my two cents | Syracusefan.com

my two cents

kcsu

Living Legend
I thought that the guys played a great game against a very good team. I was very impressed with the job that Dino and his two new coordinators did against a very tough matchup. As everyone knows we were down our best players on both sides of the ball. To out play and out coach MN given what we have been through this offseason is really impressive. So much so that i hope that JW extends Dino now. His handling of losing both coordinators and key players to the draft and portal is all i need to see to know that the players and coaches respect him and believe in him. In today's NIL and portal world Dinos CEO skills far outweigh his weaknesses.
As to game i was impressed with Beck and Swags game plan and in game coaching/Calls. I thought that Beck called a great game and got the most out of limited talent. Allen is a stud something that most of us knew but other than him it was really the play calling of Beck that moved the ball. If we can find another WR and TE watch out as he will move the ball. Shrader was very good as well. Sure the Pick was the game but the kid played well and led this team. We need him next year as his legs are a game changer for us. They are as important a piece as we have on O and make everything else possible. On D we obviously missed our studs. The Dbs did a good job but the drop off was significant in run support.

This off season in addition to what we have already signed we need to find another RB. If Allen goes down we are in major trouble. To me this is more important than any other position. WR would be nice but i have a feeling that the young guys are going to step up. On D another game ready LB would be nice but other than that i think we are in good shape. Thank God we are bringing in a punter.

Bottom line this team and staff is trending up. I like what i see and im impressed with Dino. His strength is his culture and the respect he has from the kids. He has done an excellent job under tough conditions and i want him to finish what he has finally going. Beck is a stud and i think that Swag is going to be a heck of a DC whenever Rock hangs em up.

Wild ride this year. I expect the same next. Last point did we get a great bowl for our record or what. Nice job by JW.

Hate seeing the season end. Can't wait for next year. Go Orange.

Hear, hear!

The other wide out is named Isaiah Jones. If Gadsden, Jones, Allen, and Shrader are all in a game together, we are cooking.

I am fearful, as you are, that Allen will not last a full season... better hope one of these freshman are good.

Hear, hear!

The other wide out is named Isaiah Jones. If Gadsden, Jones, Allen, and Shrader are all in a game together, we are cooking.

I am fearful, as you are, that Allen will not last a full season... better hope one of these freshman are good.
We really could use one. Maybe the kid from New Mexico is good but either way we are thin.

It struck me as kind of frightening this year that a program like UConn had a deeper RB room than we did. That can’t stand.

For RB, Ike Daniels coming in next year is supposed to be good. However obviously unproven.
Both of the frosh are highly thought of so maybe we will be ok. Id just like to see us bring in another runner with experience.

Love Allen and curious how well he'll do in the short yardage situations when all the big uglies are in.

As for the talented freshmen coming in, they'll have to block and that often is tough for them since many haven't done that before.

I thought that the guys played a great game against a very good team. I was very impressed with the job that Dino and his two new coordinators did against a very tough matchup. As everyone knows we were down our best players on both sides of the ball. To out play and out coach MN given what we have been through this offseason is really impressive. So much so that i hope that JW extends Dino now. His handling of losing both coordinators and key players to the draft and portal is all i need to see to know that the players and coaches respect him and believe in him. In today's NIL and portal world Dinos CEO skills far outweigh his weaknesses.
As to game i was impressed with Beck and Swags game plan and in game coaching/Calls. I thought that Beck called a great game and got the most out of limited talent. Allen is a stud something that most of us knew but other than him it was really the play calling of Beck that moved the ball. If we can find another WR and TE watch out as he will move the ball. Shrader was very good as well. Sure the Pick was the game but the kid played well and led this team. We need him next year as his legs are a game changer for us. They are as important a piece as we have on O and make everything else possible. On D we obviously missed our studs. The Dbs did a good job but the drop off was significant in run support.

This off season in addition to what we have already signed we need to find another RB. If Allen goes down we are in major trouble. To me this is more important than any other position. WR would be nice but i have a feeling that the young guys are going to step up. On D another game ready LB would be nice but other than that i think we are in good shape. Thank God we are bringing in a punter.

Bottom line this team and staff is trending up. I like what i see and im impressed with Dino. His strength is his culture and the respect he has from the kids. He has done an excellent job under tough conditions and i want him to finish what he has finally going. Beck is a stud and i think that Swag is going to be a heck of a DC whenever Rock hangs em up.

Wild ride this year. I expect the same next. Last point did we get a great bowl for our record or what. Nice job by JW.

Hate seeing the season end. Can't wait for next year. Go Orange.
You really want Baber's extended now? I would wait and see what happens next year. Make a decision then.

It struck me as kind of frightening this year that a program like UConn had a deeper RB room than we did. That can’t stand.

They also ran the ball 2x as much as they threw it. They barely averaged over 100 yards passing a game. So some of that is the offense he has them running.

His ending up with zero timeouts at the end of both halfs alone is reason enough to not want to extend him.

This makes no sense.

Dino has not been the best on the clock historically, but in this game he did exactly what any other coach would do, and it led to a TD before half and not his fault they called a Holding penalty on our guy for what looked like a good block in the 4Q which meant we still needed 2 scores with 5 mins to go, so call your TOs when they have the ball.

Can't agree here.

You really want Baber's extended now? I would wait and see what happens next year. Make a decision then.
I do and ive been very critical of him. My reasoning is that his number one strength is very much needed in todays environment. Now that he has hired solid X and O coaches his ability to connect with the kids is critical. Guys like Doug and P wouldn't cut it at SU today. There would be a mass exodus. Dino is by all accounts really liked and respected by the players and their families. That is extremely important.

I do and ive been very critical of him. My reasoning is that his number one strength is very much needed in todays environment. Now that he has hired solid X and O coaches his ability to connect with the kids is critical. Guys like Doug and P wouldn't cut it at SU today. There would be a mass exodus. Dino is by all accounts really liked and respected by the players and their families. That is extremely important.
We can't have a 5 win season then. I can see them flopping as they did the year after Dungey left and we were ranked!

no more bandwagon extensions he has proven not much as of yet lets see next year. i am not convinced that his ego is in check either.

no more bandwagon extensions he has proven not much as of yet lets see next year. i am not convinced that his ego is in check either.

his ego in check? Interesting

I doubt that his ego will ever be in check.

He’s liked so well that we came in last in recruiting in the ACC.Last year we were #12 on most guys transferring out and this year I don’t know the ranking but we lost quite a few.

This makes no sense.

Dino has not been the best on the clock historically, but in this game he did exactly what any other coach would do, and it led to a TD before half and not his fault they called a Holding penalty on our guy for what looked like a good block in the 4Q which meant we still needed 2 scores with 5 mins to go, so call your TOs when they have the ball.

Can't agree here.

He used his TOs fine. I think the 1st TO in the 1st half was a mistake though. A 3rd and 8 is too easy to convert and then Minny has 3 TOs and 2 mins to go 40 yards for a FG try. Luckily we got a sack on that next 1st down. Then Minny went back into time wasting mode.

The way it played out we would have gotten the ball back with the same amount of time left. That 1st TO would have been used after the second 3rd down instead. If Minny hadn't converted that first 3rd down and the clock did not stop, we can then use a TO and get the ball back with 2 mins and 2 TOs (or 3 TOs had they gone out of bounds or had an incompletion). That is plenty of time to score. Did we really need to risk a 3rd and 8 conversion giving them a chance to score so we in turn have 2:30 and 1 TO instead of 2:00 and 2 TOs?

Overall I thought Beck was good. I do think his 3rd and 4th down calls in the 1st half were poor. It is his first game though so plenty to be excited about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom