Myrtle Beach and Charleston Suggestions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Myrtle Beach and Charleston Suggestions

Is there public beach access near Charleston? I'm not really a rental guy and would prefer to do a hotel in the City and from there go out to the beach for a morning to two.

Is there public beach access near Charleston? I'm not really a rental guy and would prefer to do a hotel in the City and from there go out to the beach for a morning to two.
Folly Beach or Isle of Palms. I liked Isle of Palms better. Sullivan Island also nearby but less public parking and smaller beaches.

As noted Folly Beach or Isle of Palms are your best bet. Folly Beach has a ton of public beach access and has a very sort of laid back/cool vibe to it. Isle of Palms is nice as well and has some fantastic restaurants including Acme Lowcountry Kitchen which is absolutely outstanding.

Thinking of taking my wife to Charleston for her birthday this Jan/Feb. Looking at breeze and other flight options with an air BnB near king street. Looking for post covid recommendations on things to do, places to eat and places to drink (cocktails and microbreweries). Looking to avoid comas.

Brewery scene in Charleston is pretty good, tons of options. Definitely want to spend sometime at Charles Town Fermentory, brewer used to work at Trillium and you can see some similarities. Had a couple of nice varities when we were there, its right across the Ashley river. Revelry, Palmetto Brewing, tideland, LO-Fi are all good as well. Spend sometime in North Charleston and next door in Mt. Pleasant. Mt. Pleasant has a lot going inlcuding a nice cluster of breweries including Westbrooks main location. Real cool spot in the middle of an industrial park, highly recommended. Charleston also has a ton of ghost stuff to get involved with. We did a tour of the old jail that dates back to the revolution era and there are tours of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown that combine history with its so called haunted past, you learn some fascinating stuff.

Recommend checking out Isle of Palms or Folly Beach as well, Isle of Palms is a very easy drive from the heart of Charleston and both have a ton of pubic beach space.

As noted Folly Beach or Isle of Palms are your best bet. Folly Beach has a ton of public beach access and has a very sort of laid back/cool vibe to it. Isle of Palms is nice as well and has some fantastic restaurants including Acme Lowcountry Kitchen which is absolutely outstanding.
Acme is worth the trip up there from Charleston even if you don't go to the beach. Shrimp w/ truffled Grits that I still dream about.

Also, biscuits are big down there. Callie's Hot Little Biscuits are good, but Vicious Biscuits are amazing.

When are you going to make a tailgate?
Probably a few years from now. Between work, coaching and kid sports, there isn’t much time. Especially when my daughter doesn’t care for football games. I think the last one I went to was down in the old ontrack lot.

Brewery scene in Charleston is pretty good, tons of options. Definitely want to spend sometime at Charles Town Fermentory, brewer used to work at Trillium and you can see some similarities. Had a couple of nice varities when we were there, its right across the Ashley river. Revelry, Palmetto Brewing, tideland, LO-Fi are all good as well. Spend sometime in North Charleston and next door in Mt. Pleasant. Mt. Pleasant has a lot going inlcuding a nice cluster of breweries including Westbrooks main location. Real cool spot in the middle of an industrial park, highly recommended. Charleston also has a ton of ghost stuff to get involved with. We did a tour of the old jail that dates back to the revolution era and there are tours of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown that combine history with its so called haunted past, you learn some fascinating stuff.

Recommend checking out Isle of Palms or Folly Beach as well, Isle of Palms is a very easy drive from the heart of Charleston and both have a ton of pubic beach space.
Thanks for the info. Depending on what happens this week, we are going in January. So I can’t imagine too much beach time but the old jail tour is perfect for me.

Thanks for the info. Depending on what happens this week, we are going in January. So I can’t imagine too much beach time but the old jail tour is perfect for me.

They have a bunch of different ghost type tours that you can find online. We enjoyed both of them and there were a few others we didn't get to that sounded good.

Yes January is probably not goign to work for beach time but there will be plenty to do. The charleston city market is a must do and they have a nigh one as well I believe. If your into history at all Fort Moultrie and Sumter are right there as well. Moultrie was pretty interesting its on Sullivans Island which is a nice area with some real nice restaurants. We went to the Obstinante Daughter which was fantastic. Tons of little islands and areas to check out beyond Charleston itself.

Spent a week in Isle of Palms and Mount Pleasant last spring, with a day trip to Charleston. I could’ve easily settled in for longer. Very neat area. I’m not a huge beach guy at all, but definitely enjoyed that Isle of Palms beach.

Spent a week in Isle of Palms and Mount Pleasant last spring, with a day trip to Charleston. I could’ve easily settled in for longer. Very neat area. I’m not a huge beach guy at all, but definitely enjoyed that Isle of Palms beach.

Wife and I spent a week in late March/Early April in 2021 split between Charleston and Folly Beach. As you noted could have easily have spent another week +. Only spent one day in Isle of Psalms but it was great, easy beach access and overall nice area. Liked Mt. Pleasant a lot, had a ton of cool areas with dining and breweries and general stuff to do plus it was way easier to move around then Charleston itself where driving especially downtown can be a bit of an adventure. That whoel area from Sullivan island to Isle of Palms is great to explore. You would probably like Folly Beach as well, very laid back cool area.

Wife and I spent a week in late March/Early April in 2021 split between Charleston and Folly Beach. As you noted could have easily have spent another week +. Only spent one day in Isle of Psalms but it was great, easy beach access and overall nice area. Liked Mt. Pleasant a lot, had a ton of cool areas with dining and breweries and general stuff to do plus it was way easier to move around then Charleston itself where driving especially downtown can be a bit of an adventure. That whoel area from Sullivan island to Isle of Palms is great to explore. You would probably like Folly Beach as well, very laid back cool area.
Yeah, I went for a wedding in Mt. Pleasant, so spent the first few days there, and then a bunch of us rented a house in Isle of Palms for another 3-4 days and made the whole thing into a vacation. Drove through Sullivan Island a bunch of times but didn’t spend much time there just because there was so much to do in the area. Don’t remember hearing of Folly Beach. Would like to go back there someday.

Booked our trip for mid January. Looking forward to our first visit to charleston. Staying in French quarter to allow for my wife to sight see and shop. Wanted to go to husk since seeing No Reservations visit to Charleston, but they are closed for building updates while we are visiting. We did book the jail ghost tour, that should be interesting for us. My wife is a full on ghost believer and i have my doubts. Thanks to all of you that put recommendations and links in this chain.