Name your top moments in sports | Syracusefan.com

Name your top moments in sports

Toga

Living Legend
Ones that just made you go Wow or were simply monumental in some way. Here's a few.

Miracle on Ice
Secretariat Belmont
Thrilla in Manila
Hagler - Hearns Round 1 U.S comeback in 1999 Ryder Cup

Boston Red Sox and the miracle in October

Followed by Eli Manning's first time taking down Tom.

Ones that just made you go Wow or were simply monumental in some way. Here's a few.

Miracle on Ice
Secretariat Belmont
Thrilla in Manila
Hagler - Hearns Round 1 U.S comeback in 1999 Ryder Cup
I was too young for Secretariat and the Thrilla, but the others are all big time moments for me as well.

most of mine ill go with 1sts...

heres 2 that I was too young to have witnessed, but remember vividly...

1976 ALCS Chamblis Home Run. I remember my Dad telling me you have to watch the news to see this HR to send the Yankees to the WS, so we made sure to be done with dinner in time.
1977 Reggie Jackson 3 HRs again I was in bed and he told me all about the next morning. waiting all day for the damn 6pm news and then till 6:20 when they did the 5 minutes on sports was excruciating...
(1978 I stayed up for them all :mad:)

after that, the 1986 Giants was the 1st time 1 of my teams won when I was 100% invested in it. awesome.

the 1994 Rangers was the 1st time one of my teams won when I was living in NYC. best parade EVER. (what a day too...)

1996 Yankees was the 1st time they won when I could party like it was 1996

2003 Syracuse was unbelievable

2007 Eli takes down the undefeated patsies...my excitement and alcohol intake was probably equal to everything in my life combined.

1. 03 national title
2. 94 Rangers Stanley cup, really the whole summer of 94 with the Knicks run, and the World Cup being in the Usa, I went to the Italy/Bulgaria game at Giants Stadium
3. The first Cowboys sb I got to see in 92.
4. The Mets World Series run a couple years ago.

I wish I could back and see the Miracle on Ice, and the 86 Mets team.

• 4/7/2003
  • The 4 NYFG Super Bowl titles
  • Miracle in Ice
  • 1969 Mets WS title
  • 1994 NYR Stanley Cup

I was too young for Secretariat and the Thrilla, but the others are all big time moments for me as well.

most of mine ill go with 1sts...

heres 2 that I was too young to have witnessed, but remember vividly...

1976 ALCS Chamblis Home Run. I remember my Dad telling me you have to watch the news to see this HR to send the Yankees to the WS, so we made sure to be done with dinner in time.
1977 Reggie Jackson 3 HRs again I was in bed and he told me all about the next morning. waiting all day for the damn 6pm news and then till 6:20 when they did the 5 minutes on sports was excruciating...
(1978 I stayed up for them all :mad:)

after that, the 1986 Giants was the 1st time 1 of my teams won when I was 100% invested in it. awesome.

the 1994 Rangers was the 1st time one of my teams won when I was living in NYC. best parade EVER. (what a day too...)

1996 Yankees was the 1st time they won when I could party like it was 1996

2003 Syracuse was unbelievable

2007 Eli takes down the undefeated patsies...my excitement and alcohol intake was probably equal to everything in my life combined.
Your Kevin Maas story belongs on that list.

Considering all the circumstances: World Series, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, full count, down by 1, Gibson being badly injured, and a dominant closer on the mound, there's just no topping this. Even his celebration was perfect (you have no idea how many times I rounded the bases in the backyard and did that fist pump). The whole at bat was incredible, Vin Scully's commentary throughout the at bat, call of the HR, and silence afterwards just letting the the action and crowd tell the story was perfect too.

NY Jets Super Bowl win
Miracle on Ice
Cubs WS win 2016 with two incredible comebacks
St Louis Cards defeat Texas 2011 WS
2007 Fiesta Bowl Boise State over Nebraska in OT
1987 Fiesta Bowl PSU over Miami

Last edited:
Tiger's chip on the 16th hole in the 2005 Masters. Vern Lundquist: "Oh my goodness. OH WOW! In your LIFE have you seen anything like that!" Can't say that I have Vern.

David Tyree's Super Bowl catch, greatest catch ever in my opinion.

Gymnast Kerri Strug's last vault in the 1996 Olympics with 2 torn ligaments in her ankle.

Very memorable moments.

For me, it was hands-down being at Progressive Field to watch the Cubs win the World Series. Game 7 was an incredible roller coaster of emotions and being there to witness it in person is something I will never forget in a million years.

14907673_10154762903698623_2943198908222549782_n.jpg

Considering all the circumstances: World Series, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, full count, down by 1, Gibson being badly injured, and a dominant closer on the mound, there's just no topping this. Even his celebration was perfect (you have no idea how many times I rounded the bases in the backyard and did that fist pump). The whole at bat was incredible, Vin Scully's commentary throughout the at bat, call of the HR, and silence afterwards just letting the the action and crowd tell the story was perfect too.

Same day as the Notre Dame 31-30 victory over Miami. Although nothing compares with my love for Cuse football, attending that game and storming the field with thousands of other college kids ranks up there for me as well.

1. 03 national title
2. 94 Rangers Stanley cup, really the whole summer of 94 with the Knicks run, and the World Cup being in the Usa, I went to the Italy/Bulgaria game at Giants Stadium
3. The first Cowboys sb I got to see in 92.
4. The Mets World Series run a couple years ago.

I wish I could back and see the Miracle on Ice, and the 86 Mets team.
Ireland 1 - Italy 0

went to that a few days after the NYR parade, what a week...

looking at my list, and then adding in my other teams titles...I have now gone 5 years without 1 one of my teams in some sport, winning a Championship.

that is the longest drought for me since the '78 Yanks to the '86 Giants.

couple of close calls...2 Cuse F4s and a NYR Cup Final, but damn...the Yankees better get their arse in gear or this decade will be like the '80...

Boston Red Sox and the miracle in October

Followed by Eli Manning's first time taking down Tom.

So this means you're a Red Sox and New York Giants fan? If yes, wow.

So this means you're a Red Sox and New York Giants fan? If yes, wow.
I could start a new thread with this question for New York sports fans.
Are Yankees fans invariably Rangers and Giants fans? (assuming here Nets aren't really competition to Knicks)
Are Mets fans invariably Jets, and Islander / Devils fans?

Are Yankees fans invariably Rangers and Giants fans? (assuming here Nets aren't really competition to Knicks)
"The Core Four"

Yankees
Giants
Knicks
Rangers

"The Island 3"

Mets
Jets
Islanders
-Nets spent too much time in Jersey to continue to be grouped

you will get crossover Mets-Giants fans though and unless youre a frontrunner, the Knicks are universal.

anything else is basically an anomaly.

Last edited:

I'm NY Giants and Yankees (and only Knicks due to Carmelo)...but I can't imagine rooting for both a NY and a Boston team, no matter what. So much of my fandom is rooting against certain teams for their fanbase, that I can't see mixing them.

Back on topic (sort of), my best sports moments/endings personally, in order are:

1: 2003 Cuse
2: 2007 NY Giants (I nearly spontaneously cried when Plaxico caught the TD pass)
3: 2011 NY Giants
4: 1996 NY Yankees

As a sports fan, my best sports moments outside of my personal list (as in "did that just happen" singular moments, plays, etc.), in no particular order are:

-Kris Jenkins buzzer beater for Nova

-Steph Curry sinking 38-no doubt about it-footer to beat Thunder in Feb 2016 (though I dislike Curry, I was in awe)

-Novak Djokovic hitting an absolute rocket forehand---I don't care where this goes but I know where it's going--to save a match point against Federer in 2009 US Open

-GMac's 6 threes in first half of '03 championship...while not a singular moment, that and the 53 team points in the first half was pretty much a "what just happened" moment

-David Tyree helmet catch

-Gillon's buzzer beater vs. Duke this year

-Cippola's game tying shot (and pass from John Wallace) vs. Georgia 1996

"The Core Four"

Yankees
Giants
Knicks
Rangers

"The Island 3"

Mets
Jets
Islanders
-Nets spent too much time in Jersey to continue to be grouped

you will get crossover Mets-Giants fans though and unless youre a frontrunner, the Knicks are universal.

anything else is basically an anomaly.

Only reason I swap in the Mets for the Yankees is my grandma. She was a Mets fan and lived in Long Beach, LI and was a huge baseball fan. Otherwise I am a Giants, Knicks and Rangers fan from the core four.

My personal favorites are:

03 Cuse
All the Giants SBs, especially 42.
94 Rangers (Messier's guarantee and subsequent hat trick and then eventual title basically made me think he could walk on water)

In general, throwing some out there that I didn't see (sorry if they had been). Not necessarily my top moments:
Tyson/Buster Douglas (just finding out that result floored me)
Michael Johnson's 200/400
Tiger's '97 Masters
3 winning his first Dayton 500

My personal favorites are:

03 Cuse
All the Giants SBs, especially 42.
94 Rangers (Messier's guarantee and subsequent hat trick and then eventual title basically made me think he could walk on water)

In general, throwing some out there that I didn't see (sorry if they had been). Not necessarily my top moments:
Tyson/Buster Douglas (just finding out that result floored me)
Michael Johnson's 200/400
Tiger's '97 Masters
3 winning his first Dayton 500
Well, he could.

Hell, he could even skate on it!!!...

I'll show myself to the door...