My Thoughts

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Needs/Propects

Safety

Duron Singleton FS
Dontell Vercher SS
Simeon Thomas FS

The first two guys are teammates at Fresno CC. Visited SU together. Both loved it here. Vercher visited Wisconsin last weekend. I do not believe he verbaled there. Might have a package deal here.
Simeon did not visit here last weekend. I assume that means we are out but George McDonald can apparently be very persuasive. No way we take all 3. Don't see how we have room to take 2 but I think we will make room to get the D's from FCC.

Defensive End

Malik Brown
Marquise Blanchard

Malik is our top choice at DE. Marquise is the fall back guy, I think. Ramar Dennis ended up verballing to Jacksonville State yesterday. Grades might have been a issue?

Linebacker

Reggie Spearman

To me, Spearman is the best guy left on the board. I love his film. If we get him, I am going to be a happy guy. Wow, what an athlete.

Don't know who the backup is here but surely there is one.

Running Back

I think Laray Smith was asked to show his commitment to SU football and to football in general this past week and declined, prompting SU to go another direction. Does this mean William Stanback gets a late offer? Does McDonald pull another Florida rabbit out of a hat, this time at RB? Does Nico Gambil come to the fore?

Offensive Lineman

Top choice here appears to be Kendall Moore. Backup plan is Tate Briggs?

The next couple of days will be interesting ones.

Also, I added a link under the Additional Content drop down on the recruiting board to access the SU football recruiting Twitter feed...

It's pretty amazing how different the outlook looks at OL than it did a few weeks ago, where it seemed like we missed on all our top prospects--especially at OT.

Burton might turn out to be a diamond in the rough, and Miller was a quality get as a short termer. Hayes and Moore [fingers crossed] are all on the new staff. If we land these four, it will really make for a solid haul, and it addresses the need to bring in a pair of OTs to groom for the future.

I feel most confident about Moore. Singleton and spearman we have a good shot too. If we happen to miss on them though I wouldn't mind just seeing them pocket the scholarships until next year when this staff has a whole recruiting cycle. I think the fall backs could just clog up space for 4-5 years

The Smith saga is fortunately/unfortunately still unresolved, a lot of pressure down in NYC for him to ultimately end up at SU.

Laray will probably end up quitting football in a year to focus on track. I think we should cut bait.

Nice writeup Tom.

IMO, our biggest recruit at this point is Spearman, hands down. We need a LB in a bad way.

Spearman would be a very high quality replacement for Devan Carter in this class.

Laray will probably end up quitting football in a year to focus on track. I think we should cut bait.
Yeah, you just get the feeling he'd be happier as a track athlete.

Spearman would be a huge upgrade over Carter.
Spearman would be a huge get but don't sell Carter short. Once he is switched to LB, he'll be a good one.

I think if you had a choice to be a fball or track guy with a 1% chance of going to the NFL and a 1% chance of going to the olympics why play fball unless you really love it.

The Smith saga is fortunately/unfortunately still unresolved, a lot of pressure down in NYC for him to ultimately end up at SU.

Do you actually know this or are you just speculating?

IU has a nice track program...middle of pack in B1G, but not at UO's level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom