My thoughts on this season | Syracusefan.com

My thoughts on this season

David332

All American
Going into this season as new fans (second year) and as first time STH, we couldn’t be happier. When I adopted Syracuse as my team after the 2020 season, I was expecting much heartache for a long time. Instead what happened was a very exciting 5-7 2021 season with a team that was much better than their record.

This season got off to an obviously amazing start. Going in and looking at the schedule, I knew we would have to dominate the first half of the schedule before hitting the gauntlet that was the second half. My thoughts were we would need to go 4-2 to squeak out a 6-6 finish.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine a 6-0 start and being ranked in the CFP in early November. The injuries and 5 game skid were hard but overall I am more than pl34sed.

Some final thoughts..

- NC State win was absolute insanity, I’m blessed to have experienced the Dome at its best.

- Love the North Manley Crew, so glad to have found our tailgate home.

- Being STH is awesome, and having the same seat neighbors every game is awesome. No other place like being in the Dome. Winning the STH pregame tunnel experience was surreal. Thank you SUAD.

- My feelings about Dino are complicated, but I’m content with him going forward. I think we just have to take the good and the bad with him, and there’s more good than bad.

- The buildup and anticipation of wondering what and where our bowl game will be is fun, I’ve never experienced this before and it’s exciting. I’m so happy for the players and us fans to have this. Honestly, we should have been bowling last season so this is much deserved. Half of our losses that year were by a FG.

- I hope Sean returns and goes after some all time RB records and makes history, but I will support whatever decision he makes and will continue to follow his career if he goes to the NFL next year.

- This board is fantastic and from what I can see, is the best in college football. Better than what any SEC fanbase has which is crazy when you think about it.

- Never expected my wife to be as big of a fan as me but she is, so it’s awesome to be able to bond with the same hobby. I’m so glad to be Orange

Going into this season as new fans (second year) and as first time STH, we couldn’t be happier. When I adopted Syracuse as my team after the 2020 season, I was expecting much heartache for a long time. Instead what happened was a very exciting 5-7 2021 season with a team that was much better than their record.

This season got off to an obviously amazing start. Going in and looking at the schedule, I knew we would have to dominate the first half of the schedule before hitting the gauntlet that was the second half. My thoughts were we would need to go 4-2 to squeak out a 6-6 finish.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine a 6-0 start and being ranked in the CFP in early November. The injuries and 5 game skid were hard but overall I am more than pl34sed.

Some final thoughts..

- NC State win was absolute insanity, I’m blessed to have experienced the Dome at its best.

- Being STH is awesome, and having the same seat neighbors every game is awesome. No other place like being in the Dome. Winning the STH pregame tunnel experience was surreal. Thank you SUAD.

- My feelings about Dino are complicated, but I’m content with him going forward. I think we just have to take the good and the bad with him, and there’s more good than bad.

- The buildup and anticipation of wondering what and where our bowl game will be is fun, I’ve never experienced this before and it’s exciting. I’m so happy for the players and us fans to have this. Honestly, we should have been bowling last season so this is much deserved. Half of our losses that year were by a FG.

- I hope Sean returns and goes after some all time RB records and makes history, but I will support whatever decision he makes and will continue to follow his career if he goes to the NFL next year.

- This board is fantastic and from what I can see, is the best in college football. Better than what any SEC fanbase has which is crazy when you think about it.

- Never expected my wife to be as big of a fan as me but she is, so it’s awesome to be able to bond with the same hobby. I’m so glad to be Orange

You sir are a great fan and a good person. Excellent post.

Wish I could like this post more than once. Really glad to have you on the board and as a season ticket holder. Syracuse has a passionate crew and while the board gets negative at times, it's truly a special place. And even when we struggle, being a football STH is still a great deal in my opinion. It's a fun way to spend some fall weekends. And we never have to worry about the weather.

I'm curious, what led you to become a fan? Did you recently move to the area or have family attend the university? As you pointed out it wasn't due to our recent level of success.
I’ve always preferred college football over the NFL (especially since I don’t watch sports on Sundays) but didn’t have my own team. For the longest time I was under the impression that you had to go to your team’s school or have some other type of direct connection.

I thought this because some people unfortunately think like this; even now many people ask if we went to Syracuse and when I say no they ask why we’re fans. This is an odd phenomenon that I think only happens in the Northeast. I now go on to explain to them that many, if not most college football fans aren’t alumni and that both groups need each other and collectively come together as one fanbase.

So finally I decided I’m going to pick Syracuse and have them be my team, no matter what. It’s the regional team even though I’m two hours East. It’s upstate New York and FBS so Syracuse is the natural choice for us due to geography. Basically I picked them just like how most people pick their NFL team.

And then last year we went to the Dome for the first time, overtime loss against Wake. After (heck even during) that game we were transformed into what I would call true fans. I say that because our connection to Syracuse became more organic. My wife asked how much season tickets were on the way home.

We went to a second game that year (win against BC) and put our deposit down for ST as soon as it came out.

Now we’re obsessed.

Dave you get bonus points for not cheering for the Bills. Remember, that city and its insufferable tax base would love nothing more than to erase all Syracuse sports programs from existence.

I’ve always preferred college football over the NFL (especially since I don’t watch sports on Sundays) but didn’t have my own team. For the longest time I was under the impression that you had to go to your team’s school or have some other type of direct connection.

I thought this because some people unfortunately think like this; even now many people ask if we went to Syracuse and when I say no they ask why we’re fans. This is an odd phenomenon that I think only happens in the Northeast. I now go on to explain to them that many, if not most college football fans aren’t alumni and that both groups need each other and collectively come together as one fanbase.

So finally I decided I’m going to pick Syracuse and have them be my team, no matter what. It’s the regional team even though I’m two hours East. It’s upstate New York and FBS so Syracuse is the natural choice for us due to geography. Basically I picked them just like how most people pick their NFL team.

And then last year we went to the Dome for the first time, overtime loss against Wake. After (heck even during) that game we were transformed into what I would call true fans. I say that because our connection to Syracuse became more organic. My wife asked how much season tickets were on the way home.

We went to a second game that year (win against BC) and put our deposit down for ST as soon as it came out.

Now we’re obsessed.
Awesome. Welcome to the obsession

Some final thoughts..

I enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing

Now we’re obsessed.
Very cool.

Dave you get bonus points for not cheering for the Bills. Remember, that city and its insufferable tax base would love nothing more than to erase all Syracuse sports programs from existence.
Ha! Actually I come from a long line of NYG fans, both my father and grandfather were die hard Giants fans. There’s even a picture of me with a Giants bib on covered in pasta sauce when I was only a few months old.

My Dad use to joke that he would send Scott Norwood a Christmas card every year (though I doubt he did lol) as a thank you.

So if I had to pick a NFL team it would be the NYG for family tradition, but I just can’t get into the NFL like I do college football. Part of me feels guilty about that but I can’t help it. I do watch MNF every week though. I’ll also probably become very interested in whichever team Tucker goes to, but wouldn’t become a fan of that team, just him.

All I have room for in my heart is one football team and that’s the Orange.

Hold on a second now. Perhaps I just got caught up in the moment. My apologies. I'll just use the beer for what God intended.

There’s always the non North Brewery stuff there that Cusenewbie brings

Just asking that if you dump it on me, make sure it’s by my face where I can open my mouth and drink it hahahaha

Now we’re obsessed.
I am a native CNYer that now lives in the south. I grew up during the great years of the late '80's and '90's so I was naturally drawn to SU. The assumption that you attended the school you're a fan of isn't limited to the northeast. Most people down here assume I went to SU when they find out I'm a fan. I think it's actually stronger here because the large state schools have so many alumni-fans. Welcome to SU fanhood. I hope that soon you get to experience what I did through my school and college age years.

Last edited:
One thing that is pretty good that is not directly related to football is the Dome itself. I think maybe that had something to do with it you know the two sellouts that we had I'm not exactly sure but a lot of games were pretty much almost filled up and you know that just means more money for us which is good so look I mean like I said before, they spend money, continued investment into ther bball, & football program and eventually I think you're going to make your money back anyway, if you do it right so you have nothing to lose and everything the gain

Some final thoughts..

Welcome to the island of misfit toys

Attachments

• 046ECA6E-69E3-4B8B-BC4C-58FD2D996BC1.jpeg
    046ECA6E-69E3-4B8B-BC4C-58FD2D996BC1.jpeg
    649 KB · Views: 38
One thing that is pretty good that is not directly related to football is the Dome itself. I think maybe that had something to do with it you know the two sellouts that we had I'm not exactly sure but a lot of games were pretty much almost filled up and you know that just means more money for us which is good so look I mean like I said before, they spend money, continued investment into ther bball, & football program and eventually I think you're going to make your money back anyway, if you do it right so you have nothing to lose and everything the gain
Punctuation is your friend. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom