Nassib for Heisman? | Syracusefan.com

Nassib for Heisman?

SWC75

Bored Historian
I keep hearing about how Johnny Manziel is going to win the Heisman. Even the Axeman, who each week lists the fact that the Heisman never goes to defesnive players on his "trash list" said that he favors Manziel over Manti T'eo. He listed Manziels' numbers:

272 compeltions in 400 attempts, (68.3%) for 3419 yards, (that's 12.5 per completion and 8.5 per attempt) 24 touchdowns and 8 interceptions.

I decided to look up Ryan Nassib's numbers for comparison:

283 of 448 (63.2%) for 3619 yards (12.9/8.1) with 24TDs and 9 picks.

Obviously Nassib isn't going to win the Heisman or even get invited to New York. My point is that Manziel's numbers aren't so wonderful that they demand he receive the Heisman over anyone else. Yes it's amazing he did that as a freshman and he had a big game in taking down Alabama, but I don't see an imperative here that he's got to win it.

I really think this is the year that a defensive player should win a Heisman. Notre Dame is where they are because of their defense and the defense is what it is because of T'eo. Even knowing that the Golden Dome has two Heismans that should have belonged to SU players, I will be disappointed if Teo doesn't get it and the upteenth hot quarterback does. It's not the Unitas award. It's the Heisman.

You're ignoring the fact that Johnny Football has also rushed for 1100 yards and 19 touchdowns.

I keep hearing about how Johnny Manziel is going to win the Heisman. Even the Axeman, who each week lists the fact that the Heisman never goes to defesnive players on his "trash list" siad that he favors Manziel over Manti T'eo. He listed Manziels' numbers:

272 compeltions in 400 attempts, (68.3%) for 3419 yards, (that's 12.5 per completion and 8.5 per attempt) 24 touchdowns and 8 interceptions.

Obviously Nassib isn't going to win the Heisman or even get invited to New York. My point is that Manziel's numbers aren't so wonderful that they demand he receive the Heisman over anyone else. Yes it's amazing he did that as a freshman and he had a big game in taking down Alabama, but I don't see an imperative here that he's got to win it.

I really think this is the year that a defensive player should win a Heisman. Notre Dame is where they are because of their defense and the defense is what it is because of T'eo. Even knowing that the Golden Dome has two Heismans that should have belonged to SU players, I will be disappointed if Tee doesn't get it and the upteenth hot quarterback does. It's not the Untias aqward. It's the Heisman.

I think with Manziel you have to take into account the 1,180 rushing yards that he had. That's a TON of rushing yards.
As well as the 10 wins aTm had in the SEC.

That being said T'eo has been amazing with 7 picks for a LB...

I wouldn't have a problem with either winning the award

EDIT...everyone beating me to the rushing yards

also ignoring that the player has to be on a team that is relevant on the national scene, nassib?

You're ignoring the fact that Johnny Football has also rushed for 1100 yards and 19 touchdowns.
just a minor detail.

omitted to make a point pumping nassib.

I keep hearing about how Johnny Manziel is going to win the Heisman. Even the Axeman, who each week lists the fact that the Heisman never goes to defesnive players on his "trash list" said that he favors Manziel over Manti T'eo. He listed Manziels' numbers:

I really think this is the year that a defensive player should win a Heisman. Notre Dame is where they are because of their defense and the defense is what it is because of T'eo. Even knowing that the Golden Dome has two Heismans that should have belonged to SU players, I will be disappointed if Teo doesn't get it and the upteenth hot quarterback does. It's not the Unitas award. It's the Heisman.

I remember Tim Brown returning a punt for a TD for an above average ND in a big win over an above average USC to win the Heisman, it makes Citizen Kane proud.

I don't recall Axe quoting the rushing numbers so I just looked at the passing numbers. Those are amazing. I guess Nassib plus Jerome Smith would have been a better comparison. But I still go for Teo, whose team is in the national championship game because of him.

Rushing counts

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't recall Axe quoting the rushing numbers so I just looked at the passing numbers. Those are amazing. I guess Nassib plus Jerome Smith would have been a better comparison. But I still go for Teo, whose team is in the national championship game because of him.

How many tackles did Teo have vs USC?

Marquis Lee is the best player in the college football this year, but the award should be renamed the top QB or RB from one of the best teams in the nation. Te'o doesn't deserve the Heisman he doesn't rush the passer, he doesn't play special teams, he doesn't play offense all he has done is make tackles (a lot of them) and intercepted 7 passes. Jarvis Jones or Jadeveon Clowney have been more dominant defensive players, but they don't play for Notre Dame. Manziel is going to the win the award so it doesn't matter anyway.

Other have already said it. Rushing stats are insane in addition to his solid passing numbers.

I think they said on Mike and Mike yesterday that his total yards and touchdowns are already better than Cam Newton's the year he won the Heisman, and he still has one game left in the regular season. That definitely makes him Heisman worthy.

Cali just called again. He thinks you should look at Johnny Football's rushing stats.

I will add that winning at Alabama would be a big differentiator in passing stats.

Marquis Lee is the best player in the college football this year, but the award should be renamed the top QB or RB from one of the best teams in the nation. Te'o doesn't deserve the Heisman he doesn't rush the passer, he doesn't play special teams, he doesn't play offense all he has done is make tackles (a lot of them) and intercepted 7 passes. Jarvis Jones or Jadeveon Clowney have been more dominant defensive players, but they don't play for Notre Dame. Manziel is going to the win the award so it doesn't matter anyway.

Could not agree more. Lee is easily the most dominant player in college.

On D, I agree, Clowney and Jones are beasts.

I thought the bylaws of the Heisman Trophy committee stipulated that if there is an ND player even remotely in the conversation, then they are automatically awarded the trophy. Did they change that??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom