National Interscholastic Basketball Conference set to begin in 2021-22 season | Syracusefan.com

National Interscholastic Basketball Conference set to begin in 2021-22 season

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

The National Interscholastic Basketball Conference will feature traditional powers Oak Hill, Montverde, IMG Academy (Florida), La Lumiere School (Indiana), Sunrise Christian Academy (Kansas) and Wasatch Academy (Utah), along with two other schools yet to be announced. The eight teams will play a 10-game regular season, play in special NIBC events and hold a postseason tournament.

Was just coming to post about this. My initial reaction is that I hate it. Though there also isn't a whole lot of benefit to the elite kids/teams just smashing normal teams 88-40 a bunch of times locally.

Was just coming to post about this. My initial reaction is that I hate it. Though there also isn't a whole lot of benefit to the elite kids/teams just smashing normal teams 88-40 a bunch of times locally.
Yeah I don't think this is good and I can't really put my finger on why.

Because it smacks of the general trend in sports (and really every other nook and cranny in popular culture) to try and commercialize everything. We are now reaching down to HS to squeeze every last penny out of anything that has the potential to secure sponsorships and broadcast money.

Is there any doubt that if this does come to fruition you will be seeing games on one of the ESPN channels.

The kids won't be seeing any money, but someone will.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I bet the kids will enjoy increased attention and playing against the best competition more often is only good for their development

Why don't they just pull the top kids out and do split days sports/education like they do for kids that ski and other sports for high end prospects?

And, sure, do an end of "season" tournament.

Stop having kids focus on AAU, hopping high schools, etc. Just set up the top kids so that at the very least they get 1) a true, consistent education and 2) high-level and talent-appropriate training and competition.

This is to elite HS what Big Monday was to Syracuse/Big East Basketball in late 1980s. Between this and the Overtime Elite League, the celebration of basketball at the younger age could takeaway whatever we had left of being a "platform" for a one-and-doner.

Thank goodness we have a friend that helped City Rocks.

This would seem to limit the amount of time these kids are actually in classrooms. With Oak Hill in rural Virginia, Montverde in the Orlando area, IMG in the Tampa Bay area, La Lumiere in Indiana, Sunrise Christian in the Wichita area and Wasatch Academy in the Utah mountains, it seems like the players will be spending lots of time flying to their games, as well busing to and from distant airports. (Though maybe these kids were missing lots of classes with their schools' usual schedules, anyway).

Wait for the TV contract.
How soon before a parent sues this new “conference” for adequate compensation involving NIL? It’s the same isht, different day...except HS.

We are closer and closer to a soccer academy like system for basketball.

which will be much better for the kids, imo.

Agree with all of this.

It's crazy it's not there yet.

Soon it'll be just top 5 star kids at each school, "Scholarships " will be given, supplemented by deep pocket alumn. Then kids and/or parents getting po'd over playing time or how the coach is using their kid. Followed by a transfer portal.

I can put my finger on it. It puts basketball ahead of the interests of school... namely the education of our youth. Just stupid. High schoolers don’t need a National league. AAU can cover any games kids need to play outside of school. Focus on educating kids, not basketball. Sheesh!

Might be wrong, but this may also lead to more direct to the G league activity !
More hype, bigger heads, chase the $$$$ !

How soon before a parent sues this new “conference” for adequate compensation involving NIL? It’s the same isht, different day...except HS.
Only the NCAA says the can’t

I can put my finger on it. It puts basketball ahead of the interests of school... namely the education of our youth. Just stupid. High schoolers don’t need a National league. AAU can cover any games kids need to play outside of school. Focus on educating kids, not basketball. Sheesh!
Hockey has been taking 16 YO out of their high schools and into Jrs for decades. Nobody cared about their education

Hockey has been taking 16 YO out of their high schools and into Jrs for decades. Nobody cared about their education
So are you saying those hockey players didn’t get educated? Did they take a different path to an education? Do you think the same dynamics will be at play for basketball? Or are there other socioeconomic conditions that will influence this move?

So are you saying those hockey players didn’t get educated? Did they take a different path to an education? Do you think the same dynamics will be at play for basketball? Or are there other socioeconomic conditions that will influence this move?
The post to which I responded questioned whether the players would be educated, merely because of this league. My point was kids have been going out of the school systems to pursue athletics for decades, and no fans cared about their education.
The basketball players have to be educated. Every state has mandatory education laws. In truth, they will likely be better educated at the prep school than the public school, in general.

They already do this.

If everyone wants to pay for the travel why stop them?