My Take | Syracusefan.com

My Take

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Gonna be shorter than usual...another major blowout, not a lot of new insights to be made. That being said...

Crowd was announced at 25K; there were about 20K actually there. UB brought some fans; good for them. Pretty impressive for a program that was 3-27 last year. The students had a pretty good turnout, filled most of the sections in the lower level assigned to them. I think their best moments were near the end of the game, when they campaigned long and loud for legendary walk on and man about town Nolan Hart to enter the game.

The NA was sung by a quartet. They did a nice job; good arrangement. Well received by the crowd. I continue to be impressed by the talent SU is finding for the NAs.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about this game is that it was the first time TE got in early foul trouble. That meant early minutes and extensive playing time for Silent G in the first half. It was a big test for him and I am happy to report he passed it in flying colors. Hit a couple 3 pointers, did a competent job distributing the ball in the half court offense, kept his TOs down to a reasonable level and did a fine job in the SU press. More on that later.

DCII had a good game, had a double double, finished well around the rim and even had a couple of nice power dunks from close to the basket. He by and large hasn't been doing that and I think he needs to do more of it. His defense was reasonably good too. It was against poor competition but it is good to see improvement from him.

TC had another excellent night. Again, he is able to score a lot of points in a short period of time as well as anyone who has been in the program in some time.

JG rebounded with a solid game.

But maybe the most important development was the excellent play of CJ, who played a much smarter, more under control brand of basketball tonight. I suspect this was the first game for him in a while with no turnovers. Also hit a couple of 3s...I think he has been struggling from the 3 point circle for a while now, so this was good to see. Even had a good pass or two.

The 3 sons all got a lot of PT. Patterson continues to look like the most game ready of the bunch; he continues to make things happen in his limited playing time and is playing more under control, limiting his mistakes more than earlier in the season. Roberson seemed more active on the boards tonight, had some points and perhaps most importantly for him, his defense was better; I didn't see any major gaffes tonight. BJ right now is shooting the ball from the 3 point circle very aggressively and struggling some with his shot. He might want to add a dimension or two to his game, maybe pass it a little more, hit the offensive boards more, etc. The adjustment from HS to college ball is a big one. I think Buss is ahead of the others in large part to his playing at a prep school last season. They will all be fine players down the road.

When BMK gets a block, the replay scoreboard has started to show a short video featuring Baye smiling and shaking his index finger back and forth ala Dikembe, with some text over the video that says "Not in Keita's house". Pretty funny. If you haven't seen it, look for it next home game.

BU got off to a good start early and briefly held an 11-3 lead. JB called a TO only a couple of minutes into the game to put an end to this, SU immediately went on an 18-0 run and the rout was on. Much of that run was fueled by the SU press, which was devastatingly effective. Seemed like UB was unable to even get the ball to their half of the court for an extended period; I don't think they expected to be pressed.

I liked #3 on their team. If I were playing cards, I would keep that card and go fish for 12 more players. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am not projecting UB to be selected for the NCAA tournament this year. It is going to take an epidemic, maybe a couple of them, and a plane crash and a couple of bus crashes for that to happen.

Good stuff as always. The player on bing you mentioned is jordan reed. Good ball player. Being from nepa I follow bu some as my folks have season tickets there. Dempsey is doing a good job considering their bench was all walk ons last year as was one starter. I think they have a couple players but its going to take a few yrs as he is trying to rebuild the program the right way. It is a good academic school and I think he will turn the program around.

I've never seen Fair distribute the ball as well as he did last night. He had a couple terrific assists. This could really help the team if he can find an open man on a consistent basis.

Very surprised to learn that he was credited with no turnovers, though - in the second half, he attempted an entry pass from the near-side wing to a Syracuse player who was doubled and the ball was stolen. Guess the big was credited with the turnover; strange.

Thanks, Tom! Too bad I couldn't watch the replay of the game. (My "too bad" is dripping with venom.)

This no-showing of our OCC games has got to be fixed next year!

everyone's beat Cornell, literally.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Cornell at 0-10, and ranked like 335 out of 351 on Sagarin. What the heck happened to them so fast?

I love the Baye/Mutombo video - they showed it last game too. But shouldn't they have made it "Not in Baye's House!"?

Thanks Tom for the good report.

Minor correction -- JB called the time-out at 3-3; didn't have much effect as Binghamton pushed it out to 11-6. Then, we reached the inside 4 minutes break, and after that JB went to the press.

As for the frosh, Roberson & BJ have the thinnest arms you are likely to see in two SU players on the court at the same time. It is the same problem for both -- physically, it is tough to compete until they fill out, and taking long-range shots won't compensate. Both have high potential, for next year and beyond. Yes, Roberson was more active -- also showed a very nice stroke on his free throws, which suggests he will also be effective from mid-range.

Patterson is a different story -- he can compete this year, has shown some progress, made a pass or two, makes things happen on the court, often good things. Interesting to see a combination with Cooney at the point, and Patterson at 2G. Might not happen in any game other than a walk-over.

Gonna be shorter than usual...another major blowout, not a lot of new insights to be made. That being said...

Crowd was announced at 25K; there were about 20K actually there. UB brought some fans; good for them. Pretty impressive for a program that was 3-27 last year. The students had a pretty good turnout, filled most of the sections in the lower level assigned to them. I think their best moments were near the end of the game, when they campaigned long and loud for legendary walk on and man about town Nolan Hart to enter the game.

The NA was sung by a quartet. They did a nice job; good arrangement. Well received by the crowd. I continue to be impressed by the talent SU is finding for the NAs.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about this game is that it was the first time TE got in early foul trouble. That meant early minutes and extensive playing time for Silent G in the first half. It was a big test for him and I am happy to report he passed it in flying colors. Hit a couple 3 pointers, did a competent job distributing the ball in the half court offense, kept his TOs down to a reasonable level and did a fine job in the SU press. More on that later.

DCII had a good game, had a double double, finished well around the rim and even had a couple of nice power dunks from close to the basket. He by and large hasn't been doing that and I think he needs to do more of it. His defense was reasonably good too. It was against poor competition but it is good to see improvement from him.

TC had another excellent night. Again, he is able to score a lot of points in a short period of time as well as anyone who has been in the program in some time.

JG rebounded with a solid game.

But maybe the most important development was the excellent play of CJ, who played a much smarter, more under control brand of basketball tonight. I suspect this was the first game for him in a while with no turnovers. Also hit a couple of 3s...I think he has been struggling from the 3 point circle for a while now, so this was good to see. Even had a good pass or two.

The 3 sons all got a lot of PT. Patterson continues to look like the most game ready of the bunch; he continues to make things happen in his limited playing time and is playing more under control, limiting his mistakes more than earlier in the season. Roberson seemed more active on the boards tonight, had some points and perhaps most importantly for him, his defense was better; I didn't see any major gaffes tonight. BJ right now is shooting the ball from the 3 point circle very aggressively and struggling some with his shot. He might want to add a dimension or two to his game, maybe pass it a little more, hit the offensive boards more, etc. The adjustment from HS to college ball is a big one. I think Buss is ahead of the others in large part to his playing at a prep school last season. They will all be fine players down the road.

When BMK gets a block, the replay scoreboard has started to show a short video featuring Baye smiling and shaking his index finger back and forth ala Dikembe, with some text over the video that says "Not in Keita's house". Pretty funny. If you haven't seen it, look for it next home game.

BU got off to a good start early and briefly held an 11-3 lead. JB called a TO only a couple of minutes into the game to put an end to this, SU immediately went on an 18-0 run and the rout was on. Much of that run was fueled by the SU press, which was devastatingly effective. Seemed like UB was unable to even get the ball to their half of the court for an extended period; I don't think they expected to be pressed.

I liked #3 on their team. If I were playing cards, I would keep that card and go fish for 12 more players. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am not projecting UB to be selected for the NCAA tournament this year. It is going to take an epidemic, maybe a couple of them, and a plane crash and a couple of bus crashes for that to happen.

BU not UB. Guss they are less concerned with being confused with Boston University than the University. Don't know why they did away with the SUNY tags.

I've never seen Fair distribute the ball as well as he did last night. He had a couple terrific assists. This could really help the team if he can find an open man on a consistent basis.

Very glad to hear this. Clearly he read my complaint/comment about him from last game. We all know this though.

Very glad to hear this. Clearly he read my complaint/comment about him from last game. We all know this though.

Now if only he'd read the thread about his fading away and turning easy jumpers into difficult ones. He'd be scoring 4-6 more points each game.

Seriously, though, the passing was nice to see. Opens up a ton of possibilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom