actually reasonably good (scorers we have), it is not pretty to watch.

Judah only seems to pass it if he loses his dribble and gets double teamed. So many times when he starts to drive, defenders react and pull off their guy to help out and all he needs to do it look and he can pass it and get a dunk (usually to Jesse) but once he gets into the paint, he is shooting it. I hope at some point, he sees the film, a light goes on and he starts taking advantage of the doubles.

Judah is a huge talent. He is awesome at getting into the paint. He is going to get doubled his whole college career. But he has to recognize when the double comes and find the open man. He can't beat a double at this level consistently. If he can develop this ability, he is going to go from a good player to a great one.

In a crazy game, there were no one who was wackier than JGIII. He made a lot of big plays and a number of bad plays too. I did not keep track but it seemed like he had 4 or 5 shots blocked, all on shots near the basket. At some point, I think he needs to realize he can't make contested shots up close and needs to dribble out or pass out when he is in these positions. But credit to him for having the stones to keep playing hard and keep working even when bad things were happening. He played a huge role in getting the win and honestly, I think a big reason why he has been able to stay confident in situations like this is the confidence JB has shown him.

We really missed Symir out there. I hope his injury is not serious and he is able to play against UVa. Having a pass first player on the court is, I think, very important for this group of gunners.

Jesse got bodied up and pushed just a bit outside his range and he is different player when he is unable to get into his favorite areas to score. Good job by the UL bigs here. He missed a lot more shots than he normally does but he didn't let it affect his rebounding, specifically on the defensive end, where it often seemed only he (and JGIII) were trying to get rebounds.

Wish Brown got more PT but I can see why JB didn't leave him in. He just doesn't look 100% committed out there. Hope he can step up in this next game, which will be a big one for he and Justin, who will both be playing close to home.

It is a shame Virginia lost last night. They are going to be angry and it is going to make it harder to get a win against them.

I hope we play well against them. You never know what these frosh are going to do.

It’s fine for Edwards to catch it outside the lane, but unless he can’t beat his guy to the rim in one dribble he needs to kick it out.
I agree - his whole process needs to be quicker. Establish position quicker. Decide on a move or a pass quicker, and you know what sometimes works the pass out and reposition.

For Edwards we should contact Kareem Abdull Jabbar to teach him the hook shot. Jesse has the feet be beat everyone off the dribble who guards him. With a Hook Shot he would be awesome.

1672850326255.jpeg

Overall, great game by Joe. That said, I cringe every time he in on a break and a defensive guy is closing on him. He doesn't know how to finish strong and instead goes up with a weak layup.

As ugly as that was last night, so good to win. This would have been a really bad loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom