Nashville-Knoxville-Ashville suggestions | Syracusefan.com

Nashville-Knoxville-Ashville suggestions

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
Going on a Smokey Mtn road trip and planning on flying into Nashville, driving through Knoxville/Ashville, then leaving Charlotte. Any must sees (not really into country music, so Nashville might be more of a foodie destination...)

I hear Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is like Lake George on Steroids, so probably just grab a bite and drive through. Any suggestions on sites or must eat at restaraunts (not looking to break the bank) is much appreciated.

Thanks!

If you end up in downtown Knoxville, I know a couple spots I'd recommend. Food is really good Balter Beerworks. Beer is okay, and if you get there for happy hour, it's pretty cheap - $3 for a 16 oz glass. They've got specials every night, so there's always something decent. Balter Beerworks, Knoxville - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Cru Bistro is a little nicer spot, so the prices will follow - Cru Bistro Downtown, Knoxville - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Good spot though.

Sweet Ps is a standard BBQ joint - no tableside service, but they have decent beers on tap.

Finally, if you've got a hankering for Korean, which my boss always does, try Kaya. It's really, really good.

Kaya Korean Restaurant, Knoxville - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Not sure how long you are planning on being in Nashville, but I would recommend staying downtown. I think it's a great walking city and I'm sure you might find one or two places interesting. Also, some great places for the best biscuits in the world. We hit up the Loveless Cafe. A little bit out of town, but the biscuits are worth the effort to get there.

Asheville has incredible food and craft beer options. Wicked Weed and Burial Beer Co. are my two favorites.

Cucina 24 and Rhubarb are both really great dinner options in downtown. For breakfast: The Sunny Point Cafe is really popular and has the best huevos rancheros I have ever had. Expect a wait here though.

If you have any extra time, I'd highly recommend going from Asheville down to Greenville, SC on your way to Charlotte. Greenville is about an hour south of Asheville and then you could pick up I-85 straight shot up to Charlotte.

One of the nicest downtowns you will ever see in your life. Can get pretty hot during the summer, but if you can handle the heat - year round Christmas lights in the trees, tons of shopping, over 200 restaurants/bars, every hotel known to man and "Falls Park at the Reedy" which provides a Riverwalk with 3 pedestrian bridges and a beautiful park through the middle of the city separating Main Street from the West End.

If you're in the area during the fall, October 12-14 is "Fall for Greenville", the Southeast's largest outdoor festival.

Fall for Greenville, SC | Official Website

Last edited:
For Nashville-

The Sutler Saloon- bottomless mimosas, Bloody Mary bar, dynamite and creative brunch entrees. While a bluegrass band twangs on stage (at least the day we were there)

Bluebird Cafe- cozy, historic place for tunes.

Both are off the beaten path, which we loved.

Going on a Smokey Mtn road trip and planning on flying into Nashville, driving through Knoxville/Ashville, then leaving Charlotte. Any must sees (not really into country music, so Nashville might be more of a foodie destination...)

I hear Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is like Lake George on Steroids, so probably just grab a bite and drive through. Any suggestions on sites or must eat at restaraunts (not looking to break the bank) is much appreciated.

Thanks!
in asheville absolutely positively stop in for lunch or dinner the grove park inn. Very pricey to stay but Very historic, lots of presidents stayed there, great views. Literally the worlds greatest spa I've ever seen too so if you're splurging this is the place to do it.

If you are into craft beer, Asheville is a great place. So many breweries. Hit the South Slope for sure, but plenty to be found off the beaten path.

Great resource! I've heard good things about 'The Gulch' area as well in Nashville.

Really appreciate all the helpful suggestions!

Yeah, CuseCrew08 hit Asheville on the nose. Wicked Weed is fantastic. The food as well everywhere. Great farm-to-table stuff going on. Place is getting pricey and growing too fast much like a Nashville/Austin.

I know Nashville well. My brother teaches at Vandy and I do some work projects there. I personally hate The Gulch. It’s just a fake neighborhood created awhile ago with mid-rise condos and lots of modern buildings with chain restaurants galore. Chauhan Ale & Masala House is awesome though. Sort of mod/creative Indian fare. That’s in The Gulch. The hot chicken scene is worth trying. I’d avoid the hottest choices though. I love habanero/ghost chili stuff but the top of the heat scale at these places will be pure pain and ass fury aftermath for days. That being said, go to Bolton’s or Prince’s over Hattie B’s. Hattie B’s way more tourisy.
Germantown has some good food. 12 South neighborhood also. I also like Calypso Cafe (a couple locations) for quick Carribbean style rotisserie chicken with a few sides. Cheap and quick. Bearded Iris and Southern Grist for AWESOME hazy/unfiltered beers. Tailgate is good, too. Enjoy!

My mother in law lived in Asheville before she passed on.

Biltmore as mentioned above is an absolute can't miss. I was a big Newport fan when I lived back east & I loved going through the Newport mansions. Of course, those were just summer cottages for the ultra-rich of that era. I always wondered what the real homes were like. Well, yes, the Biltmore is IT. Mindboggling how huge it is - also a winery on-site.

Also, of interest, the Sandberg home.

If you are a trout lover, can't beat the Pisgah Inn which is a nice ride into the Blue Mountains.

Enjoy !!!

Bringing this back up

Wife and I are planning a two day trip to Asheville over New Years Eve

We are not going to do the Biltmore...sold out

We are staying downtown

Need some suggestions of current brewpubs and maybe a museum or cool little town to visit within an hour. Thanks in advance

Guinness

Bringing this back up

We are staying downtown

Need some suggestions of current brewpubs and maybe a museum or cool little town to visit within an hour. Thanks in advance

Guinness

The vineyard attached to the Biltmore complex sucks, don't do that. Otherwise you should be fine :)

Bringing this back up

We are staying downtown

Guinness

I remember Wicked Weed being one of the popular breweries. Funkatorium was another. I remember drinking and eating at both of them.

Been 3-4 years since I’ve been there so I’m blanking on names of others. But there were a ton of them in the same general area as the two I named.

I believe so...why I tagged him in my post
Dohh! I didn't see it because the color blended in at the bottom. Sorry about that. He must be on a break if we both called him out and he hasn't responded.

There are several breweries within walking distance of each other in the south slope area. Burial is great but I had a hard time finding a place to sit due to COVID restrictions. Same with Green Man. Wicked Weed often has a wait to get in. Not sure about the Funkatirium (which is also Wicked Weed). I really liked Eurisko- it was very quiet when we were there and I’d also recommend Bhramari and especially DISSOLVR.
As for food - it’s slightly expensive but we loved Curate (pronounced like Karate). Spanish style tapas. Also White Duck Taco and Chestnut (if you can get in). Agree on the other food suggestions being great too.

There are several breweries within walking distance of each other in the south slope area. Burial is great but I had a hard time finding a place to sit due to COVID restrictions. Same with Green Man. Wicked Weed often has a wait to get in. Not sure about the Funkatirium (which is also Wicked Weed). I really liked Eurisko- it was very quiet when we were there and I’d also recommend Bhramari and especially DISSOLVR.
As for food - it’s slightly expensive but we loved Curate (pronounced like Karate). Spanish style tapas. Also White Duck Taco and Chestnut (if you can get in). Agree on the other food suggestions being great too.
Nice...we are staying about 1/3 to 1/2 mile north at the Cambria from these places. Unfortunately the bars are closing at 10pm on New Year's Eve but I love the idea of walking back after a few pints.

Not a suggestion, just wanted to note that come May Allegiant is offering direct flights between Albany and Nashville twice per week (i think Fridays and Mondays). Pretty awesome.

Not a suggestion, just wanted to note that come May Allegiant is offering direct flights between Albany and Nashville twice per week (i think Fridays and Mondays). Pretty awesome.
Syracuse already has direct flights to Nashville via Allegiant. Don't know when they started but you can book them this month and every month through mid August.