Nashville-Knoxville-Ashville suggestions

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
Going on a Smokey Mtn road trip and planning on flying into Nashville, driving through Knoxville/Ashville, then leaving Charlotte. Any must sees (not really into country music, so Nashville might be more of a foodie destination...)

I hear Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is like Lake George on Steroids, so probably just grab a bite and drive through. Any suggestions on sites or must eat at restaraunts (not looking to break the bank) is much appreciated.

Thanks!

CuseFaninVT

Living Legend
If you end up in downtown Knoxville, I know a couple spots I'd recommend. Food is really good Balter Beerworks. Beer is okay, and if you get there for happy hour, it's pretty cheap - $3 for a 16 oz glass. They've got specials every night, so there's always something decent. Balter Beerworks, Knoxville - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Cru Bistro is a little nicer spot, so the prices will follow - Cru Bistro Downtown, Knoxville - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Good spot though.

Sweet Ps is a standard BBQ joint - no tableside service, but they have decent beers on tap.

Finally, if you've got a hankering for Korean, which my boss always does, try Kaya. It's really, really good.

Kaya Korean Restaurant, Knoxville - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Magistrate
Not sure how long you are planning on being in Nashville, but I would recommend staying downtown. I think it's a great walking city and I'm sure you might find one or two places interesting. Also, some great places for the best biscuits in the world. We hit up the Loveless Cafe. A little bit out of town, but the biscuits are worth the effort to get there.

Asheville has incredible food and craft beer options. Wicked Weed and Burial Beer Co. are my two favorites.

Cucina 24 and Rhubarb are both really great dinner options in downtown. For breakfast: The Sunny Point Cafe is really popular and has the best huevos rancheros I have ever had. Expect a wait here though.

If you have any extra time, I'd highly recommend going from Asheville down to Greenville, SC on your way to Charlotte. Greenville is about an hour south of Asheville and then you could pick up I-85 straight shot up to Charlotte.

One of the nicest downtowns you will ever see in your life. Can get pretty hot during the summer, but if you can handle the heat - year round Christmas lights in the trees, tons of shopping, over 200 restaurants/bars, every hotel known to man and "Falls Park at the Reedy" which provides a Riverwalk with 3 pedestrian bridges and a beautiful park through the middle of the city separating Main Street from the West End.

If you're in the area during the fall, October 12-14 is "Fall for Greenville", the Southeast's largest outdoor festival.

Fall for Greenville, SC | Official Website

Last edited:

NateW

All Conference
For Nashville-

The Sutler Saloon- bottomless mimosas, Bloody Mary bar, dynamite and creative brunch entrees. While a bluegrass band twangs on stage (at least the day we were there)

Bluebird Cafe- cozy, historic place for tunes.

Both are off the beaten path, which we loved.

Cuseregular

All American
Going on a Smokey Mtn road trip and planning on flying into Nashville, driving through Knoxville/Ashville, then leaving Charlotte. Any must sees (not really into country music, so Nashville might be more of a foodie destination...)

I hear Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is like Lake George on Steroids, so probably just grab a bite and drive through. Any suggestions on sites or must eat at restaraunts (not looking to break the bank) is much appreciated.

Thanks!
in asheville absolutely positively stop in for lunch or dinner the grove park inn. Very pricey to stay but Very historic, lots of presidents stayed there, great views. Literally the worlds greatest spa I've ever seen too so if you're splurging this is the place to do it.

Top Bottom