My Upside Lineup..... | Syracusefan.com

My Upside Lineup.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
I am not saying that the following lineup should be our starters, nor am i saying that they will reach their upside this season, just that in the course of their careers at SU, that these are the players with the most potential at their positions:

Center - I do not see a lot of upside for Sid with his injury history or for Marek playing out of position. Jesse is a huge unknown; therefore, my biggest upside center is JBA with the potential of his three point shooting to add a totally new dimension to our O. Hopefully the rebounding and D can hold up well enough for his position.

PF - I will go with Oshae who has proven much, but still has plenty of room to improve his shooting and finishing at the rim. If he leaves, Bras has all the tools.

SF - Elijah - he had a very successful first season, room to improve his handle and add more dimensions to his game.

2G - Guerrier - he can potentially be a solid three point shooter, enuf to supplant Buddy, and he adds athleticism and handle and should be able to translate that to solid D.

PG - This one is easy for me, it is Goodine. he can shoot, he is athletic, and hopefully he can continue his development as a solid passer.

Others not mentioned:

Jalen - didn't impress at all as a frosh. too soon to give up on him, but a modern PG needs to hit some treys and that is his achilles heel even if the rest of his game came together.

Joe G - limited by size and athleticism. If somehow he could become another Frechette that would be a deal changer.

Buddy - Deadeye three point shooter, good size. I like his forays into the lane, but he has to finish on those 10 footers instead of stopping and kicking (unless he has drawn two defenders). he will be very good, but i just don't see as much upside as i do for QG.

Washington - love the kid, but just too limited athletically. If he could hit threes like buddy then he would have a shot.

Guerrier isn’t coming here to play the 2. He’s a forward. We have a logjam of guards right now as it is - playing a forward at the 2 is not only unnecessary, but would certainly cause a chemistry issue with the guards who get passed over.

Other than that, I agree with most of what you said here.

Guerrier isn’t coming here to play the 2. He’s a forward. We have a logjam of guards right now as it is - playing a forward at the 2 is not only unnecessary, but would certainly cause a chemistry issue with the guards who get passed over.

Other than that, I agree with most of what you said here.

In my upside lineup, I think you have to get both QG and Elijah on the court. They may well be interchangeable between SF and 2G. I would have no problem flipping QG to SF and Elijah to 2G.

If Oshae leaves then we could talk about QG at the PF position v Bras with Buddy @ 2G, but that might not be enuf size up front.

I'm sure Goodine has a lot of potential at his position of PG and in time will be a very good player. We think or hope that many kids coming in have lots of potential. Take Carey for example before his freshman year. One year shouldn't diminish that. Jalen has lots of potential still to realize, so his upside could end up just as much, who knows, maybe more than Goodine or whoever the next kid is that we hope comes in to give us fans anticipation and excitement for the next season. Let's hope they all pan out and get a chance to realize their worth and skill asap.

I'd rather our centers not try to be like that Golden State fella from 3. Whatever happened to a 6-9 to 7 footer with his arms out with feet planted on the floor only being another 12 inches from 2 points?

Carey
Hughes
Guerrier
Brissett
God help us (jba)

Well-respected folks here seem to think Oshae is gone. I do, too. (To where, well that’s his dream to chase...) I see Guerrier starting at forward assuming OB exits stage left.

Carey
Buddy
Elijah
Guerrier
Marek

I think this is a realistic line-up we will see even if OB doesn't leave. I am sure the new Cs will be on a short leash and it is hard to play center in the zone. Even if Sidibe is healthy, he will probably have 2 fouls in 2 minutes.

1: Goodine
2: Buddy
3: Guerrier
4: OB
5: JAB
If OB leaves Hughes at 3, Guerrier at 4.

I think this is a realistic line-up we will see even if OB doesn't leave. I am sure the new Cs will be on a short leash and it is hard to play center in the zone. Even if Sidibe is healthy, he will probably have 2 fouls in 2 minutes.

If OB stays, he’s starting.

If OB stays, he’s starting.
I never said starting line-up. I think the big upside is that we can have this discussion given the level of young talent coming in. I think JB will have the pieces next year to pull Hughes/Buddy for an extended period if he is having a cold shooting night or pull OB if he starts chucking 3s when only 10 seconds into the shot clock. I hope QG/Goodine can be the high energy 6th/7th men and play a role like Dion off the bench.

Guerrier ain’t playing the 2.
Agree with this.

At center, pretty sure all 3 guys will play. Defense is so important for us at C. Who will be our best defensive player there?

Marek does some things well here but his struggles rebounding are exacerbated trying to play center and I have given up hoping he will ever bulk up. I think JBA gets the start and 20 minutes a game here, with MD playing 15 and BS 5.

Let’s assume OB is gone first. If so, I think EH and QG start, with QG getting the starting job from day one. JB likes to do that with talented frosh. EH plays 35 minutes a game. QG plays 25. MD plays 15 more here. We play 3 guards 5 minutes a game...

If OB returns, EH plays 30 minutes. OB plays 25 minutes and QG does not start and plays 20 minutes. No 3 guard lineup. MD plays C exclusively, but plays 20 minutes and BS gets no PT.

At guard, I think Carey is going to be a lot more comfortable and productive playing for us at the 2. But looking at the team, you have one decent but very limited outside shooter in EH (he can’t shoot jumpers unless wife open). I hope he learns to shoot off the dribble and can learn to get his shot off quicker but suspect he will improve here only modestly.

So I think the team needs a second reliable outside shooter, preferably one who can shoot off the dribble or off a screen. BB has proven he can do this. I think he gets 30 minutes.

Let’s assume OB is gone and he gets 25 at G and 5 at F. JC gets the other 15 at SG. I think Goodine is our best bet and the starter at PG because of his superior athletic ability on offense and defense. He will need to be sat and yelled at and will get in some foul trouble but I think he gets 25 minutes a game. Let’s say JC plays 5 minutes at PG and JG3 gets 10 minutes a game at PG.

If OB returns, shave 5 minutes from BB’s PT.

Don’t see HW getting meaningful PT.

If JBA can play offense at the high post, hit some jumpers from there and make some
entry passes, it would help us. Hope Marek can do this too and leave the low post for slashers, especially QG, JC and OB, if he comes back.

Last edited:
Agree with this.

At center, pretty sure all 3 guys will play. Defense is so important for us at C. Who will be our best defensive player there?

Marek does some things well here but his struggles rebounding are exacerbated trying to play center and I have given up hoping he will ever bulk up. I think JBA gets the start and 20 minutes a game here, with MD playing 15 and BS 5.

Let’s assume OB is gone first. If so, I think EH and QG start, with QG getting the starting job from day one. JB likes to do that with talented frosh. EH plays 35 minutes a game. QG plays 25. MD plays 15 more here. We play 3 guards 5 minutes a game...

If OB returns, EH plays 30 minutes. OB plays 25 minutes and QG does not start and plays 20 minutes. No 3 guard lineup. MD plays C exclusively, but plays 20 minutes and BS gets no PT.

At guard, I think Carey is going to be a lot more comfortable and productive playing for us at the 2. But looking at the team, you have one decent but very limited outside shooter in EH (he can’t shoot jumpers unless wife open). I hope he learns to shoot off the dribble and can learn to get his shot off quicker but suspect he will improve here only modestly.

So I think the team needs a second reliable outside shooter, preferably one who can shoot off the dribble or off a screen. BB has proven he can do this. I think he gets 30 minutes.

Let’s assume OB is gone and he gets 25 at G and 5 at F. JC gets the other 15 at SG. I think Goodine is our best bet and the starter at PG because of his superior athletic ability on offense and defense. He will need to be sat and yelled at and will get in some foul trouble but I think he gets 25 minutes a game. Let’s say JC plays 5 minutes at PG and JG3 gets 10 minutes a game at PG.

If OB returns, shave 5 minutes from BB’s PT.

Don’t see HW getting meaningful PT.

If JBA can play offense at the high post, hit some jumpers from there and make some
entry passes, it would help us. HoprMarek can do this too and leave the low post for slashers, especially QG, JC and OB, if he comes back.

So, you’ve got our worst returning shooter playing his main minutes at the 2?

And a true Frosh Big beating out a Jr Big for major minutes?

Guess that could happen.
But - I won’t be holding my breath.

We have 2 proven scorers we know are coming back, and people keep pushing one to the bench. If he wasn't JB's kid, people would be salivating at 2nd year Buddy.

These projected starting lineups without BB in them have me scratching my head.

So, you’ve got our worst returning shooter playing his main minutes at the 2?

And a true Frosh Big beating out a Jr Big for major minutes?

Guess that could happen.
But - I won’t be holding my breath.
Doesn’t sound like you have been following basketball very long.

Carey will be our beat defender at guard and probably will be our best guard on offense against man defenses. He will be invaluable when we press and when we are able to run.

Not sure what you are trying say.

If you have better ideas, show some guts and post them.

We have 2 proven scorers we know are coming back, and people keep pushing one to the bench. If he wasn't JB's kid, people would be salivating at 2nd year Buddy.

Buddy seems a near lock to start unless one of the freshman guards is really good right away and Carey makes an enormous leap and passes him.

Doesn’t sound like you have been following basketball very long.

Carey will be our beat defender at guard and probably will be our best guard on offense against man defenses. He will be invaluable when we press and when we are able to run.

Not sure what you are trying say.

If you have better ideas, show some guts and post them.

Um, shooting guards should be able to shoot.
Especially in today’s game.
We can’t get away with a Stevie Thompson non-shooter at 2G -
and I’m the President of the Stevie Thompson fan club.
Is that 35 years of following SU hoops long enough? :rolleyes:

Until Carey proves otherwise, he can’t shoot.
So he can’t be a shooting guard.
I think he’s our PG, unless Goodine can beat him out.

And the number of times a Frosh Big has come in and taken most of the minutes from and upperclassman Big under JB...
... can probably be counted easily on 1 hard, with numerous fingers to spare.

So - 2 of the things you stated:
Carey lots of minutes at the 2, JBA ditto at the 5 - are both incredibly unlikely.

THAT is what I’m saying.
Again.

Um, shooting guards should be able to shoot.
Especially in today’s game.
We can’t get away with a Stevie Thompson non-shooter at 2G -
and I’m the President of the Stevie Thompson fan club.
Is that 35 years of following SU hoops long enough? :rolleyes:

Until Carey proves otherwise, he can’t shoot.
So he can’t be a shooting guard.
I think he’s our PG, unless Goodine can beat him out.

And the number of times a Frosh Big has come in and taken most of the minutes from and upperclassman Big under JB...
... can probably be counted easily on 1 hard, with numerous fingers to spare.

So - 2 of the things you stated:
Carey lots of minutes at the 2, JBA ditto at the 5 - are both incredibly unlikely.

THAT is what I’m saying.
Again.
Comparing Carey, who was an excellent outside shooter in HS and EYBL to Stevie, who might be the worst outside shooting guard in Syracuse history, tells me all I need to know about you.

A lot of players who were good outside shooters in HS struggle for a year or two shooting at the college level. It is a big jump up. It usually takes time to adjust.

I don't think Carey is a natural point guard. He is a natural scorer, not a distributor. I am not closing the book on his ability to shoot from the outside. I don't think you should either. I think he is always going to be more effective playing at the 2 than at point guard, though I expect he will get more comfortable at point over time.

I think you are under estimating JBA too. Defense and rebounding are important to JB. Time will tell.

I am not saying that the following lineup should be our starters, nor am i saying that they will reach their upside this season, just that in the course of their careers at SU, that these are the players with the most potential at their positions:

Center - I do not see a lot of upside for Sid with his injury history or for Marek playing out of position. Jesse is a huge unknown; therefore, my biggest upside center is JBA with the potential of his three point shooting to add a totally new dimension to our O. Hopefully the rebounding and D can hold up well enough for his position.

PF - I will go with Oshae who has proven much, but still has plenty of room to improve his shooting and finishing at the rim. If he leaves, Bras has all the tools.

SF - Elijah - he had a very successful first season, room to improve his handle and add more dimensions to his game.

2G - Guerrier - he can potentially be a solid three point shooter, enuf to supplant Buddy, and he adds athleticism and handle and should be able to translate that to solid D.

PG - This one is easy for me, it is Goodine. he can shoot, he is athletic, and hopefully he can continue his development as a solid passer.

Others not mentioned:

Jalen - didn't impress at all as a frosh. too soon to give up on him, but a modern PG needs to hit some treys and that is his achilles heel even if the rest of his game came together.

Joe G - limited by size and athleticism. If somehow he could become another Frechette that would be a deal changer.

Buddy - Deadeye three point shooter, good size. I like his forays into the lane, but he has to finish on those 10 footers instead of stopping and kicking (unless he has drawn two defenders). he will be very good, but i just don't see as much upside as i do for QG.

Washington - love the kid, but just too limited athletically. If he could hit threes like buddy then he would have a shot.
When was the last time that JB allowed an actual center to take a 3?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom