Myron Medcalf thinks we should be concerned | Syracusefan.com

Myron Medcalf thinks we should be concerned

two3zone

RIP Shark58
Why Gonzaga, UCLA and Syracuse should be concerned

Syracuse Orange
Syracuse is Syracuse. The program owns a piece of property on the bubble. That's the Orange's home. It's where they're most comfortable.
A week after squeezing by Georgetown, Syracuse lost to Old Dominion 68-62 on Saturday at the Carrier Dome. Last season, Syracuse reached the Sweet 16 after securing an 11-seed following an 8-10 finish in ACC play.

Well, here the Orange are again. Jim Boeheim's squad has losses to UConn, Oregon and Old Dominion -- three teams that could miss the NCAA tournament -- before the start of ACC play. With another middle-of-the-pack finish in the league, Syracuse could enter Selection Sunday without any guarantees. Again.
The Orange might need a midseason trade if things don't improve.
After missing early action with an ankle injury, Frank Howard has made just six of his 29 3-point attempts. Oshae Brissett, who averaged 17.0 PPG in the NCAA tournament last season, has made just 42 percent of his shots inside the arc this season. The team has made less than 30 percent of its shots beyond the arc.
After Saturday, all signs point to another rocky year for the Syracuse Orange. But, it seems, that's their preference.

Forget the 40 years of success, we are a bubble team nationally because of the last 5 years, when we were on probation throughout its entirety. The bubble is the worst. No one is comfortable there, especially not a program like ours. Throughout our history there have been times when we struggled a bit, but it pains me to think in today’s social media world, we are being stereotyped as a serial bubble team. I really hope JB can pull us out of this.

All that said, concern is definitely warranted this year, given our expectations.

Last edited:
We've actually been a bubble team for 8 of the last 14 years, dating back to 2006.

2006: Probably out until beating UCONN in Big East Quarters
2007: Just missed
2008: Just missed
2015: Probably out prior to self-imposed ban
2016: Just made it (10 seed but many thought that was generous)
2017: Just missed
2018: Just made it (last team in)
2019: Probably on the bubble (as of 12/16/18)

We've actually been a bubble team for 8 of the last 14 years, dating back to 2006.

Holy sh** if thats not an eye opener, i dont know what is

Forget the 40 years of success, we are a bubble team nationally because of the last 5 years, when we were on probation throughout its entirety. The bubble is the worst. No one is comfortable there, especially not a program like ours. Throughout our history there have been times when we struggled a bit, but it pains me to think in today’s social media world, we are being stereotyped as a serial bubble team. I really hope JB can pull us out of this.

All that said, concern is definitely warranted this year, given our expectations.

Lunardi called the bubble the Boeheim because of 06,07,08. Without doing the math, there probably isn’t a single relatively big name school that’s been on the bubble so many times in 13 years.

It’s absolutley outrageous that we have to worry about the bubble this year. And it isn’t the media’s fault. So with all do respect, do Cuse nation a favor and not blame it on the media this year.

Thanks to poppy for doing the math for me lol. I was so heated, I didn’t even scroll down yet.

We are on the bubble and every person on the planet has a right to say we own the bubble.

It’s absolutley outrageous that we have to worry about the bubble this year. And it isn’t the media’s fault. So with all do respect, do Cuse nation a favor and not blame it on the media this year.

I worry more about not being on the bubble this year, as the bubble looks like it will be be the high water mark for this group again.

Either way, how frustrating...

2009-2010 we had AO
2010-2011 we had Rick Jackson
2012-2014 we had Rak Christmas

When we have a talented big we aren’t on bubble. Now we need good guard play no doubt but the golden Era we had was fueled by being a complete team. With guards/wings and an actual big.

Right now we have a glut of SGs/wing players. No natural PG as Carey is young and no offensive big.

09-10 wasn't just AO, but the points stands. That team was one of the best teams I've ever seen at Syracuse and five guys who at least sniffed the NBA. Wes was the perfect embodiment of what Boeheim looks for in a wing.

I'm not sure anyone on this current team even gets summer league action.

09-10 wasn't just AO, but the points stands. That team was one of the best teams I've ever seen at Syracuse and five guys who at least sniffed the NBA. Wes was the perfect embodiment of what Boeheim looks for in a wing.

I'm not sure anyone on this current team even gets summer league action.

09-10 was our best team ever and I stand by that. The 7 players on that squad that played significant minutes is the best top 7 we have ever had and the results showed it. What a team. Just looked at the stats from that team... ridiculous balance. Had it all.

Lunardi called the bubble the Boeheim because of 06,07,08. Without doing the math, there probably isn’t a single relatively big name school that’s been on the bubble so many times in 13 years.

Just to clarify, I am not blaming the media for us being on the bubble for the last many years. That is our problem. However, I do think it's lazy journalism to say "Syracuse is most comfortable on the bubble," which has only been true for a select few years of our very proud history.

That is a depressing bit of research.

Just to clarify, I am not blaming the media for us being on the bubble for the last many years. That is our problem. However, I do think it's lazy journalism to say "Syracuse is most comfortable on the bubble," which has only been true for a select few years of our very proud history.

Agree to disagree. 8 out of 14 years is pretty strong evidence.

Why isn’t it considered “doom and gloom” when an espn writer says it?

Why Gonzaga, UCLA and Syracuse should be concerned

Syracuse Orange
Syracuse is Syracuse. The program owns a piece of property on the bubble. That's the Orange's home. It's where they're most comfortable.
A week after squeezing by Georgetown, Syracuse lost to Old Dominion 68-62 on Saturday at the Carrier Dome. Last season, Syracuse reached the Sweet 16 after securing an 11-seed following an 8-10 finish in ACC play.

Well, here the Orange are again. Jim Boeheim's squad has losses to UConn, Oregon and Old Dominion -- three teams that could miss the NCAA tournament -- before the start of ACC play. With another middle-of-the-pack finish in the league, Syracuse could enter Selection Sunday without any guarantees. Again.
The Orange might need a midseason trade if things don't improve.
After missing early action with an ankle injury, Frank Howard has made just six of his 29 3-point attempts. Oshae Brissett, who averaged 17.0 PPG in the NCAA tournament last season, has made just 42 percent of his shots inside the arc this season. The team has made less than 30 percent of its shots beyond the arc.
After Saturday, all signs point to another rocky year for the Syracuse Orange. But, it seems, that's their preference.
Myron Medcalf is a complete fool and joke of a writer. Having said that, we should be concerned.

09-10 was our best team ever and I stand by that. The 7 players on that squad that played significant minutes is the best top 7 we have ever had and the results showed it. What a team. Just looked at the stats from that team... ridiculous balance. Had it all.

Exactly.

I’m actually surprised by how few people disagree with this. For this fan base it’s shocking.

44cuse

Exactly.

I’m actually surprised by how few people disagree with this. For this fan base it’s shocking.

44cuse
2010 was an awesome team no doubt but I think the 2012 team was better.
2012 Dion Waiters is the best player we have had since Hak 2005/Carmelo 2003.

We had 3 elite guards that year Scoop/Triche/Waiters. MCW as the 4th guard.
We had depth on the wings Joseph/Fair/Southerland.
We had depth up front.
Christmas/Melo/Keita.

This team wins the NC if Anthony Davis the best college player of that decade isn’t a Frosh.

I enjoyed watching 2010 more because of the passing and overall love those guys had for each other but I think 2012 would win a 7 game series between the two.

Agree to disagree. 8 out of 14 years is pretty strong evidence.

Comparing the mid oughts to now is totally different. Those teams could score. We played crappy defense then. It’s the complete opposite now and there’s no tie to now. JB adjusted the defense after a few down years which lead to those great teams earlier this decade.

2010 was an awesome team no doubt but I think the 2012 team was better.
2012 Dion Waiters is the best player we have had since Hak 2005/Carmelo 2003.

We had 3 elite guards that year Scoop/Triche/Waiters. MCW as the 4th guard.
We had depth on the wings Joseph/Fair/Southerland.
We had depth up front.
Christmas/Melo/Keita.

This team wins the NC if Anthony Davis the best college player of that decade isn’t a Frosh.

I enjoyed watching 2010 more because of the passing and overall love those guys had for each other but I think 2012 would win a 7 game series between the two.

2010 would be favored according to KenPom.

Comparing the mid oughts to now is totally different. Those teams could score. We played crappy defense then. It’s the complete opposite now and there’s no tie to now. JB adjusted the defense after a few down years which lead to those great teams earlier this decade.

In 2016-2017 we had a team that was terrible at defense, but scored because we had 4 shooters on the floor at once. We still missed the tournament and the offense was tough to watch, often bailed out by White.

So what is the answer?

With shooters- bad offense. Without shooters- bad offense.