My Vanilla NN Post...... | Syracusefan.com

My Vanilla NN Post......

newmexicuse

All Conference
Well, satire led to a deleted thread.

So here is my serious NN post - why with all of our Newhouse graduates and near infinitely greater media presence as compared to KY & Gtown is there literally nobody outside of posters on this board who believes that NN will land at the Cuse ???

Do we have a delusional fan base here or a clueless media out there ???

Thoughts ...???

I know Syracuse fans don't want to hear this, but maybe these talking heads actually believe that Noel is not coming to Syracuse. Or maybe they're being fed a lot of bull by "sources".

What's the incentive for the Rothstein's of the world to lie about what they are hearing?

So here is my serious NN post - why with all of our Newhouse graduates and near infinitely greater media presence as compared to KY & Gtown is there literally nobody outside of posters on this board who believes that NN will land at the Cuse ???

Thoughts ...???
Think back to Fab recruitment. The media didn't talk about SU much, if at all. Francis has great sources in the industry. We have posters with INSIDE access. Albanycuse wouldn't post something he did not have well sourced and believe was solid, when posted. The media is calling people who don't know, and they are guessing. Coaches cant commemt. Until our quality recruiting guys say we are out, we are in

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

I know Syracuse fans don't want to hear this, but maybe these talking heads actually believe that Noel is not coming to Syracuse. Or maybe they're being fed a lot of bull by "sources".
A lot of these talking heads know as much as you and I do, brother

My guess is the perception is based on the "vacancy " factor at the 5 spot. KU- nil ,except Fellow frosh Willie Cauley,
G-town - Sims exited stage left. 'Cuse - Coleman, Keita are 5's Xmas 4/5. Hence, the possible perception that the cupboard is too full here. Besides, everyone knows somebody would have to be out of their mind to pick Syracuse over G-town or National Champion Kentucky :rolleyes:

I agree that Rothstein clearly knows nothing, so the question becomes, is Syracuse really 3rd in the pecking order or are these "sources" full of crap? I tend to believe the latter, but you never know.

What does it matter? They are not choosing a school. Noel is. It doesn't matter a whit what the talking heads are saying. The inferiority complex around here is astounding.

If NN was NOT coming here the pundits would be out there right now saying we are his top choice.

I swear this crap is giving me a brain tumor. Just be Wed already so I can celebrate or be briefly bummed and then start wondering about Ennis, Briscoe, Anya, and Johnson

I swear this crap is giving me a brain tumor. Just be Wed already so I can celebrate or be briefly bummed and then start wondering about Ennis, Briscoe, Anya, and Johnson

And Goodluck :)

Thoughts ...???

Just for thoughts think about this. You have a media savvy kid who waits until fall recruiting is over ,and reclassifies to 2012. Avoids all the hassle of the summer, and gets to play his season without problem, then plays all the pundits like a fiddle, and comes to syracuse like he wanted all along. He has said MCW is his best friend, and eveyone of the talking heads blows that away like no big deal,Yet also states he wants to feel comfortable and states JB and Hop make him feel that way.

Back in the day I would hang out with guys who professionally covered high school basketball recruiting at the Nike All Star Camp held ironically at Princeton U. Guys like Clark Francis, Brick Ottinger and a couple of others. Before massive TV coverage of high school basketball, Internet infancy, paid Internet web recruiting sites; theses guys relied most heavily for publishing rumors on college choice on three types of sources, the kid, parents/family/high school coach and assistant college coaches. The quid pro quo was the guys like a Tom Konchalski (just a hypothetical example, just met him once) 'who would see hundreds of kids in local gyms that the college asst coaches could never cover would give an opinion of kid's college potential and in return the assistant coaches would share what they knew about a prospect's college intentions, off the record. Now massive AAU exposure, televising of high school basketball, international junior competition, the Internet has changed the dynamic.

Think back to Fab recruitment. The media didn't talk about SU much, if at all. Francis has great sources in the industry. We have posters with INSIDE access. Albanycuse wouldn't post something he did not have well sourced and believe was solid, when posted. The media is calling people who don't know, and they are guessing. Coaches cant commemt. Until our quality recruiting guys say we are out, we are in

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

There's a general disrespect for our program in the media. Even though we've got all these grads out there. Doesn't make any sense, really. But they never think we are as good as other #1s, or that top recruits could ever possibly come here, or that Boeheim is even really a great coach.

Even less, apparently. Because if they just read the recruiting sites, they would know that we are on the inside track with lots of top recruits every year.

Back in the day I would hang out with guys who professionally covered high school basketball recruiting at the Nike All Star Camp held ironically at Princeton U. Guys like Clark Francis, Brick Ottinger and a couple of others. Before massive TV coverage of high school basketball, Internet infancy, paid Internet web recruiting sites; theses guys relied most heavily for publishing rumors on college choice on three types of sources, the kid, parents/family/high school coach and assistant college coaches. The quid pro quo was the guys like a Tom Konchalski (just a hypothetical example, just met him once) 'who would see hundreds of kids in local gyms that the college asst coaches could never cover would give an opinion of kid's college potential and in return the assistant coaches would share what they knew about a prospect's college intentions, off the record. Now massive AAU exposure, televising of high school basketball, international junior competition, the Internet has changed the dynamic.

Absolutely. It has also watered down the quality of recruiting info, at least with respect to college destinations, because the Internet creates its own kind of echo chamber. On the other hand, it's much easier to see video of top recruits and to evaluate them than it used to be. Back in the 90s, video on the Internet wasn't really available, and the technology wasn't up to it. It was still mostly a print medium. Hard to believe now, but back then saying that the Internet was going to be like private broadcast television was an outrageous thing to say.

I do miss when the information was more scarce and hence more valuable. I also miss the chance to sit with people like Clark Francis and Oettinger and all the AAU coaches. Sitting for 4 days at ABCD, talking to coaches and hearing how they evaluate players for several years was priceless. Great times. Made it so much more enjoyable to be a fan, to get an inside appreciation of how recruiting works.

There's a general disrespect for our program in the media. Even though we've got all these grads out there. Doesn't make any sense, really. But they never think we are as good as other #1s, or that top recruits could ever possibly come here, or that Boeheim is even really a great coach.

I don't believe there's a general disrespect for our program in the media. I just think we have a particularly insecure and paranoid fan base.

I don't believe there's a general disrespect for our program in the media. I just think we have a particularly insecure and paranoid fan base.

Were you living in a cave this past basketball season, or did you just not watch the national TV coverage?

Were you living in a cave this past basketball season, or did you just not watch the national TV coverage?
With any high profile and newsworthy program like ours, there will naturally be detractors in the media. That comes with the territory. That doesn't constitute a "general disrespect" in my opinion. But if someone chooses to see only that side of things, I guess you could believe that.

If the columnists didn't claim varying opinions, they wouldn't be able to write a story. No story, no job. Everyone agreeing on the same general scenario would really be plain vanilla.

With any high profile and newsworthy program like ours, there will naturally be detractors in the media. That comes with the territory. That doesn't constitute a "general disrespect" in my opinion. But if someone chooses to see only that side of things, I guess you could believe that.

When was the last time you heard any other #1 ranked team in the nation spend 6 weeks with all the announcers and studio people questioning whether or not we deserved it, and who really was more talented ?

It wasn't until Bilas wrote his piece for ESPN in 2010, talking about why the zone is a great defense for us that announcers finally stopped putting it down, ala igor.

We aren't the first team to have off-court scandals during the season. When was the last time you saw a national sports writer like that guy at Fox write multiple articles about how it would be better for the NCAA if that team was eliminated from the tournament ?

When was the last time you heard any other #1 ranked team in the nation spend 6 weeks with all the announcers and studio people questioning whether or not we deserved it, and who really was more talented ?

It wasn't until Bilas wrote his piece for ESPN in 2010, talking about why the zone is a great defense for us that announcers finally stopped putting it down, ala igor.

We aren't the first team to have off-court scandals during the season. When was the last time you saw a national sports writer like that guy at Fox write multiple articles about how it would be better for the NCAA if that team was eliminated from the tournament ?

Matt, I think we notice the media scrutiny more when it hits close to home. When scandals hit other programs, we see the initial stories but after a while we likely don't follow the stories as intensely as we do our own. And lets face it, the goal of many of these "journalists" today is to attract attention and get ratings (some, not all, mind you). It's just harder than ever now to follow your team or a story and filter out the noise.

But they were right. We weren't at Kentucky's level, no matter how you want to spin it. And just by citing the "0" on the right side of the W/L record begs the question of why Murray State wasn't afforded similar treatment.

I agree with br801 that the fanbase has a giant chip on its shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom